Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,597 members, 7,801,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. (7042 Views)

Police Officers Come In And Educate Us / I Need Someone To Educate Me On Car Age Import Restriction. / Who Can Educate Me On Honda CRV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by KunleA2(m): 9:01am On Mar 22, 2010
I am trying to brush up on my knowledge of powerbikes in Nigeria. Are there any very popular makes/models riders are crazy about?

Like say Honda Allah/Babyboy/EOD or Toyota Corolla/Camry equivalent as far as powerbikes are concerned?

Any idea on prices? I am somewhat a novice in the field of powerbikes but can catch on quickly.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 22, 2010
Try Kawasaki and suzuki. BMW does great ones too. 250cc is great but 500cc is better. grin
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2010
Lol @ Chips

I'm sure K.A. is now even more confused with your post!

K.A. There are loosely, two categories of riders in Nigeria
The Newbies and the experienced hands. The experienced chaps prefer to order bikes by themselves or through friends (ie preorder) and would most likely not buy a bike on ground already.
Experienced chaps usually go for the litre bikes and above - by this I mean 1000cc and above
Popular Sport bikes in this category include:
Note: 2006 onwards are preffered
Yamaha YZF-R1
Suzuki GSXR 1000
Suzuki GSXR 1300 (aka Hayabusa)
Honda CBR1000 (aka Fireblade)
Kawasaki ZX10R
Kawasaki ZX14R

To be Continued. . . . . . . .
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
Dunno what happened to my post but here it is again.

2 broad categories of riders: Newbies and Old Hands

Experiend chaps:
Prefer to buy bikes themselves or preorder through a friend etc
Medium to low chances of buying a bike already on ground in Naija
Common Sports bikes in this category (2006 onwards)
Yamaha R1
Suzuki GSXR1000
Suzuki GSXR1300 (aka Hayabusa)
Kawasaki ZX10R
Kawasaki ZX14R

Another category of bikes patronised by the old hands are Street bikes/N@ked Bikes/Street Fighters

In this category are: (remember, 2006 onwards)
Yamaha FZ1
Honda CB1000
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki Bandit 1200
Honda VFR 800 Interceptor
Honda VFR 1200
BMW also offers something in this category but names escape me now

Continued still. . . . . . . .
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
Zoom! Zoom!! Zoom!!! Ride on rider.
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 2:18pm On Mar 22, 2010
Shagati:

Experiend chaps:
Prefer to buy bikes themselves or preorder through a friend etc and also 1000cc and above
Yamaha R1
Suzuki GSXR1000
Kawasaki ZX10R
Kawasaki ZX14R

Another category of bikes patronised by the old hands are Street bikes/N@ked Bikes/Street Fighters

Yamaha FZ1
Honda CB1000
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki Bandit 1200
Honda VFR 1200

Newbies on the other hand would rather go for 600cc bikes
Sports
Yamaha R6
Suzuki GSXR600
Suzuki GSXR750
Honda CBR600
Kawasaki ZX6R
Kawasaki ZX6RR

Road/Street fighter/N@ked
Yamaha FZ6
Suzuki Katana 600 etc etc

To view pictures of the different bikes mentioned just go to www.bikez.com
Fantasic site for research on bikes

If in need of further info, dont hesitate to holla

Ahem, by the way, I ride a 2008 Yamaha YZF-R1 (pictured)
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 4:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
Admin
Why do my posts keep getting deleted?
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ask the moderator. grin
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 8:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
Quote from: Shagati on Today at 01:41:18 PM

Experiend chaps:
Prefer to buy bikes themselves or preorder through a friend etc and also 1000cc and above
Yamaha R1
Suzuki GSXR1000
Kawasaki ZX10R
Kawasaki ZX14R

Yamaha FZ1
Honda CB1000
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki Bandit 1200
Honda VFR 1200

Sports
Yamaha R6
Suzuki GSXR600
Suzuki GSXR750
Honda CBR600
Kawasaki ZX6R
Kawasaki ZX6RR

Road/Street fighter/N@ked
Yamaha FZ6

Ahem, by the way, I ride a 2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 8:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
Quote from: Shagati on Today at 01:41:18 PM

Experiend chaps:
Yamaha R1
Suzuki GSXR1000
Kawasaki ZX10R
Kawasaki ZX14R

Another category of bikes patronised by the old hands are Street bikes/Street Fighters

Yamaha FZ1
Honda CB1000
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki Bandit 1200
Honda VFR 1200

Sports
Yamaha R6
Suzuki GSXR600
Suzuki GSXR750
Honda CBR600
Kawasaki ZX6R
Kawasaki ZX6RR

Road/Street fighter/
Yamaha FZ6

Ahem, by the way, I ride a 2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 12:22pm On Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for clearing my post Admin

Kunle-A, what say ye?

Revert as appropriate

Cheers
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 7:48am On Mar 24, 2010
Where is Kunle-A?
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by KunleA2(m): 8:17am On Mar 24, 2010
Shagati:

Where is Kunle-A?

I am still here. Thanks for your extensive reply. I was looking at the list of the bikes a while ago and falling in love. i am not a rider at present but will like to start. I fear broken bones too, so i have to pause a little.

The Honda Goldwing seem like the bike i will like to have. They are reputed to be very comfortable. Especially on long rides. Brand New can run up to $20,000  shocked. So used it is. Pics below

Are you a frequent rider?

Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by snthesis(m): 8:39am On Mar 24, 2010
u shouldnt ride without the proper accesories, u can always join nigerian biker's forum on www.nigeria-bikers.com and if u ar interested in accesories you can log onto www.metallichorses.com.
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 7:23pm On Mar 25, 2010
Kunle-A:

The Honda Goldwing seem like the bike i will like to have. They are reputed to be very comfortable. Especially on long rides.

Hmmm Goldwing! ! ! ?
Sincere advice to you is. . . . scrap the thought of the Goldwing and dont fall into the trap of the chap that bought a Yamaha FJR Automatic as his first bike. FJR weighs in at a princely 270kg! ! ! !
My bike (2008 Yamaha R1) weighs 186kg (dry weight) and up to 200kg with oils, fluids and petrol. This is considered a lightweight bike as it is a thoroughbred track bike and sholud be so to be able to attain speeds of nearly 300km/h.

Now the Goldwing? That's another story entirely. You need at least some experience to be able to even sit on the Goldwing and keep it upright! I am not kidding embarassed

As a first time rider, I recommend the Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc) or the FZ6 (600cc). They are street fighers and are very good as first bikes.
Do some more research in terms of the above and let me know what your take is

Yes I am a regular rider (At least 150km on weekends - I dont ride to work during the week)
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by DRIV3R: 10:25pm On Nov 03, 2011
Shagati

Bros, you seem to know muich abt bikes.

I love bike and want to learn how to ride.
I wud like to know more abt the GSXR750.
Would it be a good bike for a beginner?
What is the weight?
Where can I order from?
How much ?
And any other info you think would be helpful

thank you
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by DRIV3R: 10:29pm On Nov 03, 2011
Shagati

I love bikes and want to learn how to ride.

The bike in the pic belogs to a friend.

What is the weight?
Where can I order from?
How much ?

thank you

Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by DRIV3R: 10:30pm On Nov 03, 2011
Shagati

What is the weight?
Where can I order from?
How much ?

thank you
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 9:54am On Nov 04, 2011
Lol. Yes I try

Deciding to ride bikes on the streets of Nigeria with the crazy roads and crazier drivers is a BIG thing!
You have to even the odds in your favour by investing in proper skills training, re-training, the right mindset and the correct gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, protective pants and above the ankle motorcycle boots

That's a 2005 Triumph Daytona 675cc in the picture
And yes, I know Scome  wink

A powerful bike. It all depends on your mindset and approach to riding. I know someone that bought a Hayabusa (1300cc) as his first bike and had no issues. I would suggest a GSXR 600 for you instead. Still powerful but more forgiving of wrist mistakes on/with the throttle. Go to www.bikez.com to view bike profiles. You would get info on weight, power, dimensions etc

See comment above

Where can I order from?
There are a lot of good bikes on ground in Nigeria to choose from
I can give you some leads here

How much ?
You can get a good Gixxer 600 for between N500k - N850k

There is a riding school in Ikeja
4 lessons on 4 Saturdays and that's it!
Call Ride Easy Ltd on 08032011772 for details

Thank you
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 10:09am On Nov 04, 2011
Find below the website of the riding school

http://www.rideeasylimited.com/
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by DRIV3R: 10:19am On Nov 04, 2011
Shagati!!!
U do know bikes.

Thanks a million!!!
I would like to connect with u. U seem intresting.
My email address
is jaguda@gloworld.blackberry.com

Holla @ your boy,
Holla back bro.
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 10:56am On Nov 04, 2011
You've got mail! cool
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by stewie(m): 8:25pm On Jan 14, 2012
Shagati:

Hmmm Goldwing! ! ! ?
Sincere advice to you is. . . . scrap the thought of the Goldwing and dont fall into the trap of the chap that bought a Yamaha FJR Automatic as his first bike. FJR weighs in at a princely 270kg! ! ! !
My bike (2008 Yamaha R1) weighs 186kg (dry weight) and up to 200kg with oils, fluids and petrol. This is considered a lightweight bike as it is a thoroughbred track bike and sholud be so to be able to attain speeds of nearly 300km/h.

Now the Goldwing? That's another story entirely. You need at least some experience to be able to even sit on the Goldwing and keep it upright! I am not kidding embarassed

As a first time rider, I recommend the Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc) or the FZ6 (600cc). They are street fighers and are very good as first bikes.
Do some more research in terms of the above and let me know what your take is

Yes I am a regular rider (At least 150km on weekends - I dont ride to work during the week)

Bros,

FZ6 or FZ1000 aren't 'Streetfighters' oh! They're conventional 'Road Bikes'.

And did u just advice the dude that the 1000cc is a "good first bike"?

You also seem to be a member of ERMC, having referenced the riding skool and Metallic Horses Ltd

Deuces
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by snthesis(m): 1:25am On Jan 15, 2012
^^^ me sef dey in shock, haba 1000cc for a 1st timer shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

point of correction 1st timers shud be doing 250cc till dey get a feel of being at one with the bike. remember the bike gets heavier wit the d engine capacity, and dis inadvertently complicates balance esp for a newbie tongue
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 12:59pm On Feb 13, 2012
stewie:

Bros,
FZ6 or FZ1000 aren't 'Streetfighters' oh! They're conventional 'Road Bikes'.
And did u just advice the dude that the 1000cc is a "good first bike"?
You also seem to be a member of ERMC, having referenced the riding skool and Metallic Horses Ltd
Deuces

Lol!
Too true, I must have been high on something when I recommended a litre bike for a 1st timer
I was just thinking in terms of the de-tuned power. Still doesnt make sense though

Depending on the metal make-up of the chap's balls, 250-600cc is a good place to start riding

Nope, not an Easyrider  tongue

snthesis:

^^^ me sef dey in shock, haba 1000cc for a 1st timer shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
point of correction 1st timers shud be doing 250cc till dey get a feel of being at one with the bike. remember the bike gets heavier wit the d engine capacity, and dis inadvertently complicates balance esp for a newbie tongue

Once again I concur
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by azpekuliar: 7:17am On Feb 14, 2012
I am a Sportbike enthusiast and I have thoroughly researched bikes for the last one year regarding what bike to start on. I initially thought of starting out on the Kawasaki NInja 250R, but I have since discovered that it's the sort of bike you would quickly outgrow and begin wanting more uummmpphhh. And you know the sort of country we live in, you begin to think of how to trade in or dispose the present bike and save up to upgrade again. So I switched my thoughts to the Yamaha FZ 8/Fazer 8 after briefly considering it's younger brother the FZ 6. Its a detuned street bike with very good low to mid range power quite suitable for beginners, forgiving but still with plenty of power you wouldn't outgrow so soon. But then again it's expensive. Infact it debuted in 2008 and only started getting imported to the US market last year. Now I think I've settled on something, the 2008 Suzuki GSX R 600 RR. It has three selectable drive modes A,B, & C. With C cutting off power output by 50percent. I intend to get this and ride on C mode for a while, while building my riding skill level and gaining experience. What's more while doing this you're still driving a thoroughbred middleweight sports bike. I have made this choice cos its the only bike in its class that offers this reduced power at the touch of a button. If I had experience and I were to make a pick out of the 600cc's I'd go for the Yamaha R6, years 2006-onwards.

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by azpekuliar: 7:27am On Feb 14, 2012
I am a Sportbike enthusiast and I have thoroughly researched bikes for the last one year regarding what bike to start on. I initially thought of starting out on the Kawasaki NInja 250R, but I have since discovered that it's the sort of bike you would quickly outgrow and begin wanting more uummmpphhh. And you know the sort of country we live in, you begin to think of how to trade in or dispose the present bike and save up to upgrade again. So I switched my thoughts to the Yamaha FZ 8/Fazer 8 after briefly considering it's younger brother the FZ 6. Its a detuned street bike with very good low to mid range power quite suitable for beginners, forgiving but still with plenty of power you might never outgrow. But then again it's expensive. Infact it debuted in 2008 and only started getting imported to the US market last year. Now I think I've settled on something, the 2008 Suzuki GSX R 600 RR. It has three selectable drive modes A,B, & C. With C cutting off power output by 50percent. I intend to get this and ride on C mode for a while, while building my riding skill level and gaining experience. What's more while doing this you're still driving a thoroughbred middleweight sports bike. I have made this choice cos its the only bike in its class that offers this reduced power at the touch of a button. If I had experience and I were to make a pick out of the 600cc's I'd go for the Yamaha R6, years 2006-onwards.
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by azpekuliar: 7:31am On Feb 14, 2012
Wondering why there isn't yet a dedicated active thread for bikers on Nairaland?
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 8:56am On Feb 14, 2012
@ Azpekuliar

Your analysis of the 250 is spot on!
I would never recommend a 250cc for anyone that is serious about riding. You would outgrow it in a week at the most. I outgrew my first Honda CBR 250 bike in 30minutes. Luckily, my cousin was on hand to buy it off me after I had owned it for just one day wink
A tame 600cc is the way to go

azpekuliar:

Wondering why there isn't yet a dedicated active thread for bikers on Nairaland?

I have even gone as far as requesting same from the moderators but it seems we dont the critical mass to keep a Biker Child Board active
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Okijajuju1(m): 9:22am On Feb 14, 2012
Wow!!

A bike thread.

@ Shagati. . . Tuale baba!! You are indeed a biker.

I use to own a bike back in my university days. I was very inexperienced and bought a beat up Kawasaki ZZR 600 which I rode for barely 4 months before it parked up. I threw it in a bin somewhere and walked away.

Now I'm looking to get back into my biking and I am at a loss as to which bike to get.

Ask for a first timer, it really depends on the size of the persons balls. 250cc would be fine for a scaredy cat, 750 would be perfect for a first timer IMO.

Please advice on a very good bike for me and the average cost of such bikes on ground in Nigeria so I can compare against prices abroad.
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by Shagati(m): 9:54am On Feb 14, 2012
Re: Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. by mastro: 10:06am On Feb 14, 2012
I am a Sportbike enthusiast and I have thoroughly researched bikes for the last one year regarding what bike to start on. I initially thought of starting out on the Kawasaki NInja 250R, but I have since discovered that it's the sort of bike you would quickly outgrow and begin wanting more uummmpphhh. And you know the sort of country we live in, you begin to think of how to trade in or dispose the present bike and save up to upgrade again. So I switched my thoughts to the Yamaha FZ 8/Fazer 8 after briefly considering it's younger brother the FZ 6. Its  a detuned street bike with very good low to mid range power quite suitable for beginners, forgiving but still with plenty of power you wouldn't outgrow so soon. But then again it's expensive. Infact it debuted in 2008 and only started getting imported to the US market last year. Now I think I've settled on something, the 2008 Suzuki GSX R 600 RR. It has three selectable drive modes A,B, & C. With C cutting off power output by 50percent. I intend to get this and ride on C mode for a while, while building my riding skill level and gaining experience. What's more while doing this you're still driving a thoroughbred middleweight sports bike. I have made this choice cos its the only bike in its class that offers this reduced power at the touch of a button. If I had experience and I were to make a pick out of the 600cc's I'd go for the Yamaha R6, years 2006-onwards.

Azpekuliar you are spot on, well researched, 600's are indeed the sweet spot, i will point out though that GSX600rr's are out and out sports bikers so the riding position is not the most comfortable so you might be better off with a GSX650F http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/gsx650fl0/ however bikes are brought with the heart, so buy what you really want, also training is your friend, do as much as you can before buying a bike, Naija roads take no prisoners.

As for the reduced power mode, don't make it a deal breaker, 600's require lots of Revs to generate decent power, so on an R6 if you keep the Revs below  7000 or so it's a pussy cat, the only question is can you restrain yourself, it's all in the wrist.

Oh and I ride a 600 and never find myself being left behind by litre bikes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rolls-Royce And Intel Announce Autonomous Ship Collaboration / 2019 Prophesies On Cartalk Gazzuzz. / Between An Hyundai Ix35 And Lexus Rx330. Which Is Better Option

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.