Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,601 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! (879 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / 'return Me To My Former Shape Before A Divorce' - Wife Tells Husband / He Reveals His True Identity And Wants A Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Vie(f): 12:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
I got maried abt 6 months ago at Ikeja Local government. We did not do a wine carrying or church wedding. However, his family do not want the union as they were not aware and so have refused to give their blessing. True, we are both adults but i believe a family blessing is very important and haven kept me a secret from his family worries me so i need to know what process and steps to take to get out of this marriage.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 22, 2010
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Vie(f): 2:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
No, we dont have any kids. We have not even lived together as a couple as he has not been in the contry since. I just found out that there's another woman and he has bluntly told me he would rather be with the other woman. I dont want him being with me out of pity cos he believes i have a weal composition in health.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by cibilola(f): 2:57pm On Mar 22, 2010
I don't know how divorces work in Lagos, but i was told you have to be married for at least a year! undecided i think you should go to a lawyer . . . undecided
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by coolier(f): 3:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
Vie:

However, his family do not want the union as they were not aware and so have refused to give their blessing. True, we are both adults but i believe a family blessing is very important and haven kept me a secret from his family worries me

You mean you actually went ahead with a wedding without having met any of his family and now you want their blessings. Do you still have parents? were they part of the wedding or unavoidably absent as well? What sort of person are you? it's so convenient for you to rush into marriage without thinking and want out again so soon.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Vie(f): 3:37pm On Mar 22, 2010
@ Coolier.

Nice, I didnt expect anything less. Anymore name calling wil be well derserved too.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Vie(f): 3:39pm On Mar 22, 2010
@ Coolier.

Nice, I didnt expect anything less. Anymore name calling wil be well derserved too.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 22, 2010
Vie:

@ Coolier.

coolier asked some important questions that you didnt answer:

- if you believe that a family blessing is important, then why did you go ahead at the first place without their blessing?!
-where was YOUR family during this marriage?
- who was present then if his family wasnt there?!
- why did you get married at the first place?

since he doesnt have any need for you any longer, i suggest you go see a lawyer and start divorce proceedings on whatever you THOUGHT you had.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by benedictac(f): 4:51pm On Mar 24, 2010
This is what most desperate girls go thru. This is what we call Lagos marriage. I will never be a party to divorce u entered it alone so find how to come out alone. I just dont know what is wrong with some girls.

There is one close to me, the guy only said "I want to" him never even say "Marry u" finish the lady is already pratically leaving there. What is really the problem with girls nowadays.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 24, 2010
^^^^^its society that produces these "people".
a society that has people believe that you are nothing until you are married.
a society that has people believe that only through marriage can you find happiness or go anywhere.
a society that has people believe that only married can you succeed in life.
a society that has people believe that being a single mother is the end of the world and therefore being pregnant means that YOU HAVE TO GET MARRIED. . . . . . . . with just about "anybody"!

a NL female poster once wrote that:"married women are put on a higher scale in society, that a single woman/mother will get "absolutely nowhere" without a ring on her finger.
she wont get into certain members clubs- she wont get certain jobs- she cant get into certain positions- her children wont get certain opportunities or into certain schools"

when people start to think like that then i completely understand why there are people who find themselves in the poster's predicament.
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by spicymum(f): 11:00am On Mar 25, 2010
Y do people judge so easily? The lady asked for some advice, not condemnation or lectures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you dont have any advice for her (or questions that U can ask in a civilized manner, why dont you just move on to the next thread.
Jeez!
Re: The Necessary Steps To Take In A Divorce: Urgent! by benedictac(f): 11:26am On Mar 25, 2010
spicymum:

Y do people judge so easily? The lady asked for some advice, not condemnation or lectures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you dont have any advice for her (or questions that U can ask in a civilized manner, why dont you just move on to the next thread.
Jeez!
my dear, no one is condemning her but we just talking for others to learn. for the poster, what kind of advice do u want to give to her? do u want to be part of her divorce? I dont think anyone wants to be. there is no advice for such, i can join u to enter fire that is my policy. she saw the fire before she chose to enter.

there is a saying that "a wise man learns from his own mistakes but a wiser man learns from others mistakes" so let others beware.

(1) (Reply)

Going To Registry / Women Lounge: Pregnacy Help / @op

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.