Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower (33078 Views)

How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? / Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Bukky001(m): 5:35pm On Nov 13, 2017
Please my people, I just checked my result now and found out that I had 2.2. (second class lower). I need your contributions on the pros and cons of graduating with such grade. I look forward to your contributions. Thanks. Please MOD help me shift it to frontpage please

1 Like

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Prec1ous(m): 6:13pm On Nov 13, 2017
The truth is that you may struggle at first.

You need to diversify and buuld up on your strenghts.

Learn new skills.

Be the best you can be.

You know what is funny? When you can build your strenght and abilities, your grade will never mean anything to you.

40 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Ajebusta(m): 6:42pm On Nov 13, 2017
lol
..dont be scared.... only few students graduate with first class... most people are in your category

39 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 13, 2017
Prec1ous:
The truth is that you may struggle at first.

You need to diversify and buuld up on your strenghts.

Learn new skills.

Be the best you can be.

You know what is funny? When you can build your strenght and abilities, your grade will never mean anything to you.
Sounds Great!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 13, 2017
There are no pros, just cons. Your chances of succeeding depends on how smart you are and how you utilize it in managing the cons.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:23pm On Nov 13, 2017
As the poster before me just said there are no pros only cons. Doing a masters degree in a good university will be almost impossible with that grade so that option is out of it. A dream job will remain a dream job. Your best bet is to start a business or start acquiring skills. The earlier for you the better.

5 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by mexyk(m): 7:59pm On Nov 13, 2017
It depends on your inner drive. Try to enroll in professional courses, get a masters ( very possible), get a PhD. Never stop climbing. You have even better edge cos of the zeal in you to rise above expectations. Supposed failure can be a strong motivation. I have seen many people succeed despite starting with a 2.2. I am a living testimony.

Cheers.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Paulpaulpaul(m): 8:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
The peak is in you!
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Osasnidas(m): 9:52pm On Nov 13, 2017
Bukky001:
Please my people, I just checked my result now and found out that I had 2.2. (second class lower). I need your contributions on the pros and cons of graduating with such grade. I look forward to your contributions. Thanks. Please MOD help me shift it to frontpage please
get a master degree to back it up, you are more smarter than some persons that cram to get a 2.1 or first class, certificate is just a proof you went to school what really matters is how productive you are going to be.. i once read a post about a 3rd class degree holder here on nairaland that turns down job offers because he is very productive and relies on God, though i finished with a sound 2.1 i was motivated, you should too

14 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by westlius(m): 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2017
my dear noting bad companies don't check of 1st, 2nd or 3rd class bt on professional certificate. so plz look ur profession and know prof. certificate. eg account student needs Line/Sage50 applications and Ican etc Engr needs coran etc so look for a certificate to write

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by chloride6: 11:22pm On Nov 13, 2017
First things first,

I know this must hurt alot as you sounded as if you nearly graduated with a 2.1.

Take heart. Its not the end of the world. Some people didn't even go to school.

The last thing you should be doing to now is looking at the Cons.

The glass is half full or half empty. Depends on how you look at it.

What you should be focused on is the Pros.

Let me leave you with one advice. The most important thing is not losing your confidence. Its hard but try and muster confidence from what you know how to do best.

So lets talk about Pros.

1. You are a degree holder...... You might see this as nothing but it is a big deal.....

2. You can work and be gainfully employed

3. You can get a higher degree...

4. You can finally breathe....... After all the schooling from nursery school, you have gotten to the point where you can respectably hang your boots.

5. You will soon be serving your country......

Cons

No cons at all

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by femi4: 5:29am On Nov 14, 2017
Bukky001:
Do Msc as soon as possible, you ll even have an edge over 2.1.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Joephat(m): 5:32am On Nov 14, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
As the poster before me just said there are no pros only cons. Doing a masters degree in a good university will be almost impossible with that grade so that option is out of it. A dream job will remain a dream job. Your best bet is to start a business or start acquiring skills. The earlier for you the better.

What are you saying bro?

That doing a master with 2.2 is impossible? Did you make inquiry before you vomit that rubbish assertion?

Op, no pros and cons, currently, if you don't have connection, there are no jobs for 1st class, upperclass and lower... So, you can get a teaching job while you continue with your Masters. Many Federal universities accept 2.2 for masters.. Don't allow all these nairalanders to discourage you,

Beware, most ppl that are writing gibberish here are still unemployed with their 2:1 and first-class. Wake up from your slumber, go get connection or go get masters and PhD while anticipating your dream jobs. Imagine, millions of ppl applied for Npower, do you think is only 2.2 graduates. They are mostly 2.1.

Beside, if you know what you did in school, don't write your GPA in your CV, when you're be called for an interview, prove yourself n smile back home but if you know, you sorted even the 2.2, just know........

What you need is connection

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by MrMoney007: 6:22am On Nov 14, 2017
The advantage? The lower your class, the better you think.

The disadvantage? Only in the Nigerian setting.

Be hot in a field, articulative employers don't regard classes, but valor.

9 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by iHart(m): 6:22am On Nov 14, 2017
irrespective of what you finished with, please develop a skill.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by iluvpomo(m): 6:22am On Nov 14, 2017
Advantages: What you make out of it/your life with confidence and a determination to be successful
Disadvantages: You believing that the second class lower has defined your future permanently.

10 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by hardywaltz(m): 6:24am On Nov 14, 2017
Disadvantage
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by freeman95(m): 6:24am On Nov 14, 2017
No advantage
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by PotatoSalad(m): 6:24am On Nov 14, 2017
Do you have skills? It's all that matters. I know someone with first class but na only book him sabi, no skill, and he finds it difficult to get job.
Graduated with 3.47 and I'm doing fine, so...

6 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Aspiregreat: 6:27am On Nov 14, 2017
Is there any advantage graduating with a second class? All you have is disadvantages.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Spaxon(f): 6:27am On Nov 14, 2017
What matters is how you maximise ur potentials
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Offpoint: 6:27am On Nov 14, 2017
this topic dey vex me, so education now get disadvantages too?
who gradez help sef... upgrade and update yourself and forget about the grades bulshitz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by IkemChris(m): 6:28am On Nov 14, 2017
No Pros, No Con. Certs are not what really matters the major thing is your faith and how you can build up yourself. Congratulations you didn't come out any worse than what you have.
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Allee90: 6:28am On Nov 14, 2017
If you know any Northerner you don't have problem. The Zoo belongs to them.. Shikenan

3 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 14, 2017
Have friends in government, I have seen people with even pass degree working for government agencies, I don't even blame anyone that has poor grades our educational system here is poor and not a true test of knowledge.

Most of my friends that left and went to better schools abroad came tops in their classes, Nigerian education is not a test of knowledge, my richest friends in this town have parents who are not educated, 1 even has a rolls Royce phantom. If and when I have I made small money I will go to a better school abroad and get a first class degree just to say I did it sad

2 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by RapportNaija(m): 6:28am On Nov 14, 2017
Hmm... Pros - you're a graduate and get any job you so desire, just like a Second class upper.

Cons - you are limited to some job applications, just like age/gender are other factors, not just class of degree.

But why dwell on that? Many First class students even find job hard to come by... Below:

See 8 THINGS YOU SHOULD DO TO GET A JOB IF YOU GRADUATED WITH A SECOND CLASS LOWER
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by w1sEmAn: 6:29am On Nov 14, 2017
i graduated with 2.2 in Maths/computer but today am the Head of ICT in the Bank where am working,wher are the 1st class and 2.1?na just God bro

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by BruncleZuma: 6:29am On Nov 14, 2017
None...go join police
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by COdeGenesis: 6:29am On Nov 14, 2017
Graduated with 2nd class lower in computer science. I wasn't able to apply for some jobs in some certain companies that pay well
. I wasn't able to apply for scholarships. However , I was able to work on my self and develop some skills. When I got my job it was all about what i can do. I never collect my original certificate sef. Who cares? I am thinking of resigning sef and doing business full time. If you want to make it, you need a skill bro. Get a skill. My bro didn't go to university but makes times two of my annual salary with just one contract. Think big. Even the Bible says your skill will take you before great men

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by sisisioge: 6:31am On Nov 14, 2017
Which advantages are you looking for when there are upper division and first class? Anyways, it could have been worse cos there is still pass grin
Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Olukokosir(m): 6:31am On Nov 14, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Egbon r u high ?.. Bros pls don't misquote us... Simply put it dz way... If u cum out wt 2nd class lower Buh not a 3pointer, u myt nt b chanced to do a master degree Buh if u cum out wt 2nd class lower, nd uhr cgpa is 3point nd above, u v d 100% proof of Gtn a masters degree..

Note dat dos wt 2nd class lower (2 pointer), enrol in PGD b4 Gtn a masters form.

6 Likes

Re: The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower by Oildichotomy(m): 6:32am On Nov 14, 2017
Most people up there have said what need to be said.
Learn a skill especially soft IT skills and get on with life.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Crazy Things You Did In High School? / My Daughter's Teacher Asked Them To Write "Who Is Evans?" / AAU Lecturer Flogs Students For Coming Late For An Exam(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.