Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. (7454 Views)

Why I Demanded Return Of Tithe From My Former Church – Abuja Man / Should I Pay Tithe From My 20k Stimulus I Got From Government? / Daddy Freeze Reacts As Apostle Suleman Increases His Tithe From 10% To 30% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Ken4Christ: 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2017
I have read the encounter Abraham had with Melchizedec and I don't agree with the general notion that it was from the loot of the war that Abraham gave Melchizedec tithe.

What kind of war did Abraham fight? He went to rescue Lot and the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. In addition, he went to recover the goods taken that belong to Sodom and Gomorrah and Lot his nephew.

The King of Sodom told Abraham to keep the recovered goods and give him the people. But Abraham said,

Genesis 14:22-23.
22....I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,

23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Abraham rejected the loot, so how did he then give 10% of the loot he refused to take?

Different version rendered the transaction differently but I prefer to stick to the Kings James Version.

It said,

Genesis 14:18-20.
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

The last phrase says, he gave him tithe of all. It didn't say, he gave him tithe of the loot. If it did, then Abraham would not tell the King of Sodom, I am not interested in the loot.

So, what tithe did he pay. He gave him tithe of all he had. The question is, was Abraham carrying his possession along? Certainly not. But he certainly had knowledge of all he had. As such, he could appoint his servants to deliver the goods or tithe to Melchizedec.

If the Saints before the Law never paid tithe of what belonged to them, why did Jacob, Abraham's grandson made a vow which reads,

Genesis 28:20-22.
20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and OF ALL THAT THOU SHALT GIVE ME I WILL SURELY GIVE THE TENTH UNTO THEE.

So, it was the culture to pay tithe of what one possesses even before the Law was given. It was not the exclusive rights of the Levites to collect tithes as he was not yet born when Abraham and Jacob tithed.

So, Daddy Freeze and Anti Tithes should go back and read the Bible clearly. They are agents of darkness fighting what God is doing in the Church. The devil wants to cripple the Church but they will not succeed in the name of Jesus.

Don't also think it is your tithe that makes a man of God rich. A thousand times no. Most of these men of God are givers themselves and they have their gifts and talents that brings money to them. In addition, they receive financial and material favours from members who have been blessed by their messages.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by felixomor: 10:47pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wow.
Great Exposition
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
Ken4Christ:
I have read the encounter Abraham had with Melchizedec and I don't agree with the general notion that it was from the loot of the war that Abraham gave Melchizedec tithe.

What kind of war did Abraham fight? He went to rescue Lot and the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. In addition, he went to recover the goods taken that belong to Sodom and Gomorrah and Lot his nephew.

The King of Sodom told Abraham to keep the recovered goods and give him the people. But Abraham said,

22....I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,

23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Abraham rejected the loot, so how did he then give 10% of the loot he refused to take?

Tithe lovers again twisting scripture, what is new.

" During the night Abram divided his men to attack them and he routed them, pursuing them as far as Hobah, north of Damascus. He recovered all the goods and brought back his relative Lot and his possessions, together with the women and the other people"

"Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything"

Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. This verse does not say that Abraham gave him everything.

Abraham refused to take any goods that formed part of the 'tenth of everything' he gave to Melchizedek king of Salem.

You love tithe so much, why not get a Job ?

9 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Candour(m): 11:02pm On Nov 13, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Different version rendered the transaction differently but I prefer to stick to the Kings James Version.

It said,

Genesis 14:18-20.
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

The last phrase says, he gave him tithe of all. It didn't say, he gave him tithe of the loot. If it did, then Abraham would not tell the King of Sodom, I am not interested in the loot.

So, what tithe did he pay. He gave him tithe of all he had. The question is, was Abraham carrying his possession along? Certainly not. But he certainly had knowledge of all he had. As such, he could appoint his servants to deliver the goods or tithe to Melchizedec.

If the Saints before the Law never paid tithe of what belonged to them, why did Jacob, Abraham's grandson made a vow which reads,

Genesis 28:20-22.
20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and OF ALL THAT THOU SHALT GIVE ME I WILL SURELY GIVE THE TENTH UNTO THEE.

So, it was the culture to pay tithe of what one possesses even before the Law was given. It was not the exclusive rights of the Levites to collect tithes as he was not yet born when Abraham and Jacob tithed.

So, Daddy Freeze and Anti Tithes should go back and read the Bible clearly. They are agents of darkness fighting what God is doing in the Church. The devil wants to cripple the Church but they will not succeed in the name of Jesus.

Don't also think it is your tithe that makes a man of God rich. A thousand times no. Most of these men of God are givers themselves and they have their gifts and talents that brings money to them. In addition, they receive financial and material favours from members who have been blessed by their messages.

and like the crafty pulpit crook that you're, you forgot that this same episode was touched on in Hebrews chapter 7

4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils

Spoils of what did Abraham give Melchizedek a tenth of?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by BluntBoy(m): 11:08pm On Nov 13, 2017
felixomor:
Wow.
Great Exposition

Don't you read your bible at all

See how great this man was to whom Abraham the patriarch gave a tenth of the spoils! (Hebrews 7:4)

7 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by ichuka(m): 11:08pm On Nov 13, 2017
Candour:

and like the crafty pulpit crook that you're, you forgot that this same episode was touched on in Hebrews chapter 7

4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils

Lol
Good,hearing from some resting gaints lately.

4 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Candour(m): 11:11pm On Nov 13, 2017
ichuka:

Lol
Good,hearing from some resting gaints lately.

giant ke? abeg o grin

How are you doing my brother?

1 Like

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Ken4Christ: 11:20pm On Nov 13, 2017
Candour:

Well, that was Apostle Paul’s analysis of the transaction that took place. I believe in the revelation shared by Apostle Paul but he is a man who also can make mistakes. Read the entire passage in Genesis chapter 14 and you will see that Abraham vowed he won't have anything to do with the spoils.

Even at then, Daddy Freeze used it as an example to prove that Abraham never gave tithe of what belonged to him and neither did any Saints before the Law. But Jacob his grandson vowed to give God a tenth of all that God will bless him with. Where did Jacob learn the culture of tithe if not from his father.
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Candour(m): 11:31pm On Nov 13, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Well, that was Apostle Paul’s analysis of the transaction that took place. I believe in the revelation shared by Apostle Paul but he is a man who also can make mistakes. Read the entire passage in Genesis chapter 14 and you will see that Abraham vowed he won't have anything to do with the spoils.

Even at then, Daddy Freeze used it as an example to prove that Abraham never gave tithe of what belonged to him and neither did any Saints before the Law. But Jacob his grandson vowed to give God a tenth of all that God will bless him with. Where did Jacob learn the culture of tithe if not from his father.

Abraham left his place of abode at Mamre with over 318 armed men to go rescue Lot, pursuing the invading kings to Dan. Can you please explain where in the bible it's written that Abraham carried the goats, sheep, donkeys, gold and silver he would have paid as tithe along with the armoury for the war he was going to fight? How would people going on an emergency war carry such baggage along? Also you're truly very bold and brazen. In order to justify this fraudulent tithe you preach, you're ready to reduce the revelation of Apostle Paul? which other mistake did Paul make? or is it only in tithe he committed a blunder?

Jacob made a vow contingent upon God fulfilling a demand he made which is solid proof that it wasn't a laid down tenet or law his father was abiding by. If tithe was obligatory on him, he wouldn't use it to trade with God since according to you and others, the tithe already belonged to God

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by betterABIAstate: 11:36pm On Nov 13, 2017
Tithing crooks looking for every means to maintain the statusquo.

The Bible even stated that he tithed 10% of the spoil, give some to his men who went for the battle and returned the remaining to the king of Sodom. His reasons was that so the king of Sodom wouldn't think that the spoils made him rich
Tithing crooks and fake translation cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by plainbibletruth: 12:09am On Nov 14, 2017
Ken4Christ:

So, are you saying that that is no longer part of Scriptures or that not all scripture is divinely inspired as some can be mistakes of men?

How far will you guys go in trying to make portions of Scripture agree with your conceived position on tithing?

You opened a thread just to discredit some other position. Now I hope you'll be man enough to admit your error.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Candour(m): 12:13am On Nov 14, 2017
plainbibletruth:

So, are you saying that that is no longer part of Scriptures or that not all scripture is divinely inspired as some can be mistakes of men?

How far will you guys go in trying to make portions of Scripture agree with your conceived position on tithing?

You opened a thread just to discredit some other position. Now I hope you'll be man enough to admit your error.

There's no doubt that these guys will have to write their own bibles one day and i think that day is very soon.

Imagine him saying Apostle Paul's revelation was a mistake because it upended his faulty position on tithes?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by felixomor: 12:46am On Nov 14, 2017
BluntBoy:

Don't you read your bible at all

See how great this man was to whom Abraham the patriarch gave a tenth of the spoils! (Hebrews 7:4)

A tenth of the spoils

In addition to other tenths

Go and read Genesis
It was "tenths"

Which means Hebrews was only referring to a portion of what Abraham gave.

Go and study
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by MuttleyLaff: 12:49am On Nov 14, 2017
felixomor:
A tenth of the spoils

In addition to other tenths

Go and read Genesis
It was "tenths"

Which means Hebrews was only referring to a portion of what Abraham gave.

Go and study
Now consider how great this man was,
unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils

- Hebrews 7:4 KJV

And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand.
And he gave him tithes of all

- Genesis 14:20

"New Testament lies hidden in the Old
and the Old Testament is unveiled in the New
"
- St. Augustine

Hmm, felixomor, my dear brother, I am sure you're familiar with the above St. Augustine quote

Hebrews 7:4 lies hidden in Genesis 14:20 (i.e. "the tenth of the spoils" lies hidden in "tithes of all'')
and Genesis 14:20 is unveiled in Hebrews 7:4 (i.e. "tithes of all" is unveiled in "the tenth of the spoils'')

1 Like

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by felixomor: 12:53am On Nov 14, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Now consider how great this man was,
unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils

- Hebrews 7:4 KJV

And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand.
And he gave him tithes of all

- Genesis 14:20

"New Testament lies hidden in the Old
and the Old Testament is unveiled in the New
"
- St. Augustine

Hmm, felixomor, my dear brother, I am sure you're familiar with the above St. Augustine quote

Hebrews 7:4 lies hidden in Genesis 14:20 (i.e. "the tenth of the spoils" lies hidden in "tithes of all'')
and Genesis 14:20 is unveiled in Hebrews 7:4 (i.e. "tithes of all" is unveiled in "the tenth of the spoils'')

If u still cant know the difference between "tenths" (plural), and tenth (singular)

You are on your own, my dear

1 Like

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by MuttleyLaff: 1:01am On Nov 14, 2017
felixomor:
If u still cant know the difference between "tenths" (plural), and tenth (singular)

You are on your own, my dear
Every tithe of the herd and flock
--every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd's rod--will be holy to the LORD.

- Leviticus 27:32

That's the instruction on tithes
Now I dont know what you're on about with "tenths" (i.e. plural) and "tenth" (i.e. singular)

1 Like

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by felixomor: 1:03am On Nov 14, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Every tithe of the herd and flock
--every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd's rod--will be holy to the LORD.

- Leviticus 27:32

That's the instruction on tithes
Now I dont know what you're on about with "tenths" (i.e. plural) and "tenth" (i.e. singular)

because you dont even pay attention to what you argue against.

Its that bad

1 Like

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by MuttleyLaff: 1:08am On Nov 14, 2017
felixomor:
because you dont even pay attention to what you argue against.
Its that bad
I havent argued with you.
We are having an "iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" healthy dialogue and conversation
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Goshen360(m): 1:28am On Nov 14, 2017
Ken4Christ:

I thought I've seen it all in my lifetime but alas, I'm wrong! Tithe yahoos saying Paul, the Apostle made a mistake. More like saying he made a MISTAKE BY THE INSPIRATION OF GOD OR OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Good Gracious!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Goshen360(m): 1:36am On Nov 14, 2017
felixomor:
Wow.
Great Exposition

Trust olodo tithe yahoos like you to jump and cheer cheap "great" exposition like the op....not so fast boy....

grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by felixomor: 1:41am On Nov 14, 2017
Goshen360:

Trust olodo tithe yahoos like you to jump and cheer cheap "great" exposition like the op....not so fast boy....

grin grin grin

I pity your life.
If my tithe makes you so bitter that u can be so foul mouthed at me without provocation on a thread thats not even yours,
Then you must be demon possessed.

May God have mercy on your soul.
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Goshen360(m): 1:48am On Nov 14, 2017
felixomor:

I pity your life.
If my tithe makes you so bitter that u can be so foul mouthed at me without provocation on a thread thats not even yours,

Why can't I say what I wanna say on people like you or the op thread when y'all promoting tithe yahoos? Do I need your permission to contribute to any thread? And who do you think you are to use a threat line on me? You better watch your mouth? Am I your baby? And btw, how does a demon possess a believer that the Spirit of God indwells?

10 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by felixomor: 1:52am On Nov 14, 2017
Goshen360:

[s]Why can't I say what I wanna say on people like you or the op thread when y'all promoting tithe yahoos? Do I need your permission to contribute to any thread? And who do you think you are to use a threat line on me? You better watch your mouth? Am I your baby? And btw, how does a demon possess a believer that the Spirit of God indwells?[/s]

Shut up
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Goshen360(m): 2:05am On Nov 14, 2017
felixomor:

Shut up

Ok....whatever!

We're here for you guys

10 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by petra1(m): 5:08am On Nov 14, 2017
Candour:

The spoil were all the income and profit of the war as that time . That’s only an incidence of Abraham tithing . And if a man could deligenr to tithe of spoil of war you can imagine what he does as a lifestyle
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by petra1(m): 5:11am On Nov 14, 2017
felixomor:

I pity your life.

Don’t bring yourself down to his level . When the road gets rough they leave the message to attack the messanger . The word of God doesn’t require banter . Let’s present our cases neatly for viewers

1 Like

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Candour(m): 5:15am On Nov 14, 2017
petra1:

The spoil were all the income and profit of the war as that time . That’s only an incidence of Abraham tithing . And if a man could deligenr to tithe of spoil of war you can imagine what he does as a lifestyle

Which means the OP told a lie? I'm still waiting for you to correct the lie told by the OP or you didn't read the title of the thread before you decided to post?

All you've pushed here are your own conjectures. I've asked you before to tell me who Abraham was paying his 'monthly tithes' to and you've always run away from answering that. Has the Holy Spirit finally revealed that to you?

3 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by petra1(m): 5:25am On Nov 14, 2017
Candour:

Jacob made a vow contingent upon God fulfilling a demand he made which is solid proof that it wasn't a laid down tenet or law his father was abiding by. If tithe was obligatory on him, he wouldn't use it to trade with God since according to you and others, the tithe already belonged to God

Jacob made 3 vows
1.God would be his God
2.He would build a house of God
3.He would give tithe

Genesis 28:21-22 (KJV Strong's)
And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I [b]will surely give the tenth [/b]unto thee.

He said God would be his God . But God was already his God . Why would he be praying to God if he wasn’t his God . So tithing also was already a culture to him . It’s when sometimes a christian says to God “ LORD IF YOU GET ME OUT OF THIS TROUBLE I WILL WORSHIP YOU FOREVER . It’s only an affirmation .
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Candour(m): 5:29am On Nov 14, 2017
petra1:

Jacob made 3 vows
1.God would be his God
2.He would build a house of God
3.He would give tithe

Genesis 28:21-22 (KJV Strong's)
And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth [/b]unto thee.

[b]He said God would be his God . But God was already his God
. Why would he be praying to God if he wasn’t his God . So tithing also was already a culture to him . It’s when sometimes a christian says to God “ LORD IF YOU GET ME OUT OF THIS TROUBLE I WILL WORSHIP YOU FOREVER . It’s only an affirmation .

Just like your son is already a pastor and man of God because you claim to be right? Just like Eli's children were true priests of God because their father was and they too used to chop from the proceeds of sacrifices due to priests of God right? What of wayward Esau, Jacob's twin brother? was God already his God too?

In fact, just like i'm a christian because my father has always been since i was born right?

3 Likes

Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by petra1(m): 5:36am On Nov 14, 2017
v
Ken4Christ:

Abraham gave tithes of the booty . The booty was all the “income they had as at that time . Abraham tithing was a cultre . We may not k ow how many times he tithes . But if could be deligent enough to tithe even from war how much more from trance and farm .
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by petra1(m): 5:45am On Nov 14, 2017
Candour:

In fact, just like i'm a christian because my father has always been since i was born right?

Read my post well . I believe it answerd you . Jacob sis not only vow tithe and according to your logic . He shouldn’t have vowed to tithe if he was already a tither if I get you well . But he didn’t vow tithe alone he also vowed God will be his God But was God not his God already ?
Re: Abraham Didn't Pay Tithe From The Spoils Of The War To Melchizedec. by Candour(m): 6:20am On Nov 14, 2017
petra1:

Read my post well . I believe it answerd you . Jacob sis not only vow tithe and according to your logic . He shouldn’t have vowed to tithe if he was already a tither if I get you well . But he didn’t vow tithe alone he also vowed God will be his God But was God not his God already ?

Your post answered nothing.

When did God become his God? Did Esau also acknowledge God as his God?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Raised From The Dead / Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? / What Type Of girls will You Approve Your Sons To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.