Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got (18581 Views)

Please, Advise Me On This Banking Job I Got / I Was Asked To Pay N300k Plus "Spreading Legs" For UNICAL Job Offer - Lady Says / FRSC: We Were Asked To Pull Down Our Pants For Medical Screening, Is It Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by chuksdsilent: 5:20am On Nov 15, 2017
I passed an interview for a web development job I applied for and I was asked to sign a letter of non disclosure agreement before
1. I am told what the company is doing
2. They will show me their office
My question is
1. is this normal?
2. If I want to leave after some years is it possible?
They said they want to be sure am in. The salary is 70k in lagos. I don't want a situation after sometime I will start regretting taking up the job.
Reasonable advice please

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by dingbang(m): 5:37am On Nov 15, 2017
There is something called company secret and you have to guide that.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by izzou(m): 5:43am On Nov 15, 2017
Non disclosure agreement before you know where you wan work

You better run for your life.

PS: Its my opinion and you don't have to take it serious

42 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by bodejohn(m): 5:45am On Nov 15, 2017
Non disclosure agreements signing is normal between employees and or vendors with major cooporations.

Something however looks out of place when you are asked to sign even before you know the office address.

You may sign if you are very clear with the meaning of every word on the agreement, if anything is not clear of fishy...kindly stay away.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by destino24(m): 6:52am On Nov 15, 2017
Bros, take that letter to a lawyer, just to make sure every single word and it's legal implications are understood.

NDA before knowing the office address is a bit strange

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 15, 2017
Nothing wrong with it, take the job if it is good
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by ammyluv2002(f): 7:51am On Nov 15, 2017
destino24:
Bros, take that letter to a lawyer, just to make sure every single word and it's legal implications are understood.

I'm with you

4 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by DifferentCase(m): 8:02am On Nov 15, 2017
It is a normal stuff, BUT! POLITELY ASK YOU GO STUDY THE LETTER, THEN TAKE IT TO A LEGAL PERSON FOR ITS INTERPRETATION BEFORE YOU APEND YOUR SIGNATURE o! Better off, snap the letter and forward to me, let me show my office legal person right now and revert. No go sign your **** warrant o, the days are evil, but we will escape!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Yameater(m): 8:19am On Nov 15, 2017
destino24:

go with this advise

2 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by jazinogold(m): 8:31am On Nov 15, 2017
cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by chineduho: 8:31am On Nov 15, 2017
See a lawyer with the NDA letter & decide.

For such low pay, why the need for NDA?

Check my signature for more info

2 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by BlueRayDick: 8:32am On Nov 15, 2017
Don't just sign a letter out of desperation. Believe me, 70k is too small for one to sign a contract that will tie one down for a certain number of years. I will advise you take your time and study the contract very well before signing.

Even access bank that pays well and give their staff cars after signing their employment bond, people still struggle to leave there before the 2 years lapses, not to talk of a job that pays you less than one third of access bank entry level salary.

Like people said, take the agreement to a legal practitioner if you can't figure it out yourself.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Ivimilly: 8:33am On Nov 15, 2017
Imagine on your wedding day you called d caterer to ask her if she is close to d venue?
She asked..is today ur Wedding?
?��

32 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Patented: 8:33am On Nov 15, 2017
Show a lawyer and also politely ask for whatever details you would like to know. person wey ask no dey miss road.......(most times)

4 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by SmartMugu: 8:33am On Nov 15, 2017
There's nothing wrong in signing NDAs. It's intended to protect companies intellectual properties from competitors and prevent potential lawsuits from infringements.

1 Like

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by orlaryhincah(m): 8:33am On Nov 15, 2017
dingbang:
There is something called company secret and you have to guide that.

Exactly, it might be the inflow of web traffic, datas etc.
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Idrismusty97(m): 8:34am On Nov 15, 2017
So Chukwudi despite signing a non disclosure agreement you came to Nairaland to disclose it. We will meet at the office.

45 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 15, 2017
People sign non disclosure agreements especially HR people so it's no biggie. I guess you will have access to a lot of information. I have seen cases where people are even made to sign before visiting a company.

But like advised above, read it very well

3 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by OlujobaSamuel: 8:34am On Nov 15, 2017
try take the letter to a lawyer, if you cant and you eventually sign, they cant hold you back if its discovered that they are into illegal dealings, however if there is nothing illegal about their trading or services, you are OYO except you will use a constructive means to terminate the contract. No law is cast on stone amd there is always a loophole, try explore that after getting in.

1 Like

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by eagleonearth(m): 8:35am On Nov 15, 2017
Is it a registered company? How well do you know them? I was only asked not to disclose my pay package in those days but somebody asking you to sign is suspicious. Be sure of what you're signing. Are they into secret policing?
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by yemmight(m): 8:36am On Nov 15, 2017
Its normal.
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by dandollaz: 8:36am On Nov 15, 2017
Probably a big firm .if it's disclosed to you trust me you will say the salary is small for this company to pay.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Kobicove(m): 8:36am On Nov 15, 2017
There's nothing wrong in a company asking you to sign a NDA.

It's a means to protect the information which you will come across in the course of your work with them...it's also to curtail people who have flippant tongue from going on social media to post 'rubbish' about the company.

The legal implication is that if you go out and run your mouth the company can dismiss you summarily

In addition to that they can also start legal proceedings against you to seek payment for damages

6 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by domchike(m): 8:36am On Nov 15, 2017
chuksdsilent:
I passed an interview for a web development job I applied for and I was asked to sign a letter of non disclosure agreement before
My question is
1. is this normal?
They said they want to be sure am in. The salary is 70k in lagos. I don't want a situation after sometime I will start regretting taking up the job.
Reasonable advice please
my dear you need a lawyer and meanwhile the salary is not enough to throw away your freedom
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by denice1: 8:37am On Nov 15, 2017
Comes with certain jobs, if you need the pay, sign the paper.
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by RapportNaija(m): 8:38am On Nov 15, 2017
Web developer? 70k? And Non disclosure before they tell you what they do and their office?

First, as a developer, you can make 70k developing just two sites!

Second, the company maybe some government secret hand or they do shady stuffs - whatever the case is, 70k is too small to get into a discreet BS like that!

Do you know how much BR Fashola built his website as Governor of Lagos State, 70 million naira! So someone will trap you and be dropping 70k for you! Shoo slavery!

Anyways, see Top important questions to ask when hiring a personal injury lawyer

4 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by Dollabiz: 8:38am On Nov 15, 2017
Really
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by SarkinYarki: 8:38am On Nov 15, 2017
Its normal , my friemd go and sign it and start work

1 Like

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by kekakuz(m): 8:39am On Nov 15, 2017
Sign it
Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by 1wolex85: 8:41am On Nov 15, 2017
chuksdsilent:
My question is
1. is this normal?
Reasonable advice please

Its normal, especially with coding, so you dont take their ideas and the work you did for them somewhere else. If you do, they can sue you

2 Likes

Re: I Was Asked To Sign Non Disclosure Agreement For A Job I Got by 1wolex85: 8:43am On Nov 15, 2017
BlueRayDick:
Don't just sign a letter out of desperation. Believe me, 70k is too small for one to sign a contract that will tie one down for a certain number of years. I will advise you take your time and study the contract very well before signing.

Even access bank that pays well and give their staff cars after signing their employment bond, people still struggle to leave there before the 2 years lapses, not to talk of a job that pays you less than one third of access bank entry level salary.

Like people said, take the agreement to a legal practitioner if you can't figure it out yourself.

NDA is different from bond. 2 different things entirely

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dear New Hires, Stop Coming Into Organizations With Messiah Attitude. / 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World / Iniubong Umoren, CCCRN: Newswire Admits Error, Retracts Story Linking NGO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.