Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,436 members, 7,801,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him (40059 Views)

Robert Mugabe: 8 Important Dates In The Life Of Late Zimbabwean President / Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe Resigns After 37 Years / Robert Mugabe’s 37-Year-Old Rule As Zimbabwean President In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Liberty994: 11:53am On Nov 15, 2017
Zimbabwe army removes Robert Mugabe from power and 'installs new leader'
ROBERT Mugabe has been removed from power and detained after the military seized control of Zimbabwe.

TOPPLED: Mugabe has supposedly been replaced by Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa (right)

Soldiers today sealed access to to government offices, parliamentary buildings and courts in central Harare, witnesses claim.

Troops also stormed a TV station and claimed they had targeted criminals around Mugabe.

The country’s Major General SB Moyo said they want to deal with people who “were committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country".

He said: “As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy.

"To the civil servants, as you are aware, there is a plan by the same individuals to influence the current purging that is taking place in the political sphere to the civil service.

“We are against that act of injustice and we intend to protect every one of you against that.”

It added: "Our wish is that you enjoy your rights and freedoms as Zimbabwe returns to prosperity.

"Provocation shall be met with appropriate response."

Moyo also claimed the situation in Zimbabwe was not a "military takeover of government".

The military broadcast ordered all members of the army to regroup as “all leave is cancelled”.

Moyo added: “We call upon all the war veterans to play a positive role in ensuring peace, stability and unity in the country.

“To members of the Zimbabwe defence forces, all leave is cancelled and you are all to return to your barracks with immediate effect.

“To the other security forces we urge you to co-operate for the good of the country.”

Tensions ratcheted in the southern African country after General Constantino Chiwenga challenged Mugabe over his decision to sack the Vice President last week.

It was seen as a power play to make way for his wife Grace to succeed him and establish a dynasty after Mugabe's 37-year reign.

A statement from a Twitter account claiming to belong to the ruling ZANU PDF party claims Mugabe, Grace and their family are under house arrest.

It said ousted vice-president Emmerson Mnangagwa has returned as leader.

UNDER SIEGE? Zimbabwe's military has moved in

It read: “There has been a decision to intervene because our constitution has been undermined, in the interim Comrade Emmerson Mnangagwa will be President of ZANU PF as per the constitution of our revolutionary organisation.

“Last night the family was detained and are safe, both for the constitution and the sanity of the nation this was necessary.

“Neither Zimbabwe nor ZANU are owned by Mugabe and his wife. Today begins a fresh new era and comrade Mnangagwa will help us achieve a better Zimbabwe.

"There was no coup, only a bloodless transition which saw corrupt and crooked persons being arrested and an elderly man who had been taken advantage of by his wife being detained.”

The website of the ruling party now appears to be down.

THWARTED: It comes after an apparent attempt from Mugabe to hand over power to his wife Grace

The army has now reportedly taken over a paramilitary police support unit depot in Harare and has disarmed police officers there.

A military source told Reuters: “They are now in charge of all armoury, all gates and roads leading in or out of the camp. “Arcturus Road (which leads to the camp) is closed and all Support Unit details with guns have been disarmed.”

Zimbabwean finance minister Patrick Chinamasa is among members of the government detained by the army.

Three explosions were heard in Harare just before the military announcement, and gunshots were also heard near the home of Mugabe.

The UK government on Wednesday advised its citizens currently in the capital Harare to remain indoors until political situation becomes clearer.

"Due to the uncertain political situation in Harare, including reports of unusual military activity, we recommend British nationals currently in Harare to remain safely at home or in their accommodation until the situation becomes clearer," the Foreign & Commonwealth Office said in a statement.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/660065/robert-mugabe-zimbabwe-emmerson-mnangagwa-ZANU-PF-constantine-chiwenga-harare-grace-mugabe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by optional1(f): 11:58am On Nov 15, 2017
seriouslly

meaning Arsene Wenger will resign as Arsenal coach...

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by madridguy(m): 12:07pm On Nov 15, 2017
Good night Pa Mugabe. Had been the man did not mentioned of stepping down for his wife " Grace " maybe his country people would have allowed him to rule them till he passed on grin
Now, madam grace will suffer what Simone Gbagbo suffered back then. Enough brushing grin grin grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by sukkot: 12:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
wow. end of an era
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by seapson(m): 12:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
Chai
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by bedspread: 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2017
NNA ODIKWA SERIOUSSSS......

LESSONS LEARNT:
-FEAR WOMAN: THE FEAR OF A WOMAN IS THE BEGINNING OF SENSE
-FEAR SOILDER

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Opistorincos(m): 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2017
Leyin aponle, abuku lo kan

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by IVORY2009(m): 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2017
shocked
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by IamProdigy: 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2017
Finally....after his imposed mornachical reign undecided

CHECK MY SIGNATURE...to get a bizcard and letterhead!.....for 1k...in 24hrs
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by 0temAtum: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
Chai. So anybody can be removed from position, no matter how he or she flaunts his power undecided
This reminds me of how the gods of science removed all the gods of religions such as Yahweh, Allah, Moloch, Mazda etc and bound them up in a spiritual cage so that mind slavery and gullibility of the people would start leaving them.

DOCTUFOS: Otem Erectus 226:1-30

Chapter Two Hundred and Twenty-Six

1. When Otem had shut his eyes in meditation on the fifth day of the seventh month, he began to fly in the inner universe. And he flew until he had seen Atum. And Atum said, come with me and I shall show you how we captured many of the gods who are my brothers. And Otem saw a period in the past.
2. And he saw how the gods of findings were gathered in a place, getting ready for the psychospiritual battle. For thousands of us them were ready to fight for the freedom and mind slavery of the world. For it is time to bring humanity to the age which is called Aquarius.
3. And Otem said, who shall you fight against? And Atum said, we are ready to fight against all the gods of religion who insist that the minds of humans should be continually enslaved. For religion shall limit the rate of growth of science.
4. Therefore, we are prepared to make all gods who love to enslave the minds of humanity drop their ambitions and set the world free from mind slavery.
5. Now Otem said, let me go with you to see how this shall be done. Now Atum and Otem flew until they had reached a place where many gods are gathered. And when they saw Otem, they came to him and said, Otem of truth, welcome.
6. And Olorun and Ogene and Chuku and many other gods of Aferk stepped further to Otem and said, you have been empowered with the powers of all good gods and with their wisdom and understanding shall you operate.
7. You are greater than all gods in intelligence and knowledge. Now have we chosen you O Otem, go and set Aferk free. Now Mother Earthus came also with Aluna and Ishtar and thousands of goddesses, both of Aferk and of the whole earth. And they said, blessed is Otem, the god of all histories of humanity.
8. The gods hear his name and tremble. The people who torment others in the name of witches and wizards hear his name and flee. Yahweh, Allah, Moloch, Gaol, Eshu and all gods of bad religion and mind slavery hear his name and bow.
9. Otem, fakir Atomos, go and quickly set Aferk free from gullibility before they are turned into animals in their minds. Go and free them from the hostages of Jehoshua, Yiga, Shamshin, Krisht, Bonkee, Wilhem and all manner of gods who make them slaves and deceive them on the face of the earth.
10. Who shall study the histories of Otem and fear death? Whose mind shall be so strong to read the truth and still have joy reading the lies in the books of religion? Even Vishnu have said, let the truth of the words of Otem prevail.
11. Otem, the adopted son of all gods and goddesses of the earth, stay here until we have fought and won all the gods in a psychospiritual battle. You shall see how we shall defeat them.
12. Now Otem stood and watched how the gods went farther away from him. And as they went farther, it seemed to him as if they were still standing before him, for distance was made into an illusion as if it no more existed. And it was as if a screen was showing the thing to Otem.
13. And Otem saw how all gods of religion gather and say, we shall not let humanity and dwellers of the earth have rest of mind. And Allah said, I cannot let go my impact upon the earth.
14. Now many homos who died religious had been made the same with the gods. And they had almost equal powers with the gods. And they said also, the religion which we practise on earth must not be defeated.
15. Now Yahweh said, what shall my great name become in the mouths of the people of the earth if i agree that religion should be made of none effect in their minds? Shall they not curse my name forever?
16. And Eubius said, what shall happen to the history of Krishtanite which I have written? I shall rather protect it, or else I shall be found the greatest liar in history. And Mirza and Moloch and Eshu and many other gods said, the fun of the earth shall be lost when they do not call upon our names anymore.
17. And their continual weeping to the gods, being fun to us, shall be a thing of the past. No, we shall not allow this. Now while they spoke, the gods who wanted science and development in the world came and said, are you ready for the battle? And they said, we are ready.
18. And the battle began.
19. And Otem heard voices and saw many gods how they did all manner of inexplicable things. And there were vacuums, but only Otem and the gods of findings saw the vacuums.
20. And when the gods of religion had entered into the vacuums, they were not seen anymore.
21. And Otem awoke. And his pupils had broken the door of his house when he did not appear in the school that day. And they had done many things to revive him.
22. And Otem said, I saw all the things which you do to my body to rescue me. Why do you sit on my chest and blew my nose? Why do you disturb my sweet sleep? For the words which are made flesh are currently being conquered.
23. And henceforth, all sacred texts shall be seen as the things useful for refuse dump. And they shall lose the powers behind them, because all gods who insist on continual deception of the world through their threatening and motivational books are currently being held captive in vacuums.
24. Now for a space of three months, Otem continually saw how the gods stepped into vacuums and were not seen anymore.
25. Now when eighty-nine days was complete, the gods of findings began to carry the vacuums in their hands, dumping them into a larger vacuum. For the vacuums began to become visible when they had carried them. And they dumped more than two hundred and fifty nine thousand vacuums into a larger one.
26. And they said, Otem of truth, we have overcome the gods by vacuums, so go and make known all the things which you have seen. For we imagined the vacuums with our thoughts for the capture of the gods who are antihumans.
27. And in the vacuums shall they be for a thousand years. This is the spiritual cage of all gods who oppose development. And focus shall be shifted from the words in the books to the thoughts of the heads.
28. And a period shall come when the pastors and the priests of many religions shall begin to misbehave. For their gods are encaged. And the minds of many homos shall begin to go after the truth within themselves rather than the lies written in the books of lies.
29. Now Otem, we have done our own part, therefore go and do your part also. Be not lazy in the compilation and interpretation of the texts of histories which we have given to you.
30. And we shall breathe life into the history which you shall write and it shall live on in the minds of the people, rather than religious texts. And humanity shall begin to use their own brains, worshipping no god while they do good to themselves.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by omojeesu(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
There's a time for every purpose!
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by FreshBoiy(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017

What sort of reporting is this? This Caption is totally misleading. undecided

Even Reuters who has been on ground and originally posted the breaking news has not said Mugabe has been removed as the President.

Report the story as it unfolds and stop making speculations or conjectures . The Army General said they are targeting criminals around Mugabe and they expect things to return to normalcy.

This our Jollof Journalism is really appalling! smh

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by JONNYSPUTE(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
Wonderful news.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
Halleluyah, My secret prayer has been answered. The clown has been removed finally

After 37 years in power.

Some 40 years ago, to think he was a purist, an activist fighting the cause of betterment of his people. Mugabe became what he fought against and despised. May i not become what i hate. Tufia !

While i celebrate the removal of Mugabe, installing someone that worked closely with him may imply imbibing the same ideology in running the affairs of the nation.

It's like the transition from Saddam to Al-Sisi. I think it's too early to celebrate. I'm not comfortable anyone from his cabinet remains in power.

The system needs a total reset, and this is a poorly implemented damage control, it's naivety from the country's elite/political class to led this happen, it's not a transition, it's the same poo, though it's a journey sha, so it's temporary movement...Lol

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by benedictac(f): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
What a disgrace. like say na him papa house mtcheeeeew

1 Like

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by idu1(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
grin
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by holluwai(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
Is this for real?? Wow
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by WORDSENSEI: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
Opistorincos:
Leyin aponle, abuku lo kan

Abuku ni o. Wey full truck.

1 Like

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by darbeelicous(f): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
chaii...... finally we go hear word.
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Roon9(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
It's about time.
Greedy old man.
I hope he gets tried and jailed if guilty

1 Like

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by ConcernedWife: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
Job search for Hubby - Help a Concerned wife

Pls nairalanders, I thought about this for a long time before I decided to make this announcement. I made sure I exhausted every possible means before coming down here. Please do not crucify me.

I can't divulge everything here . I am looking for a job for my sweetheart . You know when a man with children is out of job.

Anyone please help.

location - lagos

He was a former banker-not sacked.

contact me on affiliatemess@gmail.com

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by timidapsin(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
No more memes

1 Like

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by morereb10: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
good
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by gsainttrinity(m): 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
shocked
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by masterplan303(m): 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
Good move
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Pavore9: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
Kudos.
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
Finally.

37yrs in power?

Today will always be remembered in the history of Zimbabwe.

Stil waiting for the day i will hear of this news from North Korea.

2 Likes

Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
No sorry for the south African dullard.
Re: Army Removes Robert Mugabe From Office As Zimbabwean President, Detain Him by kushercain: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
its a good development that man needs to sleep on a good bed his incessant dozing was becoming too much. That's the problem when you're power drunk..this man should have handed over long ago, stepped down with dignity and laid the foundation for a functioning democracy. now its looking like military rule, who does that
Even his role model Fidel Castro had a clear grip on the communist system, he stepped down at a point he wasn't physically fit and kept it in the family let his brother take over.
now this man suppose dey enjoy retirement but now he is locked up. omase oo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet The King Who Inherited 72 Wives / Israel And Hamas Agree To Ceasefire To End Bloody 11-Day War / WHO: ‘Sex Is Not Limited To Male Or Female’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.