Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara (3091 Views)

Shock Absorbers Come In!!! / How To Know Good Shock Absorbers For Your Car / Tokunbo Shock Absorbers Vs New Shock Absorbers - Which Is Better In 9ja Context? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 3:52pm On Nov 15, 2017
Hi, all.

I need to know where to get good shocks absorbers for my car. I've replaced them three times since last year September and the noise keeps coming back.

Honestly, I don't know the differences because my mechanic buys them all the time. Last time, he bought them tokunbo and not up to 3 weeks the usual noise resumed. But now, I want to do the buying myself. Someone suggested to me today that I get Super Turbo brand but I don't know if it's reliable.

Any suggestions please?

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 6:15pm On Nov 15, 2017
Sadly enough most mechanics still get fakes. Are you looking to get new ones or tokunbo.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 7:17pm On Nov 15, 2017
CHISPAREPARTS:
Sadly enough most mechanics still get fakes. Are you looking to get new ones or tokunbo.
Whichever is better, bro.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 7:23pm On Nov 15, 2017
HITTED:

Whichever is better, bro.
Both are good but with the pre owned(direct tokunbo) ones you have to be sure as to not get shocks that have been tampered with. Some are washed with acid and sand to give them that OK look. The new ones are also good but very expensive. I sell both anyways. I will check the price in my office tomorrow and get back to you. I would give you a month guarantee

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 7:33pm On Nov 15, 2017
CHISPAREPARTS:

Both are good but with the pre owned(direct tokunbo) ones you have to be sure as to not get shocks that have been tampered with. Some are washed with acid and sand to give them that OK look. The new ones are also good but very expensive. I sell both anyways. I will check the price in my office tomorrow and get back to you. I would give you a month guarantee
Ok, will be expecting to hear from you.

Just one month guarantee? That's not supposed to make me happy na. grin
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 7:48pm On Nov 15, 2017
HITTED:

That's our terms and conditions. One month for used parts and 6 to 1 year for brand new parts depending on the parts. Which year is your solara between?
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 7:53pm On Nov 15, 2017
HITTED:

Which year is your solara and are you looking to change the front or back.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 9:03pm On Nov 15, 2017
CHISPAREPARTS:

Which year is your solara and are you looking to change the front or back.

I think it's the old model. See picture below.

I'm changing the back first coz it's noisier. It's usually smooth when I'm running expressways or when I climb road bumps but it rattles noisily when I run stony-rough roads, like the back tyres are shaking.

Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 9:42pm On Nov 15, 2017
HITTED:

I'm changing the back first coz it's noisier. It's usually smooth when I'm running expressways or when I climb road bumps but it rattles noisily when I run stony-rough roads, like the back tyres are shaking.
It looks like the 2002 to 2003 model.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by DaimlerBen(m): 9:52pm On Nov 15, 2017
HITTED:

Are you sure it's your shocks? Seek another experienced mechanic first.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by kentochi(m): 11:26pm On Nov 15, 2017
HITTED:
Hi, all.

I need to know where to get good shocks absorbers for my car. I've replaced them three times since last year September and the noise keeps coming back.

Honestly, I don't know the differences because my mechanic buys them all the time. Last time, he bought them tokunbo and not up to 3 weeks the usual noise resumed. But now, I want to do the buying myself. Someone suggested to me today that I get Super Turbo brand but I don't know if it's reliable.

Any suggestions please?
I will give you tokunbo)
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by nurey(m): 7:25am On Nov 16, 2017
HITTED:
Hi, all.

Any suggestions please?

Change your mechanic, it's not shock absorbers yet, you didn't even notice steering out of control and you said it's shock absorbers. Also it's when climbing bumps, if your absorber are bad, you will notice bouncing of that side (front or back)

If your lower arm bushing is bad, the sound you will hear will pass church tower bell

Check other suspension parts like tie rod, bushings and linkages, don't change absorber alone. Also check your steering column bushings too.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 7:44am On Nov 16, 2017
nurey:

Change your mechanic, it's not shock absorbers yet, you didn't even notice steering[b] out of control[/b] and you said it's shock absorbers. Also it's when climbing bumps, if your absorber are bad, you will notice bouncing of that side (front or back)

If your lower arm bushing is bad, the sound you will hear will pass church tower bell

Check other suspension parts like tie rod, bushings and linkages, don't change absorber alone. Also check your steering column bushings too.
God bless you. I think you made some good suggestions. I've never considered other parts like you said, but I suppose the mechanic have informed me instead just changing shocks. I've written down the emboldened words and I'm going to ask the mechanic to inspect them.

But I need to get some things clear...

What do you mean by steering out of control? I usually do wheel balancing and alignment every time I work on the legs, so I've never experienced that. Though, sometimes, after the alignment the steering seems to be a bit tilted to the left or the right.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 8:35am On Nov 16, 2017
HITTED:

God bless you. I think you made some good suggestions. I've never considered other parts like you said, but I suppose the mechanic have informed me instead just changing shocks. I've written down the emboldened words and I'm going to ask the mechanic to inspect them.

What do you mean by steering out of control? I usually do wheel balancing and alignment every time I work on the legs, so I've never experienced that. Though, sometimes, after the alignment the steering seems to be a bit tilted to the left or the right.

The shocks are 20k sir and we do deliveries. You could also check the other things that have been talked about by the other guy and if you can pinpoint the main problem we would supply you the parts.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 9:38am On Nov 16, 2017
CHISPAREPARTS:

The shocks are 20k sir and we do deliveries. You could also check the other things that have been talked about by the other guy and if you can pinpoint the main problem we would supply you the parts.
New or fairly used?
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by nurey(m): 10:01am On Nov 16, 2017
HITTED:

If your front shocks are bad, when you enter pot hole or uneven road at 80km/h,the car will sway left and right like zigzag motion.

Noise in uneven road most times is caused by linkage but the road will be the up and down type as for the bushings, any small vibration even passing bridge divider will give out loud metal sounds like the leg works will come off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 10:21am On Nov 16, 2017
nurey:

If your front shocks are bad, when you enter pot hole or uneven road at 80km/h,the car will sway left and right like zigzag motion.

Noise in uneven road most times is caused by linkage but the road will be the up and down type as for the bushings, any small vibration even passing bridge divider will give out loud metal sounds like the leg works will come off.
Wow! I've never experienced the zigzag swaying since I started driving this car; only the noise. Notes taken. I'll do exactly as you advised, starting with the back side.
Thanks, bro.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2017
HITTED:

New or fairly used?
Pre owned (direct tokunbo). The new ones are 30k and come with a 6 month warranty so it depends on you and what you want.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by earthrealm(m): 12:18pm On Nov 16, 2017
HITTED:

Wow! I've never experienced the zigzag swaying since I started driving this car; only the noise. Notes taken. I'll do exactly as you advised, starting with the back side.
Thanks, bro.

haaa this man, i know you from the dark thread!! grin grin grin, so na this car u dey use carry them..ok oo kwantinuee.
ok back 2 serious stuff - if the noise only happenes on rough roads..its usually tierods, lower or upper control arm bushings, steering kuckle etc.

if you car has a sway bar [a thick rod that runs from right to left tyre] check the bushings and replace..., infact start from there first...suvs usually hv 1 in front, 1 at the rear..your car being a sedan may likely only have 1 - in front
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by HITTED(m): 12:40pm On Nov 16, 2017
earthrealm:

haaa this man, i know you from the dark thread!! grin grin grin, so na this car u dey use carry them..ok oo kwantinuee.
ok back 2 serious stuff - if the noise only happenes on rough roads..its usually tierods, lower or upper control arm bushings, steering kuckle etc.

if you car has a sway bar [a thick rod that runs from right to left tyre] check the bushings and replace..., infact start from there first...suvs usually hv 1 in front, 1 at the rear..your car being a sedan may likely only have 1 - in front
If you know me from the dark thread then you must be using an alternate moniker. grin

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check these things out on Saturday. No more paying mechanics to do what they like.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by Populus: 4:49pm On Nov 16, 2017
CHISPAREPARTS:

Please, what is the cost of the back shocks for a 2001 Toyota Camry? Both New & Tokunbo.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 5:05pm On Nov 16, 2017
Populus:

Please, what is the cost of the back shocks for a 2001 Toyota Camry? Both New & Tokunbo.
The tokunbo ones go for 20k and the new ones go for 25k. We do home deliveries. The tokunbo ones come with a month guarantee while the new ones come with six months warranty.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by Populus: 2:58pm On Nov 17, 2017
CHISPAREPARTS:

The tokunbo ones go for 20k and the new ones go for 25k. We do home deliveries. The tokunbo ones come with a month guarantee while the new ones come with six months warranty.
Do you mean 25k for a pair? Is it same price for front and rear?
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2017
Populus:

Do you mean 25k for a pair? Is it same price for front and rear?
For the pair of the back. You asked for the back
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by Mcmanuel(m): 5:54pm On Nov 17, 2017
CHISPAREPARTS:

For the pair of the back. You asked for the back

Sell honda parts?
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 6:43pm On Nov 17, 2017
Mcmanuel:

Sell honda parts?
Yeah everything
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by EngineerT: 12:25pm On Nov 22, 2017
hello , i have a toyoya camry XLE 2003 model and my front shock especially left leg is even discharging fluid. my mechanic says by ball joint/stabilizer linkages are due for a change.i also complain that when i make a left turn (stationary or during driving), the feeling is like there is air gaps that makes turning a not so smooth riding experience. please how much is the front shock absorbers( new) and ball joints and stabilizer linkages(new)..... i am planning on taking the vehicle for servicing by month end because i will be travilling from lagos to benin and port harcourt and back for the christmas holiday with my family and i dont want any car breakdowns.... please help a needy brother to advice...
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by bravolad(m): 9:32pm On Nov 22, 2017
U need to properly check the sway bar (stabiliser lineake) bushings. That’s likely to be the culprit as @ earthrealm pointed out.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by Mcmanuel(m): 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2017
bravolad:
U need to properly check the sway bar (stabiliser lineake) bushings. That’s likely to be the culprit as @ earthrealm pointed out.

hows ur ride now?

we met at kingreigns
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by bravolad(m): 5:33am On Nov 23, 2017
Mcmanuel:

hows ur ride now?

we met at kingreigns

Great.

Hope ur trip back to Lagos was a good experience.
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by Mcmanuel(m): 8:18am On Nov 23, 2017
bravolad:

Great.

Hope ur trip back to Lagos was a good experience.

grin bumby but sucessful
Re: I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara by Sammig1(m): 6:14pm On May 30, 2022
nairaland is a goldmine. this info helped. i had same issue and it was the linkage.
mine was sounding while turning the steering, sounding on bumpy road, gallops and even smooth roads (but the sound was reduced on smooth roads).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help My Kia Cerato Is Making Unusual Noise When I Shift The Gear Stick / Wat Kinda Rim Shud I Fit On My Corolla Guys! / Lexus RX300 Or Toyota Sienna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.