Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital (38182 Views)

46 Doctors Resign From Ojukwu Teaching Hospital Over Poor Condition Of Service / My Experience At Apata General Hospital Ibadan / 79 Medical Doctors Resign From Kogi Govt Hospitals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by ElPhoche(m): 11:07pm On Nov 22, 2017
I saw this joke that one guy posted yesterday. He said that it was high time the FG looked into the health sector, else, soon, it would be only two doctors that are remaining in Nigeria- Dr Sid and Small doctor ���.
Anything that works for you folks, doctors and non-doctors alike. Each man should do what seems best to him
Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by Exciton(m): 1:43pm On Nov 23, 2017
googi:
Thank you for that curriculum comment.

Every comment here recognized the inhospitable environment every worker no matter his educational background found himself. It is nothing to glorify.

Some have issues with those students that have benefited most and were subsidized most from the adverse system- running away with our investment.

I have to tell this story. One of the Nigerian trained doctors came for postgraduate course. When he told the class that he could not even get clean water to wash his hands after operations, I was so ashamed, I did not know when I disputed his story in class.

Though I realized he could be telling the truth. He was told he needed to go back home and fix the problem. Coming back home, I knew it was not going to be easy. But the recognition, respect and pride at home cannot be compared to the disdain you get abroad, even if you become the President of United States.

If Prof. Happi was waiting for readymade equipment from abroad, instead of modifying what he had to come up with novel method, he would not have diagnosed Ebola in 48 hours.

That is how we complained about how expensive tractors, chicken feed and wheat were until some thought about trytor, modified old fashion way of feeding chicken and sold it as import, used cassava in bread before the public accepted it.

My friend is crying about Xray. Nobody could find out or make Xray out of old machine but a guy in Kaduna can make helicopter from scrap yard?

Agree with everything you said.

The annoying thing is that they've been listing really fixable issues as their reason for leaving: no Panadol, no water to wash hands, no electrical power, no separate rooms for TB patients etc. Some guy also said Gabon has better equipment than us. Surely, our health budget must be higher than Gabon and some other African countries with better healthcare. So, what exactly are their bosses doing with the funds?

Of course we are a poorly developed nation, we aren't gonna have the money to fully stock our hospitals with the nicest equipment. That's why engineers, scientists and doctors have to work together to, at least, make an attempt to build equipment at a much cheaper cost. I previously stated the use of 3D printing to make cheap stuff.

As you said, to the best of my knowledge (I do some XRD measurements), there's no reason why we (a nation of 180 million people) can't build an x-ray machine on our own. You're just focusing x-rays on a specimen and they hit a photographic plate - no major post processing analysis required. You accelerate electrons at high potential off some low ionization energy material, aimied at a target material like copper and you produce x-rays. Figuring how to ensure safe doses and correctly focusing the x-rays on the area of interest is all that's left.

One thing I'm sure of is that if we all keep running away, we'll never build a great nation.

1 Like

Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by elsomm(m): 7:48pm On Nov 23, 2017
maxjax:
so its now up to the native doctors
If they too, will not move out
Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by maxjax(m): 8:52pm On Nov 23, 2017
elsomm:

If they too, will not move out
they too have been going & coming.......to India anyway cheesy
Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by OlaEkundayo: 10:47pm On Nov 24, 2017
“Investment in education is not a matter of luxury. If you want you must invest. You give universities a pittance to produce the same graduate that you pay 12,000 pounds to train. The more we train, substantial number of them drift away because if you train somebody, it is not even fair on the person to expect that he will come back and not have working tools. That guy will either leave the country or stay and waste. This is a big deal."

That was said by the Vice-Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University. It is an ideal summary.
Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by googi: 2:02am On Nov 25, 2017
When I made example out of cassava bread and helicopter from scrap yard, I thought I was making my point simple enough. Little did I know I would be challenged on that.

But thank you sir for understanding my point and specifically giving the X-ray example.

At the risk of being misunderstood again, let me give another analogy. We ask parents to try and love their children equally. You never know which of them would return your investment in them. We all have a role to play.

I am not an engineer but if everyone is invested in, their motivation would be high to invent and make life easier for those not even in their fields. This is why most universities now have interdisciplinary units where Arts and Science meet to dream and generate funds or make schools and country self sufficient.

Yes, I saw the argument of the Vice-Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello. What I took out of it was the diagram of a member that compared GDP to university funding. May God bless him.

The mumu Vice Chancellor on welfare all his life, paid to go to school, is comparing the amount spent on foreign graduates with that spent on Nigerian graduates. Even if he is not asking Nigerian students to pay more, which African country has the GDP big enough to those of Oxford or Harvard?

I wonder how much Cuba spends on their medical graduates because the world recognize their educational system as one of the best in the world. How many students can even afford to attend Nigerian private schools?

Ladies and gentlemen, we all need to sit down and think. This is not a bi or tri partisan issue. Young people cannot wait for Gani Fawehinmi, Tai solari or Wole Soyinka to invade the Senate and the House. They played their parts. The future of Nigeria that Africa and the rest of black world depend on is at stake. Nigerian, imagine, from the land that used to flow with wara and honey, are dying in the sea and deserts. The future of the Country is in your hands, the future belongs to you not your dads or grandmas.

Exciton:

Agree with everything you said.

The annoying thing is that they've been listing really fixable issues as their reason for leaving: no Panadol, no water to wash hands, no electrical power, no separate rooms for TB patients etc. Some guy also said Gabon has better equipment than us. Surely, our health budget must be higher than Gabon and some other African countries with better healthcare. So, what exactly are their bosses doing with the funds?

Of course we are a poorly developed nation, we aren't gonna have the money to fully stock our hospitals with the nicest equipment. That's why engineers, scientists and doctors have to work together to, at least, make an attempt to build equipment at a much cheaper cost. I previously stated the use of 3D printing to make cheap stuff.

As you said, to the best of my knowledge (I do some XRD measurements), there's no reason why we (a nation of 180 million people) can't build an x-ray machine on our own. You're just focusing x-rays on a specimen and they hit a photographic plate - no major post processing analysis required. You accelerate electrons at high potential off some low ionization energy material, aimied at a target material like copper and you produce x-rays. Figuring how to ensure safe doses and correctly focusing the x-rays on the area of interest is all that's left.

One thing I'm sure of is that if we all keep running away, we'll never build a great nation.

1 Like

Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by excel123: 3:58am On Nov 25, 2017
Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by Nigeriadondie: 8:33am On Nov 25, 2017
Pidgin2:

You have said it all. It's time to change things, as it is, we are simply training for the West. Imagine this scenario; our doctors pay less than 10% of what American doctors pay to get trained through our Universities yet they all want to earn as much as doctors earn, working in one of the most robust economies in the world

It's time for change, Cuba has done it, China, India and many more. If our medical school curriculum focuses largely on training for tropical diseases, emphasis should also be given to diseases peculiar to the black race and development of herbal medicines, it will help a lot and also make our doctors less attractive to the West. Those who want to broaden their scope can go and pay for Western education and work there afterwards.
So when will the time for change come? How long wud we wait for that change? How many lives would be wasted before the time for change comes? So u admit China and India has done but have we?
Make ur research well. I will give u links to watch for yourself and be very sincere with yourself. Look at the so called prestigious UNILAG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsr0ESrtLjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYy3fJIC9lg

Look at a Ghanian medical college hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr2yxfijcD4

I don’t need to compare universities in South Africa with Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 900 Doctors Resign From University College Hospital, Ibadan & Lagos Hospital by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 31, 2018
TheTrueApostle:

u are really devoid of common sense... So why haven't the God u have been calling led the nation out of darkness?
Because He cannot force new generation idiots like you to do the right thing. He is God not a man. Hey, don't bother replying because I've got no time for staggered goats like you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Three Sisters With Werewolf Syndrome Fear They'll Never Get Married / Omicron: Canada's Confirmed Cases From Persons With Recent Travel From Nigeria / Swollen Testicles: My Right Egg Is 3 Times The Size Of My Left Egg, Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.