Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,425 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage (20696 Views)

My Wife's Ex-Boyfriend Is About To Ruin My Marriage / Wife Trying To Ruin My Career Within A Few Months Of Arriving Abroad / My Husband's Pride Wants To Ruin Our Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by nairametrics: 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2017
If you’re few steps to tying the knot this info is timely for you. If on the other hand your marriage is a done ‘signed and sealed’ deal, you might still be in time to save your home. love is ideal for a home but for a long-lasting relationship between man and wife, all your ‘money-matters’ need to be handled upfront and delicately at that. people tend to overlook the impact that money has over their lives until a few years down the line (if that) when they are arguing about who to pay which bills and who not to. Financial missteps could be disastrous for your marriage and should be avoided at all cost.

A few such missteps include;

Being secretive about money

Most marriages suffer because of lack of communication. Spouses treat themselves as strangers when it comes to money. I can’t say I really blame them; with the increasing rate of separation and divorces in the country, people would much rather keep their little ‘secret stash’ for rainy days. The truth is that to avoid drowning yourselves in deep waters, you need to be open about money. Talk about your income, your debts, your credits, your spending habits; put everything out in the open. Although it’s better to have this talk before marriage, it’s not late to do so now.

Turning a blind eye to money problems

Its funny how one spouse would find out about a financial problem (most likely an unpaid bill) and turn a blind eye to it waiting expectantly for the partner to handle it. This also boils down to communication. Don’t put things off when they are related to money. Tackle issues sooner before they become even more complicating. The best way to resolve this is to try and split responsibilities up. Do so openly without assumptions. Your husband might be assuming that you’ll pay the NEPA bill this month and you on your part, might be thinking that he already paid the bill. This is why you need both communication and clarity.

Having zero- savings and no financial goals

As a couple, you need to sit down and plan for your future together. You took a together-forever oath so you don’t expect to just take it one day at a time. Forever is a long time to leave without solid plans. A lot of marriages fail as a result of this mistake. The husband and his wife have no plans for their future financially and when children with their added responsibilities enter the picture, the little money they have tends to diminish. Aside from your personal savings, it’s advisable to make savings as a family. Put some money aside every month.

One-sided burden

Marriages where only one partner carries the financial burden of the family are most likely to crash sooner than letter. There should be support from the spouse. The couple should be able to split the burden in order for the family to make any head way financially. Marriage requires teamwork not just for reproduction, but for money too. When one person handles the finances of the family it is very easy for the other to misunderstand them. This brings about rebellion and inevitably dispute. On the other hand the spouse handling the finances could be harboring secret resentment towards their partner for not helping out. You don’t want to be a burden to your spouse so figure out a way to help them out.

Merging your accounts

In the spirit of love and to prove their trust in their spouse, some people make the mistake of forming a joint account. While it is a sweet gesture, it might be the fastest route to a divorce. What a lot of people forget is that ‘you are first an individual before you are a husband/wife’. As such, you have private needs and wants. If you must have a joint account, then do so but maintain your personal accounts as well. See the joint account as your family savings account. Before you do start a joint account though, both of you should sit and discuss the terms of operation of the said account.

As you can clearly see, most of these problems are avoidable but due to ignorance some people walk right into them. Now that we’ve clearly pointed them out, do the needful and have that long avoided money talk with your spouse. It’s a start in the right direction so stop putting it off.

READ MORE:https://nairametrics.com/financial-missteps-ruin-marriage/

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by miqos02(m): 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2017
@poster, how many marriages did you sampled to conclude on this ?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by alfredo4u(m): 1:00pm On Nov 17, 2017
2nd to comment.... Not bad

Theory for the poor............Bros if u r rich you will definitely know what to do to avoid such mistakes.

Can Dangote, Adenuga do such mistake?

Pray make God bless you well

C u at the top.....

2 Likes

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by Chuukwudi(m): 1:00pm On Nov 17, 2017
Ok
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by Benjom(m): 1:00pm On Nov 17, 2017
smiley
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by BruncleZuma: 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2017
grin grin grin grin

This op again...
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by bobbyruffy(m): 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2017
i disagree on the joint account thang. Where's the love and being one

1 Like

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by lonelydora: 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2017
Since i made my lovely wife my financial manager, my savings jumped to a whopping 40% increase monthly.
But she releases beer/hang out money when the need arises. She understands.

Remember 1+1=1

Merging accounts is the best incase of eventualities (God forbid shaa), banks won't stress the other partner.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by Amhappy(f): 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2017
Selfishness and lack of sense of responsibility is what i call it
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by Turks: 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2017
Merging accounts should be number one!

Women can make a fuss over money ehn.

1 Like

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by pdpisGONE: 1:03pm On Nov 17, 2017
marriage advice rom an unmarried blogger = trash
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by dino2006(m): 1:04pm On Nov 17, 2017
Nice tips
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by pabostt: 1:05pm On Nov 17, 2017
Point number is very valid. Being secretive about your finances may lead to lack of trust in marriage.

Some men believe telling their wives how much they earn at work will affect their spending or make them vulnerable to their wives monetary demands. Therefore, they become secretive about their income. treatrelationships.com.ng

1 Like

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by miqos02(m): 1:05pm On Nov 17, 2017
alfredo4u:
2nd to comment.... Not bad

Theory for the poor............Bros if u r rich you will definitely know what to do to avoid such mistakes.

Can Dangote, Adenuga do such mistake?

Pray make God bless wells....

C u at the top.....
any reward ?
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by dingbang(m): 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2017
Above all marry a supportive spouse
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by AreaFada2: 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2017
bobbyruffy:
i disagree on the joint account thang. Where's the love and being one

A joint account should be separate from individual accounts. Set up a direct debit to direct money into joint account monthly as the case maybe.

While secrecy over money is bad, lack of freedom to use own money individually can also cause agro. So the middle way above is reasonable.

2 Likes

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 17, 2017
okay
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by mez57: 1:08pm On Nov 17, 2017
If you think i will read that long article you must be a Joker

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by MaryBenn(f): 1:08pm On Nov 17, 2017
sad
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by Sirheny007(m): 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2017
AreaFada2:

A joint account should be separate from individual accounts. Set up a direct debit to direct money into joint account monthly as the case maybe.

While secrecy over money is bad, lack of freedom to use own money individually can also cause agro. So the middle way above is reasonable.

1 Share

Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by malikisunday(m): 1:10pm On Nov 17, 2017
well said
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by OPHRONESIS: 1:10pm On Nov 17, 2017
If you can’t see it, how can you make it better?

It doesn’t pay to say to the CFO: These numbers on the P&L aren’t true.
And arguing with BUA or Konga about your market share stats doesn’t work either.
You can’t make things better if you can’t agree on the data.

Real breakthroughs are sometimes accompanied by new data, by new metrics, by new ways of measurement. But unless we agree in advance on what’s happening, it’s difficult to accomplish much.

If you don’t like what’s happening, an easy way out appears to be to blame the messenger. After all, if the data (whether it’s an event, a result or a law of physics) isn’t true, you’re off the hook.

The argument is pretty easy to make: if the data has ever been wrong before, if there’s ever been bias, or a mistake, or a theory that’s been improved, well, then, who’s to say that it’s right this time?

“Throw it all out.” That’s the cowardly and selfish thing to do. Don’t believe anything that makes you look bad. All video is suspect, as is anything that is reported, journaled or computed.

The problem is becoming more and more clear: once we begin to doubt the messenger, we stop having a clear way to see reality. The conspiracy theories begin to multiply. If everyone is entitled to their own facts and their own narrative, then what exists other than direct emotional experience?

And if all we’ve got is direct emotional experience, our particular statement of reality, how can we possibly make things better?
If we don’t know what’s happened, if we don’t know what’s happening, and worst of all, if we can’t figure out what’s likely to happen next, how do take action?

No successful organization works this way. It’s impossible to imagine a well-functioning team of people where there’s a fundamental disagreement about the data.

Demand that those you trust and those you work with accept the ref’s calls, the validity of the x-ray and the reality of what’s actually happening. Anything less than that is a shortcut to chaos.

We’ve love to hear from you! Share a comment here or Tweet us www.twitter.com/aeviasnigeria
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by alfredo4u(m): 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2017
miqos02:
any reward ?

Imaging coming second in class.....head of fish awaits u in my house
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by DIKEnaWAR: 1:14pm On Nov 17, 2017
Let me show my pastor first
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by kyleopt(m): 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2017
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 17, 2017
All this one na long story. Before you marry any lady, use very strong juju tie her for the rest of her life. Na the secret when politicians dey use be that
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by stuffs4me(m): 2:18pm On Nov 17, 2017
Why do most women avoid this kind of threads like a plague.
Re: Financial Missteps That Could Ruin Your Marriage by RapportNaija(m): 2:19pm On Nov 17, 2017
cool

Frugality is good, especially in a marriage.

WHEN A MARRIAGE IS TOO EXPENSIVE, BREAKUP/SEPARATION/DIVORCE becomes very CHEAP!

See WHAT TO DO IN YOUR 20s TO BE A MILLIONAIRE BY 30

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? / Adults Misunderstanding Kids' Questions. / How Would You React To This Video As A Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.