Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,086 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? (20294 Views)

Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / How To Add Numbers To Airtel Family And Friends 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by ikorodureporta: 6:47am On Nov 17, 2017
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by emorse(m): 6:49am On Nov 17, 2017
Your friend is probably a G boy.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by xreal: 6:55am On Nov 17, 2017
So u don't pick Nigerian numbers?

That's not good.

8 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by niqqaclaimz(m): 7:00am On Nov 17, 2017
Ok
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by NwaAmaikpe: 7:00am On Nov 17, 2017
shocked

Well, I think I'm not so bothered by it.

You don't get to be asked 'Oboy, where you dey?',
'Wetin you dey bring come?'
'When you dey show?'

It's lots easier to say you are calling through a different phone.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by maximunimpact(m): 7:01am On Nov 17, 2017
hmmm
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by RapportNaija(m): 7:01am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:

Never say what you didn't know. Z boy Ni!

OP, it is true they do it! I don't know why, but that's what they do!

Okay, I'm trying to recollect the reason...

I heard it was because they try to make the calls cheaper, that's why they change to local numbers.

International networks discovered that Nigerian networks charge exorbitant calling fees, so they found a way around it by converting to local numbers...

While you're here, see HOW TO STYLISHLY GET A WOMAN'S PHONE NUMBER

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by torres89: 7:01am On Nov 17, 2017
it's a very technical issue, only experts can explain to experts.
but it's nothing extra ordinary or intentional.
sometimes to offer ultra high frequency, too many changes and variances take place. your phone might be too slow to process such quick changes.
it's better to have this kind of issue than to have break in network when talking.

I suggest u check your phones network capabilities. it might just be running too slow,

I doubt if this will be an issue with iPhone users.

I tried to sound as lame as possible

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 7:01am On Nov 17, 2017
Please Where Can I Get # iPhone 8 For 20k... ? Esanu Mi...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by yorex2011: 7:02am On Nov 17, 2017
Yh.. I've noticed it too.. I think they know anyways

3 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by elujah1(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2017
Doubt it
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by afoltundeseun(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2017
RapportNaija:

Never say what you didn't know. Z boy Ni!

OP, it is true they do it! I don't know why, but that's what they do!

Okay, I'm trying to recollect the reason...

I heard it was because they try to make the calls cheaper, that's why they change to local numbers.

International networks discovered that Nigerian networks charge exorbitant calling fees, so they found a way around it by converting to local numbers...
what you're saying doesn't even make sense at all

16 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2017
Please Where Can I Get # iPhone 8 For 20k... ? Esanu Mi...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Abudu2000(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:
madmen everywhere

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Monaco2(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2017
The thing sef tire me..... The useless idiots up top are trying to save costs.... N it's really annoying
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lordcenturion2(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2017
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

I tried to find out, some people said is because to call Nigeria from outside is now expensive, and the telecoms will tried to decode it and use Nigerian number just to press down the call rate charges a little bit,

Early last year, I can make 25-30 minutes calls with only 10 dollars but now 10 dollar can only stand for just 3-5 minutes....i heard that ncc or something has increased international inbound or something....

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by blackpanda: 7:03am On Nov 17, 2017
Nobody convert anytin biko

Ya flend de united states of oshodi ��
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by naijaboiy: 7:03am On Nov 17, 2017
How many other people has it happened to before you concluded it’s their doing?
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by kolomax(m): 7:03am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:
just shut the hell up if you don't know the reason behind it Instead of saying crap

the funniest thing about it is that you can't call back the number.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by bugidon(m): 7:03am On Nov 17, 2017
So what do you want us to do now?
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Prinxx(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2017
it's a billing issue, the cost of your telecom operators to continue to meet up with the bilateral agreement owing to the exchange rate has made them resort to the cheapest operator. Invariably a third party is in picture.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by marcopollo(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2017
I noticed that, too, from a US number last two months ago. I thought it was a mix up or something. I was confused.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Arebay(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2017
It's your friend's network...reltel does it .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by kayuseful: 7:04am On Nov 17, 2017
some of these foreign networks route your calls to some local network provider to facilitate their international calls . blame the foreign network, not Nigerian

2 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Settingz321(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2017
What happen is that any old number that has been blocked or damage for more than two months without u retrieving it, would be repackage and sold out to another customer
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by dopechoks(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2017
.I think this is true, I've had people call me from UK, Australia, USA and even Canada with Nigerian numbers...I have been wondering what the reason is...I don't think that even the callers know about this
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by SlyIg(f): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....

You are very right o.
It has happened a number of times and the person didn't even know.
I was even confused.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by DieBuhari: 7:05am On Nov 17, 2017
With the animal called Buhari in charge, anything goes.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Fingerprinter(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2017
Lincoln275:
Please Where Can I Get # iPhone 8 For 20k... ?
Esanu Mi...

Abuja kaduna highway, with a gun!

8 Likes

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by correctguy101(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2017
emorse:

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by IamUdo(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2017
It's diversion. It's more expensive for a foreign number to connect to a local Nigerian number so they connect through a local network to make it less expensive for the networks not the users.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Words Do You Hate Seeing On Social Media? / Get Free Recharge Card And Data On Mtn / 100% Free Us Ip Software Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.