Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,768 members, 7,806,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Teacher From Sokoto State And His English On Facebook (Photos) - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teacher From Sokoto State And His English On Facebook (Photos) (73113 Views)

Drama As SSS 3 Student Proposes To His English Teacher In Lagos / Man Congratulates His Brother After His NYSC But His English Got People Talking / N-Power Admin Responds To Grammatical Error Of Graduate Of English On Their Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teacher From Sokoto State And His English On Facebook (Photos) by AreaFada2: 1:26am On Nov 19, 2017
Pidgin2:

Why is English so hard for an average Northerner to speak and write, even the educated ones? After spending years studying a language one is expected to have a good command of it or should we conclude that you people are not just intelligent enough. For example, if the same group of people were exposed to another intellectual language e.g. German, they will still find it difficult to grasp. In conclusion, it seems like the intelligence quotient of an average Northerner is low.

Lol. It has nothing to do with IQ. Remember that Northerners became educated before Southerners. Uthman Dan Fodio was writing many religious treatise in the 1790s/1810s. A time very few in the South were educated. A matter of priority.

I think the South looks towards Western education and the North look towards Arabic/Middle Eastern religion/education. Remember that in medieval times, Arabic science eclipsed Western science, be it in Maths/algebra (Arabic invention), astronomy, medicine, etc. Western science as we know it now borrowed from Arabic work.

Remember that most Hausas are very well-informed about the world and politics via BBC Hausa. Even your Mai-Chai has his radio beside him.

You quickly labelled me a Northerner because of my objectivity. I am not.
By the way I learnt various Western languages with various people, including some Northerners. Some are lawyers, medics, accountants today. Plying their trade in the West. All very articulate in Western languages.

Let's not the bigoted.
Re: Teacher From Sokoto State And His English On Facebook (Photos) by Nobody: 4:39am On Nov 19, 2017
AreaFada2:

Lol. It has nothing to do with IQ. Remember that Northerners became educated before Southerners. Uthman Dan Fodio was writing many religious treatise in the 1790s/1810s. A time very few in the South were educated. A matter of priority.

I think the South looks towards Western education and the North look towards Arabic/Middle Eastern religion/education. Remember that in medieval times, Arabic science eclipsed Western science, be it in Maths/algebra (Arabic invention), astronomy, medicine, etc. Western science as we know it now borrowed from Arabic work.

Remember that most Hausas are very well-informed about the world and politics via BBC Hausa. Even your Mai-Chai has his radio beside him.

You quickly labelled me a Northerner because of my objectivity. I am not.
By the way I learnt various Western languages with various people, including some Northerners. Some are lawyers, medics, accountants today. Plying their trade in the West. All very articulate in Western languages.

Let's not the bigoted.

Kaduna, Kano, Taraba, Jos and Jigawa States have a sizeable population of Christians who do not learn or speak Arabic yet they do not speak English well so you don't have a point at all. Your argument about Arabic prowess can't hold water amongst Northern Christian communities in the North.

Official language in Nigeria is English not Arabic or Hausa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teacher From Sokoto State And His English On Facebook (Photos) by AreaFada2: 3:40pm On Nov 19, 2017
Pidgin2:

Kaduna, Kano, Taraba, Jos and Jigawa States have a sizeable population of Christians who do not learn or speak Arabic yet they do not speak English well so you don't have a point at all. Your argument about Arabic prowess can't hold water amongst Northern Christian communities in the North.

Official language in Nigeria is English not Arabic or Hausa

All over Nigeria, many struggle with English. In the South there are now kids that cannot speak any local dialect. Only pidgin & English.
Even we in the South what have we invented with our English grammar? Name one thing Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon has invented with all his grandiloquence.

Let me tell you, in some of UK's best universities, VERY many PhD students are from China. Most cannot command English well at all. I first noticed that trend like 15 years back. Yet they finish their research across STEM subjects returning to China to further increase the industrial prowess. China is not English speaking yet they excel. If you saw a Northerner doing PhD in a top UK university, you can equally take his not so brilliant English for low IQ. While top Western academics thin otherwise.

You have not done any peer-reviewed work comparing IQ in the North & South of 9ja among similar age groups & of similar social-economic status to make any sense.

In this age of knowledge just saying what you think, though your right, does not make it true. Evidence-based work is what coun, not subjective observations.
Re: Teacher From Sokoto State And His English On Facebook (Photos) by OgaBuhari: 11:39pm On May 07, 2019
hidhrhis:

all tribes have problem with d lanuage
why?
it is not our language but out of all d prominent tribes in nigeria hausa is d worst in terms of speaking english and writing it down
no I think it's Akwa ibom
Re: Teacher From Sokoto State And His English On Facebook (Photos) by Omartins365(m): 7:30pm On Dec 01, 2020
Getting ready for your 2021 JAMB UTME online @ QUIZZERWEB Academy

You need to continually improve your performance by constant practice

Head on to QUIZZERWEB Academy now @ https://quizzerweb.com.ng/academy/1/quizzerweb/

It's totally free

It a premium opportunity
QUIZZERWEB.COM.NG

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

100 Possible Questions From Jamb Sweet Sixteen / Pyjamas Day: See What Schools Are Turning Into / What Was The Craziest Thing You Experienced In Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.