Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,764 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power (4760 Views)

Dangote Pledges To Assist FG To Turnaround Nigeria’s Economy / South West And North Central States Picked For Nuclear Power Stations / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by PapaBrowne(m): 8:41pm On Mar 23, 2010
US to assist Nigeria, others on nuclear power

The United States of America has pledged to assist Nigeria and other African countries interested in generating electricity from nuclear sources.

The US Ambassador to Nigeria, Ms. Robin Sanders, who made the pledge on Monday in Abuja at a meeting of the Forum of Nuclear Regulatory Bodies in Africa, said that the US would render the assistance through the International Atomic Energy Agency, working with the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority and Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission.

Sanders said the US was pleased that African countries had come together to create the FNRBA, which would help them exchange ideas and experiences in building their nuclear legislative and regulatory capacities.

She explained that “developing a safe and reliable nuclear power is a major undertaking that requires long-term planning and development and a huge investment for any country.

“The United States is appreciative that the FNRBA is taking a methodical and systematic approach in helping member states develop the foundation for the safe and reliable application of nuclear technology.”

The ambassador further stressed that every country must recognise the risks associated with the application of nuclear technology and the importance of safeguarding nuclear materials from falling into the wrong hands.

Nine countries, including Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Libya, Morocco and Nigeria are members of the FNRBA.

Other member countries are South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania and Tunisia.

Delivering his opening address, the Special Adviser to the President on Petroleum Matters and the Alternative Chairman of NNRA, Dr. Emmanuel Egbogah, said about 20 African countries were at various stages of implementing nuclear power programmes.

He explained that the high number of African countries and other considerations led Nigeria to spearhead the formation of the FNRBA.

He noted that Nigeria was aware of the prevailing international anxiety over nuclear security and proliferation of nuclear weapons.

To allay the fears, Egbogah invited the international community to share with Nigeria and other African countries how to pursue the utilisation of nuclear energy for power generation in a peaceful and safe manner.

In his speech, the Director General, Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority, Prof. Shamsudeen Elegba, noted that the workshop was aimed to sharing experiences as Africa, outside South Africa, took the first deliberate steps in the generation of electricity from nuclear power plants.

According to him, the objectives of the forum are to “provide a platform for fostering regional cooperation, provide for the exchange of expertise, information and experience, provide opportunity for mutual support and coordination of regional initiatives and leverage the development and optimization of resource utilization.”

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003231355854

Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Fhemmmy: 8:45pm On Mar 23, 2010
Is this new or same that was said some weeks back?
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by PapaBrowne(m): 3:02am On Mar 24, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Is this new or same that was said some weeks back?

The quote below answers the question

The US Ambassador to Nigeria, Ms. Robin Sanders, who made the pledge on Monday in Abuja at a meeting of the Forum of Nuclear Regulatory Bodies in Africa, said that the US would render the assistance through the International Atomic Energy Agency, working with the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority and Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Becomrich17: 4:03am On Mar 24, 2010
I am an electrical engineer. Who worked in Nigeria. It is only a mad man that would want a Nuclear Power in Nigeria.  Can everybody write down todays date. You would be back to say Adesegun warn you. I have lived in Canada for a very long time. I know the different between Nigeria and canada. And I believe I know what is best and in my judgement. I see God asking me, what did I do. History would have it on record. When it happened.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 24, 2010
Hope we're ready for such technologies.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by kayc33(m): 12:26pm On Mar 24, 2010
same ol' story
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 24, 2010
Becomrich/:

I am an electrical engineer. Who worked in Nigeria. It is only a mad man that would want a Nuclear Power in Nigeria.  Can everybody write down todays date. You would be back to say Adesegun warn you. I have lived in Canada for a very long time. I know the different between Nigeria and canada. And I believe I know what is best and in my judgement. I see God asking me, what did I do. History would have it on record. When it happened.

i have to agree with our resident electricty engineer - with our zero maintenance culture, 25% ers a nuclear plant is just asking for Chernobyl

oddly enough, some foolish, ignorant politicians will be advocating for the hazard to be st up in their backyard
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Becomrich17: 12:33pm On Mar 24, 2010
There are other alternate source of generation of power. We cant handle Nuclear power plant. We would have trouble. Even the west have problem with it , with thier technology so advance. I remember the case in russia.

I am oppose to it. Our motive are not pure. If God gave me the power, I would bann the use of nuclear bomb all over the world. Human should not be killing other human.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by okeymadu(m): 12:35pm On Mar 24, 2010
Pessimists.

If we can sort out telecommunication problems … remember the problem of NITEL, WE CAN equally make this work. let us keep encouraging our leaders in their quest at finding a lasting solution to the PHCN inactivity.

Nigeria has a great future!
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by otawa: 12:40pm On Mar 24, 2010
Nigerians should open their eyes.

Nothing NUCLEAR will be done.

US is just trying to stop RUSSIA from doing this with Nigeria.

US oil companies are all over Niger Delta, yet they practice CRAPS they cant do in Houston in Niger Delta!
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by debosky(m): 12:41pm On Mar 24, 2010
oyb:

i have to agree with our resident electricty engineer - with our zero maintenance culture, 25% ers a nuclear plant is just asking for Chernobyl

oddly enough, some foolish, ignorant  politicians will be advocating for the hazard to be st up in their backyard

We have had a nuclear reactor in operation since 2004 with no issues. We can maintain and run nuclear reactors given the right controls and assistance from international regulators.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/P1360_ICRR_2007_CD/Papers/S.A.%20Jonah.pdf

We can't keep saying no each time - everyone else, including oil rich countries like the UAE is adopting nuclear technology as required. We can't sit on the fence and continue to excuse incompetence.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:44pm On Mar 24, 2010
As long as they site it very very very very very very very far from where people stay because I trust this naija very soon nuclear reactor will burst.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 24, 2010
debosky:

We have had a nuclear reactor in operation since 2004 with no issues. We can maintain and run nuclear reactors given the right controls and assistance from international regulators.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/P1360_ICRR_2007_CD/Papers/S.A.%20Jonah.pdf

We can't keep saying no each time - everyone else, including oil rich countries like the UAE is adopting nuclear technology as required. We can't sit on the fence and continue to excuse incompetence.

i remember in 2004, we were called to phcn Benin transmission. several of their distance protection relays - the equipment which monitors and protects the transmission lines circuits, and in effect the distribution of power across nigeria through benin had gone down

why? because nobody had bothered to service the air conditioners in the control room.

the sad truth is that in businesses run by the federal government, there is no culture of accountability/ownership

its not about excusing it - its about accepting that these are the facts.

we have too many square pegs in round holes, and as long as this perisists - i will be against a nuclear station

what keeps several things in place in nigeria is the safety measures and inherent durability of the infrastructure from when it was first commissioned . i'm sure we will find that some ogas are eating the maintenance budget of that power plant

as for international supervsion - i have found that people often relax their standards etal when they are in naija.

kainji dam was built by a firm (i forget where from)  and supervised by another firm (based in canada)

i was there in 2004 and during the course of our work, we found that several corners had been cut - and this was a job that was done in the late 1960s

when you are answering to lazy, ineffectual bureaucrats, you become sloppy.

everyone else, including oil rich countries like the UAE is adopting nuclear technology as required

sad that our leaders have no foresight beyond stockpiling public funds for their future generations is all i can say sad
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Davo09: 1:03pm On Mar 24, 2010
Becomrich/:

We dont need pessimist at this moment; those that have gone round the world thinking we here in nigeria can't do all what they see, we have the right brains, the resources, we only need commitment from our Government. With nuclear the problem of power failure will be over.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by MPEROR: 1:50pm On Mar 24, 2010
BECOMERICH advice them to build it close to the petroleum University in Kaduna, and another one in Jos .we don't need such installation in the south we'll rather have our electricity generated by coal from Enugu. windmill farm at Ibeno and QUE IBOE RIVER we build more wind mill in Calabar,Ikot abasi and across the Niger Delta which will cheaper. Solar Panel could be installed all around Lokoja and Abuja
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by ElRazur: 2:00pm On Mar 24, 2010
@debosky

A quick glance at the pdf document on my phone shows that it is for research and in operation for limited amount of time.

Surely, this is not the same as running a full blown NPF?
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by wirinet(m): 2:02pm On Mar 24, 2010
For once Becomerich and I are operating on the same wavelength. I would shout it again and again, SAY NO NO NUCLEAR POWER STATION!! It is a white elephant project.

The Niger Delta has enough gas (most of which is being flared) to supply half of Africa with electricity and probably pipe some to energy hungry Europe also. The Niger Delta can be converted to one giant electricity generating zone. It is easier to expert electricity than to export gas.

Also we still have untapped rivers where we could dam to obtain plenty hydro electricity.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by asha80(m): 2:08pm On Mar 24, 2010
If i may ask USA generates a substantial amount of its energy from coal.What is wrong in using the coal deposits in enugu and environs to generate energy which is cheaper and less dangerous before we delve into nuclear  
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Pain(m): 2:30pm On Mar 24, 2010
Nuclear Option for a country that has been unable to effectively manage and distribute Hydro electric power in the last 50 years?

I think the subjectof this thread should be modified to " US To Assist Nigeria on Her Quest for Self Destruction"
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by debosky(m): 2:36pm On Mar 24, 2010
ElRazur:

@debosky

A quick glance at the pdf document on my phone shows that it is for research and in operation for limited amount of time.

Surely, this is not the same as running a full blown NPF?

I didn't say it was. All I wanted to point out was that, given sufficient supervision and external assistance, Nigeria can conceivably run a safe nuclear facility.

@ Oyb

There is no reason why it MUST be the FG to run power plants in Nigeria - Shell is running Afam, Agip is running Kwale. It doesn't have to be run by government.

The starting point should be our energy needs, the plausible means of meeting the need and then selecting the most favourable options, not simply saying nuclear power means the nation will blow up.

Pain:

Nuclear Option for a country that has been unable to effectively manage and distribute Hydro electric power in the last 50 years?

I think the subjectof this thread should be modified to " US To Assist Nigeria on Her Quest for Self Destruction"

We might as well all go back to the village and use candles for lighting. Even though Nigeria might have failed to manage facilities properly in the past, that can never be an option for not examining options and moving forward.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by ElRazur: 2:50pm On Mar 24, 2010
debosky:

I didn't say it was. All I wanted to point out was that, given sufficient supervision and external assistance, Nigeria can conceivably run a safe nuclear facility.

I see what you mean. However, the issue of monitoring a nation like Nigeria when it comes to Nuclear use will be seen as some as another form of colonialism etc.

Also when it comes to running a full blown version, there are many unseen outcome. Since we are talking nuclear here, perhaps Nigeria is better off with another method until a maintenance culture is instilled in us - those who will be trusted to run the facility. If we don't, I foresee a Chernobyl-like event at some point.

As the matter stands, I am on the fence to be honest. I want constant power supply as it will help ease a lot of things, but then the lack of maintenance culture won't come over night.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Fhemmmy: 2:52pm On Mar 24, 2010
I never doubt Nigeria being able to run such, just hope we will be able to maintain it, cos Nigeria is good at building and never service it
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by webgenius(m): 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2010
I wonder if the plant can be sited in the sahara with collaboration from Niger Republic and the power transmitted down to Nigeria.We are currently supplying them from energy derived from our hydroplant at Kainji so that they do not dam the River Niger, so we can also reach an amicable arrangement on this nuclear thing.
Once it is economically viable,it is worth considering at least as an alternative to hydro or gas powered systems given the volatility of the Niger delta and seasonal variations in the water level of the River Niger or the plethora of snakes which often block our turbines as we are often told.
We also have to work on distribution and transmission capabilities
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Fhemmmy: 2:56pm On Mar 24, 2010
webgenius:

I wonder if the plant can be sited in the sahara with collaboration from Niger Republic and the power transmitted down to Nigeria.We are currently supplying them from energy derived from our hydroplant at Kainji so that they do not dam the River Niger, so we can also reach an amicable arrangement on this nuclear thing.
Once it is economically viable,it is worth considering at least as an alternative to hydro or gas powered systems given the volatility of the Niger delta and seasonal variations in the water level of the River Niger or the plethora of snakes which often block our turbines as we are often told.

ummmm
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by MsTom(f): 2:57pm On Mar 24, 2010
Am I the only one here saying and shouting at the roof top "NO THANK YOU!!!"
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by montelik(m): 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2010
For what? We have yet to fully develop and use our coal, oil and natural gas deposits. Not to mention the other opportunities such as wind, solar and Geothermal e.t.c. Let us the develop the cheaper and more readily available/sustainable sources first and foremost, before dabbling into nuclear energy.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by debosky(m): 3:33pm On Mar 24, 2010
montelik:

For what? We have yet to fully develop and use our coal, oil and natural gas deposits. Not to mention the other opportunities such as wind, solar and Geothermal e.t.c. Let us the develop the cheaper and more readily available/sustainable sources first and foremost, before dabbling into nuclear energy.

Uranium is 'readily available' from Niger.

webgenius:

That is a good idea. The only snag I'd foresee is water supply - reactors need water to generate steam to power their turbines. But locating the facility in sparsely populated areas will definitely make the most sense.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by asha80(m): 3:41pm On Mar 24, 2010
Who will save Enugu coal mines?
•Abandoned for 18 years, hope dims for Onyeama mines, but
demand for coal keeps rising
By PETRUS OBI, Enugu
Wednesday, March 24, 2010

• Onyema mine,  a ghost of its former self
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
Onyeama mines used to be one of the underground mines operated by the Nigerian Coal Corporation from inception. It was producing coal which was assembled alongside the coal from Okpara Mines and ferried by overhead cables known as the area rope way; they are ferried to the Oji power plant, 40 kilometres away to power plant. The place was active until 1992. Then it was aba.

The problem of the Onyema Mines which today is a complete ghost of its former self could be traced to the beginning of the Civil War when coal exploitation stopped. Acting Managing Director of the Enugu Coal Corporation Chief Denis Okafor explained that in underground coal mining, “as you are digging out the coal water is sipping in from the roof. So you are constantly pumping out water, evacuating the mine; once the pump stops you start having what we call flooding and in the flooding you are also having silting-that is sediments are being deposited; eventually for three years, during the war which Onyeama didn’t function, the mine became silted up and efforts have been made since the end of the war to bring it back to its former shape; of course you know, once it spoils it’s difficult to go back to what it used to be.

We have tried a number of projects on it and it didn’t quite work. However there were good intentions to use other methods to resume coal production but of-course you now know that the Federal Government has a new policy of privatization.”

“And the way it affects the coal industry is that all the areas Coal Corporation used to operate are put into blocks and they are to be advertised for the private sector to come in. The idea is that government wants to pull out having realized that it has not been a good business man, and now wants to push in the private people and stay at the background to monitor what they are doing. So there is this privatization process which started around the year 2000, but has not been as fast as expected because it’s not everybody’s business; coal exploration is not everybody’s market so you don’t expect too many players.

The first bidding exercise was done in 2007 and those blocks, Onyeama and Okpara mines out of the other 10 blocks were won by Global Infrastructure, the same company that operated the Ajaokuta Steel Company; they won the Okpara and Onyeama blocks. Of course you know their problems, you know their history; the idea was to use the coal from here to service Ajaokuta Steel instead of importation. But since they couldn’t continue in Ajaokuta, they couldn’t even pay the first 10%, that’s why everything seems to have slowed down. When they couldn’t pay up, their winning were revoked; that’s why for now, Onyeama and Okpara mines are still open for another round of bidding. “Out of the 10, only three of the blocks were completely paid for; and those were the ones we have in Kogi state; three blocks there have been fully paid for; but the remaining seven are to be re-packaged for another round of bidding.

Only private enterprise can revive coal mining
Sitting in what appears a make-shift office in the isolated and dilapidating Coal Corporation Office along Okpara Avenue Enugu that afternoon, the acting MD of the corporation fully expressed his support for the privatization of the coal mining business since government has failed.
Said he; “You know that anything underground is the property of the federal government of Nigeria; the federal government decides on who takes what. Actually in the privatization exercise, the thinking was that government has tried and they should give way for the private people; and you will agree with me that if Onyeama mine is owned by an individual it cannot be the way it is now.

There is also the dirty aspect of it, the attitude of the people; you can see what Onyeama looks like now, everything is being looted and vandalized. We have a police investigation going on there people are even trying now to move in there with bulldozers to cart away things; this is our attitude. This is opposite of what we have in Kogi; all the equipment we packed there like we had in Onyeama are intact. The natives also mobilized their own vigilante to back-up the few security men we left to watch over the equipment, because they know that one day it will be used to develop their place but our own here is open to looting and vandalization. We have informed the security agents and they have been doing their own bit to check this spate of looting and vandalization; but you can see what is going on.

Workers were first victims
“At the onset of privatization the first victim was the worker because if I were given Onyeama Mine to operate, maybe government was maintaining about 2000 or 1000 people there, doing all kinds of things, you know how government agencies operate; the private man may say instead of five people here I can have one person. So at the onset of privatization, the idea was that government is pulling out, so everybody needs to go; when the new investor comes he will source workers from amongst you but he will only take those he needs. So there was this retrenching of workers and to some extent they were paid their entitlements.

He recalled what the then Minister told the workers during her visit; ‘because you people are not functioning, government could no longer raise money to pay your salaries.’ As at that August 2005 they were being owed 39 months arrears of salary. She promised to go and source money and make sure those 39 months are cleared. So, that initial 39 months was cleared and then the severance package also paid. But you know there will always be some Omissions, problems, this and that, pensions, all those are being addressed by government for now.”
Future of coal mining in Nigeria

Nigeria coal is in very high demand; on daily basis here you have people making enquiries on the Nigeria coal; can you supply us, can you…but we keep telling them there is no supply for now. Everybody should slow down until government comes out with the new package of how to exploit these coal resources. First of all, the present government insists that Nigeria coal will first of all serve for power generation before any other thing; not export; of-course even if you talk of export, the facilities are not there yet. So a lot of work must be done before you can talk about export; but local need, power generation is the word and this is what everybody is looking at. If all the blocks are given out and all each block starts generating power there will be a lot of improvement in power supply in the country. So we know coal eventually will come back; there is no problem, its underground, the more it stays the more it matures.”

Chief Denis Okafor concurred that the vandalization at the Onyeama mines is a bad signal to investors. He however noted that whoever is coming there is coming with a new technology; “it’s no longer the ancient technology we used in our time. So things may definitely have to change; the structures may change and it’s going to be a new thing completely.”

No fear of Earthquake
He further dismissed fears that the underground mining may lead to some natural disasters such as earthquake. “People are talking about earthquake, this and that; these are not the things that cause earthquake; earthquakes are caused by underground seafloor movement, it is not mining; it has never happened anywhere. So we have no problem with the site; it’s just that our attitude to government property has to change and then the privatization exercise has to continue and get to an end so that if the private sector takes over, instead on one Coal Corporation you will have ten coal corporations competing.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/mar/24/national-24-03-2010-29.htm

Why can't we make use of the coal we have before venturing into nuclear

Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Kx: 3:45pm On Mar 24, 2010
Government officials are encouraging it because of the
huge dollar kickbacks and funds embezzlement that will go with it.
However,if they pull it through,we should be ready to add it to the long list below:

NITEL
NEPA
NIPOST
AJEOKUTA STEEL COMPLEX
NIGERIA RAILWAY
NIGERIA SAT
NFA
ETC
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by otawa: 4:37pm On Mar 24, 2010
Uranium is 'readily available' from Niger.

and you think French government would allow you tap into this?

cant we just try to make 'table spoon' first before jumping to NUCLEAR plant?

Work on what will become the world's second largest uranium mine has begun in the west African state of Niger.

After it opens in three years' time the $1.5bn (£1bn) mine is expected to yield 5,000 tonnes of uranium per year.

French nuclear energy company Areva is building the mine and will take a majority share in it.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by Echidime(m): 5:00pm On Mar 24, 2010
Where will it be built? Abuja? Lagos? Enugu? Kano? Port harcourt? Warri? Owerri? or will it be built under the sea?

This will course another tribal war or religious war,as each will want it built in their state or country so they can use it against the other. This is truth, nigeria should think deeply about this.

America should go and help Iran thats needs nuclear weapon,and leave us alone. Or is it today americans know that Nigeria has no electricity? This people are upto something in this nation called Nigeria.
Re: US To Assist Nigeria On Nuclear Power by diehard1: 5:15pm On Mar 24, 2010
No wahala, just tell me the when implementation will start so that i will run away as far as possible from Naija. Dat na national suicide. We should not think of anything nuclear

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN: What You Don't Know About The New Naira. / 7 Best Courier Companies In Nigeria / Enugu Commences Mass Production Of Rice And Pepper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.