Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,830 members, 7,806,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? (9586 Views)

After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School / 7 Side Hustling You Can Do As A Salary Earner / What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by nairametrics: 9:21am On Nov 18, 2017
This ranks as one of the most asked questions in a working environment. A lot of people feel like they deserve a raise but think it might be inappropriate to talk to their boss about it preferring to play safe by keeping quiet. When you got the job, they probably promised that with time they’d increase your pay but that time hasn’t come and you feel like you may get grey hairs before it actually does.

You are right to wait for the appropriate time to ask for a raise. Asking at the wrong time could absolutely ruin things for you. Waiting for the appropriate time and having the right negotiation skills will give you the best results in the soonest time. Such appropriate times to talk about a salary raise include;

You got a job offer; the point when you just got offered the job might be the best time to negotiate a higher pay. Don’t settle for just anything. You do have the right to negotiate. be smart about negotiations though, to avoid sending the wrong message
You’re getting promoted; so you’re being promoted. Seize that opportunity to talk about a raise. The new position might come with a different pay grade but it doesn’t mean it’s not open for negotiations
You just hit a big deal; you just closed a big deal or finished major project and your boss is feeling excited and in a ‘I’ll reward you’ mood. This is your big window of opportunity to strike. Ask for a raise before the excitement of your big win wears off.
You got assigned more responsibilities; this might sound like a promotion but it isn’t really. You were probably given more tasks because of your success track in that area. Whatever the case, more responsibility is good grounds for a raise so ask for it.
More important than asking for a raise at an appropriate time, is negotiating the right way. Keep this in mind when you’re negotiating;

Be prepared for the negotiation with reasonable figures in mind
When naming a figure, leave wiggle room. Don’t ask for N10, 000 when you need that exact amount instead ask for N15, 000 so if its cut to N10, 000, it’s still a win for you.
They already know but might still ask why you think you deserve a raise. Answer this question in a way that highlights your responsibilities and accomplishments.
Prepare to be turned down. when you’re prepared to be turned down, it won’t be as daunting if for any reason you actually get turned down.
If the response however is along the lines of ‘I’ll see what I can do’ ask when you should expect a response.
Always ask for the next step
Do you think you deserve a raise? Well, check and see that the time is right before you bring it up and when you do, use these tips while negotiating. If you feel like you’re being underpaid and the company is unwilling to do anything about it, it might be time for a new job.

Source: https://nairametrics.com/appropriate-ask-salary-raise/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Samueldodo781(m): 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2018
don't need salary increase. Only need my daily income increase . #Team entrepreneur. Who salary help.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2018
You nailed it op.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by lekanation(m): 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2018
your boss knows what is right... ask at your own peril...

2 Likes

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by millionboi2: 7:31pm On Jan 01, 2018
You are like a slave,
Even when u want to say no u will say yes.

For me

2 Likes

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by wwwtortoise(m): 7:31pm On Jan 01, 2018
When you are prepared to be fired

2 Likes

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by EmekaBlue(m): 7:31pm On Jan 01, 2018
Manage what u r getting now bcoz Nigeria is such in a bad state that you can be replaced immediately if u disturb with salary increment

1 Like

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Austema(m): 7:31pm On Jan 01, 2018
As soon as you are not statisfied with your current pay
#Ask-and-it-shall-be-given-to-you
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by hemartins(m): 7:31pm On Jan 01, 2018
You should ask for a pay raise
~ if you contribute more to the company's success.
~ if others are getting a pay raise and you are not.
~ if you get another offer that's ready to pay you more.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by superior1: 7:31pm On Jan 01, 2018
When you are offered a job elsewhere with a better pay, take the offer letter to your current employer and ask them to meet up

5 Likes

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by jahmeyou(m): 7:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
Don't ask for salary rise in Kogi state. if not hmmmm�
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Lummy20(m): 7:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
space booked
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by MhizzAJ(f): 7:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
Some employers are just very wicked especially in this country

1 Like

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Laitesmart(m): 7:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
when you are f*cking the boss!
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Krafty006: 7:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
Why earn salaries,when you can pay salaries.....change your mentality, time waits for no one. https://www.nairaland.com/4209666/skill-acquisition-programme-self-empowerment

1 Like

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by PDPGuy: 7:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
I'd say after two years of working for a company. You'd also need to have a stellar evaluation by your supervisor or manager before asking for a raise.
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Exponental(m): 7:34pm On Jan 01, 2018
Know what operates, the financial situation and progress first. Pay rise should be linked to advancement/ promotions.
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by charliepresh(m): 7:34pm On Jan 01, 2018
Note
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Samueldodo781(m): 7:36pm On Jan 01, 2018
My handwork my pride

2 Likes

Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by loomer: 7:38pm On Jan 01, 2018
When ever your salary no reach you again
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Benyork4(m): 7:38pm On Jan 01, 2018
are you for real.. email me at akintoyebenjamin@gmail.com
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Goldenheart(m): 7:39pm On Jan 01, 2018
cool Any time it itches
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Benjom(m): 7:41pm On Jan 01, 2018
Good piece
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 01, 2018
The 'appropriate' time..

P.S: 'Appropriate' is relative...depending on your kind of job and how much the firm/company you work for earns
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Fynestboi: 7:44pm On Jan 01, 2018
Here to learn smiley
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by mikejj(m): 8:06pm On Jan 01, 2018
when you discover your company profit has increased and your duties are increased.pls ask in a polite way bcuz a nigerian boss might fire you.
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by mikejj(m): 8:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
Samueldodo781:
don't need salary increase. Only need my daily income increase . #Team entrepreneur. Who salary help.
boss show me the way am looking for a business to invest my little savings this year pls.
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Bewiseedet(m): 8:37pm On Jan 01, 2018
Today is 1st january 2018. My salary of may 2017 is yet to be paid. I have asked several and all I get is 'we are working on it'
my next step will be violent
Re: When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 01, 2018
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Workers' Day:share Your Hustling Experiences And Your Present Job. / What Are The Benefit Of ITIL Certification In Nigeria / What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.