Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Computer Science VS Computer Engineering - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computer Science VS Computer Engineering (668 Views)

Is Computer Engineering Hard To Study / Pure Science Vs Technological Science, Which One Gives More Money? / PC AID COMPUTER ENGINEERING - Live In Ibadan! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by chidexholla(m): 10:33am On Nov 18, 2017
Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering: What’s the Difference?
A question I have gotten a lot lately has to do with the differences and similarities between Computer Science and Computer Engineering. At the risk of over-simplifying the differences, I have written this guide to explain how Computer Science and Computer Engineering are alike and how they differ.
What Is Computer Engineering?
Computer Engineering is the marriage of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. It focuses on computing in all forms, from microprocessors to embedded computing devices to laptop and desktop systems to supercomputers. As such, it concerns the electrical engineering considerations of how microprocessors function, are designed, and are optimized; how data is communicated among electronic components; how integrated systems of electronic components are designed and how they operate to process instructions expressed in software; and how software is written, compiled, and optimized for specific hardware platforms. Therefore, computer engineers are electrical engineers who specialize in software design, hardware design, or systems design that integrates both.
What is Computer Science?
Computer Science is the study of how data and instructions are processed, stored, communicated by computing devices. A modern descendant of Applied Mathematics and Electrical Engineering, Computer Science deals with algorithms for processing data, the symbolic representation of data and instructions, the design of instruction languages for processing data, techniques for writing software that process data on a variety of computing platforms, protocols for communicating data reliably and securely across networks, the organization of data in databases of various types and scales, the emulation of human intelligence and learning through computer algorithms, statistical modeling of data in large databases to support inference of trends, and techniques for protecting the content and authenticity of data. Therefore, computer scientists are scientists and mathematicians who develop ways to process, interpret, store, communicate, and secure data.
Overlap Between the Areas
Because both Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists ultimately work with data and attempt ultimately to harness meaning from it, there is significant overlap in coursework that students in the two fields take, as well as in the careers they pursue. This does not minimize the distinctive nature of the two disciplines. It simply acknowledges the fact that these types of computer professionals find context and purpose in similar kinds of projects or in different aspects of the same kinds of projects.
A Potentially Oversimplifying but Useful Distinction
Both Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists advance computing technology and solve problems using computing technology. If we consider computing technology in terms of scale, Computer Engineers operate often at the microscopic and macroscopic ends of the spectrum, whereas Computer Scientists work in the middle parts of the spectrum. More specifically, Computer Engineers deal with the physics of semiconductor electronics so that they may design hardware from the integrated circuit level (small), as well as with the integration of hardware and software optimized to run on it to realize complete, special-purpose computing systems (large). Computer Scientists write the software, design the databases, devise the algorithms, format the communications, and secure the data that are processed by the hardware to make the integrated system function.
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by rottennaija(m): 10:42am On Nov 18, 2017
chidexholla:

Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering: What’s the Difference?

A question I have gotten a lot lately has to do with the differences and similarities between Computer Science and Computer Engineering. At the risk of over-simplifying the differences, I have written this guide to explain how Computer Science and Computer Engineering are alike and how they differ.

What Is Computer Engineering?

Computer Engineering is the marriage of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. It focuses on computing in all forms, from microprocessors to embedded computing devices to laptop and desktop systems to supercomputers. As such, it concerns the electrical engineering considerations of how microprocessors function, are designed, and are optimized; how data is communicated among electronic components; how integrated systems of electronic components are designed and how they operate to process instructions expressed in software; and how software is written, compiled, and optimized for specific hardware platforms. Therefore, computer engineers are electrical engineers who specialize in software design, hardware design, or systems design that integrates both.

What is Computer Science?

Computer Science is the study of how data and instructions are processed, stored, communicated by computing devices. A modern descendant of Applied Mathematics and Electrical Engineering, Computer Science deals with algorithms for processing data, the symbolic representation of data and instructions, the design of instruction languages for processing data, techniques for writing software that process data on a variety of computing platforms, protocols for communicating data reliably and securely across networks, the organization of data in databases of various types and scales, the emulation of human intelligence and learning through computer algorithms, statistical modeling of data in large databases to support inference of trends, and techniques for protecting the content and authenticity of data. Therefore, computer scientists are scientists and mathematicians who develop ways to process, interpret, store, communicate, and secure data.
Overlap Between the Areas.

Because both Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists ultimately work with data and attempt ultimately to harness meaning from it, there is significant overlap in coursework that students in the two fields take, as well as in the careers they pursue. This does not minimize the distinctive nature of the two disciplines. It simply acknowledges the fact that these types of computer professionals find context and purpose in similar kinds of projects or in different aspects of the same kinds of projects.

A Potentially Oversimplifying but Useful Distinction
Both Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists advance computing technology and solve problems using computing technology. If we consider computing technology in terms of scale, Computer Engineers operate often at the microscopic and macroscopic ends of the spectrum, whereas Computer Scientists work in the middle parts of the spectrum. More specifically, Computer Engineers deal with the physics of semiconductor electronics so that they may design hardware from the integrated circuit level (small), as well as with the integration of hardware and software optimized to run on it to realize complete, special-purpose computing systems (large). Computer Scientists write the software, design the databases, devise the algorithms, format the communications, and secure the data that are processed by the hardware to make the integrated system function.

Just arranging it for you
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by chidexholla(m): 10:47am On Nov 18, 2017
rottennaija:

And who asked you
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by chidexholla(m): 10:49am On Nov 18, 2017
[color=#990000][/color]Summary...
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by chidexholla(m): 10:50am On Nov 18, 2017
To learn more on computer science & engineering, contact me on my hotline 09038240705 or drop your number or email address, Mine is chimichael40@gmail.com

I am yet to enter university but I have gone for 2 years training each and am doing good (...Not that good though)

It's for free!
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by chidexholla(m): 10:52am On Nov 18, 2017
wink cheesy You can also chat me on whatsapp
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by chidexholla(m): 11:15am On Nov 18, 2017
rottennaija:

lipsrsealed chai
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by rottennaija(m): 12:13pm On Nov 18, 2017
chidexholla:
And who asked you

Don't tell me it's not presentable to read and you don't like it
Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering by chidexholla(m): 12:37pm On Nov 18, 2017
undecided
rottennaija:

Don't tell me it's not presentable to read and you don't like it
kiss OK thanks

(1) (Reply)

My Autocad Designs - Guess What I Am Designing Right Now / Brand New Apple Homepod For Sale, Apple users come in here now!! / How To Use Single Name On Facebook - S Naziru Ahmad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.