Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe (3344 Views)

Jesus Never Wore Robe: A Preaching Against Men Who Wear Women's Clothing / Bishop Oyedepo: 'If You Don't Pay Tithe, You Are Permanently A Beggar' / Counter Thread To What Muslims Believe Concerning Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:11am On Nov 19, 2017
I saw a thread early today titled "Jesus supported tithing"

I will like to analyse the portion quoted denotatively and connotatively.
Here are the only words of Christ abt tithe: Matthew 23:23 KJV
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Firstly, was he referring to Christians or the apostles? No, but the scribe, Pharisees and the hypocrites which I beliv we are not among.

Secondly, why did he cursed them? Bcus they left they weightier part of the law and concentrated on the lesser ones which tithe is among. (same situation is seen in modern Christianity where they read malachi 3:10 nearly every sunday rather than, James 1:27 that defined perfect and undefiled religion).

Thirdly, he told them what they ought to have concentrated on. In syntax, a term is called emphasis. It is used wen u really mean somtin and u achieve it by topicalizing the part u wants to emphasize. Jesus carefully spelt out wht he wanted the scribes to concentrate on which are: mercy, judgement and faith.

Another point here is that he encouraged them not to leave others undone. "Others" here means other parts of the law. There are 613 mosiac laws in which tithe was among. do they emphasize the remaining ones like they do to tithing??

Another point is that levites are entitled to tithe. see it here Numbers 18:24-26 KJV
But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the Lord , I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance. [25] And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, [26] Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the Lord , even a tenth part of the tithe.

i want to tell u that if u study the book of numbers and that of Deuteronomy to find out the qualification of a levite, u will knw that no pastor equates a levite.

Besides, tithe is not meant for levite alone according to its law. Tithe is to be brought every 3 years which is the year of tithing and is to be shared among 4 set of pple which are: strangers, widow, fatherless and levites. Has ur pastor preached this to u ??

Conclusively, we are followers of Christ which means we don't practice Judaism. Christ never preached paid or received tithe. Same thing with the apostles. They only encouraged offerings which are used to take care of those in need. I believe, Christ is the author and finisher of our faith and we all want to be like him.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 10:18am On Nov 19, 2017
Tithe is annual. But third year is not taken to the temple. That is that shared so.

The annual is in Deuteronomy 14:22 to the end
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by victoronyekwelu(m): 10:21am On Nov 19, 2017
Thund fire you am coming back with prove
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:23am On Nov 19, 2017
victoronyekwelu:
Thund fire you am coming back with prove

back to sender, pls behave maturely.

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by victoronyekwelu(m): 10:24am On Nov 19, 2017
lonikit:

back to sender, pls behave maturely.
you are not behaving matured cause you are changing the word of Your creator
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:25am On Nov 19, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:
Tithe is annual. But third year is not taken to the temple. That is that shared so.

The annual is in Deuteronomy 14:22 to the end

sir, I tink that portion is ambiguous. to me, it means the trees that bear fruit yearly not the act of tithing yearly.

I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:26am On Nov 19, 2017
victoronyekwelu:

how
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:27am On Nov 19, 2017
victoronyekwelu:

how, did Christ or any apostle pay, receive or preach tithing

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by 2SWT(f): 10:27am On Nov 19, 2017
If you don't want to pay your tithes just keep quiet and allow others to pay. You can't force your beliefs on others

It's funny how some of you deceive yourselves by saying you'd rather give to the poor than to the kingdom of God but when you see the poor you close your eyes and when you see people raising funds online you quickly scroll past

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 10:27am On Nov 19, 2017
lonikit:

sir, I tink that portion is ambiguous. to me, it means the trees that bear fruit yearly not the act of tithing yearly.

I stand to be corrected though.
Farmers of crops and cattle are involved to bring the tenth of the increase of their produce annually.... Not pay!
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 10:28am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:
If you don't want to pay your tithes just STFU
Open where the bible used the word pay for tithes and I will shut up!

Note the words of the Bible are carefully selected.
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by victoronyekwelu(m): 10:36am On Nov 19, 2017
lonikit:

how, did Christ or any apostle pay, receive or preach tithing
bro Jesus advice we Christians to pay thite just trying to get the varse and also it was adviced in the old testament I really don't know why tithing always bring argument
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 10:38am On Nov 19, 2017
victoronyekwelu:
bro Jesus advice we Christians to pay thite just trying to get the varse and also it was adviced in the old testament I really don't know why tithing always bring argument
Nowhere is the word pay and tithe used in the new testament....for Christians

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:39am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:
If you don't want to pay your tithes just keep quiet and allow others to pay. You can't force your beliefs on others

It's funny how some of you deceive yourselves by saying you'd rather give to the poor than to the kingdom of God but when you see the poor you close your eyes and when you see people raising funds online you quickly scroll past

u are one of those that believe ur pastor more than Jesus Christ who is ur saviour. and tomoro u will say u want to be like Christ. Africans are gullible web it comes to religion.

what Christ never preached or did should not be encouraged if truely we are his followers.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by 2SWT(f): 10:40am On Nov 19, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

Open where the bible used the word pay for tithes and I will shut up!

Not the words of the Bible are carefully selected.

I'm not one to start quoting Bible pages up and down for someone who's mind is already made up besides I believe you're an adult so you're free to decide if you want to pay or not afterall its your money.
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:40am On Nov 19, 2017
victoronyekwelu:

patiently, waiting for u sir.
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by victoronyekwelu(m): 10:40am On Nov 19, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

Nowhere is the word pay and tithe used in the new testament....for Christians
guy calm down am coming
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by 2SWT(f): 10:43am On Nov 19, 2017
lonikit:

u are one of those that believe ur pastor more than Jesus Christ who is ur saviour. and tomoro u will say u want to be like Christ. Africans are gullible web it comes to religion.

what Christ never preached or did should not be encouraged if truely we are his followers.
Oga its my money and I am very free to give to the kingdom of God and to the needy.

Abi does paying tithes stop you from helping the poor?
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:43am On Nov 19, 2017
victoronyekwelu:
guy calm down am coming
alryt sir. we are waiting. but its obvious u can't find it.
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 10:48am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:

Oga its my money and I am very free to give to the kingdom of God and to the needy.

Abi does paying tithes stop you from helping the poor?

no body is saying u can't use ur money the way u like. we are just showcasing wht the bible says abt tithing. besides, offering and tithe are two diff tinx.

pls dont be offended sis.

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by victoronyekwelu(m): 10:50am On Nov 19, 2017
lonikit:

alryt sir. we are waiting. but its obvious u can't find it.
I swear fa
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by 2SWT(f): 10:58am On Nov 19, 2017
lonikit:

no body is saying u can't use ur money the way u like. we are just showcasing wht the bible says abt tithing besides, offering and tithe are two diff tinx.

pls dont be offended sis.

I totally understand but would you want to deny that the reason you're doing this is to convince people to stop tithing?
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 11:01am On Nov 19, 2017
victoronyekwelu:
I swear fa

lolzzz. the only place Christ spoke mention it is in matt.23:23 which we have analyze based on our own knowledge of the word. Christ never preached or received tithe, same with the apostles.

this is wht James defined to be perfect religion
James 1:27 KJV
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 11:04am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:

I'm not one to start quoting Bible pages up and down for someone who's mind is already made up besides I believe you're an adult so you're free to decide if you want to pay or not afterall its your money.
I will curse you from inside the Holy Bible if you ever pervert the words written in the Bible henceforth and you dare mention my moniker in such perverse discussion.
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 11:11am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:

I totally understand but would you want to deny that the reason you're doing this is to convince people to stop tithing?
Unfortunately for you... I believe in tithing but not as it is currently practiced. The first Christians practiced free will sacrificial giving... Not tithing. The veil of your temple has been torn hence no need for the high priest anymore... Christ is the only high priest needed. Thus levites are no longer in existence... Because most claiming to be levites own enormous amounts of properties which negates the Bible. Remembering the story of the rich man whom Christ told to sell his riches..

My question to you is how do these new order levites acquire enormous amounts of property and still see the poor among the congregation who are struggling to pay tuition, rent, medical expenses and so on and so forth!

3 Likes

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by Byko899(m): 11:11am On Nov 19, 2017
I have never giving tithe to any body and I can never do that, if Christ and the early church did not demand for tithe, then the early missionary society members will be in the same place with me because we have one thing in common, we never paid tithe thank you

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by lonikit: 11:13am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:

my sis, it all depend on ur understanding of the post. I only clarified tithing based on wht somebody posted earlier today that Jesus supported it by doin the analysis of the portion he quoted.

the fact is dat Jesus never paid or preached it. he instructed his disciples when he was leaving the world that they shud go into the world and do two tinx: preach and baptize those that believe. tithing was nt there.

do u know wht zacchaeus said bfr he pronounced salvation upon him
check it out pls

dont be decieved, no pastor is qualify to receive tithe based on the law of levite. offering is highly acceptable based on the teaching of Christ and the apostles.

my pple perished for lack of knowledge not for the lack of Holiness.
it is time to preach against the selective teaching of the word

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by Byko899(m): 11:14am On Nov 19, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

I will curse you from inside the Holy Bible if you ever pervert the words written in the Bible henceforth and you dare mention my moniker in such perverse discussion.
stupid man, you think you know Bible talk more of causing with it, is only a stupid person that pays tithe, anyone that recived tithe to buy private jet is surely going to hell

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 11:16am On Nov 19, 2017
Byko899:
stupid man, you think you know Bible talk more of causing with it, is only a stupid person that pays tithe, anyone that recived tithe to buy private jet is surely going to hell

Jesus Christ said you are in danger of hell fire as you are.... For your choice of first two words. Shalom.

1 Share

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by 2SWT(f): 11:20am On Nov 19, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

Unfortunately for you... I believe in tithing but not as it is currently practiced. The first Christians practiced free will sacrificial giving... Not tithing. The veil of your temple has been torn hence no need for the high priest anymore... Christ is the only high priest needed. Thus levites are no longer in existence... Because most claiming to be levites own enormous amounts of properties which negates the Bible. Remembering the story of the rich man whom Christ told to sell his riches..

My question to you is how do these new order levites acquire enormous amounts of property and still see the poor among the congregation who are struggling to pay tuition, rent, medical expenses and so on and so forth!
I'd answer your question but I just need you to answer this

What does the word"tithing " mean to you?
Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by SmartchoiceNGR: 11:21am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:

Read Deuteronomy 14:22 to the end.

1 Like

Re: Counter Thread: Jesus Never Supported Christians To Pay Tithe by Byko899(m): 11:22am On Nov 19, 2017
2SWT:

it simply means giving to God the tenth of what he has blessed you with

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Shunned By Jehovah Witnesses Kills Self, Family / Tyler Perry Lays Hands On Bishop T.D. Jakes, Donates $1 Million To Youth Center / Born Again Christian Don't Wear Trouser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.