Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers (22650 Views)

Police Officers And Soldiers Clashed At INEC Office In Rivers / United States Reacts To Clash Between Shiite Members And Soldiers In Abuja. / Reps Kick Against New Language Policy By Nigerian Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Antoeni(m): 8:59am On Nov 22, 2017
1. The Nigerian Army has introduced a new Language Policy. The study of foreign and local languages is world-wide practice among armies, in which officers and soldiers are encouraged to be multi-lingual. The Policy will foster espirit-de-corps and better communication with the populace to enhance information gathering, civil-military relations, increase understanding between militaries when operating abroad and assist officers and soldiers to perform their duties professionally.

2. It is to be noted that English remains the official language in the Nigerian Army. Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa languages could be used during Civil Military Cooperation (CIMIC) activities or interrogation. Therefore all Nigerian Army personnel have been given one year to learn the three major Nigerian languages. Invariably, by December 2018, all Nigerian Army personnel are expected to learn the three major Nigerian languages. The standard of proficiency to be attained is the basic level. Certificated proficiency level will attract Language Allowance.

3. The ability to speak the 3 major Nigerian languages will be an added advantage to those applying for recruitment or commissioning into the Nigerian Army. Therefore, prospective candidates are encouraged to learnNigerian languages other than their mother tongues.

4. Before now, the Nigerian Army officially encouraged the learning of French, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese and Swahili. French language is an assessed subject in some career courses and examinations for Nigerian Army personnel.

Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman
Director Army Public Relations

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by three: 9:01am On Nov 22, 2017
Really?

The Nigerian army and police (other paramilitary organs inclusive) have always exhibited a level of detribalisation due to repeated postings outside states of origin.

This is a good thing.

However, the ability to speak a second language within the rank and file (and officer class) appears skewed historically to one major language.

This policy if implemented effectively and sincerely should balance this.

One Nigeria please, no faffing around and politicising ethnicity.

We're better (and more efficient) together in a JUST & FAIR Nigeria for Everyone regardless of race, tribe or religious conviction.

20 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Blue3k(m): 9:06am On Nov 22, 2017
Link?
Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Desyner: 9:21am On Nov 22, 2017
As a corper in camp then I couldn't hear what those soldiers where saying during match practice. The practically northernize everything.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by FarahAideed: 9:35am On Nov 22, 2017
Are there only three languages in Nigeria?

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Paperwhite(m): 9:42am On Nov 22, 2017
Same army that have been using the Hausa language as it defacto means of communication? Same army that have a preferred leaning towards hausa-fulani Muslims?
The same army that is discriminating against female enlistment in the NDA because of religious sentiments? This is another useless policy by the Nigerian Army.

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 9:42am On Nov 22, 2017
Language Allowance.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 9:44am On Nov 22, 2017
Desyner:
As a corper in camp then I couldn't hear what those soldiers where saying during match practice. The practically northernize everything.
As a graduate(?), you should know it is "understand", not "hear". Which school did you attend? S/Eastern school, I guess.
Again, which match una dey practise for? Na "drill" be the name? Anyway, there is a difference between "march" and "match", find out. Dis one sef go don teach for school. I just taya for these our so-called graduates. undecided

122 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 22, 2017
Nothing in Nigeria makes sense

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by FarahAideed: 9:51am On Nov 22, 2017
Another tribalist policy from a tribal centric govt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by CharleyBright(m): 10:08am On Nov 22, 2017
My Goodness! They have come again with their agenda.

Which Tribe / Region dominates the Military?? Answer: Northern Hausa.
Aside from English, which language is dominant in the Military?? Answer: Hausa Language
Prescribing Arabic, Hausa, French for additional language for the Military and paying Language allowance for same tantamount to paying the Northern officers for a language they already know., while forcing other tribes to learn and adopt either Hausa or Arabic language cos surely and certainly the authorities will find a way to ensure Hausa and Arabic are the options available. Afterf all, isn't it " Obey the Last Command"? Will the officers question the authorities?
Soon enough, they will turn and make Hausa and Arabic language a prerequisite for entry into Nigerian military..
The North always have a subtle way of projecting their northern interest.
The North should leave our Military alone and stop tinkering with the Military policies to their advantage.
Tell the Military authorities to make Degree the Minimum entry into the Military to ensure Professionalism and Effiency, they will NEVER accept it because the North will lose out as most candidates from the North has SSCE or primary sch cert which they usually use as entry into the Military.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Desyner: 10:08am On Nov 22, 2017
python1:

As a graduate(?), you should know it is "understand", not "hear". Which school did you attend? S/Eastern school, I guess.
Again, which match una dey practise for? Na "drill" be the name? Anyway, there is a difference between "march" and "match", find out. I just taya for these our so-called graduates. undecided
Okay I lost my train of thought and what does that change about the fact that that you had to alternate between 'proper' and pidgin English to pass your message?

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Desyner: 10:12am On Nov 22, 2017
python1:

As a graduate(?), you should know it is "understand", not "hear".
I thought hearing preceeds undestanding. Sorry prof. Btw, I attended school of hard knocks.

21 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 10:12am On Nov 22, 2017
Desyner:
Okay I lost my train of thought and what does that change about the fact that that you had to alternate between 'proper' and pidgin English to pass your message?
Choi, which one be proper English again? Mr "graduate", it is either English language or Pidgin, nothing like proper English. grin Proper English ko improper pidgin ni. grin

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Me77: 10:13am On Nov 22, 2017
Misplaced priority. They should be mandated to learn common communication with simple English first, most of these army personnel cannot comprehend common English. The only language they understand is FIRE . That's how they go about shooting at innocent civilians.
May God help us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 10:14am On Nov 22, 2017
python1:

Again, which match una dey practise for? Na "drill" be the name? Anyway, there is a difference between "march" and "match", find out. Dis one sef go don teach for school. I just taya for these our so-called graduates. undecided
Send me your cv lemme fix you up omenka can only get you job in Kogi state civil service, they don't pay salary there at all. I will fix you with edo state civil service

19 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 10:16am On Nov 22, 2017
Desyner:
I thought hearing preceeds undestanding. Sorry prof. Btw, I attended school of hard knocks.
Okay, you no dey hear dem but you dey understand dem? But wetin bring am for inside language matter? Or do you northernize audibility?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Desyner: 10:19am On Nov 22, 2017
python1:

Okay, you no dey hear dem but you dey understand dem? But wetin bring am for inside language matter? Or do you northernize audibility?
The main problem I have with people like you is that you guys have next to nothing to contribute. Just empty words.

53 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 10:21am On Nov 22, 2017
Desyner:
The main problem I have with people like you is that you guys have next to nothing to contribute. Just empty words.
You mean the type of contributions by a graduate who doesn't know the difference between "hear" and "understand"? grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 10:24am On Nov 22, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:

Send me your cv lemme fix you up omenka can only get you job in Kogi state civil service, they don't pay salary there at all. I will fix you with edo state civil service
Tell cownu to increase the salaries of the BSS from 10k to a living wage first.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Desyner: 10:25am On Nov 22, 2017
python1:

You mean the type of contributions by a graduate who doesn't know the difference between "hear" and "understand"? grin
No. I mean the type of contribution from a grad who has no substance or message to pass. Just looking for typo here n there.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 10:27am On Nov 22, 2017
Desyner:
No. I mean the type of contribution from a grad who has no substance or message to pass. Just looking for typo to here n there.
Oh, I never knew of a typo that will change "understand" to "hear", pls tell me more about that typo, mr graduate. Choi, typo don suffer. grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Desyner: 10:33am On Nov 22, 2017
python1:

Oh, I never knew of a typo that will change "understand" to "hear", pls tell me more about that typo, mr graduate. Choi, typo don suffer. grin
typos like match / march otondo. How far with your mind44 invitation to act ?

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 10:40am On Nov 22, 2017
Desyner:
typos like match / march otondo. How far with your mind4 invitation to act ?
You mean "match practice" instead of "drill" was a typo? Or "understand" instead of "hear"? Mr graduate, abeg, na where you serve? I hope say no be for school sha. grin Because this one na big tsunami be dat. cheesy
Before I forget, someone don dey twist am say na football match you mean, wetin you talk about that one too? grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by BudeYahooCom: 10:45am On Nov 22, 2017
python1:

The guy must have attended osun poly like that Corper on Facebook that posted the linguistic bazooka- 'I am now a corpse, thanks u lord'. Lol

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by Antoeni(m): 10:46am On Nov 22, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:

so Edo state is now a dumping ground,Oshomolen must nt hear dis

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers by python1: 10:53am On Nov 22, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

The guy must have attended osun poly like that Corper on Facebook that posted the linguistic bazooka- 'I am now a corpse, thanks u lord'. Lol
Na lie. Na for East e go school. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FFK Hits Hard On Sheriff's Emergence As PDP Chairman Again / Idahosa: Oshiomhole Should Stop Panicking Over Probe Of N30b Storm Water Project / The Judgement Is A Complete Waste Of Time - Otti Reacts To Purported Sack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.