Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? (1163 Views)

What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? / Get any Book you want free of charge (drop requests) / What's The Best Story You've Ever Read Here On Literature Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2017
Warning: this post will be lengthy and isn't for those people who are allergic to long posts.

Okay, I normally don't pay attention to the comedy genre when I read but there was this particular day I was so bored and with nothing to do, I decided to seek companionship in the company of a good book. That was when I stumbled upon this Shakespeare novel titled Twelfth Night (or What You Will), rotting away in my library.

At first I was hesitant to read it because I usually don't favour comedies for no apparent reason but I have read all the books in my possession and when I checked the Author it was Shakespeare and, well, considering his reputation in the ministry, I was encouraged to give him a trial.

After I was done reading, I went over it again and I still intend to go a third time because the book was too good a book. So beautifully and elaborately written. I laughed out loud like a maniac all through my body started aching all over. Never have I derived maximum satisfaction from reading a book. It was a blissful experience!
In the end, I was left with an impression: that ShakeSpeare is not only a master at tragedies, he can also hold his own in the comedy genre without breaking any sweat.

Here's the plot of the story:

A pair of identical twins - a boy & a girl - are shipwrecked and thrown in different parts of the same country. The girl recovers and finds herself in strange territory and thinking her brother is dead, goes on to work for a Duke to survive in the guise of a eunuch. Meanwhile the Duke has been trying to woo a Countess who's not interested in his feelings for her. So he enlists the help of his eunuch servant to help convey his feelings and possibly win her heart.

Viola (that's the name of the duke's eunuch servant), now addressed by the name Cesario, arrives at the countess' house and attempts to do her master's bidding, but the countess falls in love with Cesario instead, unaware that cesario is actually a woman, however Cesario who's secretly in love with the Duke is horrified by this turn of events because she herself is a woman and can never be with a woman like herself. You see the irony? But more funny ironies and twists await you.

Then we go back to the other twin (by name Sebastian) who's trying to find his way in new lands and he likewise believes his other half is dead. But he gets mistaken many times by people as Cesario including one Knight who's not in good terms with Cesario because the countess chose Cesario over him. Consequently, the Knight attacks Sebastian in a fight but he suffers severe injuries in the duel.

Let me say this. Earlier the Knight had challenged Cesario to a duel but Cesario being the woman she is, got scared and backed out, leaving the knight with the impression that Cesario is a coward. Imagine his utter suprise when he gets beaten by Sebastian whom he mistook for Cesario!

Then we have the likes of Malvolio, a conceited gentleman attending on the countess, always trying to spoil the fun for everybody because he's so much of a puritan, fixed for good! There's also a court jester. Yeah?

The plot broadens and the Countess now deeply in love with Cesario mistakes Sebastian for Cesario and had a priest marry them by a stroke of accidental love. Sebastian is amazed but who can decline the affection of a beautiful lady? Lol.

We reach the climax of the story with the Duke coming to the knowledge that Cesario (his eunuch servant) got ahead of him and married the Countess, but Cesario denies the allegation, because it was in fact Sebastian, her twin bro, who was involved in the marriage.
The countess becomes speechless because she cannot bring herself to believe what she just heard.

In the midst of trying to resolve the matter, Sebastian arrives the scene and bewilders everyone as they all notice the striking similarity between Sebastian and Cesario in facial appearance, voice and outfit. Both twin also reunite.

The play ends with the characters explaining their differences and settling their disputes, with the Duke marrying Cesario who openly declares her love for him as she has now be revealed as a woman.

Now that I've shared mine with you, why don't you share yours with me?
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by xl2dpeak: 10:54pm On Nov 22, 2017
With this your summary, I don't think I need to read the material again, nice one.
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 23, 2017
xl2dpeak:
With this your summary, I don't think I need to read the material again, nice one.

Thanks. Actually, I tried to be as brief as possible but this story is complex and there was no better way I could have done it.

I'd advise you read it though. If not for anything, at least you'd get the full package and be exposed to the rich writing of shakespeare. He charms the English Language in a seductive way.
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by xl2dpeak: 11:10am On Nov 25, 2017
NameLezz:

Thanks. Actually, I tried to be as brief as possible but this story is complex and there was no better way I could have done it.

I'd advise you read it though. If not for anything, at least you'd get the full package and be exposed to the rich writing of shakespeare. He charms the English Language in a seductive way.
OK, maybe I would.. its been long I read a hard copy material, any idea how I could get it as soft copy for free
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 25, 2017
xl2dpeak:

OK, maybe I would.. its been long I read a hard copy material, any idea how I could get it as soft copy for free

Very easy. Just type "Download William Shakespeare - Twelfth Night Ebook.pdf/epub" on google and various links will come up in the search result. That's how I download ebooks from the internet.
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by aadvark: 11:37am On Nov 25, 2017
Try "The importance of being Earnest".
Have forgotten the author's name

MODIFIED: His name is Oscar Wilde
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 25, 2017
aadvark:
Try "The importance of being Earnest".
Have forgotten the author's name

MODIFIED: His name is Oscar Wilde

I keeping seeing this novel on ebook sites but I always skip it because I feel I already know what the story is about just by the title. I'll check it out now that you mention it. I hope it will be worth it.
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by aadvark: 12:32am On Nov 28, 2017
NameLezz:

I keeping seeing this novel on ebook sites but I always skip it because I feel I already know what the story is about just by the title. I'll check it out now that you mention it. I hope it will be worth it.
Lol, you think u know the story from the name? Don't worry, read it first and u will realise a new meaning to that title
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by CyberGypsy(m): 12:43am On Nov 28, 2017
aadvark:
Lol, you think u know the story from the name? Don't worry, read it first and u will realise a new meaning to that title
so this what you guys do here . ?? Enjoying each moment ... well, welcome me cause am about to be a part of you guys wink
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by aadvark: 12:52am On Nov 28, 2017
CyberGypsy:
so this what you guys do here . ?? Enjoying each moment ... well, welcome me cause am about to be a part of you guys wink
You're welcome CyberGypsy
Re: What's The Funniest Book You Have Ever Read? by CyberGypsy(m): 12:57am On Nov 28, 2017
aadvark:
You're welcome CyberGypsy
thank you my bruh

(1) (Reply)

"My Father's Will" A Story From Wurastories / If You Are A Fiction Writer That Wants To Make Money, This Is For You / Passions Of Love: A Captivating Love Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.