Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (101698 Views)

Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. / Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video / "Mother Of My Babies" In Igala Language Of Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by oyatz(m): 10:32pm On Feb 01, 2018
It appear that Igala language is a 'very special' variant of the Yoruba language, produced by exchange of vowels like the vowel 'O' in place of 'U', which itself is found in the IJESHA dialect of the Yoruba language.

Uko (Igala)=Eko(Yoruba)
OMA Uko/OMA Ukoche = Omo Eko/Omo ikose(Yoruba)= Student.

Pen= Uko Enwu (Igala)= Onko iwe(Yoruba)
Teacher=Ako one/Akuko (Igala) = Ako'ni/Oluko(Yoruba)
School/Training institution= Unyi Ukoche (Igala)= Ile ikose (Yoruba).

#Certain intonation signs have been ommited for the sake of clearity.

IgalaSchool:
Terms Associated with Teaching

Teaching - Ukọ
Student - Ọma Ukọ / Oma Ukochẹ
Book - Otakada
Teacher - Ako Ọnẹ or Akukọ
Pen - Ukọ ẹnwu
School - Unyi Ukọchẹ (Learning house)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by oyatz(m): 10:36pm On Feb 01, 2018
It appears that Igala language is a 'very special' variant of the Yoruba language, produced by exchange of vowels like the vowel 'O' in place of 'U', which itself is common in the IJESHA dialect of the Yoruba language.

Uko (Igala)=Eko(Yoruba)
OMA Uko/OMA Ukoche = Omo Eko/Omo ikose(Yoruba)= Student/apprentice.

Pen= Uko Enwu (Igala)= Onko iwe(Yoruba)
Teacher=Ako one/Akuko (Igala) = Ako'ni/Oluko(Yoruba)
School/Training institution= Unyi Ukoche (Igala)= Ile ikose (Yoruba).

#Certain intonation signs have been ommited for the sake of clearity.

IgalaSchool:
Terms Associated with Teaching

Teaching - Ukọ
Student - Ọma Ukọ / Oma Ukochẹ
Book - Otakada
Teacher - Ako Ọnẹ or Akukọ
Pen - Ukọ ẹnwu
School - Unyi Ukọchẹ (Learning house)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by oyatz(m): 10:47pm On Feb 01, 2018
Yeah, very correct.
Igala and Yoruba languages are partially mutually intelligible but this is more true for Yorubas that understand the Ife/Ijesha/Ondo,Ekiti, Akoko and Ikale or Ijebu/Awori dialects very well.
Lagos based Yoruba don't have deep understanding of the Yoruba language and may not understand.

IgalaSchool:

Yes it is Yoruboid, similarity is about let me say 65%
I once helped a Naija woman at Heathrow airport in the UK who spoke no English.

She spoke only Yoruba, but I helped her get a few things done based on the conversation I had with her.
It was hard, but conversation was achievable.

It was mostly one way though. I could understand her spoken Yoruba, but Yorubas can’t realy understand Igala beyond having a fair Idea of what is being said.

Also, Yorubas who understand their second Yoruba dialects well, understand Igala more than Yorubas who speak just plain general Yoruba

Just my opinion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by eddybrigs: 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2018
Am in dekina how do I get more I want to learn am serving there

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by scholes0(m): 8:47am On May 14, 2018

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by scholes0(m): 8:54am On May 14, 2018

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by odigbosky(m): 2:30pm On May 16, 2018
91119111c:
she forgot to write, igala are very diabolic too, infact the most diabolic in Nigeria, majority of us can't build houses in our village or go home for Christmas celebration to avoid being thrown a deadly disease called "APO" or the latest one which is "STROKE

STROKE is 5k in idah bro....

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by oyatz(m): 11:05am On May 19, 2018
Igala most likely represent the ancient version or archaic version of Yoruba which probably because of its relative isolation, didn't experience the impact of foreign languages (like Nupe, Bariba, Arabic/Hausa) which the Oyo, Ibolo and igbomina dialects experienced.

Otapipia:

40 is Ogbo Meji
100 is Ogbo Melu

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by oyatz(m): 11:09am On May 19, 2018
They sing like Cherubim and Seraphim choirs in Osun state.

scholes0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg-MqxKWhLE
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by chris10obaje(m): 7:24pm On Jun 20, 2018
Houstency:

Enegbani Jnr Mafia smiley Uwe Kpai Idadi ya?
School father! Lol walai walai just checked your username. Was wondering who knew the nickname in here
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by Houstency(m): 3:08pm On Jun 21, 2018
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by scholes0(m): 1:38am On Jun 22, 2018
Hhahahah...Igalas are "confused" I swear. grin
very interesting people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-tuFCQHwQ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by bigfrancis21: 2:44am On Jun 22, 2018
scholes0:
Hhahahah...Igalas are "confused" I swear. grin
very interesting people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-tuFCQHwQ

If I didn't know a few Igala words I would have thought they were singing in Yoruba. The language sounds Yorubaish to a listener acquainted with how Yoruba sounds until they pay attention more closely.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by scholes0(m): 3:05am On Jun 22, 2018
bigfrancis21:

If I didn't know a few Igala words I would have thought they were singing in Yoruba. The language sounds Yorubaish to a listener acquainted with how Yoruba sounds until they pay attention more closely.

Listen to te Igala take on Dim Oma. It sounds like when someone is singing an igbo tune with Yoruba ... like seriously, I am shocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux_dhyKg_Vc

Igalas are a Chapter of Yorubas that have been greatly influenced by Igbos by virtue of a shared border in the south (Southern Igalas), and by some middle belt tribes in the Northern areas (Core Igalas). My final hypothesis. like seriously I understood the song 100%

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by bigfrancis21: 5:17am On Jun 22, 2018
scholes0:

Listen to te Igala take on Dim Oma. It sounds like when someone is singing an igbo tune with Yoruba ... like seriously, I am shocked.

Igalas are a Chapter of Yorubas that have been greatly influenced by Igbos by virtue of a shared border in the south (Southern Igalas), and by some middle belt tribes in the Northern areas (Core Igalas). My final hypothesis. like seriously I understood the song 100%

I see what you mean. The introductory part before the song starts makes one think they are about to listen to an Igbo song - the cultural background bears strong resemblance to SE people but the song is in a Yoruboid language. Igala is quite a blend of 2 Nigerian cultures. You know what part of Igala this song came from?

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by Visa88: 2:08pm On Jul 14, 2018
hello everyone please I really need to learn igala. tutors available.
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by gistsky: 8:46am On Jul 25, 2018
Visa88:
hello everyone please I really need to learn igala. tutors available.
I am a professional tutor and ready for d job. How much are you ready to pay?
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:30pm On Aug 29, 2018
OP, is it true that the Igala name for elephant tusk is enyi-eri? I saw it on one Igala-language website and was wondering if it is really true. And if it is, how come Igalas don't call elephants eri, but adagba?
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by Clarachris: 11:44am On Oct 15, 2018
Hello everyone please what is mamana and iyemi in English
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by sherlock229(m): 12:45pm On Oct 15, 2018
Clarachris:
Hello everyone please what is mamana and iyemi in English

mother� I'm not igala I just guessed
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by sole26: 1:25pm On Oct 15, 2018
gistsky:

I am a professional tutor and ready for d job. How much are you ready to pay?
'I'm interested in ur service. Pls give me ur contact.
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by gistsky: 4:40pm On Oct 15, 2018
sole26:

'I'm interested in ur service. Pls give me ur contact.
Whatsapp only 08166945006
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by scholes0(m): 12:57am On Oct 17, 2018
RedboneSmith:
OP, is it true that the Igala name for elephant tusk is enyi-eri? I saw it on one Igala-language website and was wondering if it is really true. And if it is, how come Igalas don't call elephants eri, but adagba?

Dual names for same thing. One (Eri) being the actual name, the other (Adagba) being an attribute of the animal that has become more or less a name.
It is like how Yorubas call Elephant: Erin (Actual name) and Ajanaku (Oriki/Appellation).

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by Konquest: 5:45pm On Feb 11, 2019
scholes0:

^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^
@scholes0

The answer from the Attah of Igala to the Yoruba/Jukun[Wukari] immigration/Edo/Ibo
mix is here
: https://punchng.com/im-first-attah-in-igala-history-with-one-wife-ameh-oboni/

Would you mind telling us the origin of the Igala people?

"Talking about the origin of the Igala people, a sizeable group migrated from Wukari in Taraba State from where they came to Benue along the River Benue and continued very close to the confluence at a place called Amagede by River Benue and slightly down from Amagede downwards to Idah and they settled there. And there, they met a sizeable population of the Yorubas and the Benins and to some extent, some Igbo. So the migrant population from Wukari merged with them and produced a language called Igala as a people."

I posted the Punch Web link at the beginning of the thread on page 1.

I find the YouTube video of the Igala song to be fascinating.
Sounds Yoruboid. I know that during the Igala settlement/conquest
of the present northern Ibolands in Enugu and Anambra States,
they inflenced Nsukka by introducing the red chieftaincy cap
that you see in Iboland today. It came via Igalaland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igala_Kingdom
https://tukool.com/ethnic-groups-in-enugu-state/

It is not surprising NOW that many of WORDS you find in
Ibo that sound like Yoruba/Yoruboid came in via the Igala
influence... such as Ewure in Yoruba or Ewu in Ibo, Akuko Yoruba
or Okuko in Ibo, Okuta in Yoruba or Okwute in Ibo, Egungun in Yoruba
or Egwugwu in Ibo... and more! The Oworos [Yorubas of Lokoja] are
also not far off in geography between the Igala and Ibo the sector.

500 years of Igalas in Enugu
By Tony Adibe, Enugu | Published Date Jan 29, 2017 2:00 AM

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/500-years-of-igalas-in-enugu.html
https://www.nairaland.com/4354079/500-years-igala-enugu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by OGBUANYA: 4:25pm On Mar 16, 2019
What is talkative in igala
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by OGBUANYA: 4:27pm On Mar 16, 2019
What is igha-alu
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by nogragra: 11:54am On Apr 05, 2019
IgalaSchool:
Pronouns - Using a verb as example

Che - To do, Do something

Naa che - I will do
Uwe che - You will do (Singular)
Me che - You will do (Plural / Respect / Honorary)
A che / Ya che - He/She will do
Awa che - We will do
Ma che - They will do

I.e
Ma/me mo ote ekpe - They drank palm wine
A mo ote ekpe - We drank palmwine

Personal pronouns

A / Awa - We/Our (2nd person pl)
Omi - Me (1st person sg)
Uwe - You (2nd person sg)
Onwu - Him (3rd person sg)

I.e

Obe mi - My knife
Obe we - Your knife
Obe nwu - His knife

This language sounds very much like Yoruba Language. there must have been an historical crossing somewhere which oral narrative has omitted at some stage.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by Khenniecuzie: 9:04pm On May 28, 2019
Please what is "have you eaten " in Igala language
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by Konquest: 1:47pm On Oct 14, 2019
IgalaSchool:

It is the Attah that is mostly from Kororofa (Jukun) , not the general people, everyone makes that mistake including Igala people.
Many Igalas say we came from Jukun land, personally i don’t believ that.

I believe you have been given the meaning to the other words you asked.

Adejo can mean two things:

Servant of God - Adu Ojo
We are all together - A de Jo
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
Brilliant post! smiley

"Ooni, Attah speak on Ifa as connecting link to Nigeria's diversity"
=>https://thenationonlineng.net/ooni-attah-speak-on-ifa-as-connecting-link-to-nigerias-diversity/

"Ifa oracle is the connecting link of original Nigerians"

=>https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/05/igbo-yoruba-affinity-ifa-oracle-is-the-connecting-link-of-original-nigerians-attah-of-igala/

Ifa Divination is of Yoruba origin... and an integral aspect of the Yoruba Religion
which has spread to other parts of the world... such as Cuba, Brazil, Trinidad, Haiti
as Vodun, Guyana, and the USA. The Igalas who are Yoruboid linguitically took
Ifa via conquest to the northern parts of what is now Anambra and Enugu where the
pronounciation became corrupted to Afa. Nri, Aguleri and other Igala-associated
towns exist today where Igala bloodlines exist. This is the reason why there has been
this confusion of the part of some people about some words in Ibo that sound
and are similar to Yoruba words.

The Attah of Igala also said during the installation of an Attah, Ifa oracle is
consulted... Attah Michael Oboni did NOT even corrupt it. He used Ifa in
the Saturday Punch interview published on August 26, 2017.
READ MORE HERE: http://punchng.com/im-first-attah-in-igala-history-with-one-wife-ameh-oboni/

This similarity is just because of the Igala influence. It is very clear that if
Yoruba bloodlines exist in Igala, then Yoruba or Yoruboid bloodlines
exist in Anambra and Enugu States... not in the areas that Igalas did not
have influence. DNA tests which are available now for tracing ancestral
origins such as AncestryDNA and 23andMe can prove this now.
Yorubas are Igalas are cousins. There are other ethnic mixes in Igala
such as Idoma and Ebira Koto, but the fact that 65% to 70% of Igala
and Yoruba are similar just like Itsekiri language shows that they
are family. Areas in Anambra such as Gov. Willie Obiano's Aguleri
people also will be cousins with the Yorubas via their ancestral
links with Igalaland starting from a few centuries ago!

Other parts of Ibo area like the Southern Ibo were not influence by
Igala Kingdom's conquest, but they have adopted Igala influences
from Nsuka axis... such as the wearing of the red chieftaincy caps
which is clearly Igala. Several Middle-Belt groups including the
Yorubas or Kogi and Kwara State wear the red chieftaincy caps
as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by alltrust(m): 10:13am On Dec 24, 2019
Please can someone tell us what the igala word "Olishoke" means?
Re: I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. by Revolva(m): 7:00am On Mar 30, 2020
Yeah i like this thread it good for anyone who wanna learn the basic of igala language

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do You Speak Yoruba? / Ife Queen Wuraola With Her Lebanese Husband / Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.