Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,115 members, 7,807,359 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

A Pound Of Flesh - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Pound Of Flesh (1039 Views)

POUND OF FLESH (episode 3) Written By Tolulope Olulola / POUND OF FLESH (episode 2) Written By Tolulope Olulola / POUND OF FLESH (episode 1) Written By Tolulope Olulola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Pound Of Flesh by Lopeh(f): 9:45pm On Nov 22, 2017
Hello, guys. I'm new here and I'll be starting a story. I hope you guys like it. Thank you. smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: A Pound Of Flesh by Lopeh(f): 10:04pm On Nov 22, 2017
All rights reserved.

CHAPTER ONE

Nancy shivered slightly as she walked briskly down the street. It was dark and lonely. Two days ago, she would never have imagined herself on a street like this. She wrapped her arms around her chest as the harmattan breeze swept through the street. She stopped and brought her phone out of her bag. She checked its screen and ‘12:23 a.m’ stared back at her. She tucked the phone back in her bag and kept walking.

She had been angry, but all she could feel now was sadness. And she hated that. She hated the fact that that the anger had slowly dissipated into sadness. Why would she be sad? Maybe she should be. That the man she was supposed to get married to in a week had been sleeping with another woman. Damn Richard! She had trusted him! She had thought that she had finally met ‘the one’. What would she tell her friends? How would she explain to everyone she had invited that the wedding had been cancelled? She hugged herself more tightly as the harmattan breeze swept past her. A tear dropped. She could not do this to herself. She would not make herself cry for someone that was not worth the tears. She cleared her throat and walked faster. She hoped she would get home soon enough.

“Geez!” He muttered as he tripped on a stone and almost fell. He cursed silently and continued strolling. He wondered how he had not noticed the stone. If he had fallen, it would have been a big disaster as he was just recovering from some injuries he had had days back. It was his first time coming out in one week and he hoped it worked out today. Something in him said it would, and as pessimistic as he thought he was, he believed. He had to believe because he had rested for one week, and it was time to get back to work.

It was almost 1 a.m now and he was beginning to feel sleepy. He widened his eyes and sat on a pavement beside the road. He had been about dozing off when he looked over to the far end of the road and saw a lady coming towards him. He almost jumped for joy. He composed himself and awaited her arrival. She had almost passed by him when he stood up.

“Hi.” He said.
She sprung backwards, as though she was shocked to see him.

“Oh my God, you scared me. Who are you?” she asked, retreating.

He smiled broadly. “I mean no harm, miss. I just love strolling at this time of the night to clear my head. What about you? A lady shouldn’t be seen outside at this time, you know.”

She seemed to relax. That was good.

“Erm…I don’t mean to be rude, but I have to go. My parents are probably waiting.” She said as she turned to leave.

“Do you live around here?” He asked.

“Why?” she said and turned fully towards him.

He could now see her profile fully. She was a beautiful woman, no doubt; and she was probably in her mid-twenties. She was perfectly shaped and so appealing that he almost wished she was not the one he had met tonight. She looked like she had been crying as she had teary eyes he knew she was trying very hard to hide. Her forehead was also creased.

“Well, there are night guards down the street and I’m certain they won’t allow you go anywhere till the day breaks.”

She sized him up from head to toe and seemed to be contemplating something. She looked towards the end of the street. She probably didn’t believe him. But why would she? He was only a stranger.

“I’ll try my luck.” She finally said.

“I’m very sure they won’t let you pass. You’ll spend the night at their post, and I don’t think that will be very comfortable. I’ll be here in case you have a change of mind.”

“Thanks.” She hurriedly said and walked away.

He watched her go. She was one stubborn lady. He wondered what she was doing all alone at this time of the night. But what did he care? All he knew was, she was a good start to a new week.

He went back and sat on the pavement he had been sitting on earlier. He desperately hoped that she would come back.

Nancy moved hastily towards the end of the street. She knew that the stranger was right. Night guards rarely allowed people go out of an estate once it was past midnight. She was almost at the end of the street and she could already make out the features of the guards. She paused and weighed her choices. She could not go back to Richard’s place; never! Why was she even thinking about Richard? He was the last person she should be considering. She knew that she would spend the night on a bench if she decided to go to the guards. All she needed right now was a cozy bed and a private place to clear her head. Her best bet was the stranger. She would beg him to let her spend the night at his place, and she would leave first thing in the morning.
She sighed and started to walk towards where she had met the stranger. Luckily, he was still there.

“You were right. The guards will not let me out of the gate.” She said as she made for the pavement and sat beside him. She hugged herself tightly.

“Told ya.” He smiled.

She watched him. He seemed like a nice person, a gentleman even. She was tired and needed to rest. It had been a long walk from Richard’s house. Richard. The thought of him seemed to make her want to puke. It was funny how you could love someone now, and in another minute, you’re totally irritated by them.
Maybe it wasn’t him that irritated her. Maybe it was the fact that she had agreed to sleep with him a week before, because she had thought that they would be getting married soon; so there was nothing to lose. But how had she not seen the signs? How had she not known that she wasn’t the only one? How….

“It’s really cold out here. You can have my sweater.” The stranger jolted her out of her thoughts.

“No, thanks.” She said and looked away.

He chuckled. “You don’t have to be scared of me, miss. And it’s just a sweater, you can have it.” He handed it to her.

She collected the sweater and put it on.

“We should go inside before we freeze to death. Do you mind?”

“No, I don’t. Thank you very much. You’re very kind.” Nancy muttered and followed the stranger. Tears started to fall. She had always wondered what heartbreak felt like. Now she knew it firsthand.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Pound Of Flesh by Lopeh(f): 10:09pm On Nov 22, 2017
Your comments will be appreciated. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Pound Of Flesh by neloyah: 5:06pm On Jan 03, 2018
Chapter 2 ma'am cheesy
Re: A Pound Of Flesh by Unlimited22: 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2018
Don't tell me you gave this up.

1 Like

Re: A Pound Of Flesh by Lopeh(f): 11:44pm On Jan 04, 2018
neloyah:
Chapter 2 ma'am cheesy
Coming right up. Thanks for reading. smiley
Re: A Pound Of Flesh by Lopeh(f): 11:45pm On Jan 04, 2018
Unlimited22:
Don't tell me you gave this up.
Lol, I almost did. Thanks for reading. smiley
Re: A Pound Of Flesh by neloyah: 11:49pm On Jan 04, 2018
Lopeh:
Coming right up. Thanks for reading. smiley

yaay!♥. No thanks...it was worth the read..
Re: A Pound Of Flesh by Lopeh(f): 11:55pm On Jan 04, 2018

Nancy woke up with a banging headache. She tried to sit up, but found out that she could not move. She looked around. She was in a room that was poorly lit, but warm. She strained her eyes and made out the form of a man. He was standing by the window. Christ! She had been going home from Richard’s place and then she had met a man who had been nice and had followed him to his apartment. And then….she could not remember anything after that. She struggled to sit up and discovered that she could not. She decided to scream, maybe someone would hear her.

“Help!” But this only came out in a whisper. Her voice was gone.

“Don’t. You’ll just be wasting your time.” She heard him say.

She continued struggling. “Who are you and what did you do to me?” She said in a whisper.

“Don’t stress yourself, miss. I gave you a sedative that will not allow you move or talk. Just relax and enjoy yourself.” The man said and sat.

Nancy finally gave up struggling to sit up or talk. Tears welled up in her eyes and threatened to fall. Why were men like this? Why was there so much evil in this world? She wondered what this strange man wanted from her. If Richard had not been sleeping with another woman, she would not have left angrily at that time of the night. She was sure her parents were worried about her already. She searched frantically for her phone in her pocket…

“Looking for something?” The man said, registering his presence once again.

Nancy ignored him. She wondered if he had taken her phone or if she had mistakenly dropped it when she was talking to him. Silly her! She should not have gone back to him when she saw the night guards. She should have stayed with them. If only she could turn back the hands of time, if only…

“Well, if you’re looking for your phone, not to worry. I disposed it because we won’t be needing it.”

The man sighed and continued. “We don’t need to waste time. Let’s do this fast.”

He came to where Nancy lay, raised her head up, sat and put her head on his legs. Nancy watched him bring out a knife from his side pocket. He tossed the knife back and forth and looked like he was enjoying it.
Nancy knew it was the end of the road for her. She had been stupid enough to get caught in a murderer’s net. The tears that had been welling up in her eyes fell freely, wetting his trousers. She shut her eyes tightly and waited.

“Open your eyes, miss. I’ll do it fast and you’ll be gone in a matter of minutes.” The man said mockingly.

Nancy shivered at the thought of being gone. Was this how it felt to be murdered? She wished she could scream and get help, but her throat felt dry. She winced as she felt the knife cut through her throat. It was painful…very painful. Then a second cut, more like a forceful piercing. She held her left hand up to her throat and felt a lot of blood. She brought the hand up so that she could see it. She felt life draining out of her. She looked up and saw the man smiling. Then a third cut! Nancy slipped quietly out of life.

1 Like

Re: A Pound Of Flesh by Unlimited22: 12:08am On Jan 05, 2018
Oh, come on.
Seriously?
That's all we get?

1 Like

Re: A Pound Of Flesh by neloyah: 12:13am On Jan 05, 2018
Unlimited22 I'm so having a nightmare tonight lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

No Valentine Boo, I Cried Myself To Sleep Last Night / Underjoy / Which Book Cover Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.