Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger (4652 Views)

Mourinho Is Greater Than Wenger & Guardiola – Fabregas / Is Mourinho Rude Or Not In This Picture? / Mourinho Better Than Me - Van Gaal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by sunny4all(m): 4:03pm On Feb 23, 2007
is mourinho better than wenger?

Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 4:11pm On Feb 23, 2007
HAA HAA HAA. . .   cheesy

There's no basis for comparism at all!

Which of them has won the Champions league?   cheesy   cheesy   cheesy

Let's not overflog the issue. . . Jose mourinho any day!

Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 4:18pm On Feb 23, 2007
For two consecutive years (2004 and 2005), Mourinho was named the world's best football coach by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).

Mourinho won the Champions league with Porto and he won the premiership for two consecutive years with Chelsea!

Need I say more? grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 4:31pm On Feb 23, 2007
He is well-known for his self-belief, and has at many times been a controversial figure. grin grin

Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by loyika(m): 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2007
Is that the standard of the best manager? Back to back Prems, and CL You all like arguing some unnesscessary bunkum. So basically from your line of arguement, what will you say about who is better between say George Weah and Kanu. Kanu has won more International laurels, than Weah, But Weah was once FIFA Footballer of the year, which Kanu has never been. So brilliant people who is far better

A coach's worth is decided after they have left the game, not before, It took Sir Alex 12 years of being at the Helm of United before he could achieve his only Champions League Cup so far, is anyone sure he won't win another before he retires , So i guess you want to start comparing Jose to Sir Alex now because they have both won 1 CL cup each tongue.

For your info, it takes more than Trophy hauls for a coach to be considered good. How long has Jose been in the game, so because he has won Back to Back titles you will now say he is better than folks like Sir Bobby Robson, Better than Kenny Daglish, Better than Van Gaal, Better than Johan Cruff.

This arguement is trully a waste of time and space, and can be had 1 year after both managers have retired, when we can look at their records in full. Cause i don't see any sign that they will be leaving management anytime soon.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 4:50pm On Feb 23, 2007
Hey hey hey! I am not comparing him to Kenny Daglish, Van Gaal, or Johan Cruff! All I am saying is that he is better than Wenger! Hands down!
KAPISH!

And by the way, Mourinho is much younger (14 years difference) and has many more years to further prove himself!   grin   grin

I see Wenger retiring very soon, and I do not think He can ever be better than Mourinho. At least not with the current form of the gunners.

Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by kitaun(m): 4:57pm On Feb 23, 2007
Another needless thread!! Razorr, you should have ignored dis thread, u ought to know beta by now!
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 4:59pm On Feb 23, 2007
Come on uncle Kit, let's address the issue now. . .

I am enjoying it! grin grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by loyika(m): 5:48pm On Feb 23, 2007
like was said

This thread is useless tongue as useless as comparing Arsenal and chelsea (Who is the greatest team )

Anyway Razoorr kiss Knock yourself out and catch your trips.

I leave this thread to follow its natural course and die a natural death tongue

BUNKUM THREAD!! BUNKUM TOPIC!! tongue

cool GOONER 89
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2007
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Sweety, this thread would never die! It would exist till Jesus shows up on this Planet! grin grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by kitaun(m): 5:56pm On Feb 23, 2007
TTBD. Why? No adequate "time basis of comparison" And Razorr I expect you to respect this. Cheers
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by debosky(m): 6:05pm On Feb 23, 2007
Maybe someone dropped her on her head during the last salsa session grin grin grin

no basis for comparison - give 2 coaches the similar materials, similar support and see how they perform over a 5-10 year period.

other than that, y'all might as well be comparing the godiya bread sold in Gusau Zamfara state to croissants sold in paris!
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by 4Play(m): 7:09pm On Feb 23, 2007
Mourinho won 2 European trophies with Porto,that is as much as Arsenal have won in their entire life history and certainly more than Wenger has won(he was won nothing)

The excuse given these days by Wenger apologists is that Arsenal has no money.That is pure drivel.Arsenal were better off financially than Porto under Mourinho.With players such as Overmars,Viera,Henry,Petit,Pires e.t.c,Wenger never won anything in Europe

At Monaco he similarly finished empty handed in Europe even with quality players in his team(George Weah comes to mind).

He also won the league just once with Monaco.Mourinho won it twice at Porto

NB:Fergie won 3 league titles and one European trophy in 5 years at Aberdeen so money should not be used as excuse by Wenger apologists.

4 Play Mendez grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by shens2006(m): 9:53pm On Feb 23, 2007
HAHAHAH
@4PLAY, u too much grin grin grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by mukina2: 9:55pm On Feb 23, 2007
crazy thread tongue tongue

it should have been is maureen a better dancer than wenger? grin

maureen  is a better parrot than wenger tongue

maureen is a real clown grin

mizme wink

is pre-intimacy a loser? angry tongue (rhetoric)
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 10:21pm On Feb 23, 2007
MY GOODNESS! shocked shocked shocked

I didn't realise how cowardly Arsenal fans are until today! angry

They are chickening out now because this thread doesn't favour them! grin grin

Well, whether you like it or not, this thread ain't going nowhere, so you better post your contributions! grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by mukina2: 10:27pm On Feb 23, 2007
razorr wink

arsene is the best in the business . .ask faggotson grin

maureen is pouting,dancing manager of the century grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by shens2006(m): 10:31pm On Feb 23, 2007
@mukina,   chairlady live that side.   u na no get mouth tongue tongue
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 10:36pm On Feb 23, 2007
Mukina, enough of the chidish posts! angry

Please post something concrete and serious!
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by shens2006(m): 10:44pm On Feb 23, 2007
@RAZORR, i feel u jare wink
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by mukina2: 10:46pm On Feb 23, 2007
the thread is meaningless  grin
we all know the truth tongue
so why must i waste my fingers angry
maureen is a clown   . .a big time one at that
why must people compare him and professor wenger angry

you want concrete take this one angry

read on grin grin its about the great man himself tongue

Managerial career
After an unsuccessful spell at Nancy, Wenger's managerial career took off when he became the manager of AS Monaco in 1987. He won the league in 1988 and the French Cup in 1991, and signed high-calibre players such as Glenn Hoddle, George Weah and Jürgen Klinsmann. Wenger turned down approaches by Bayern Munich and the France national team out of loyalty for Monaco, only to be fired after a poor start to a league season. He moved on to a successful 18-month stint with the Japanese J. League team Nagoya Grampus Eight, with whom he won the prestigious Emperor's Cup. He also took the club from the bottom three to a runners-up position in the league.

Wenger had in the meantime become a friend of Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein, after the two had met when Wenger attended a match between Arsenal and Queens Park Rangers in 1988. After Bruce Rioch resigned in August 1996, there was much speculation in the English press that Wenger would take over. Gérard Houllier, the then technical director of the French Football Federation, recommended Wenger to David Dein in the summer of 1996. Arsenal confirmed his appointment on September 28, 1996, and he officially took up the reins on October 1. Wenger was Arsenal's first manager from outside Great Britain or Ireland. Though he had been previously been touted as a potential Technical Director of the Football Association, Wenger was a relative unknown in England.

Even before he formally took control of the team, Wenger had started to shape it in his own way, having requested that the club sign midfielders Patrick Vieira and Rémi Garde. His first match in charge was a 2-0 win over Blackburn Rovers on October 12, 1996. In his first season at the club, Arsenal finished third and missed out on Champions League qualification on goal difference.

In his second season in charge (1997-98), Arsenal won both the Premiership and FA Cup, the second Double in the club's history; it came after Arsenal made up a twelve point deficit to win the League title with two games to spare. Key to the success was the inherited back four of Tony Adams, Nigel Winterburn, Lee Dixon and Martin Keown, as well as Wenger's new midfield signings of Vieira, Emmanuel Petit and Marc Overmars, and teenage striker Nicolas Anelka's partnership with Dennis Bergkamp.

The following few seasons were comparatively barren, although Arsenal did come close several times. In 1999, they lost the Premiership title to Manchester United by a single point, and United also eliminated Arsenal in extra time of an FA Cup semi-final replay. This was followed by losing the UEFA Cup final to Galatasaray on penalties and the 2001 FA Cup final to Liverpool 2-1. Wenger resolved to bring new players to the squad, and with the controversial signing of Tottenham's Sol Campbell as well as first-team players such as Fredrik Ljungberg, Thierry Henry and Robert Pirès.

Although the new signings took a little time to adapt, they made sure that Wenger's Arsenal would achieve the double once more in the 2001-02 season. The crowning moment was the penultimate game of the season, against Manchester United; Sylvain Wiltord scored the only goal in the match to win the title. It was the club's third double, and Arsenal were undefeated in a record 23 matches away from home. After an incredible start to the 2002-03 season, Arsenal had looked as though they were going to retain the Premiership crown for the first time in their history. The team contributed and combined some irresistible, attacking football with pace and visionary skills. However, Manchester United overhauled the Gunners in the latter stage of the season to win the title, as Arsenal threw away a two-goal lead against Bolton Wanderers to draw 2-2 and then surrendered the title at home to Leeds United.

Arsenal were compensated with a FA Cup win in 2003, and the following season made history by winning the 2003-04 Premiership title in 2004 without a single loss, the first top-flight team to manage this feat since Preston North End in 1888-89. A year earlier, Wenger had been derided for saying it was possible Arsenal could go unbeaten in an entire season.

With another FA Cup win in 2005, in all, Arsenal have won three Premier League titles and four FA Cups under Wenger, making him Arsenal's most successful manager in terms of trophies. However, the UEFA Champions League title still eludes him; the closest Arsenal have come was when they reached the final in 2005-06, the first time in club history, which they lost 2-1 to FC Barcelona.

In October 2004, he signed a contract extension that will keep him at Arsenal through the 2007-08 season. Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has said Wenger has a "job for life" at Arsenal, and plans to offer Wenger a role on the Arsenal board once he has retired as a manager.

Accomplishments

Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to:
Arsène WengerWenger has a reputation for unearthing talent and developing young players from across Europe and, in recent years, Africa. At Monaco, he brought George Weah from Africa who later became FIFA World Player of the Year with AC Milan. In his time at Arsenal, Wenger has signed young, relatively unknown players such as Patrick Vieira, Nicolas Anelka, Francesc Fàbregas, Kolo Touré and Robin van Persie, Emmanuel Eboue and Johan Djourou and transformed them all into world-class players. In particular, the defence which set a new record, after going ten consecutive games without conceding a goal on route to the UEFA Champions League 2005-06 final, cost Arsenal less than £5m to assemble.

Although Wenger has made some big-money signings for Arsenal, thanks to his talent-spotting ability, and the sale of several players for large fees after they had become established, his net spending record compares favourably with the large spending of some other leading Premiership clubs; according to Peter Hill-Wood, Arsenal chairman, "Arsène's basically spent, since he's been with us, £4m to £5m a year net." A notable example of this ability was the purchase of Nicolas Anelka from Paris St Germain for only £500,000 and his subsequent sale to Real Madrid just two years later for £22.3m. The money was used to buy three players — Thierry Henry, Robert Pirès and Sylvain Wiltord, who all played a significant role in the Double of 2001-02 and the league title win of 2003-04.

As well as finding new talent, he has also rejuvenated the careers of several established players who had lost form. Dennis Bergkamp, who had been signed by Arsenal a year before Wenger joined, reached his peak under Wenger's management. Wenger stood by captain Tony Adams after the latter admitted his alcoholism in 1996. Wenger's support was a key factor in Adams' rehabilitation and return to form, which extended his career by several years, and was rewarded as Adams led the club to two Doubles. Besides Adams, Wenger's training and dietary regime have also prolonged the careers of the other back four defenders Nigel Winterburn, Lee Dixon and Martin Keown; Wenger initially was planning to replace them but later realized that he did not need to. Similarly, Wenger also resurrected the career of his former protégé at Monaco, Thierry Henry, who had struggled to cope at Juventus but at Arsenal he became the club's all-time top scorer and captain.

Wenger has also reformed the training and dietary regimes, ridding the club of its drinking and junk-food culture. Wenger had a direct input into the design of the Gunners' new Emirates Stadium and its move to a new training ground at London Colney. He enjoys a great deal of popular support from among the Arsenal fanbase; the club's fans have put tremendous faith in the manager and his vision over the long term, as characterised by the popular saying among Gunners supporters — "Arsène Knows" — which is emphatically repeated many times on the banners seen in the Highbury crowd.

For Arsenal's valedictory campaign at Highbury in 2005-06, supporters showed their appreciation for the manager by choosing "Wenger Day" as one of various "Themed Matchdays" proposed by the club in celebration of the team's move away from their historical ground. Wenger Day was held on his 56th birthday on October 22, 2005, during a match against Manchester City.

Wenger reached his landmark 10th anniversary at the club in October 2006

David Dein, the vice-chairman of Arsenal, has described Wenger as the most important manager in the club's history: "Arsene's a miracle worker. He's revolutionised the club. He's turned players into world-class players. Since he has been here, we have seen football from another planet.

Awards

Wenger was awarded France's highest decoration, the Légion d'Honneur, in 2002. He was awarded an honorary OBE for services to British football in the Queen's Birthday Honours List of 2003, along with fellow Frenchman and then Liverpool manager Gérard Houllier.

In 2006, Wenger was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in recognition of his achievements as a manager in the English game. He was the second foreign manager to be inducted to the Hall of Fame, after Italian-born Dario Gradi of Crewe Alexandra
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by mukina2: 10:50pm On Feb 23, 2007
some quotes from the madman himself .

"Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one."

"We have top players and, sorry if I'm arrogant, we have a top manager."

"If I wanted to have an easy job, I would have stayed at Porto - beautiful blue chair, the Uefa Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me."

"As we say in Portugal, they brought the bus and they left the bus in front of the goal." - after a 0-0 draw with Tottenham Hotspur

"If he helped me out in training we would be bottom of the league and if I had to work in his world of big business, we would be bankrupt." - on Chelsea F.C. owner Roman Abramovich
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by shens2006(m): 10:52pm On Feb 23, 2007
@mukina2 wat do u kno about football
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 10:55pm On Feb 23, 2007
Mukina, Thanks for the Long, extensive and very boring post!

But please try harder sweety. I'm not impressed! grin grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by mukina2: 10:57pm On Feb 23, 2007
the man himself kiss

razorr . i thot you said you wanted concrete . i gave enough sand and cement . grin

arsene has been there and done it all  .

compared to arsene  . maureen is a novice grin grin

Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 10:59pm On Feb 23, 2007
Let your old man win the European League then maybe, just maybe he would gain my respect!   grin   grin

By the way, please change that picture, it's too ugly!

Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by kitaun(m): 11:02pm On Feb 23, 2007
Mukina, like Akola would say "u have time sha" leave this thread for razorr and co to console themselves in advance, sunday is nigh u know?
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by mukina2: 11:06pm On Feb 23, 2007
razorr wenger is really handsome .you want to date him doncha?
dnt be shy girl cheesy cheesy

Dr Kit wassup you didnt tell me who you tralaalalala with on ur day . . kiss

i'll let them have this thread grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by debosky(m): 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2007
when we beat y'all on sunday the noise will go down

2 questions: how do you judge which manager is better than which? by the number of CL trophies, FA cups or championships?

does money play any role in determining who is a better manager?

@ 4play I'll say a couple of things

1. there is a difference between the portuguese league and the premiership, it is quite possible that the league was not competitive enough, which is why porto could consistently win the league without much effort, even with all the players (deco, carvalho, maniche) that left, they are still winning it day to day, showing the league is not too competitive.

this leads to more energy being available to contest for the CL, so on that basis, winning the CL in portugal and england are not the same, you have much more to deal with in england, which is why, despite all the money and everything, maureen hasn't won the CL in chelsea, he hasnt even gotten to the finals

secondly, there is only 1 domestic cup in portugal, meaning fewer matches for the players, making them fresher for continental campaigns.

so based on the above assertions, it would've been fairly easy to win the CL/UEFA cup for a good coach in portugal due to fewer games and less stress obtained in the domestic league.

as he said, the porto job is easier, than england, if he is 'so special' why hasn't he won the CL in two seasons with chelsea with all their money? he hasn't even smelt the FA cup final so what is all the boasting about?
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by jgirl3: 11:14pm On Feb 23, 2007
Mourinho and Wenger? haha jokes. 2 junior coaches compared to Sir Alex Fergusson. Why bother - none is better. They're equally alright. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

*runs out before they kick her*
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by mukina2: 11:28pm On Feb 23, 2007
grin grin grin grin
debo pls post that pic of gay when he lost to wenger grin grin grin
Re: Is Mourinho Better Than Wenger by Razorr(f): 11:39pm On Feb 23, 2007
Debosky, Mourinho hasn't won the CL in chelsea, no problem. But he has won the Premiership back to back, which is more than I can say for Wenger!

By the way, all that talk about Fewer matches in Portugal is just a bag of bullshit! angry The Champions league is a very tough nut to crack, which is why it takes a coach with a lot of depth and Brilliance to win it!
So try again, mister!

As for you Kitaun, I am very willing to place any amount of money on sunday's match, so please let me know if you're game for a bet! I know you're shivering in fear in your pyjamas right now! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stakegains Drops 3 Winning Odds Banker / Italy Vs Slovakia [2 - 3]: 24 June, 2010 @ World Cup / 100% Sure Banker Tips Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.