Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,982 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

Yoruba Names By Region - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Names By Region (17200 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Efewestern: 6:40pm On Feb 18, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^
^^^^^
@Efewestern

How are you doing today?

Thanks for giving us something new to
read. I love reading about a wide range
of cultures on continental Africa - and
on a global scale... deeply appreciate!

All the best! smiley

P.S. @Efewestern, I discovered after my
last post to you that the bespectacled
U.S.- based Urhobo man [Waphyguy on
YouTube] with an Itsekiri mother who took
a DNA test with DNALand.com, which
confirmed his Paternal ancestry match
to Esan [Edoid], and Maternal ancestry DNA
links to Yoruba [his mum being an Itsekiri],
has removed the 2 YouTube videos that
he had uploaded for over 4 years now.

Fortunately, I downloaded "Waphyguy's" 2 YouTube videos on the DNA test results
on my laptop device, and also uploaded
them to Google Drive.

maybe I will need those videos one of these days.. As for the link, don't mention grin.

I also have answer to your omo-agege question, thou it's the same with the response I gave you that day, but I plan creating a thread explaining it in details.

kinda busy now.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Konquest: 7:48pm On Feb 18, 2018
Efewestern:

Maybe I will need those videos one of these days.. As for the link, don't mention grin.

I also have answer to your omo-agege question, thou it's the same with the response I gave you that day, but I plan creating a thread explaining it in details.

kinda busy now.
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
OK @Efewestern

I'll definitely share the DNA videos with
you when I'm through. smiley

The size of the videos are a bit large
so it will NOT be possible to attach to Gmail
which ONLY takes a maximum of 25MB email attachments.

So I'll try to upload the videos to any free online
service that allows files to be uploaded, then
I will send the Website link to you so you can
eventually download them. I'll inform
you when I'm done via NL!

The "waphyguy" videos are very hilarious
and educative... and show that the peoples
of Western Nigeria and Edo/Delta States
have always interacted and married one
another before the whitemen
arrived on our shores.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 18, 2018
@Konquest:

I was meant to share the source for my ‘agerige’ post.

Here’s the link to the screenshot below:

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=7XSiGw4_qlAC&pg=PA256&lpg=PA256&dq=egba+agerige&source=bl&ots=u2Vea2ieHp&sig=WsgfGfL-M1JkWMNyr_RZWIlNMkE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG6-yhkrDZAhVDalAKHXR9BaQQ6AEwAHoECA0QAQ#v=onepage&q=egba%20agerige&f=true

I may be wrong though. Agerige might be another location entirely different from Agege.

A simple ‘agerige’ search in google produces a number of results connecting ‘Agerige’ to ‘Agege’ on different websites. So I don’t know but I guess I’ll leave this here for further breakdown.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Konquest: 9:19pm On Feb 18, 2018
Y0ruba:
@Konquest:

I was meant to share the source for my ‘agerige’ post.

Here’s the link to the screenshot below:

I may be wrong though. Agerige might be another location entirely different from Agege.
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
@Y0ruba
How has your day been? smiley

Yeah!... I have a full copy of the "History of the
Yorubas" by Rev. Samuel Johnson who was
an Oyo man. Over 700 pages long!

Agerige is an oil producing community in
Ilaje LGA in Ondo State.

There could be an Agerige in Ogun just like
we have Ikoyi, Ejigbo, etc, in several states
in the West of Nigeria!

@Olu317 posted some info on Agege's
etymology as well on this thread... check
this page or the one before this where he
did justice to it! grin

Thanks for the post and screen shots
as usual!

All the best!
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 18, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
@Y0ruba
How has your day been? smiley

Yeah!... I have a full copy of the "History of the
YorubaYorubas" by Rev. Samuel Johnson who was
an Oyo man. Over 700 pages long!

Agerige is an oil producing community in
Ilaje LGA in Ondo State.

There could be an Agerige in Ogun just like
we have Ikoyi, Ejigbo, etc, in several states
in the West of Nigeria!

@Olu317 posted some info on Agege's
etymology as well on this thread... check
this page or the one before this where he
did justice to it! grin

Thanks for the post and screen shots
as usual!

All the best!

Well, the Agerige under the focus of Johnson’s narrative was the one in Ogun state. Like ‘Agege’, it was founded by Awori people, interestingly it also leads to Abeokuta then Ibadan.

I saw the ‘age igi’ etymology in Wikipedia too but the source cited for it wasn’t satisfactory but I’ll give it a rest.

Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Olu317(m): 8:31pm On Feb 19, 2018
Y0ruba:

Well, the Agerige under the focus of Johnson’s narrative was the one in Ogun state. Like ‘Agege’, it was founded by Awori people, interestingly it also leads to Abeokuta then Ibadan.

I saw the ‘age igi’ etymology in Wikipedia too but the source cited for it wasn’t satisfactory but I’ll give it a rest.

Cheers.
There are certainty of replica of names of towns in different parts of Yoruba land in Nigeria. So, the agerige definitely mean something to the bearers of such name. On, Agege, I partly schooled in that environment, played football, went to Danjuma cinema and Pen Cinema to watch film via old movie projector( Yesteryears nostalgia) . This period was when internet was no where TOO CLOSE to even the upper class between late 70s —early 80s. It was during this period, we were told by the older generation, whom were friends' fathers of Awori descendants. I had this knowledge way back . Timbers was high in demand and exported.....
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Probz(m): 6:16pm On Dec 26, 2018
lx3as:
Ekiti, Central Yoruba

Akinlua. - Akinleye

Adesua. - Adeseye

Adelua - Adeleye

Adeluyi. - Adeniyi

Akinluyi. - Akinniyi

Others are:
Ademiluyi, Oguntuyi, Ogunluyi, Ademiluyi, Olumilua, funmiluyi, Adesuyi, etc. Though they bear both forms.

Uyi = Iyi, Ua = Eye etc.

Then you have '... en' ending some Ijebu's names.
In Ijebu also, Ogunleye becomes Ogunnewe or Ogunneye; Adeleye becomes Adeneye, etc.

Adeleye = Adelua = Adeneye = Adekeye (Igbomina, sometimes for Adesua or Adeseye).

What about Monisola?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by lx3as(m): 6:57pm On Dec 26, 2018
Probz:

What about Monisola?

A general Yoruba name just like Mosebolatan; though very common among Ekitis and Ijesas, etc.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by London2011(f): 8:40pm On Dec 26, 2018
lx3as:

A general Yoruba name just like Mosebolatan; though very common among Ekitis and Ijesas, etc.

What about "Ekeolere" ?
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Probz(m): 1:47am On Dec 27, 2018
lx3as:

I thought so.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Efewestern: 9:16pm On Dec 27, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
Someone I knew back in my undergraduate days in Nigeria had
"Okoro" as his surname. He was a full-blooded, pounded yam-loving Ekiti
guy! grin

Okoro has something to do with "bitterness" according to the Ekiti version. Urhobos also bear Okoro
as surnames. Oko has something to do
with "man" in Itsekiri and Urhobo.

On the other hand Itsekiris use the spelling
: Ogedegbe! In other parts of Yoruba, Ogedengbe with a letter "n" is used...

All the best.

Seasons Greetings konquest, just saw this post while doing a little research on the origin of the word "Okoro".

In Urhobo/Isoko/Itsekiri "Okoro" means man/boy, example of names associated with Okoro are;
Okotie (Okoro-tie) - short man
Okorodudu (Okoro-Odudu) - Black Man

Edo also bears "Okeren" (Might not get the spelling correctly) which means boy (Corrupt form of Okoro), I also heard those from Ilaje and Ikale bears something related to this, and when I asked about the meaning they told me it means "Aged Man".

Igbo also bears Okoro, and it means boy/banchelor/young male adult. but haven't heard of "Okoro" been translated as "Bitterness", my question is, how can Ekiti have a different meaning to this particular word even when it means boy in other Eastern yoruboid dialects.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Konquest: 10:56pm On Dec 28, 2018
Efewestern:

Seasons Greetings konquest, just saw this post while doing a little research on the origin of the word "Okoro".

In Urhobo/Isoko/Itsekiri "Okoro" means man/boy, example of names associated with Okoro are;
Okotie (Okoro-tie) - short man
Okorodudu (Okoro-Odudu) - Black Man

Edo also bears "Okeren" (Might not get the spelling correctly) which means boy (Corrupt form of Okoro), I also heard those from Ilaje and Ikale bears something related to this, and when I asked about the meaning they told me it means "Aged Man".

Igbo also bears Okoro, and it means boy/banchelor/young male adult. but haven't heard of "Okoro" been translated as "Bitterness", my question is, how can Ekiti have a different meaning to this particular word even when it means boy in other Eastern yoruboid dialects.

^^^^^
^^^^^
@Efewestern

It's good to read from you again.
I wish you Happy Holidays once more
and I know you're having a great time
where you are! smiley

Yes you're right about Oko meaning boy or man
in those areas you mentioned and I'm
aware of the meaning of Okorodudu and
Okotie, and even the Okowa surname of the Delta State Governor which an indigene
of Agbor/Ika axis once told us is of Edo
origin (Oko uwe).

I remember asking the Ekiti friend in the University
then and he said it had to do with "bitterness"
since bitter in Yoruba language is "koro"
so if you say "O koro"... it means " It is bitter"
when translated into English language.

I must also add that most Yoruba names are
shortened forms of longer words. Examples
include Taiwo contraction which is got from
"to aiye wo"
meaning the first child to Taste the World.
Aiye means world in Yoruba language.

Kehinde is got from Ekehinde meaning
"coming from behind" the first child.

Gbajabiamila is contracted from the Yoruba
sentence "O gun gbalaja bi amila" I got this
info from a newspaper years ago when a
member of the Gbajabiamila family was
interviewed and he said their paternal
ancestor was a very tall man or 7-footer
likened to a giraffe figuratively. "O gun gbalaja
bi amila" fully means in English that he is
tall like a giraffe.

Most members of Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila's family
are very tall and some of them who were born in
the USA have played professional American
Football and even further shortened their
surnames from Gbajabiamila to Gbaja. Femi
Gbajabiamila was known as Femi Gbaja officially
when he was a practicing legal attorney in the USA.

I hope this info helps you to a great extent!

Enjoy your holidays and all the best! :-)

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Probz(m): 11:51pm On Dec 28, 2018
Good old Konquest. Always full of spirit and exuberance aren’t you. Borderline hypomanic.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by baby124: 8:12am On Dec 30, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^
^^^^^
@Efewestern

It's good to read from you again.
I wish you Happy Holidays once more
and I know you're having a great time
where you are! smiley

Yes you're right about Oko meaning boy or man
in those areas you mentioned and I'm
aware of the meaning of Okorodudu and
Okotie, and even the Okowa surname of the Delta State Governor which an indigene
of Agbor/Ika axis once told us is of Edo
origin (Oko uwe).

I remember asking the Ekiti friend in the University
then and he said it had to do with "bitterness"
since bitter in Yoruba language is "koro"
so if you say "O koro"... it means " It is bitter"
when translated into English language.

I must also add that most Yoruba names are
shortened forms of longer words. Examples
include Taiwo contraction which is got from
"to aiye wo"
meaning the first child to Taste the World.
Aiye means world in Yoruba language.

Kehinde is got from Ekehinde meaning
"coming from behind" the first child.

Gbajabiamila is contracted from the Yoruba
sentence "O gun gbalaja bi amila" I got this
info from a newspaper years ago when a
member of the Gbajabiamila family was
interviewed and he said their paternal
ancestor was a very tall man or 7-footer
likened to a giraffe figuratively. "O gun gbalaja
bi amila" fully means in English that he is
tall like a giraffe.

Most members of Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila's family
are very tall and some of them who were born in
the USA have played professional American
Football and even further shortened their
surnames from Gbajabiamila to Gbaja. Femi
Gbajabiamila was known as Femi Gbaja officially
when he was a practicing legal attorney in the USA.

I hope this info helps you to a great extent!

Enjoy your holidays and all the best! :-)

Kehinde is not Ekehinde but omokehindegbegbon. That’s the full name which means the child who stayed behind while Taiwo was sent to explore the world is the elder. The last to be born of twins is the older twin in Yoruba culture.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Olu317(m): 1:55pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

Kehinde is not Ekehinde but omokehindegbegbon. That’s the full name which means the child who stayed behind while Taiwo was sent to explore the world is the elder. The last to be born of twins is the older twin in Yoruba culture.

Well, it may seem right before you but it is ekeinde or Ekehinde gbegbon and not omokehinde gbegbon when it is being used as a panegyric by the people to praise Keinde or kehinde as a spite to showcase who is older in terms of Yoruba interpretation of twin.

In fact, twin praise is indivisible. And Omo is a universal word for a child in yoruba context ,be it noble birth,slave birth,servants,one that's brought up etc in Yoruba lexicon.So let us not over flog the meaning...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by baby124: 2:20pm On Dec 30, 2018
Olu317:

Well, it may seem right before you but it is ekeinde or Ekehinde gbegbon and not omokehinde gbegbon when it is being used as a panegyric by the people to praise Keinde or kehinde as a spite to showcase who is older in terms of Yoruba interpretation of twin.

In fact, twin praise is indivisible. And Omo is a universal word for a child in yoruba context ,be it noble birth,slave birth,servants,one that's brought up etc in Yoruba lexicon.So let us not over flog the meaning...
It’s omokehindegbegbon. Nothing like ekehinde that I know of. This is a name well known to me.
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Olu317(m): 8:16pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

It’s omokehindegbegbon. Nothing like ekehinde that I know of. This is a name well known to me.
If you say so. But such as omokehindegbegbon is not in Yoruba's Ejirè's panegyric. Beside this, I hope you know oyo Yoruba was not the oldest Yoruba dialect. Infact, Eastern Yoruba dialects remained the oldest and many other affiliated olders dialects.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by baby124: 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2018
Olu317:
If you say so. But such as omokehindegbegbon is not in Yoruba's Ejirè's panegyric. Beside this, I hope you know oyo Yoruba was not the oldest Yoruba dialect. Infact, Eastern Yoruba dialects remained the oldest and many other affiliated olders dialects.

Cheers.
Ejire’s panegyrics below does not specify a name, they just praise the circumstances of their birth. This is the Ejire Oriki below:
Oriki Ibeji:
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ ará ìṣokún.
Ẹdúnjobí
Ọmọ ẹdun tíí ṣeré orí igi
Ọ́-bẹ́-kẹ́ṣé-bẹ́-kàṣà,
Ó fẹsẹ̀ méjèèjì bẹ sílé alákìísa;
Ó salákìísà donígba aṣọ.
Gbajúmọ̀ ọmọ tíí gbàkúnlẹ̀ ìyá,
Tíí gbàdọ̀bálẹ̀ lọ́wọ́ baba tó bí í lọ́mọ.
Wínrinwínrin lójú orogún
Ejìwọ̀rọ̀ lojú ìyá ẹ̀.
Tani o bi ibeji ko n'owo?

The traditional names for twins in Yorubaland are Taiyewo and Omokehindegbegbon aka Taiwo or Taiye and Kehinde.
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Olu317(m): 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

Ejire’s panegyrics below does not specify a name, they just praise the circumstances of their birth. This is the Ejire Oriki below:
Oriki Ibeji:
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ ará ìṣokún.
Ẹdúnjobí
Ọmọ ẹdun tíí ṣeré orí igi
Ọ́-bẹ́-kẹ́ṣé-bẹ́-kàṣà,
Ó fẹsẹ̀ méjèèjì bẹ sílé alákìísa;
Ó salákìísà donígba aṣọ.
Gbajúmọ̀ ọmọ tíí gbàkúnlẹ̀ ìyá,
Tíí gbàdọ̀bálẹ̀ lọ́wọ́ baba tó bí í lọ́mọ.
Wínrinwínrin lójú orogún
Ejìwọ̀rọ̀ lojú ìyá ẹ̀.
Tani o bi ibeji ko n'owo?

The traditional names for twins in Yorubaland are Taiyewo and Omokehindegbegbon aka Taiwo or Taiye and Kehinde.

Well, I am familiar with oriki Ibeji as you do. And the traditional name you tried to describe as Taiyewo and Omokehinde is not the actual way the archaic Yoruba call the twin because everyone is omo this or omo that person in each family one represents. So the way you portrayed it isn't the way I learned it.

Honestly, it seems you have a particular dialect in your mind which is Oyo as the main yoruba dialect which is wrong because there is never a SUBJECTED Yoruba dialects but differences in accents . In other word if you think Kehindegbegbon is correct then you are unfair sir because all the dialects speakers still maintain their dialects even if they do speak with Oyo accent, which is done mostly in cities.In effect,it is incorrect for you to claim you know Keinde meaning as you make us think you are the only one that's familiar with such name because people can decide to call their children's name according to the archaic means of pronunciation which is eminent in many ways people write out their names.

Before taiwo became diminutive in nature ,it was described as ,‘ Omo -to-ko-to-aiyè-wo(the one who firstly tasted life ). While Kéhindè/Kéindè was; omo- e -ke-in-de-di-egbon(gba-egbon)-( the one who came from behind to become the older/usurper). Mind you gba (take/collect in this context) or di-da (becomes in this context) can be used interchangeably. So therefore Ákeindé/ Ékeinde/Ékeyinde/ÉKehinde mean the same thing as Kehinde which is a gradual diminutive of the name.

Finally, we have to be open-minded because Yoruba language is broader than the way we think, which is the reason I have discovered many words which many might think we Yoruba borrowed these instead of few being shared through contact while these people were the ones that have Yoruba words as loaned words in their lexicons.

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by baby124: 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2018
Olu317:

Well, I am familiar with oriki Ibeji as you do. And the traditional name you tried to describe as Taiyewo and Omokehinde is not the actual way the archaic Yoruba call the twin because everyone is omo this or omo that person in each family one represents. So the way you portrayed it isn't the way I learned it.

Honestly, it seems you have a particular dialect in your mind which is Oyo as the main yoruba dialect which is wrong because there is never a SUBJECTED Yoruba dialects but differences in accents . In other word if you think Kehindegbegbon is correct then you are unfair sir because all the dialects speakers still maintain their dialects even if they do speak with Oyo accent, which is done mostly in cities.In effect,it is incorrect for you to claim you know Keinde meaning as you make us think you are the only one that's familiar with such name because people can decide to call their children's name according to the archaic means of pronunciation which is eminent in many ways people write out their names.

Before taiwo became diminutive in nature ,it was described as ,‘ Omo -to-ko-to-aiyè-wo(the one who firstly tasted life ). While Kéhindè/Kéindè was; omo- e -ke-in-de-di-egbon(gba-egbon)-( the one who came from behind to become the older/usurper). Mind you gba (take/collect in this context) or di-da (becomes in this context) can be used interchangeably. So therefore Ákeindé/ Ékeinde/Ékeyinde/ÉKehinde mean the same thing as Kehinde which is a gradual diminutive of the name.

Finally, we have to be open-minded because Yoruba language is broader than the way we think, which is the reason I have discovered many words which many might think we Yoruba borrowed these instead of few being shared through contact while these people were the ones that have Yoruba words as loaned words in their lexicons.

Cheers

My Ekiti/Ondo twin friends who I just asked their name confirm that the Kehinde name is fully omokehindegbegbon. Is Ekiti and Ondo not Eastern Yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Olu317(m): 6:36am On Dec 31, 2018
baby124:

My Ekiti/Ondo twin friends who I just asked their name confirm that the Kehinde name is fully omokehindegbegbon. Is Ekiti and Ondo not Eastern Yoruba?

As long you can't capture the meaning of the name but claiming your Ekiti twin friend say so, just showed you didnt do much research on how the name was derived as if your friend are the only born to be twin. Beside, your friend being twin, has nothing to do with his interpretation of the meaning of the name. Despite Ekeindegbaegbon is referred as the usurper,kindly verify the reason To-aiyè-wo is called Taiye Lolu!

As I had mentioned earlier, omo is a name that is used often among Yorubas. So do research on the meaning of,‘ omo' before you this claim of yours which is actually incorrect because you say Ékéìndègbàégbón or Ékéìndègbàégbón is wrong, which only exposed your understanding of Yoruba names,its diminutives and meaning.

Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by baby124: 9:36am On Dec 31, 2018
Olu317:

As long you can't capture the meaning of the name but claiming your Ekiti twin friend say so, just showed you didnt do much research on how the name was derived as if your friend are the only born to be twin. Beside, your friend being twin, has nothing to do with his interpretation of the meaning of the name. Despite Ekeindegbaegbon is referred as the usurper,kindly verify the reason To-aiyè-wo is called Taiye Lolu!

As I had mentioned earlier, omo is a name that is used often among Yorubas. So do research on the meaning of,‘ omo' before you this claim of yours which is actually incorrect because you say Ékéìndègbàégbón or Ékéìndègbàégbón is wrong, which only exposed your understanding of Yoruba names,its diminutives and meaning.

Cheers.
Lol. On my own side of Yorubaland it’s the same as theirs. I already explained that clearly but you are still arguing blindly. You know better than their Ekiti family?
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Olu317(m): 6:09pm On Dec 31, 2018
baby124:

Lol. On my own side of Yorubaland it’s the same as theirs. I already explained that clearly but you are still arguing blindly. You know better than their Ekiti family?

Kindly read some information on twin from a twin too in Culture / Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by BTT.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by scholes0(m): 4:34am On Jan 01, 2019
baby124:

Ekiti is Central Yoruba, not Eastern. However, most of Ondo (like 70%) is Eastern Yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by London2011(f): 8:36am On Jan 01, 2019
Ekeolere?? Anyone? Or is this just a made up name?
Re: Yoruba Names By Region by babtoundey(m): 10:35pm On Jan 01, 2019
London2011:
Ekeolere?? Anyone? Or is this just a made up name?

As far as I know, Ekeolere is a Yoruba name, a contracted form of "Eke ko lere. Eke ko lere can be broken than as thus:
Eke - Mischief
ko - does not have
Ere - gain or profit.
So, the name Ekeolere can be interpreted as "Mischief has no (begets no) gain.

Hope your question yes is answered?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Konquest: 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
baby124:

^^^^
^^^^
@baby124

Thanks for your clarification and adding more
meat to the topic. grin

Cc: Efewestern

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Probz(m): 11:56pm On Aug 27, 2019
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
guy! grin

Okoro has something to do with "bitterness" according to the Ekiti version. Urhobos also bear Okoro

: Ogedegbe! In other parts of Yoruba, Ogedengbe with a letter "n" is used.

Itsekiris also use Omatsola, Omawumi etc.
Omosola and Omowumi are the Yoruba
equivalents.

Itsekiri language is classified as Eastern
Yoruboid just like the Ondo state sub groups.

All the best.

And what part of Nigeria is the surname Okoro most commonly assigned?

cc. RedboneSmith

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names By Region by Probz(m): 4:01am On Sep 05, 2019
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
guy! grin

: Ogedegbe! In other parts of Yoruba, Ogedengbe with a letter "n" is used.

Itsekiris also use Omatsola, Omawumi etc.
Omosola and Omowumi are the Yoruba
equivalents.

Itsekiri language is classified as Eastern
Yoruboid just like the Ondo state sub groups.

All the best.

What can you tell me about Ekiti/Ondo names in general? Ayekoloye in particular.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adetunji Becomes 41st Olubadan Of Ibadanland-the Punch / Sultan Of Sokoto Holds Meeting With Christian Leaders In Enugu For Peace & Unity / More Information About Oké Ite Awele And Awele Ụzụ Money Ritual

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.