Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife (8979 Views)

I Regret Not Achieving Everything I Wanted To Do - Governor Ajimobi "Eight Years / Peter Obi: Which Of The Western Governor Have Done These To Other Region-photos / Do Governor Have Authority Over Kings Like Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by tonybank01: 6:26pm On Nov 25, 2017
A question passed to me is that do governor of each state as authority over Oba like ooni of ife, awujale, alafin of oyo, Oba of Benin and other kings in yourba land after they have been crowned as a king

1 Share

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by nwabobo: 6:28pm On Nov 25, 2017
tonybank01:
A question passed to me is that do governor of each state as authority over Oba like ooni of ife, awujale, alafin of oyo, Oba of Benin and other kings in yourba land after they have been crowned as a king

Yes, they do. Sultan of Sokoto, Ibrahim Dasuki was deposed by the government.

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by AntiWailer: 6:28pm On Nov 25, 2017
Yep
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by vickvan(m): 6:32pm On Nov 25, 2017
They actually do.
Please check my signature.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by Stooi76(m): 6:36pm On Nov 25, 2017
Yes, because is the governor that will present them with the staff of office.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by efighter: 8:06pm On Nov 25, 2017
All traditional rulers are under the control of Local Government Chairmen.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 8:08pm On Nov 25, 2017
efighter:
All traditional rulers are under the control of Local Government Chairmen.
Because Ajimobi says so? Or you have a source for that?
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by Amarabae(f): 8:08pm On Nov 25, 2017
Even a local government chairman has constitutional power over any king in his domain.

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by Oloripelebe: 8:08pm On Nov 25, 2017
Yes
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2017
Amarabae:
Even a local government chairman has constitutional power over any king in his domain.
Do you have any reference for this claim.

How do you define "power over" what does that mean exactly?
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by OlujobaSamuel: 10:36pm On Nov 25, 2017
Amarabae:
nope according to dignitary protocols, kings are ahead of lga chairman, however they are subject to power of the commissioner for local govt and chieftancy affairs.
@op, yes, a governor can remove any king within his state or query or summon him without an explanation, eg, constituted authority 1 of Oyo Land.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 10:39pm On Nov 25, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

nope according to dignitary protocols, kings are ahead of lga chairman, however they are subject to power of the commissioner for local govt and chieftancy affairs.
@op, yes, a governor can remove any king within his state or query or summon him without an explanation, eg, constituted authority 1 of Oyo Land.
Remove without explanation

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by MayorofLagos(m): 10:43pm On Nov 25, 2017
Amarabae:

Not true in Yorubaland, maybe elsewhere.

An Oba's domain can overlap into two or more LGAs. Only the Governor of a state has the power. When creating states the Obas are consulted to make sure the boundary respect their customary authority and they do not end up under two Governors.

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by Amarabae(f): 10:44pm On Nov 25, 2017
MayorofLagos:

An Oba's domain can overlap into two or more LGAs. Only the Governor of a state has the power. When creating states the Obas are consulted to make sure the boundary respect their customary authority and they do not end up under two Governors.
okay.
Noted
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by MayorofLagos(m): 10:45pm On Nov 25, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by ped21: 10:45pm On Nov 25, 2017
governors appoint obas..

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by MayorofLagos(m): 10:48pm On Nov 25, 2017
Amarabae:
okay.
Noted

I was reading one of your posts other day. You are a determined woman to stand strong against ipob attacks and I applaud you. You also contribute very intelligently. Please keep it up. Nice!
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 10:49pm On Nov 25, 2017
MayorofLagos:

There is nothing like Yorubaland in law. Every state is separate and they all have separate and different laws.
I do not know the details of the laws but I heard Ajimobi's recent interview and will find time to research it.

I think you are just speculating. Oba being consulted when states are created is a tangential point.There is boundary dispute with almost every state

2 Likes

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 10:50pm On Nov 25, 2017
MayorofLagos:

I was reading one of your posts other day. You are a determined woman to stand strong against ipob attacks and I applaud you. You also contribute very intelligently. Please keep it up. Nice!
Iranu Abasha
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by OlujobaSamuel: 10:51pm On Nov 25, 2017
aribisala0:

Remove without explanation
yes, when the explanation doesnt invalidates the removal in law, then I think I'm on point to use the word remove without an explanation.
Governor can depose a king for just any reason, na only noise for town we go hear, declare curfew if noise too much, when they don calm, lift the curfew make everyone dey enjoy again.
Oba cant sue the govt as to removal, most suit in respect to stools are about who is entitled to be the crowned king based on ranking or lineage.
NB: Dasuki; sultan of sokoto. Will try check if there is any king deposed and was restored through law, for now, i cant remember one.
cc: Mayoroflagos

2 Likes

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by yarimo(m): 1:13am On Nov 26, 2017
nwabobo:

Yes, they do. Sultan of Sokoto, Ibrahim Dasuki was deposed by the government.
DASUKI was deposed by a president and not a governor, a governor from another state don't have authority to another king of another state.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by MayorofLagos(m): 1:45am On Nov 26, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

yes, when the explanation doesnt invalidates the removal in law, then I think I'm on point to use the word remove without an explanation.
Governor can depose a king for just any reason, na only noise for town we go hear, declare curfew if noise too much, when they don calm, lift the curfew make everyone dey enjoy again.
Oba cant sue the govt as to removal, most suit in respect to stools are about who is entitled to be the crowned king based on ranking or lineage.
NB: Dasuki; sultan of sokoto. Will try check if there is any king deposed and was restored through law, for now, i cant remember one.

In pre-colonial Yorubaland the kingmakers can send a parrot egg or covered calabash to a sitting King and depose him at will....they still have to give a cogent explanation to the subjects.

The Oba council protect one another against government excesses and if a Governor should dare remove an Oba without due reason they will use the grassroot to make the state ungovernable for such person. If an excess goes unchecked they never know whose turn it would be next to be deposed....so the Governors know how to act in power sharing with the Oba councils.

Im only speaking forYorubaland, dont know how itbis played elsewhere.

**if i may add, an erring Oba is first regerred to the cohncil for correction. If correction is not taken, a mediation process is used to admonish and set things right. So there are step processes the Governor must use before taking an Oba's Staff of Office from him.**
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by ped21: 8:02am On Nov 26, 2017
coolbc
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by nwabobo: 8:07am On Nov 26, 2017
yarimo:
DASUKI was deposed by a president and not a governor, a governor from another state don't have authority to another king of another state.

Sultan of Sokoto was deposed by the governor of a Sokoto albeit under the order of Abacha.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by OlujobaSamuel: 8:24am On Nov 26, 2017
MayorofLagos:

In pre-colonial Yorubaland the kingmakers can send a parrot egg or covered calabash to a sitting King and depose him at will....they still have to give a cogent explanation to the subjects.

The Oba council protect one another against government excesses and if a Governor should dare remove an Oba without due reason they will use the grassroot to make the state ungovernable for such person. If an excess goes unchecked they never know whose turn it would be next to be deposed....so the Governors know how to act in power sharing with the Oba councils.

**if i may add, an erring Oba is first regerred to the cohncil for correction. If correction is not taken, a mediation process is used to admonish and set things right. So there are step processes the Governor must use before taking an Oba's Staff of Office from him.**
I'm also a yoruba, from Osun, I'm talking about the power of the governor over a king, I know there might be consequence for whatsoever action the governor decides on, however, there is no legal basis to invalidate such action, irrespective of how foolish it is, the op raised issues of legality and not morals(my view).
On oba in council, they tried removing the monarch in ikire sometimes ago due to conflict of religious belief, the government(Oyinlola regime) came to the rescue of the king, got him another apartment, pending when the burnt one was rebuilt, decleared curfew for weeks pending when the town was restored to normalcy.
Till date, the king is still there, while he still never accepted the oba in council conditions.

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 8:54am On Nov 26, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

I think you are talking nonsense.

Dasuki was removed by a military government. And yes government often acts lawlessly but the idea that that you can remove without explanation is foolish.I do not need to debate that.
Oba cant sue as to removal? Why not?

Was Jokolo not removed as Emir did he not sue.Did the Appealcourt not reinstate him? The case isnowwith the Supreme court

You don't know,
and don't know you lack knowledge but you think you know everything
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by ODVanguard: 9:10am On Nov 26, 2017
aribisala0:

Dasuki was removed by a military government. And yes government often acts lawlessly but the idea that that you can remove without explanation is foolish.I do not need to debate that.

Was Jokolo not removed as Emir did he not sue.Did the Appealcourt not reinstate him? The case isnowwith the Supreme court

You don't know,

You are correct. A sitting governor can dethrone a monarch but he must justify his reasons in accordance with due process. To buttress your position, the late former governor of Ogun, Olabisi Onabanjo, once dethroned the Awujale (the current one), but the decision was reversed some years later by the courts.

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 9:16am On Nov 26, 2017
ODVanguard:

You are correct. A sitting governor can dethrone a monarch but he must justify his reasons in accordance with due process. To buttress your position, the late former governor of Ogun, Olabisi Onabanjo, once dethroned the Awujale (the current one), but the decision was reversed some years later by the courts.

On Friday, May 4, 1984, Justice Kolawole delivered his judgment. His Lordship found that there was: “so much indecent haste on the part of Government to depose the plaintiff that it overlooked so many fundamental issues…in its haste to have the plaintiff deposed, it overlooked to give any reason for the plaintiff’s deposition.” His Lordship therefore declared that the decision of His Excellency to depose His Royal Majesty was null and void.

1 Like

Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by OlujobaSamuel: 9:16am On Nov 26, 2017
aribisala0:

You don't know,
Can you at least calm yourself and read, I never at any point claim absolute knowledge on any subject, this inclusive.
I said I will check through because I've not seen, I saw the case you cited now, there was a breach of the state law on chieftancy issues, in as much as we have this law in all state, you cant say the contents are all the same, so also the removal clause cant be the same.
Kindly note, no absolute knowlege in law, it's all about how you table your case.
Thanks.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 9:20am On Nov 26, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

Can you at least calm yourself and read, I never at any point claim absolute knowledge on any subject, this inclusive.
I said I will check through because I've not seen, I saw the case you cited now, there was a breach of the state law on chieftancy issues, in as much as we have this law in all state, you cant say the contents are all the same, so also the removal clause cant be the same.
Kindly note, no absolute knowlege in law, it's all about how you table your case.
Thanks.
With respect, you have ZERO knowledge on the subject.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by OlujobaSamuel: 9:24am On Nov 26, 2017
@aribisala0, i dont know how you took the phrase *without explanation, we have so many foolish rulers(governors) and most times, personal beef determines action, sometimes they go miles to use the legislators to approve such powers through laws.
Re: Do Governor Have Authority Over Oba Like Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 9:25am On Nov 26, 2017
MayorofLagos:

There really is NOTHING like Yoruba land.
That is why the term EMPIRE is used for Oyo

Allaafin was an Emperor not an Oba

The Oyo custom is different from the Ekiti or the Ijebus and so on. In fact even the terminology Oba is quite new or alien to many.

Some kingdoms are relatively young with unclear traditionswhile others are centuries old.The Ekiti and Ondo have so much in common with Bini

While Ijebus have different traditions with regard to kingship but also many other thngs e.g Ijebu did not circumcise their females

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Are The Hausas? / APC Announces Date For Osun Governorship Primary Election, Pegs Form At ₦22.5m / How Can I Join A Political Party?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.