Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? (22601 Views)

Ten Pictures That Were Taken At The Right Time / Wes Verification Request For Master Degree In Unilag / 2018/2019 Futminna Postgraduate (master's Degree Program ) Discussion Thread. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by DanielsParker(m): 7:38am On Nov 30, 2017
once you have enough funds and jobs aren't coming through, you should do your masters. the earlier the better.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by bobolizim(m): 7:38am On Nov 30, 2017
wink2015:

Is Masters degree still relevant in this present hardship soaked Nigeria.

Bsc/HND degree Holder are still struggling to find gainful employment years after their graduation.

Where will they get the money to even fund a masters degree or an MBA/MSC Degree when there is no job to sustain the funding of such a degree.
you need to be asked why did you get educated in the first place ? You had better yourself to become a slave ?
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by DaudaAbu(m): 7:39am On Nov 30, 2017
The moment you start enjoying the benefit of your first degree

Or when job is not forthcoming

4 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by AntiWailer: 7:40am On Nov 30, 2017
bobolizim:
myopic man... Don't arrive at such conclusion cause of your own predicament. A lady who's not that brilliant perse secured employment with shell in my school just after her msc . One of the things that helped her was her thesis ....

Her first degree thesis could have helped too. It makes no difference.

U can go and have a PhD. The general labour market will not look at ur face.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by bobolizim(m): 7:42am On Nov 30, 2017
HushTee:

Yes oh, that's true. If your course is a really wide one, you may have to specialize and go for your masters immediately. Although, most times, if you dont want to go into academics, it makes a lot of sense to just go work, and come back for masters after professional experience
yes bro. It's just that our society has changed over time , many go for their masters today cause of unemployed or underemployment. It wasn't the case in the past .... People used to do well with their first degree and even now. I told a friend that if one gets lucky to find a good job after bsc , you may be begged to do msc,

There are two men that studied geology and now into geotechnical engineering in Lagos . They're now millionaires .... They only have bsc ... But keep it in mind that you can't register your company as a consultant without having msc .

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by oxaxcool(m): 7:42am On Nov 30, 2017
Booked
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by tobillionaire(m): 7:43am On Nov 30, 2017
pls wats MSC duration fr Bsc and HND respectively
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by bobolizim(m): 7:44am On Nov 30, 2017
AntiWailer:

Her first degree thesis could have helped too. It makes no difference.

U can go and have a PhD. The general labour market will not look at ur face.
the same attitude you have is the same reason why most people are jobless and poor here in this country. You're supposed to get educated to create solutions to problems . Many just keep running the rat race ....
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 7:45am On Nov 30, 2017
wink2015:

Is Masters degree still relevant in this present hardship soaked Nigeria.

Bsc/HND degree Holder are still struggling to find gainful employment years after their graduation.

Where will they get the money to even fund a masters degree or an MBA/MSC Degree when there is no job to sustain the funding of such a degree.

Graduates with good grades are encouraged to apply for scholarships and fundings. Even graduates with grades that aren't super could also apply, particularly if it is a rare field of study.
The question of where they'll get money is the reason I looked at the other side - Going for masters afterlater in life. They may choose to make some money before applying
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 7:50am On Nov 30, 2017
tobillionaire:
pls wats MSC duration fr Bsc and HND respectively

The period for MSc Varies by institution, but the least you can get is 1year (in Unilag).
However, in University of Ibadan (The best postgraduate school in Nigeria), we run a Masters degree of at least 18months, and you can be sure to finish after 18months, depending on how serious a student is. Some departments however run a minimum of 2years, particularly if it's a professional course like Social Works

For an HND graduate, you would first need to have apply for PGD (Post Graduate Diploma), and it runs for one year, then you can go ahead to apply for Masters. Some departments also take HND graduates into MSC directly without PGD. It's best ypu consult the prospectus for more details.

I would like to think this is the same for most postgraduate schools in Nigerian Universities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Heartbender: 7:52am On Nov 30, 2017
My dear, I fall in the category of the second. What happened in my undergrad days won't repeat itself meeehhhn
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 30, 2017
I will like to do my masters after school when my brain is still hot and fresh. I need that masters for my dream job.

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 7:56am On Nov 30, 2017
AntiWailer:
Any time you feel like and you can afford it.

In Nigeria labor market, it makes no difference except you want to become a lecturer.

I did mine more than 7 years after my first degree.

I will never pay for any child's Masters. Once you are done with your first degree Go and make your money and study further if you want to.

Well, there are some people who still have this idea. It's different strokes for different folks. Some parents desire to pay but don't have, some have, but won't pay. The first thing to know is "Is the child interested in Masters?"
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 30, 2017
The right time to do your master's degree is when you've completed your first degree, you're working and have a clear sense of how you want your career to progress. This means you have some experience and can kick on from there to progress in your career.

Doing a masters straight after bachelors has its advantages but you have virtually no work experience, and are overqualified for entry level jobs. This is something to think about..

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 7:57am On Nov 30, 2017
DaudaAbu:
The moment you start enjoying the benefit of your first degree

Or when job is not forthcoming

Really true. These are other sides of the coin
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 30, 2017
HushTee:

The period for MSc Varies by institution, but the least you can get is 1year (in Unilag).
However, in University of Ibadan (The best postgraduate school in Nigeria), we run a Masters degree of at least 18months, and you can be sure to finish after 18months, depending on how serious a student is. Some departments however run a minimum of 2years, particularly if it's a professional course like Social Works

For an HND graduate, you would first need to have apply for PGD (Post Graduate Diploma), and it runs for one year, then you can go ahead to apply for Masters. Some departments also take HND graduates into MSC directly without PGD. It's best ypu consult the prospectus for more details.

I would like to think this is the same for most postgraduate schools in Nigerian Universities
What of the one for part time students? Also how long is masters in economics for part time students?

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 7:59am On Nov 30, 2017
Sambest2:
I believe there should be a little full-time work experience before acquiring M.Sc, so say 1-3 years after first degree(NYSC covered) but in our "beloved Nigeria", you need the M.Sc for competitive advantage over B.Sc holders, smh..

It's a shame Nigeria has dropped to that lowpoint. However, it still doesn't take away the part where we can do our Masters immediately, particularly in a science-based course
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by PenPrince07: 8:01am On Nov 30, 2017
This is the point I'm at right now. Already applied for M.A in my school but I am thinking of leaving it!
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 8:04am On Nov 30, 2017
acme6:
What of the one for part time students? Also how long is economics masters?

Economic masters I have no idea what that means, I only know Academic masters which is usually for people who want to end up as researchers and lecturers, and Professional masters which is usually for people who just need to upgrade their job rank and quality. Although, generally, in Nigeria, most people do Academic masters, except the course is strictly a professional masters course.
In some countries abroad, you also have MRes (Masters in Research)

For parttime students, I don't think you can spend less than 2years on a masters degree. But in UI, we have parttime masters for an extremely few number of courses, but it's available for PhD degree
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Michael004: 8:06am On Nov 30, 2017
Professional courses all the way.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Tonytonic(m): 8:06am On Nov 30, 2017
I started mine when I was earning 18k monthly.paid for the form for 10k and aptitude test fee 5k.its about the mind and where u see urself in the future.just take a step.

5 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 8:08am On Nov 30, 2017
valentineuwakwe:
this is my best advice to you...dont rush because your classmates have bought masters form....and dont use your NYSC savings to venture into it immediately...after you have been gainfully employed with your first degree, then you can go for it

I don't totally agree, I think it's different strokes for different folks, and determination. One of my best friends used his NYSC savings, and he got a very very small paying job, he's been shuttling between both, and he'll be rounding up his masters soon. I think determination, grace, and favour, plays a big role.
Although, I'll agree that one should not buy because his/her classmates are buying, infact, in Nigeria, the minimum requirements for civil service, and many other private entities is BSc, because they'll still have to train you on their job
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:12am On Nov 30, 2017
HushTee:

I don't totally agree, I think it's different strokes for different folks, and determination. One of my best friends used his NYSC savings, and he got a very very small paying job, he's been shuttling between both, and he'll be rounding up his masters soon. I think determination, grace, and favour, plays a big role.
Although, I'll agree that one should not buy because his/her classmates are buying, infact, in Nigeria, the minimum requirements for civil service, and many other private entities is BSc, because they'll still have to train you on their job

thank God you said he got a job...no matter how small it is....the point am against is that you have no source of income after your NYSC and you want to venture into doing master's programme...or you think determination can strive where there is no fund? n.a. hungry go first wire you for campus or you think Angel will come and pay for your fees and upkeep in school again?

3 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Sanctus1(m): 8:13am On Nov 30, 2017
what about going for a second bachelor’s degree?
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by HushTee(m): 8:16am On Nov 30, 2017
PenPrince07:
This is the point I'm at right now. Already applied for M.A in my school but I am thinking of leaving it!

I'm sorry about this. Please read my article on this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/4194794/8-good-reasons-go-graduate

or on my website below
http://scholarpreneurs.com/reasons-to-go-to-graduate-school/

This may help you in finding motivation to continue

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by fakxon(m): 8:21am On Nov 30, 2017
When you make money you enjoy your Master class....
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by ICaSNg(f): 8:23am On Nov 30, 2017
Making a decision on further studies in the diaspora?

Republic of Ireland now giving 2 -5 years work permit for 1 year masters program and thereafter indefinite leave to remain permanently in the Country.
With lots of job opportunities in ICT , Finance and Engineering , Ireland is the next big thing to explore.

Alert :::Tuition is similar to the UKs however, there is no longer work permit in the UK so secure your future wisely.

Follow thread on : https://www.nairaland.com/4056995/general-irish-student-visa-work
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Naughtytboy: 8:23am On Nov 30, 2017
QuietHammer:
They'll soon be here to say it's a waste of time.
It a waste of time.. You can earn more when you use your talent. Book na just paper.. What you can offer the world matters
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by Naughtytboy: 8:24am On Nov 30, 2017
ICaSNg:
Making a decision on further studies in the diaspora?

Republic of Ireland now giving 2 -5 years work permit for 1 year masters program and thereafter indefinite leave to remain permanently in the Country.
With lots of job opportunities in ICT , Finance and Engineering , Ireland is the next big thing to explore.

Alert :::Tuition is similar to the UKs however, there is no longer work permit in the UK so secure your future wisely.

Follow thread on : https://www.nairaland.com/4056995/general-irish-student-visa-work

Can you help me out of this country? I can do any job to survive,, tired of this country
Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by AntiWailer: 8:26am On Nov 30, 2017
bobolizim:
the same attitude you have is the same reason why most people are jobless and poor here in this country. You're supposed to get educated to create solutions to problems . Many just keep running the rat race ....

Kiddo, you know nothing.

You can choose to become a Professor before you are productive.

What we are saying is that with your first degree you are good to go.

If you can't make it with your first degree, Second or Third degree won't help your mentality either.

I can tell you that from experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by chloride6: 8:37am On Nov 30, 2017
bobolizim:
you can't be wealthy and be talking this way. The rich make sure they establish their wards before they leave them to thrive on their own.

How is Masters establishment?

This Masters thing is funny sef....

Person go school for like 16 years....

You come talk say na that extra 1 year go make am know something grin grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? by TonyCizzy(m): 8:44am On Nov 30, 2017
nNEOo:

Why is that married woman looking at Drake

Cos Drake Nah Sure Boi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OAU Spends N80m On Electricity & N2m On Diesel Every Month / Has Anyone Ever Lost Their Original Waec Certificate? / Is Sociology A Nice Course To Study In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.