Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Survival Tips For NYSC Camp - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Survival Tips For NYSC Camp (13877 Views)

What Are These Pregnant Women Doing In NYSC Camp(pic) / Can Anyone In NYSC Camp Confirm The Payment Of N38,900 Alawee? / Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by McDreamy: 2:45pm On Feb 24, 2007
Hello All,

I will be going for the mandatory one year service come March 2007. Well, the year starts with a 3-week boot camp.

Please I would like to know how to survive this period as I have heard a lot about camp and I really dread it.

Any tips on survival would be welcome, things to take along, things not to take along, people to avoid etc

Past, Present Corpers are welcome to comment.

Corper shun!!!

PS - I don't know where I am going yet but am hoping for the best!
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by davou4eva(m): 6:33pm On Feb 24, 2007
when will the camp be open for orietation and i also heard that the nysc stuff is now thrice a year, that is , march, june and september. is that true and can someone give me nysc website
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Radiant(f): 6:45pm On Feb 24, 2007
As for the 3 chances per year, that is true 'cause I have a friend who can't make it for the March batch and is contemplating on going with the June or September batch. smiley

@Dreamy, I've never done that so I can't tell the experiences
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by McDreamy: 6:54pm On Feb 24, 2007
Camp opens for orientation, March 6.

About the 3ce a year thingy, i am not sure its true. A friend who has an uncle in NYSC says he said it aint true but this is Nigeria and anything can happen.

@Radiant, thanks
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by jjuummaaii(f): 7:05pm On Feb 24, 2007
dont pack too much baggages ( just ur sleepin cloths will do and a few change overs in case u need to go to town.)
u may decide to go with extra white t-shirts and shorts (optional) cos u'll be kitted
Go with ur toiletries or money to buy them there.
Most camps usually sell buckets so u may buy them there too.

On the first day be prepared to carry ur load on ur head and do frog jump but just take it lightly cos if u try to argue with the soldiers they'll get infuriated and purnish u more.
mornin call is bet 5am&6am, u'll get used to it before the end of 1st week.
some how by the end of the 2nd week all the soldiers gra gra would hav cooled down so u'll get along some how.
its fun cos u'll get too meet loads of pple and some pple u knew before maybe in sec or pry sch, if u are a girl u might get invovled in Volleyball and a guy with football games that way u'll let off the steam of all the matching hurdles.

This is just a summary of how I managed mine n i guess had no stress  at the end of the day.
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by olawa20(m): 7:19pm On Feb 24, 2007
take a few change of clothes. these days they sometimes have problem with kits and you might have to wear personal clothes for a few days.
go with your white vest/shots especially the vest, what you'll get in camp will get slack fast
try to go with as few things as possible; a load can be a burden
you'll also need a waist-bag to keep your stuffs in them a bag may not be allowed on the parade ground

do have fun. you'll probably hate the first few days but by the end of the week you''ll get used to the routine. and be very ready and open to meet friends, you'll enjoy nothing better

no amount is too much. you might not like the food that will be served, but it's always passable anyway
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Idrizzle(m): 7:27pm On Feb 24, 2007
Hi guys!
all i can say about NYSC camp is (Now.Your.Suffering.Continues) , just kidding though but there's alot of truth in that statement.
respect the soldiers(platoon commanders & all that) 1 advice
be prepared 4 a crazy,hectic registration process,
i must warn u the food ain't perfect though, so bring a couple of provs
be ready 2 jog every morning
look forward 2 endurance trek & the welcoming party
as well as burn-fire night,
take enuff white t-shrts with u as well as cool white shorts(combat)
a waist bag 4 ur money(u need enuff money),phone & stufffs,torch-light as well
also look out 4 mammy market(the fun zone)
be prepared 2 frog jump for no reason at times
snapp enuff pix 4 shizzle
make good frnds & connections
pray 4 a good state & a good orientation camp as well
most importantly be prayerful, vigilant & the rest is history,
i can assure u when u leave camp u wld want 2 go back cos the memories r fun.
best wishes &
sorry this is sooo long but it brought back good old memories so i was glad 2 be of help
cheers!!!!
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 24, 2007
hope u dont have a delicate stomach wink
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by babadee(m): 11:33pm On Feb 24, 2007
Here's the best advice you can ever get!!!
Go with loads of money because with it, you can solve all problems, from registration to dodging to feeding and all that!!!
good luck!!!
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by hammah(m): 12:04am On Feb 25, 2007
Throw away FEAR!get ready for anything.BE PREPARED!It's such an easy tone, not necessarily involving as you can fake illness.cheers.
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by creamdream: 12:44am On Feb 25, 2007
oh man!! na wa o!!, the mattter big o
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by McDreamy: 12:53am On Feb 25, 2007
salsera:

hope u don't have a delicate stomach wink

@salsera, meeeennnn! I have a very delicate stomach o! How i go do?

babadee:

Here's the best advice you can ever get!!!
Go with loads of money because with it, you can solve all problems, from registration to dodging to feeding and all that!!!
good luck!!!

I have heard that a lot, please how much is LOADS OF MONEY??
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Nobody: 1:44am On Feb 25, 2007
McDreamy:

@salsera, meeeennnn! I have a very delicate stomach o! How i go do?

I have heard that a lot, please how much is LOADS OF MONEY??

Loads of money depends on you.
You might need to adjust your khaki (mine was three sizes bigger grin grin grin)
You'll also need to buy food twice or even three times a day, if your stomach is really sensitive. I served in Gombe and I had to eat in mammy twice daily (mammy food aint the best, just better than camp food).
You'll need to buy bucket in mammy.
Go with your camera.
Waist bag is a must.
Go with some provisions.
Make friends with the camp soldiers,they are useful.
If you serve in the North,local gvt.secretariat is a good place to do your primary assignment(they'll pay you for doing nothing and you can travel anytime,if you have a good CLO).
Good luck!!!
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Tmoni(m): 1:59am On Feb 25, 2007
CORPER SHUN grin
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Uche2nna(m): 8:52am On Feb 25, 2007
Just go there and enjoy urself. Dont come with any notions or else U will be highly disappointed. Come prepared for the worse and I assure U that U will enjoy urself. The food is definitely not wat U will be used to but hey it is just for 3 weeks. As for the soldiers, well i guess it depends on the state the soldiers came from. I served in Ondo State and the soldiers in our camp were very friendly. They made sure we kept the rules but that was it.No unnecessary wahala from them. Be open to meet people from other culture and religion.Once the initial suscipicion wears away U will find out that there is no big difference amongst the difference tribes. We all enjoyed the same jokes, played the same games and pranks and even chased the same babes shocked
Anyway, we so much enjoyed ourselves that when we were leaving for our places of primary assignment there were tears in 80% of the corp members.
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by hotangel2(f): 9:39am On Feb 25, 2007
candy:

Loads of money depends on you.
You'll also need to buy food twice or even three times a day, if your stomach is really sensitive. I served in Gombe and I had to eat in mammy twice daily (mammy food aint the best, just better than camp food).

what set did you serve with if you don't mind me asking,

Ohh nooo, i was never a copper, i just Knew A lot of them because i lived in Gombe, and our house was basically secretariat number two. . . lol (well to most coppers. . )

---
Anyways, Replying to the topic at hand.

I Want to assure you that you will not like the first 3-4 days, if not first week. But if you are open minded, i guarantee you will LOVE camp. 
Just go with enough white tees, and money. I don't know how much enough is, but consider the fact that you will need to buy some things.
You might want to buy mosquito coil too. Mobil, raid and all that don't work all the time oo.
Another thing that most coppers come to get from our house durring camp week is "kankara". Ohh the memories of tying water in bags so that they'll pick em up in the morning. "ICE BLOCKS", you will probably need to buy alot of that.
Carry your own rechargeable lamp.
Be ready to meet people that will annoy you.

If you serve in the North, Please please please, drink NUNU!!! And im sure the first hausa phrase you will learn as a guy is "ina son ki".  Ohh trust me, all those coppers know what that is.

I also want to add that, BUY a camera. You wont regret taking Pictures. Forget if your face no fine for the photo, the memories will bring a smile to your face, later on in life. wink smiley
And ermm, *coughs*, take it easy with all them ladies oo. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by tady: 10:08am On Feb 25, 2007
i dont even feel like goin for camp isnt there any way of dodging it
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Genial(m): 3:50pm On Feb 25, 2007
hot-angel:

Ohh nooo, i was never a copper, i just Knew A lot of them because i lived in Gombe, and our house was basically secretariat number two. . . lol (well to most coppers. . )

Lived in Gombe, huh? Were you there in 2002?
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by hotangel2(f): 6:48pm On Feb 25, 2007
Genial:

Lived in Gombe, huh? Were you there in 2002?
Yes i was. Did you also serve in Gombe??
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Uche2nna(m): 7:28pm On Feb 25, 2007
hot-angel:

---
Anyways, Replying to the topic at hand.

I Want to assure you that you will not like the first 3-4 days, if not first week. But if you are open minded, i guarantee you will LOVE camp.
Just go with enough white tees, and money. I don't know how much enough is, but consider the fact that you will need to buy some things.
You might want to buy mosquito coil too. Mobil, raid and all that don't work all the time oo.
Another thing that most coppers come to get from our house durring camp week is "kankara". Ohh the memories of tying water in bags so that they'll pick em up in the morning. "ICE BLOCKS", you will probably need to buy alot of that.
Carry your own rechargeable lamp.
Be ready to meet people that will annoy you.

If you serve in the North, Please please please, drink NUNU!!! And im sure the first hausa phrase you will learn as a guy is "ina son ki". Ohh trust me, all those coppers know what that is.

I also want to add that, BUY a camera. You wont regret taking Pictures. Forget if your face no fine for the photo, the memories will bring a smile to your face, later on in life. wink smiley
And ermm, *coughs*, take it easy with all them ladies oo. cheesy
grin grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Nobody: 2:09am On Feb 26, 2007
hot-angel:

what set did you serve with if you don't mind me asking, Ohh nooo, i was never a copper, i just Knew A lot of them because i lived in Gombe, and our house was basically secretariat number two. . . lol (well to most coppers. . )

2002. I served in Deba local gvt.secretariat but I visited most local gvts.Where do/did you live in Gombe?

@Genial, did you serve in Gombe?
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by adeyballer(m): 8:13am On Feb 26, 2007
AJUWAYA (As you were)
don't mind them they've turned the grammar upside down.

CORPER SHUN!
Don't make the mistake of getting to the CAMP late, be among the first 100, if you have to travel endeavour to get there a day earlier. Cos that may be ur ticket to a good palce of Primary assignment.

Guy u really have to be prepared, nothing hard really.

Go with just few things, two extra mufty, two white shorts and t-shirts as the ones there might not be usefull.
Provisions too will help, no matter how much U eat it willtell on you that U are been stressed.

U will be woken up by the "biggle" (a trulpet) 4:45am then the soldiers come shouting and harassing at about 5:00am to send yo uto the parade ground, there is no option o, you have to wake up.

Waist bag is very essential as U will need to carry ur money along with U anywhere.

FOOD TIP
The food at the "dinning" is always very good at the beginning (1st week) and there is limited queue so endeavour to save money and eat free food, by the second week when the crowd has increased it begins to get worse.

As 4me I'as at "home" cos I had my clothes washed for me by my brother and brough to camp. You really will be needing money to give to the "any work" people to help U wash ur clothes and the likes of it sometimes to buy water for bathing.

Be nice to ur Platoon comander, and endeavour to always be present at the parade ground.

This and many more U have to be armed with to fight this 3weeks war.

Best of luck

Batch B 2006
Lagos Camp
Curently serving in Zenithbank Plc
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by ObaMan(m): 8:47am On Feb 26, 2007
Man, no be lie u no go wan comot camp on the last day if u are prepared to enjoy urself.
Its not like its the bomb but it occurs only once in one's lifetime.
There are free chics,
sometimes free booze, (like in Lagos and environment)
sometimes good food too,
and then dont forget there is a life after camp.
Just do the right thing, dont get into trouble.
U gonna pass it on to others
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 26, 2007
1stly ----Make sure you take passport pictures with you and photocopies of your documents on your first day.

You will need loads of money about 10k I would say because you need to pay for everything. Fetching water, staples, even tipexing your forms if you make mistakes, charging your phone battery.

Go with padlocks, white tshirts and shorts, carry slippers with u definetely, plates, fork and spoon and a plastic for carrying food in to keep for later, face cap for the first day cause u will be under the sun a lot, pillow if possible cause they dont give u any, bucket and pail, then copies of ur CV in case any company comes to recruit people so you can just give it to the reps,
Thats all the important stuff I can think of for now.
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by jydagirl(f): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2007
if u be guy,sorry not to much advice except get there a day before camp,lodge in a "cheap" motel and hurry to camp early nxt day for your registraation number.Mahe friends with as much nysc officials as you can and make them remember u,buy them things as well but don't over do it.this is the first step in getting them to work your posting to town.
if u be babe, i get 2 advice 4 u:
1. if u r vry fine,contest for miss camp.most contestants are posted to town.if u no fine,sorry o!
2. if u have 2 ears,DON'T DATE ANY OF THOSE SILLY UGLY BRUTISH SOLDIERS.THEY ARE THE LOWEST OF SCUMS AND PLS PLS PLS,DON'T FALL FOR THE CAMP COMMANDANT!
good luck and no bring disease home.
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by uchetobi(f): 11:28am On Feb 26, 2007
Thanks Y’all for all the responses so far
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by DewDrop(f): 12:12pm On Feb 26, 2007
Are you a foreign student? Or you really are hoping for the best possible posting? I was posted to Lagos & I had a blast in camp,  but i in hindsight can admit that I mght have been what they called "ghost corper" grin LoL i wasn't in the kit completely- ever. Chilled in mammy market, guiness stand, and went off camp for for food all the time, clubbing on weekends. I don't think i ever made it to that parade ground before 7am. Haha

But i know people in the same camp whose experience was the total opposite.
I know i had a good outlook about the whole 3 weeks,  i kept in mind that the (terrible) conditions etc werent created specially to torment me and that we were all going through it so i just dealt the best i could,

It helped that the matron/security got decamped after pulling a girl down the stairs. 2005, Batch B Lagos camp was madd!! Rechargable will be necessary, Loads of white tees, white shorts (money, as much as you can afford to bring) everything is avaliable at a 400% markup! (10 naira to tipex one line or staple - i felt cheated so once or twice i would tipex/staple then hold out a 1000 note. grin lipsrsealed Needless to say, he didnt have change!!) Camp costs!- from getting your uniform (which will not fit) resized to paying 100 bucks each time you want to use the bathroom!!! Get there early but be prepared to wait in queues forEVER! I realized on the second day that even if im th elast, i'll still get registered so i just chilled, met and gisted with people and eventually everything got done (Plus noone questions why you are in muffty for like a week until all were registered)

The people made the time pass very fast. Some of the best people i know now, i met in camp! But beware also of that whole secondary school he-said/she-said bull$h!t,  You'd think people would have grown up by service year,

Anywho, just keep an open mind, and you should have a good time.
The camp is fun compared to the year after, the Local govt visits, CD, Work, etc all sooo stressful, so again, i urge you to enjoy the 3 weeks because after that, it's no joke!
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by ObaMan(m): 12:17pm On Feb 26, 2007
Is UcheTobi going for service too? shocked
Try work ur service to NAIRALAND. grin

anyways, all the gals wen dey go service now, no let soldier arrange u o.
Dem no get levels, Them go promise u heaven and earth but them go post u go school.
Although them get big THINGS.

Bois, no be everytime una go enter parade, if u get levels, abeg try do 20/6 for MAMMY,
u go no wan leave camp.

LAGOS CAMP was swell, we mean it.

E go be !!! cheesy
@ DEWDROP,
WHICH PLATOON WERE U AT, mi was P5,
where u dey serve?
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by uchetobi(f): 12:28pm On Feb 26, 2007
Yes o! am going for camp and I have a good job already. Pls tell me how I can manage my job and the service year together
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by DewDrop(f): 12:42pm On Feb 26, 2007
ObaMan- i was in platoon 2. Yea, the platoon that did the least and scored th eleast in any competition,   grin hehehe grin I'm @ PwC. which LG r u in?

UcheTobi- Ahhh,  does your job know you are going 4 NYSC? if so, then they will give you your CD days but you have to know within yourself how much responsibility you have to manage and if you can do it while missing CD days and General CD days. To make it easy for you, first find out which CD groups are held on Fridays in your local government, and in camp, join that group so that once a month you can combine your gereral CD with regular CD. A friend of mine continued with the same company through her service year and she works even on her CD days and its rough, she's not seen as a corper (except for payroll purposes) and she's worked HARD! so talk to your oga and explain what your picking up in addition to your job there as per NYSC responsibilities. AND they are getting tough in my LG- 2 people I know in Batch A got their service periods extended for not doing CD. So think it over and if you must get poste dto some school and resume your job after, do what u gotta, because so far, the most stress has been after camp!
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by Nobody: 2:07pm On Feb 26, 2007
Hello, congrats on your youth service. Am presently serving in Lagos(Bath B 2006) and i can assure you its the best state to serve in the whole of Nigeria. Camp is so interesting and of course no rigorous exercises because its lagos, the camp is so small and there were so many people. The most stressful part was the registration becos of the number of people but after that it was fun all the way. Most definitely you wake up at 5.30, but all you do is go to the parade ground and dance to a few man o war songs, most people got fatter on camp.And majority of corp members were coming from home especially the foreign ones. Then the fun at camp was the bomb, I remember guinness stand every nite and all the artists that came to entertain us;Azadus, Genie, klint the drunk etc. It was a party for us every night. Our endurance trek was so short that we were begging for more, i went home about three times during camp and ofcourse its a nice place to look for a partner in case you are looking for one.But my advise is that you are loaded with a lot of money especially as a guy, don't try dining food cos the day i ate it i used the toilet for 2 days so always eat from the mammy market, get ready to pay for everything including charging your phone, using a stapler or tipex and so on. Then i can assure you any work would be ready to do all the work for you so u don't have to lift a finger,but get your money ready.Take baffs because they would come in handy esp at variety nite and camp fire nite. Dont pack too much load and take your slang bag because it would be your life on camp thats were u will keep your money, phones, keys and other impt stuffs. I assure you u will have fun and towards the end you wont feel like living, I still get to miss camp once in a while. No matter where you are posted to, the most important of all is that you make good connections on camp so you can be posted to a good place and then you can enjoy the whole of the service year. All the best.
Re: Survival Tips For NYSC Camp by hotangel2(f): 4:06pm On Feb 26, 2007
candy:

2002. I served in Deba local gvt.secretariat but I visited most local gvts.Where do/did you live in Gombe?

Interesting, well of course i know Deba. lol, I Lived in Gombe, as in the Capital itself.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unpaid Nysc Allowance / 5 Things You Can Engage In During Your Service Year / Delta Corpers Embark On Environmental Sanitation (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.