Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,720 members, 7,805,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? (22727 Views)

Buhari Refers To Ibrahim Usman Jibrin As ‘Your Highness’ At FEC / PDP Refers Adams Oshiomhole As Factional APC Chairman At Jonathan's Book Launch / EFCC Refers To ICPC As "Introvert" When It Comes To Fighting Corruption - Reacti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by GuidoVanRossum: 7:21pm On Nov 30, 2017
It amazes me that almost everyone on here refers to my people as being Yorubas. Is it because of the name "Akoko?".
Please, note that the major languages in Akoko Edo are:
Okpameri
Uneme
Etuno
Ososo
And a very very tiny % of Yorubas.
Akoko-Edo isn't a Yoruba land. Yes, we have Yoruba influence and it shows in our names and all that. But we very different both culturally and in terms of language.

I therefore implore you all to stop calling my people Yorubas.

PS: This does not mean we hate the Yoruba people as they are our brothers in the same geographical contraption called Nigeria.

Mind44, Lalasticlala, please help us educate others.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by ModsWillKillNL: 7:31pm On Nov 30, 2017
Then drop the Akoko nomenclature!

Akoko is a Yoruba word for woodpecker.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Ejanla07: 7:31pm On Nov 30, 2017
if dis reach front page make i bend

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Desyner: 7:40pm On Nov 30, 2017
Cos everything about them is Yoruba. Name, culture, way of life.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by 989900: 7:45pm On Nov 30, 2017
And the 'Akoko Ondos', what are they? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by GuidoVanRossum: 10:23pm On Nov 30, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

Please tell me what's Yoruba here.

The postal code of the area is 312. The towns include Atte, Igarra, Enwan, Aiyegunle, Ugboshi-Afe, Ugboshi-Ele, Ekpesa, Ibillo, Ikiran-Ile, Ikiran oke, Ekor, Somorika, Lampese, Imoga, Ojah, Uneme-Akiosu, Ososo, Akuku, Ojirami-Dam, Imoga, Eshawa, Ojirami-Peteshi, Ojirami-Afe, Dagbala, Makeke, Ekpe, Ekpedo, Bekuma, Okpe, Ogbe, Onumu, Akpama, Anyonron, Ogugu, Ikakumo, Ijaja, Oloma, Uneme-nekua, Ikpesh

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by GuidoVanRossum: 10:25pm On Nov 30, 2017
989900:
And the 'Akoko Ondos', what are they? undecided

The Akoko Ondos may be Yoruba. But the Akoko edos aren't Yoruba in language and culture

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by proudlyYoruba(m): 11:00pm On Nov 30, 2017
Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Michael004: 11:44pm On Nov 30, 2017
GuidoVanRossum:

The Akoko Ondos may be Yoruba. But the Akoko edos aren't Yoruba in language and culture
Na you sabi. If una like, una fit be kanuri. Yorubas don't give a folk.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by SpComedy: 11:58pm On Nov 30, 2017
What concerns yoruba with the Edo (which is Niger Delta) yoruba are land grabbers

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by googi: 12:44am On Dec 01, 2017
Another One!

Tell us about how your Oduduwa fund his way to Ile-Ife and the name you know him as in Akoko Edo, please.

This may be the father of all Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by IkpuMmadu: 6:05am On Dec 01, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

Why call them Yoruba

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by sagitariusbaby(m): 8:41am On Dec 01, 2017
These people don't know Akoko-Edo is mini Nigeria as there are diverse minority languages and cultures there. Stop referring to them as Yoruba it's wrong

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by jetbomber17: 8:43am On Dec 01, 2017
Akoko Edo Akoko Ikare Akoko Akungba
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by ModsWillKillNL: 9:45am On Dec 01, 2017
GuidoVanRossum:

Please tell me what's Yoruba here.

The postal code of the area is 312. The towns include Atte, Igarra, Enwan, Aiyegunle, Ugboshi-Afe, Ugboshi-Ele, Ekpesa, Ibillo, Ikiran-Ile, Ikiran oke, Ekor, Somorika, Lampese, Imoga, Ojah, Uneme-Akiosu, Ososo, Akuku, Ojirami-Dam, Imoga, Eshawa, Ojirami-Peteshi, Ojirami-Afe, Dagbala, Makeke, Ekpe, Ekpedo, Bekuma, Okpe, Ogbe, Onumu, Akpama, Anyonron, Ogugu, Ikakumo, Ijaja, Oloma, Uneme-nekua, Ikpesh

Aiyegunle is Yoruba

Ile is Yoruba

Oke is Yoruba

Ikakumo (some parts are in Ondo) is Yoruba

Anyonron is Yoruba

A number of the towns you posted used to be in Ondo state.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by pcgist: 2:18pm On Dec 05, 2017
Akoko Edo is not Yoruba. They are from the northern part of Edo State. Akoko-Edo local government is one of the six local governments are collectively known as Afemai in Edo state.
Find out more about Akoko-Edo at http://www.afemaipeople.com/akoko-edo-local-government-edo-state/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by PrinceOgun: 9:19am On Dec 12, 2017
Yoruba una don hear now!! grin grin

They don denounce una so leave dem alone!!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by PrinceOgun: 9:20am On Dec 12, 2017
googi:
Another One!

Tell us about how your Oduduwa fund his way to Ile-Ife and the name you know him as in Akoko Edo, please.

This may be the father of all Yoruba.

Your theory make sense ...hmmm
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Day169: 9:31am On Dec 12, 2017
..but what do you expect when you bear Yoruba names.
Names are the hallmark of all cultures.
If you truly want to strike an identity for yourself , then drop those names and take up your local ones.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by GuidoVanRossum: 11:34am On Jan 08, 2018
pcgist:
Akoko Edo is not Yoruba. They are from the northern part of Edo State. Akoko-Edo local government is one of the six local governments are collectively known as Afemai in Edo state.
Find out more about Akoko-Edo at http://www.afemaipeople.com/akoko-edo-local-government-edo-state/

Thanks my brother. In akoko edo, our culture, way of life, and traditions differ greatly from the Yorubas. But people just refer to us as Yorubas anyhow here. Any little arguments that has to do with the edos, you hear people ignorantly refer to us as Yorubas. Afe-home, ame-water and other common typical edo language shows we are far more edos than Yorubas.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by verydark: 11:36am On Jan 08, 2018
GuidoVanRossum:
It amazes me that almost everyone on here refers to my people as being Yorubas. Is it because of the name "Akoko?".
Please, note that the major languages in Akoko Edo are:
Okpameri
Uneme
Etuno
Ososo
And a very very tiny % of Yorubas.
Akoko-Edo isn't a Yoruba land. Yes, we have Yoruba influence and it shows in our names and all that. But we very different both culturally and in terms of language.

I therefore implore you all to stop calling my people Yorubas.

PS: This does not mean we hate the Yoruba people as they are our brothers in the same geographical contraption called Nigeria.

Mind44, Lalasticlala, please help us educate others.

what do you want from us.?

their are over 200 tribes in nigeria.how do you expect from us to know all of them.?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by verydark: 11:38am On Jan 08, 2018
northerners have the same problem too.not all northerners are the same.

blame igbos for trying to make everything look simple.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Deathslater: 11:41am On Jan 08, 2018
ModsWillKillNL:

shut you landgrabber! at op of course we knw your people aren't yolobas just like the ilages and eguns in lagos.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by verydark: 11:46am On Jan 08, 2018
Deathslater:
shut you landgrabber! at op of course we knw your people aren't yolobas just like the ilages and eguns in lagos.

yorubas have the same issue too.blame igbos for putting everybody in a region in a category.

we never cared about this things till they started making noise upandan.afonja this,hausas fulanis that.

na them started this wahala online.

this people are sooo disrespectful.its very annoying.

na so dem dem added the ol delta to their biafra dreams without talking with people.

am urhobo.i dont remember going into a agreement with igbos.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Deathslater: 11:49am On Jan 08, 2018
Desyner:
Cos everything about them is Yoruba. Name, culture, way of life.
Shut up are you sayhing the itshekhris are yolabas cos both tribe share the same cultural similarities? just like some ikwerres that hate being associated with igbos.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by GuidoVanRossum: 11:50am On Jan 08, 2018
verydark:

what do you want from us.?

their are over 200 tribes in nigeria.how do you expect from us to know all of them.?

Yes. I understand that, that's why I'm trying to correct that wrong categorization.

Below is a celebration of carnival in one of the towns in Akoko-Edo. You can deduce that our language and culture differ greatly from Yorubas.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by verydark: 11:52am On Jan 08, 2018
GuidoVanRossum:

Yes. I understand that, that's why I'm trying to correct that wrong categorization.

Below is a celebration of carnival in one of the towns in Akoko-Edo. You can deduce that our language and culture differ greatly from Yorubas.

it will not matter.people will still call you yorubas because you are in west near yorubas.

you cant demand from us to exactly know all tribes in nigeria.thats like learning mathematics.keep your peace and move on.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by GuidoVanRossum: 11:54am On Jan 08, 2018
The Etunos (Igarra) are more closely related to the Ebiras than the Yorubas. The Ososos and Okpameris are more closely related to the rest of the Afemai who are more closely related with the Binis culturally than the Yorubas.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Deathslater: 11:58am On Jan 08, 2018
verydark:

yorubas have the same issue too.blame igbos for putting everybody in a region in a category.

we never cared about this things till they started making noise upandan.afonja this,hausas fulanis that.

na them started this wahala online.

this people are sooo disrespectful.its very annoying.

na so dem dem added the ol delta to their biafra dreams without talking with people.

am urhobo.i dont remember going into a agreement with igbos.

Honestly speaking i think the yolabaz are worse than the igbos, you need to visit lagos and see these egun people. they are seen as second class citizen in their land.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Udom Emmanuel Wins Akwa Ibom Governorship Election / Stella Oduah Stole N3.6b, Shared It Between 8 Companies - Sahara Reporters / Gov. Okorocha Receives Obasanjo As He Lands In Imo 4 Imo Day Of Thanksgiving(Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.