Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story (4974 Views)

Behind The Mask - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by Nobody: 10:44am On Jan 17, 2018
@ misswrite why don't you ever tag me along whenever you post any story cry
Good story anyway wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by MissWrite(f): 1:02pm On Jan 17, 2018
greiboy:
@ misswrite why don't you ever tag me along whenever you post any story cry

Good story anyway wink

smiley. Thanks, sweetie. I'll tag you from here on out; since I have your permission. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by MissWrite(f): 1:02pm On Jan 17, 2018
Thank you all for contributing your opinions; they are very much appreciated. Personally, I think that there’s a very thin line here. Whether or not sex amounts to rape, is a question of consent, no doubt.

There are three situations here:

First, there is the phone conversation where kossy had the most amount of control over the situation. She could and (perhaps) should easily have said “No” to David’s proposition then. That is if it is generally inferred that visiting a guy (or sleeping over) means consenting to sex. Truth is: that kind of proposition is vague (as not all visits result in sex) and the ensuing consent is equally ambiguous, because a naïve girl would tell you she consented to a sleep over and nothing further. Rape is a crime; naivety is not. Saying “No” at this point would be a precautionary measure – a preemptive move. So in effect, consent to sex is NOT given.

The second situation: David starts to touch kossy in her sleep. She did not and could not have consented to that because she was asleep. So that does amount to molestation in my opinion. She wakes up and asks him to stop. Again, consent to sex is denied.

The third situation: David ignores her rejection and continues to touch her. What is going on at this point, where he touches her in spite of her remonstrations? Is this still a decision-making zone or has the rape commenced? Nevertheless, she gets aroused (Is that arousal consent?) and begins to respond to him. But David knows he needs her verbal consent, and so he waits until he’s sure she’s no longer thinking with her head to ask if he should stop. When that consent was eventually given, the rape was already in progress.

It’s like taking someone’s food without asking until you’ve taken it in your mouth; and then you ask whether you should spit it out or swallow it. The person would probably ask you to swallow it; and his consent will make you feel like you didn’t steal his food. But the owner of that food would still feel like you took his ownership of that food for granted and had your way with it. If you had just damned his consent he might not feel as angry, because you’re not trying to manipulate the situation to paint yourself as anything else but a food thief.

This is the kind of situation that is easily gotten into when you're "friendly" with someone and not when you're strangers to one another.

But it won’t be surprising that Kossy (or the food owner) would “feel” raped at the end of the day, because her consent was given under undue influence. The reason consent is so important in qualifying rape is because it should liberate the consenting party to the action; it is not meant solely to justify the actions of the consentee.

This is what I think about the situation, but it’s all debatable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by Yinn(m): 2:02pm On Jan 17, 2018
Putting the issue aside for a minute, you are a talented creative writer. Been reading some publications about creative writing and this is just the practical example I need, thanks.

Now, my take on the issue. The topic is quite sensitive in a county like ours, because who ever the lady narrates her story to, an average Nigerian will put the blame on her. The concept of sleeping over is alien to the majority, and whenever a case like this comes up, there's always a baiased and vague judgment.

In summary, ladies should be more careful when it comes to trusting men, men are not taught how to seduce a lady, it's inborn to most of them. When the lady is totally aware she has more to lose when situations like this goes south, I think the best option is to be prepared at all times.

Once again, thanks for the good read.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by Rooneyboy(m): 8:09pm On Jan 17, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:

Hello, none are you bald.
Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by thaotech: 12:02am On Jan 28, 2018
intjgirl:

Exactly. It's unethical and a shitty thing to do but it is NOT rape.
Perhaps the author just didn't express the scenario completely.

Lol
Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by intjgirl(f): 8:14pm On Jan 29, 2018
thaotech:

Hey we in the same class

Which one?
Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by thaotech: 11:33am On Jan 30, 2018
intjgirl:

Which one?
Re: Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 03, 2018
I wouldn't call this rape but Manipulations. David had this all planned right from the beginning (The call) While Kossy on the other hand is just a woman with no strong thoughts of her own, she probably harbored some feelings for David and he used it on her.

Kossy listens more to her emotions than logical thinking, a typical example is when David asked if he should stop. A woman with strong convictions wouldn't have been easily swayed by arousal.

If she had asked him to stop it would have been a different story entirely. In all, David used Kossy's weakness against her. But never raped her. Cunningly gotten or not there was consent.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Once Upon A Madman / Latest Nigerian Slangs / He's A Korean Sex God Episode 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.