Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza (27131 Views)

Catholic Church In Yola Built A Mosque For Muslims - Bishop Mamza / Apostle Suleman Clashes With South African Over Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians / Dami Mike-Bamiloye: Emmanuela Sent Message On Facebook To Me, Now She’s My Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by gratiaeo(m): 7:53am On Dec 03, 2017
Dr. Stephen Dami Mamza, The Catholic Bishop of Yola Diocese, Dr. Stephen Dami Mamza, who is also the Chairman of the Adamawa State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, tells HINDI LIVINUS that the Sultan of Sokoto is creating tension in the state with his comments on the Numan clashes

Do you agree that the recent bloody clash in Numan was a declaration ofwar against the Muslims?

As a Catholic Bishop and Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria, I will condemn all kinds of killings because Christianity does not approve the deliberate taking of innocent lives. However, it is wrong for people to conclude, without waiting for the release of the report of investigations being carried out by security agencies, and declare that the Muslims were the target. Everybody in Adamawa State knowsthat what happened in three or four villages in Numan, where people were killed, had nothing to do with religion. I am sure many Muslims will concur with me that it is another in the series of clashes that are really very common here between farmers and herdsmen. We have been experiencing it for over a decade now. It is not unusual for a particular group to suffer more casualties than another when such clashes occur. In this case, I don’t think there’s any religious intention in the whole thing.

What is your view on the Sultan of Sokoto’s statement condemning the killing of Fulani in the Numan area of the state?

I appreciate the Sultan for condemning the incident but I will disagree with him for not coming out with similar condemnation when certain groups of tribes are at the receiving end. The killing in Numan did not only affect a particular tribe, some people from other tribes were also killed in the process. As religious leaders, we should be prepared at all times, to condemn any form of bloody attacks whether the victims are adherents of our religion or not. The Holy Bible for instance, forbids all forms of killings.

But Sultan warned that the Fulani’s patience and silence should not be misconstrued for weakness!I think the comment of the Sultan has actually increased the tension here in Adamawa State. A highly-placed religious leader like him is not expected to make such a misguided statement, because this is not the first time that we would experience killings in the state. As a religious and spiritual leader, what I will expect of him is to condemn all forms of killings and not to single out this incident because the Fulani are involved or that some of them are victims. He is not the leader of the Fulani alone; he’s the leader of all Muslims. So he should not be seen as a sectional leader. That statement should have come from the leader of the Fulani and not fromthe Sultan because he is a Muslim leader. This crisis has no religious connotation; so, he shouldn’t have spoken in the tone he did as if he were speaking on behalf of the Fulani.

Some people also considered his statement as a threat to peace?

That’s why I said that his commentshave actually heightened the tension in Numan and several other local government areas in the state. Why did he single out Numan? We have had so many killings in the past in the state, and across the country, involving Fulani herdsmen. So, for him to have singled out the clashes in Numan, and say the killing of Fulani should not go unpunished, is worrisome. I did not expect that kind of comments from a religious leader like the Sultan of Sokoto, if he actually said so because I learnt that somebody spoke on his behalf. And I don’t know whether it was his script that was read.

Don’t you think that the Sultan’s statement may be as a result of the high number of casualties recorded during the Numan clashes?

Let us go back to what happened in 2016 and this year, 2017, which makes it even baffling that the Sultan singled out this particular incident for condemnation. On the 24th of January, 2016, in Koh village, Girei, more than 80 persons were killed, while many houses were burnt. Bags of grains were destroyed and several other persons, who got missing, had yet to be found. But I didn’t hear a single comment from the Sultan of Sokoto then.

Also, 30 people were killed in Kodomun between 29th of July and 1st of August last year. Again, I never heard any comment from the Sultan. Even, on the 7th of January this year, in a place called Kwayine, five gallant policemen were murdered. All the killings were actually carried out by herdsmen.

Is it now that the Sultan is now aware that there were killings taking place in Adamawa?

The Sultan should be a bridge builder for the different religions and ethnic nationalities in the country. It is not in the interest of peace for us to single out a particular incident for condemnation. We shouldn’t create the impression that there are inferior and superior killings. Every murdered soul is important, whether he is a Fulani or a farmer. The life of a Fulani is not superior to that of a Bachama, a Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo. Life is sacred and every soul is very important.

You once blamed the government for doing nothing to stop the frequent clashes between farmers and herdsmen in the state. Has your position changed now?

I have not changed my position on the issue. I suggested the setting up of a judicial panel to investigate the previous clashes while the report should be made public and that government should punish all those responsible for the wicked acts. I am not happy that the reportsof the investigations carried out on similar incidents in the past by administrative panels were not made public and the government did not act on them.If the government had taken its responsibilities seriously when such incidences occurred and those responsible were punished, similar ones will not happen.

Do you think that the government will accept your advice this time round and set up a judicial panel?

The government must ensure that whatever committee that would be set up to investigate the Numan clashes should be objective. It should not include people who are already expressing biased opinions on the incident; otherwise, we won’tget any result from it.

http://punchng.com/sultans-misguided-comments-on-adamawa-clashes-increasing-tension-catholic-bishop/

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Nutase: 8:12am On Dec 03, 2017
Fulani agenda.

29 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by tripoli007(m): 8:20am On Dec 03, 2017
Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by LUGBE: 8:48am On Dec 03, 2017
Let the tension remain in Adamawa only please, whatever a man sows, he will reap.

After killing innocent people, if you see them no more to kill, you face yourselves, that is the stage they are now

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by kay29000(m): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2017
From Boko Haram, to Fulani Herdsmen, to cattle thieves... When will all the killings in the North end?

1 Like

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Michaelpresh(m): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2017
Chai
Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Atiku2019: 9:03am On Dec 03, 2017
embarassed
Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Codes151(m): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2017
Sultan pls bring back the money u and ur cohorts stole from Nigerian purse! ThankYou.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by DIKEnaWAR: 9:04am On Dec 03, 2017
That idle and corrupt sultan cannot control his mouth like he can't control his d1ck.
Born throway.

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 03, 2017
undecided
Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by FRESHG(m): 9:05am On Dec 03, 2017
SULTAN IS A GOATangry

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by delugajackson: 9:05am On Dec 03, 2017
They are all terrorists, all those face covering mofos.

35 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 03, 2017
Oga bishop behave yourself, who the fvck are you to tell the Sultan how to talk? Niggas always playing the victim card.

Better respect yourself and keep your mouth shut.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Firefire(m): 9:06am On Dec 03, 2017
Absolutely!

The Sultan should be arrested immediately for "HATE SPEECH" & for incitement.

whoever made the 97% vs. 5% statement should also be arrested.

Bigot rulers! angry

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by julimax(m): 9:06am On Dec 03, 2017
I don't support killings of fulanis or any innocent soul whatsoever. But..

Why is the sultan only talking when fulanis were victims

And
When the Sultan said...

People who killed Fulanis will not go unpunished

How exactly was he planning to effect that? With the law? Or with.... Who knows?.

We are now beginning to see how some people get backing for killings carried out in diff states

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by gurunlocker: 9:06am On Dec 03, 2017
Religion is creating real problem in this country. I'm afraid this country can't grow more than this if we continue this way.

4 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 03, 2017
blood will continue to flow as long as some people think they superior to others.
Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by signified: 9:06am On Dec 03, 2017
See wahala!
Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by fulaniHERDSman(m): 9:07am On Dec 03, 2017
angry
That Sultan should have been invited for investigation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Ikwokrikwo: 9:08am On Dec 03, 2017
Sultan the lord of Yoruba Muslims

26 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 03, 2017
God, please, save the innocent ones

3 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by blowjob: 9:11am On Dec 03, 2017
SULTAN,NA RAM,WE ALL KNOW,FULANI END IN NIGERIA,IS SLOWLY COMIN TO AN END... angry angry

1 Like

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 03, 2017
delugajackson:
They are all terrorists, all those face covering mofos.
Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

7 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Stalwert: 9:15am On Dec 03, 2017
The Sultan shouldn't have made such statement instead calling for calm even though it is clear those relentlessly waging violence against others.

Pigs and idiots were licking sultan's feets just 2 weeks ago now they have switch gear.

4 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by myrrtle(m): 9:15am On Dec 03, 2017
I weep for Nigeria!!
supposed to be righteous sultan is as bias as the evil leader Buhari.

God save us from these devils

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by kenic(m): 9:20am On Dec 03, 2017
A country where the leaders are 'colour blinded ', where a leader would see black but he would rather call it white. A country where the leaders would continue to do the same thing repeatedly and be expecting different result. The cause of the farmers and herdsmen crisis is not a rocket science that the solution can't be easily fetched. If it's in a sane society where lives and properties of the citizens are valued or where justice and fairness are being practised, the solutions to these clashes would have been achieved. I'm also really disappointed with statements of the sultan. Utterances like these sow discord and is one of the reasons why resolution of the farmers and herdsmen would take a while to achieve. What we want in this country is peace and an end to these senseless killings.

2 Likes

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by olisaEze(m): 9:21am On Dec 03, 2017
Very unfortunate comment credited to the sultan, but that has been the attitude of the fulanis since the advent of PMB's govt. 2019 is just around the corner and Nigerians are patiently waiting. The wool of change pulled over our eyes has dissolved and in quoting the sultan, Nigerians silence on all the scandals involving 'Mr Integrity' and his cabal should not be taken as a sign of our collective weakness.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by heckymaicon(m): 9:22am On Dec 03, 2017
thunder strike this useless sultan!!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by mavinc4u(f): 9:23am On Dec 03, 2017
MasViews:
Oga bishop behave yourself, who the fvck are you to tell the Sultan how to talk? Niggas always playing the victim card.

Better respect yourself and keep your mouth shut.

Oh my word. Imagine the comment. All those people blaming kanu and IPOB should come and say something on this thread. I have lost faith in Nigeria long ago.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Omexonomy: 9:25am On Dec 03, 2017
Too many misguided people in nigeria esp from south west and Igbos
Re: Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza by Hector09(m): 9:25am On Dec 03, 2017
What baffles me most is buhari stands on these issues, he is mute

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Paul And Becky Enenche Celebrate 26th Wedding Anniversary / Jehovah's Witnesses Open Kingdom Halls, To Start House-To-House Visits / Youths Sack Catholic Priest In Imo State Community. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.