Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,978 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (75235 Views)

Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 11:13pm On Dec 23, 2011
The context is different. The background to the Ikwerre bible was a rejection of the Igbo bible with strong agitation that it was imposed on them and was blurring their identity. This is well articulate in the link i posted above ; OTONTI NDUKA
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 11:16pm On Dec 23, 2011
Well perhaps you should read the link i posted and study what the linguist Kay Williamson had to say on the subject. Her research is quite old and well cited
ChinenyeN:

That's what I'm saying. No one can/will linguistically dispute that it is an Igbo Bible.
She also published an Igbo dictionary so she should know

she said;
that the Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba, Etche and Igbo languages belonged to the same language cluster of related languages, but maintained that they are not dialects of each other
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by AndreUweh(m): 11:36pm On Dec 23, 2011
The last time I attended a Church in near P.H (in Ikwerreland), the service was in English with an Igbo translator. This sort of thing is not done outside Igboland. I remember some churches in Yorubaland do the same for example sermon in Yoruba with an English translator.
It is so shameful that a non Ikwerre Aribisala0) is hear wasting his time in an attempt to divide Ndigbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 11:51pm On Dec 23, 2011
aribisala0:

Well perhaps you should read the link i posted and study what the linguist Kay Williamson had to say on the subject. Her research is quite old and well citedShe also published an Igbo dictionary so she should know
she said;
that the Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba, Etche and Igbo languages belonged to the same language cluster of related languages, but maintained that they are not dialects of each other

I don't understand the point of this post. Is it supposed to be directed at me? Or were you just quoting/referencing me?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 11:55pm On Dec 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

That's what I'm saying. No one can/will linguistically dispute that it is an Igbo Bible.
i was pointing you in the direction of such a dispute

ChinenyeN:

I don't understand the point of this post. Is it supposed to be directed at me? Or were you just quoting/referencing me?
i was reponding to what you posted. If you would rather i did not do so tell me and i will desist.
my post was in DIRECT response to what you wrote!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 12:05am On Dec 24, 2011
Oh. Alright.

Well, first of all, when I say linguistically Igbo, I'm not talking about some phantom "Igbo language", and all other tongues falling under "Igbo".

As for Kay Williams (which is beside my point), it does not matter what she said. As an Ngwa, who speaks Ngwa fluently and is also very familiar with Etche, I can definitively state that if Etche is categorized as not being a dialect of "Igbo", then Ngwa also should not be under the "Igbo" categorization.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 12:17am On Dec 24, 2011
And should Ngwa be so classed??

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 12:24am On Dec 24, 2011
If that is how Kay thought to class Etche, then definitively, yes.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 12:36am On Dec 24, 2011
now i remember one of our earlier encounters . you were a bit reticent about whether your language is igbo
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by AndreUweh(m): 12:47am On Dec 24, 2011
Why didn't the silly woman class Mbaise or my own Isinweke?.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 12:51am On Dec 24, 2011
aribisala0:

now i remember one of our earlier encounters . you were a bit reticent about whether your language is igbo
With good cause.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by AndreUweh(m): 12:53am On Dec 24, 2011
Why did the fed govt hire Kay Williams to class Igbo dialects and no Yoruba dialects. Does the later have no dialects?.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 12:59am On Dec 24, 2011
Jonathan is on Facebook why not ask him
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by AndreUweh(m): 2:04am On Dec 24, 2011
aribisala0:

Jonathan is on Facebook why not ask him
That promiscous bigot -Kay Williams was hired before GEJ's adm, so no point asking him. Most things discussed here also happened before GEJ's adm.
Your aim here is to preach division among Igbo groups.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Abagworo(m): 4:37am On Dec 24, 2011
For those who have been ignorantly arguing let us look at ethnologue report.

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=2109-16

As I had always maintained only Ekpeye is Igboid, the others are Igbo. In the link above, Igbo was broken down into 6 types of Igbo.There are two Igboid languages viz Ekpeye and Igbo. Igbo has been broken down to nearly 20 separate Igbo languages in the most recent ethnologue. Izzi is now separate from Ezza and Ikwo while Abiriba, Ehugbo and Etche have been given a new language status. Etche has never been classified separately until this latest one which has over 20 Igbo  languages. Kay Williamson could not establish enough difference to say any of the languages are totally different from the rest except Ekpeye.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 24, 2011
Who even taught Kay Williamson Igbo that she now sees herself as an Igbo language expert? All these oyibos sef, thinking they are smarter than africans? lol

Anyone knows what parts of Nigeria she lived before her death?

Andre Uweh:

Why did the fed govt hire Kay Williams to class Igbo dialects and no Yoruba dialects. Does the later have no dialects?.

I dont think she was hired by the FG, she be self-imposed 'expert' on Igbo studies. lol
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 11:24am On Dec 24, 2011
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

when we all remain silent no one knows who is foolish. It is only when we speak that all doubt is removed
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by AndreUweh(m): 3:21pm On Dec 24, 2011
aribisala0:

when we all remain silent no one knows who is foolish. It is only when we speak that all doubt is removed
Then let Ndikwerre speak. Not you.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 4:11pm On Dec 24, 2011
You guys should please leave aribisala to wallow in his ignorance. Why argue with someone who's not Ikwerre.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 4:52pm On Dec 24, 2011
afam better leave your mother to wallow in her foolishness. if she was not foolish enough to open her fetid   yansh you won't be here today. mad woman
afam4eva:

You guys should please leave aribisala to wallow in his foolishness. Why argue with someone who's not Ikwerre.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 4:56pm On Dec 24, 2011
aribisala0:

afam better leave your mother to wallow in her foolishness. if she was not foolish enough to open her fulminant yansh you won't be here today. mad woman

Why e dey pain you. I never intended for a sentence to hurt your feelings. Go here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-826801.0.html before it's too late.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 4:57pm On Dec 24, 2011
Who said anything about pain. Your word not mine ask your epileptic mother to jump in front of a trailer if the shame is too much for you
i will certainly pray for her not to see the New Year.
May Ogun strike the lunatic dead!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Dec 24, 2011
aribisala0:

Who said anything about pain. Your word not mine ask your epileptic mother to jump in front of a trailer if the shame is too much for you
i will certainly pray for her not to see the New Year.
May Ogun strike the lunatic dead!

The world is losing thousands of people to suicide everywhere. It's never too late. Go here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-826801.0.htm.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 5:02pm On Dec 24, 2011
Your mama suicide
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 5:03pm On Dec 24, 2011
aribisala0:

Your mama suicide

It seems you have multiple illness.

Try this also http://psychcentral.com/therapy/
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 5:06pm On Dec 24, 2011
Back at your mama. Una no go see her dead body. na dog and vulture go chop am
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 5:09pm On Dec 24, 2011
It's never too late my brother. Don't despair, help is on the way http://psychcentral.com/therapy/
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 5:09pm On Dec 24, 2011
right back at your mother. sadly it is too late for her. she no go hear the sound of trailer before she cross road
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 5:11pm On Dec 24, 2011
Ogun go do the rest. Ase!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2011
Ogun go play with una enter new year
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2011
aribisala0:

right back at your mother. sadly it is too late for her. she no go hear the sound of trailer before she cross road

You can try this too http://www.sw-mins.org/Deliverance_ministries.htm
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 5:13pm On Dec 24, 2011
come and play
come let us play
we are playing

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo) / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.