Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,851 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:31 AM

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (74854 Views)

Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Katsumoto: 5:23pm On Mar 29, 2010
afam4eva:

Here's a post i curled from a Nigerianvillagesquare.

My people,

First of all, let me say that I am Ikwerre-Igbo. I have had to ask my dad to clarify all these confusion among the Ikwerre about who they really are. He was really enraged about that question. He said to me; "son, you are Igbo of Ikwerre extraction." He said any Ikwerre man who says he is not Igbo is a naughty person, and that it's civil war politics.

I have read all the articles posted on this site, and believe me, I do not understand why the hatred on Igbo by other Nigerians. The Igbo has never ruled Nigeria since after the civil war, so why this animousity toward them. Nigerians should direct their anger towards the North and the West, and not the East. What have the Igbo done wrong?

One Pukpabi was attacked for using statistics to show Nigerians that truly, the Igbo are the most educated Nigerians. But why? His was in response to the insinuation that Ndi-Igbo are all traders. Remember, a female Yoruba Nigeria federal minister made the most silly statement about Igbo going back to do what they know how to do: trading, instead of aspiring to be President.

Just in case you guys have forgotten, Nigeria's "leader" since 1970 has been Gowon (North), Murtala Mohammed (North), Buhari (North), Obasanjo (West), Shagari (North), Buhari (North), Babangida (North) Shonekan? (West) Abacha (North), Abubakar (North), obasanjo (West).

My question to these hate mongers is, "which of these 'miracle workers' is an Igbo man?"

Chinda Amadi, MBA
Illinois, USA

Why did u start your range from 1970? Why not 1960?

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 5:26pm On Mar 29, 2010
Katsumoto:

Why did u start your range from 1970? Why not 1960?

Common sense, it's because that's when the civil war ended.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by chosen04(f): 5:31pm On Mar 29, 2010
grafikdon:

Young man, watch it! Nwata bunie nna ya enu, ogodu ayochie ye anya. Eji m ogu n'eji m ofo, maka anahu ama ama nke Onicha gwala Obosi angry angry

Uchenna is my name, I don't know what it means in Igbo and I don't really care what it means in Igbo since I am not Igbo, but in my language, it means "the will of the father/God".  My elder sister's name is[b] Chika[/b], does that make her Japanese considering Chika is also a Japanese name? What about the youngest who is[b] Azuka[/b], is she now Japanese because some Japanese bear the same name?

Igbo people sef. Ndi ofeke. Sheesh angry angry

Bros, If UCHENNA means the "Will of the father/God" in your language and yet not Igbo, can you kindly tell us the name of your language?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by grafikdon: 5:40pm On Mar 29, 2010
chosen04:

Bros, If UCHENNA means the "Will of the father/God" in your language and yet not Igbo, can you kindly tell us the name of your language?

Umuekpili is my language. I am Ekwulobia, not Igbo.  wink wink

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Katsumoto: 6:10pm On Mar 29, 2010
afam4eva:

Common sense, it's because that's when the civil war ended.

And why is that so special? At the risk of sounding redundant, what stops you from starting your analysis from 1960?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
Leave it alone people. Ikwerres have a massive Igbo influence in everything except for eating Eba and fried fish I don't think Igbos do that. Ikwerres have to be of Igbo extration cause of their names and dialect. Amaechi is not an Ijaw name is it? The point is Ikwerres are Igbo. An Igbo can easily speak Ikwerre and vice versa. But here is the important thing; Don't hate them cause they don't want to be Igbo they have influence from other tribes too. What does Rotimi means in Igbo? Nothing Rotimi is a Yoruba name. Ikwerres have influence from Ijaw, Ogoni and other surrounding tribes but the major influence is Igbo and Igbo land should be recognized as their mother tribe. Just identify them as Ikwerres if they don't want to be called Igbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Kobojunkie: 6:27pm On Mar 29, 2010
So it is wrong for an Ikwerre man to claim he is not ibo, but Ok for an ibo man to claim he is not Nigerian? ROFLMAO!!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by sjeezy8: 6:29pm On Mar 29, 2010
lol
maybe they want to stand out as being a "special" igbo

hybrid nothing wrong in that
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by hatch: 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2010
Very soon I will no longer be recognized as a Nigerian but a Biafran ! How does that sound ?  grin

# I support the Biafran Cause !
So that we can atleast have some peace and quiet on Nairaland.
cool cool
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 6:36pm On Mar 29, 2010
grafikdon:

Umuekpili is my language. I am Ekwulobia, not Igbo.  wink wink

very daft thing, Since when does the name of a village/community becomes the name of a tribe,

Very soon i will hear i am not igbo I am owerri or onitsha,

Please sound educated. there is no one igbo dialect, I have been amazed to see the degree of difference in pronunciation and words among igbos from different communities,
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So it is wrong for an Ikwerre man to claim he is not ibo, but Ok for an ibo man to claim he is not Nigerian? ROFLMAO!!

Kobo, Nigeria is a geographical entity defined by boundaries and whose boundaries are open to renegotiation depending on the will of the inhabitant citizens.

Being Igbo is simply heriditary, just like being Hausa or being Yoruba.
You have Hausa people in Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal etc. But not all are Nigerians because of geographical boundaries.

I think what Mr Dibia wants to say is that he is not from what we now define as South-East based on Nigerian Geography. He was Igbo the day he was born. Except he is telling us he was borne by Hausa Parents but given Igbo names due to his location during birth.

If his argument is whether Ikwere people are Igbo or not, then he is simply not making a lot of sense.

Do a research on the[b] Kwa People[/b] and their Origin and you will realise how ridiculous this whole debate is. Folks want to talk about their history as if their ethnic group began in 1970. Well unfortunately it did not. So Mr Dibia should grow up.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by zebra(m): 6:40pm On Mar 29, 2010
9jaganja:

Leave it alone people. Ikwerres have a massive Igbo influence in everything except for eating Eba and fried fish I don't think Igbos do that. Ikwerres have to be of Igbo extration cause of their names and dialect. Amaechi is not an Ijaw name is it? The point is Ikwerres are Igbo. An Igbo can easily speak Ikwerre and vice versa. But here is the important thing; Don't hate them cause they don't want to be Igbo they have influence from other tribes too. What does Rotimi means in Igbo? Nothing Rotimi is a Yoruba name. Ikwerres have influence from Ijaw, Ogoni and other surrounding tribes but the major influence is Igbo and Igbo land should be recognized as their mother tribe. Just identify them as Ikwerres if they don't want to be called Igbo.

Help me tell the nairaland igbos to leave ikwerre alone.
Ikwerres can easily speak and understand ibo language and it's not vice versa. Most igbos don't understand ikwerre language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2010
9jaganja:

. What does Rotimi means in Igbo? Nothing Rotimi is a Yoruba name. Ikwerres have influence from Ijaw, Ogoni and other surrounding tribes but the major influence is Igbo and Igbo land should be recognized as their mother tribe. Just identify them as Ikwerres if they don't want to be called Igbo.

once again another daft post, Ok Goodluck Jonathan or Chief Edwin Clark are not Ijaw beacause they have western names?

Ok Better yet Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Yakubu Gowon are both Hausa abi? Even though yakubu the footballer is an Edo man and Gowon is an Angas man.

I have seen people give their kids the name of a good friend even though it might be of a different ethnic group
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by sjeezy8: 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2010
they said rotimis mother is yoruba and he didnt start using chibuike till politics came in
dunno how tre tho
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2010
zebra:

Ikwerres can easily speak and understand ibo language and it's not vice versa. Most igbos don't understand ikwerre language.

Most Igbos don't even understand every word in Igbo language
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 6:46pm On Mar 29, 2010
zebra:

shut up there u gonna tell me who I am or who my mom is?, My mom is from the Ikwerre community and Is Igbo as it comes,

ANy Rivers Igbo that has identity crisis, I have a litmus test for you. Just go to Lagos and ask a yoruba who he/she is and if they dont get a resounding OKORO na me sabi.

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by grafikdon: 6:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
igbo boy:

very daft thing, Since when does the name of a village/community becomes the name of a tribe,

Very soon i will hear i am not igbo I am owerri or onitsha,

Please sound educated. there is no one igbo dialect, I have been amazed to see the degree of difference in pronunciation and words among igbos from different communities,

LWKMD grin grin grin Apparently, my sarcasm's been counter productive.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Mar 29, 2010
mikeansy:

Kobo, Nigeria is a geographical entity defined by boundaries and whose boundaries are open to renegotiation depending on the will of the inhabitant citizens.

Being Igbo is simply heriditary, just like being Hausa or being Yoruba.
You have Hausa people in Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal etc. But not all are Nigerians because of geographical boundaries.

Ibos are people whose ancestry can be traced back to a geographical entity defined by boundaries and whose boundaries I am 100% certain, but I would think are also open to renegotiation.
Being ibo is hereditary same as being Nigerian. These words are collectives and you essentially apply the one same way you apply the other, only one is on a lower level than the other on the hierarchy.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by sjeezy8: 6:52pm On Mar 29, 2010
what does "igbo" mean?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 6:53pm On Mar 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ibos are people whose ancestry can be traced back to a geographical entity defined by boundaries and whose boundaries I am not sure are open to renegotiation.
Being ibo is hereditary same as being Nigerian. These words are collectives and you essentially apply the one same way you apply the other, only one is on a lower level than the other on the hierarchy.

And where exactly are these boundaries?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by grafikdon: 6:54pm On Mar 29, 2010
zebra:

Your ingorance is glaring. You speak with so much certainty when you know absolutely nothing about what you are so keen to project. Very bizarre.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 6:54pm On Mar 29, 2010
sjeezy8:

what does "igbo" mean?

now u gon act like u dont know, it means weed, ganja, sensimila, claro    grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by OYBMEND: 6:54pm On Mar 29, 2010
I am from Ndoni in River State and I am also Igbo

All I ask is for Igbo brothers in the East to respect this truth no matter how small in number we may be.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 6:59pm On Mar 29, 2010
OYB_MEND:

I am from Ndoni in River State and I am also Igbo

All I ask is for Igbo brothers in the East to respect this truth no matter how small in number we may be.

My brother they do, I am not from the so called East (which i believe is a fake term used for division) but nevertheless I am 101% igbo and people from the so called east agree
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 29, 2010
igbo boy:

once again another daft post,  Ok Goodluck Jonathan or Chief Edwin Clark are not Ijaw beacause they have western names?

Ok Better yet Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Yakubu Gowon are both Hausa abi? Even though yakubu the footballer is an Edo man and Gowon is an Angas man.

I have seen people give their kids the name of a good friend even though it might be of a different ethnic group

You are the daft one here. Yakub is an Arab name (Yaqub) for Jacob and is a religious name and not exclusive to any trib. Rotimi is a Yoruba name meaning stay with me and full meaning is my child is by my side. How daft can you be to compare a name that has no meaning in any Nigerian tribe to a Yoruba name. That's like comparing John and Chibuzor. Get a brain.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by chosen04(f): 7:08pm On Mar 29, 2010
grafikdon:

Umuekpili is my language. I am Ekwulobia, not Igbo.  wink wink

ILICISCOMK

grafikdon:

LWKMD grin grin grin Apparently, my sarcasm'[/b]s been counter productive.
This is what you have being trying to say?

[b]POQADCB
tongue lipsrsealed
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by nduchucks: 7:16pm On Mar 29, 2010
This Ikwerre bruhaha is probably not unrelated to the fact that the ND oil rich areas occupied by the Ikwerre need to be seen as Igboland in the grand scheme of things. I wonder whether this would have been so much of an issue without the oil in that area.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by grafikdon: 7:19pm On Mar 29, 2010
chosen04:

ILICISCOMK
This is what you have being trying to say?

POQADCB tongue lipsrsealed

Just messing with the people with identity crisis and some of the hypocritical and malevolent Nigerians who fan the embers of discord. They want to tell us who is Igbo and who is not at their convenience. In their diseased imagination, somebody can be Igbo yesterday and another ethnic group tomorrow, depending on whatever  devious scheme they have in the pipeline.

You can only laugh at that magnitude of buffoonery because honestly, the only thing that comes close is becomerich's remedy for every problem through ''See Map" or the removal of Edo, Bayelsa and Delta to Benin Republic.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Kobojunkie: 7:19pm On Mar 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

This Ikwerre bruhaha is probably not unrelated to the fact that the ND oil rich areas occupied by the Ikwerre need to be seen as Igboland in the grand scheme of things. I wonder whether this would have been so much of an issue without the oil in that area.

NEED TO BE? Oh come on!!! ROFLMAO!!!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

There is oil in what you will like to call the South East.
There is Oil in Imo and Abia, there is even untapped Oil in Anambra
There is Coal in Enugu and Palm Oil in the whole of the South East.

The most important resource in the East though is the ingenuity of our people. So if you like to see everything through the prism of oil. Not everyone do.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by 006(m): 7:42pm On Mar 29, 2010
What's the fuss about?
Ikwerre speak what sounds like Igbo and bear what resemble Igbo names.
The same applies to me, I'm from Anaocha (not Aniocha) and I speak what sounds like Igbo and bear what resemble Igbo names, but a Hausa man will call me Igbo just like a Yoruba man will do (walahi, I no go gree again, I no be Igbo) .   grin cheesy grin cool

There are over 1000 ethinic groups in Nigeria that speak what sounds like Igbo and bear Igbo names and have the same culture.
That means plus (1000 - 1) ethinic groups to what we already have in Nigeria.
Let's change what's on the record right away.    angry

Eziokwu bu ife
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by chosen04(f): 7:43pm On Mar 29, 2010
grafikdon:

Just messing with the people with identity crisis and some of the hypocritical and malevolent Nigerians who fan the embers of discord. They want to tell us who is Igbo and who is not at their convenience. In their diseased imagination, somebody can be Igbo yesterday and another ethnic group tomorrow, depending on whatever  devious scheme they have in the pipeline.

You can only laugh at that magnitude of buffoonery because honestly, the only thing that comes close is becomerich's remedy for every problem through ''See Map" or the removal of Edo, Bayelsa and Delta to Benin Republic.

You just said it all
Am proud of you dude! Remain Blessed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.