Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,292 members, 7,807,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? (43839 Views)

Tambuwal & Nigerian Senators At EQUATOR In Uganda - PICS / Faces Of Nigerian Senators During Fashola's Ministerial Screening / Nigerian Senators Earn More Than Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by solokay(m): 1:05am On Mar 29, 2010
I live in the US and i was talking to a friend of mine recently and he told that senators in Nigeria earn US$70,000 per month. That kind of shocked me even though that i know anything can happen in nigeria and that nigerian politicians steals money in unbelievable amounts. But that their official salary is $70,000 per month is a big shock for me because this is more than what the US president earn per month. So i am asking the forumers here the question "How much does Nigerian Senators earn per month" and do you think that amount is OK?
Looking forward to response from you guys.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by solokay(m): 4:40am On Mar 29, 2010
Does anybody to the answer to this question or people just dont how much their leaders earn?
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by Kobojunkie: 4:45am On Mar 29, 2010
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by solokay(m): 5:24am On Mar 29, 2010
wow!. I checked out that post and its hard to believe. Does Nigerians know this?. What kind of country is this?. Is this not reason enough for people to be protesting on every streets in the country on daily basis. What is wrong with nigerians, how can this look normal to anybody. This is just crazy. In a country where people can not afford 3 square meal, no power, no water, no good roads, schools are decaying, no good form of transportation to mention but a view. Are Nigeria just plain stupid?

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by trueword: 5:28am On Mar 29, 2010
I don't know if this has already been done, but would it be possible to publish that information all over the nigerian newspapers so that more people will become aware?

i think people will be very angry at how much these people make and yet do nothing to improve the country.

Then again who knows if it will just motiviate some people to try to get into politics.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by solokay(m): 5:35am On Mar 29, 2010
I think this should be everywhere in Nigeria. Everybody should be aware of it and people should really ask questions. It should be on all news papers, radio stations, tv stations, movies , everywhere. If you were an employer will you pay so much money without getting anything in return. Our leaders are our employees, so what are we getting in return. we must ask.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by trueword: 5:42am On Mar 29, 2010
I'm actually quite serious about the proposal. I don't know if anyone knows of a way to get it on as many media outlets as possible in nigeria. I think the sad thing is that the pay structure can only be changed by a vote by the assembly, so the chance of any change is slim to none unless new and honest people are brought into the national assembly.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by solokay(m): 5:49am On Mar 29, 2010
The figures again. Just to keep it alive
Basic Salary  -                                                           2,484 245.50

Hardship Allowance  @ 50% of Basic Salary              1 242 122.70  ( I love this kind of hardship 00000)
Consistuency allowance @ 200% of BS                     4 968 509.00
Furniture Allowance @ 300% of bs                            7 452 736.50
Newspaper allowance @  50%                                  1 242 122.70 ( Which kind newpaper be this sh na online or hardcopy).
Wardrobe allowance @ 25%                                         621 061.37
Recess Allowance @ 10%                                              248 424.55
Accommodation @ 200%                                            4 968 509.00
utilities @ 30%                                                               828 081.83
Domestic Staff @ 75%                                                 1 863 184.12
Entertainment @ 30%                                                    828 081.83
Personal Assistance @ 25%                                           621 061.37
Vehicle Maintainance Allowance @ 75%                      1 863 184.12
Leave Allowance @10%                                                 248 424.55

one off payments   As advised by Sagamite

Severance grautity @ 300%                                      7 452 736.50    Once they get fired
Motor Vehicle Allowance @ 400% of Bs                     9 936 982.00  - Every Four Years

Senators Salary per month  - N 2 456 647.7

Total  = N 29 479 749  * 109 Senators  Grand Total  = N 3 264 329 264.10

What a drain

also do not forget the under the table sharing and ghana must go bags -   

I have a friend who was a former assistant to a former senator who was to sent to collect an envelope containing $500,000 for sharing amongst about 5 to 6 senators  i guess to favour a particular outcome.

Pass it on people.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by solokay(m): 2:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
what about creating a website with this figures on it. That every Nigerian can go there and take a look. Does such website allready exist ? If yes please post link.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by Sagamite(m): 2:32pm On Mar 29, 2010
They don't make that much in a month. Your friend is talking from his arse like a lot of Nigerians do especially their press men.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by solokay(m): 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2010
The figures above was from a previous post on this forum, even though that does not amount to $70000 a month its still outrageous. Are saying that is ok. How much does parliamentarians earn monthly in UK where u live?
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by Sagamite(m): 6:02pm On Mar 29, 2010
solokay:

The figures above was from a previous post on this forum, even though that does not amount to $70000 a month its still outrageous. Are saying that is ok. How much does parliamentarians earn monthly in UK where u live?

The salary of a MP in UK is £65K per year.

The salary of a Senator in Nigeria is less than £16K per year.

The salary plus cost of allowances and amenities to maintain a MP in UK is on average £285K per year.

The salary plus cost of allowances and amenities to maintain a Senator in Nigeria on LfL basis is less than £75K per year.

The daft and moronic Naija journalists have somehow factored in loans, constituency allowances and even lies in figures to mislead Nigerians.
Re: How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? by marvix(m): 6:09pm On Mar 29, 2010
This brings me to rememba my hero Umaru Musa Yaradua, he saw these things and said political office holders shld take paycut, but wat wld pple hav said on dis forum, let me try. This Yaraclueles does not know Nigerias problem this Yaradull has no idea how to move dis nation forward, is Yaragoat going to slash their undertable deals and so on. All d man said was dat d pay of political ofice holders isn't justified when compared to present realities in d economy, if he had slashed d senators nd reps salaries we would all be here shouting seperation of power and rule of law and d Yaradua I know wld not even try to slash their salaries but wld xpect them to take a clue frm him, oh I 4got he is clueless.

The senators nd reps are d bane of this particular administration, they were granted full autonomy, that was wen it took them just 24hrs to increase their salaries by 100%, that was why I neva suported them amendin our constitution because they are very selfish people, thanks to Yaradua who had called for d expulsion of d imunity clause if not d senators wld hav xtended d clause to cover them.
GREEDY BASTARDS

(1) (Reply)

Abaribe To Wike: Go Ahead And Release Another Album, An Igbo Man Is No Slave / It Will Be Disastrous, If PDP Fails To Give Me The Ticket~ Alhaji Atiku Abubakar / Okada Riders Take Over Abuja Express, Headed To Eagle Square (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.