Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,640 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! (4004 Views)

Troops Kill Boko Haram Fighters During Battle In Babangida; Yobe (Graphic Pic) / Pictures From The Battle In Baga Against Boko Haram / Nigerian Military Release Photos From The Battle In Konduga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Seun(m): 9:54am On Dec 23, 2005
2 killed, scores injured •Adedibu's men take over

In what seems like a replay of the First Republic era of 'wild, wild west', Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State, yesterday became a theatre of violence following the decision of the group of 18 legislators, pushing for the impeachment of Governor Rashidi Ladoja, to use the House of Assembly chambers to effect their agenda.

The move sparked off a gun duel, at the end of which two persons were feared dead while six others, including two police officers, a State Security Service (SSS), official attached to the governor, a photo journalist and two civil servants were wounded.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=36378
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by FOD(m): 10:40am On Dec 23, 2005
What a great action-packed movie!
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by ono(m): 11:22am On Dec 23, 2005
Movie?......u haven't seen any movie yet. Just wait for 2006. There's a lot of action-packed, highly charged, thrilling serial movies coming up! This one's just the tip of the iceberg.... U ain't seen nuttin yet! Wow!
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Chxta(m): 11:34am On Dec 23, 2005
JAIZUZ!!!
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by otokx(m): 12:52pm On Dec 23, 2005
what happened in yenagoa which you all applauded is going to be a child's play when this current saga in ibadan is finished. already both parties are counting the dead. can a house divided stand? oh YES in NIGERIA, stay tuned
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by demmy(m): 2:25pm On Dec 23, 2005
Good riddance to both camps. The thug politicians can kill themselves to hell and back for all I care. When the people supporting them has gotten enough of hooligan politics they know how to sweep them away.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by prettyH(f): 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2005
I wonder what next......... embarassed
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Scorpio(f): 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2005
Interesting
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by ababoy1(m): 9:23pm On Dec 23, 2005
Is history repeating itself?
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by ocho(f): 10:41pm On Dec 23, 2005
okay, now that's some thing to be really worried about.
@ ababoy1: has it happened before? please give me the full gist.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by ababoy1(m): 8:14am On Dec 24, 2005
If you can read The Biafra Story - The Making of an Afican Legend, by Frederick Forsyth (Part One - The Road to Partition). The Awolowo, Akintola & Adegbenro saga (aka the wild, wild west) is reasonably documented.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 11:27pm On Dec 25, 2005
Battle for where?
While i do not support this nonsense but Ibadan is known for that.
It is a NORM,It is part and parcel of Ibadan.
Could we remember when IBB ( as Nigeria's head of State) was nealy killed by University of Ibadan students.

How it was easy for Abacha to organise support in other parts of the Country BUT in Ibadan. Hell was let loose,properties destroyed, lives lost.

During University of Ibadan's 50th Anniversary, how six posh cars of Alhaji Arisekola was destroyed and how the govering body of U.I has to dress up Alhaji in Academic gown in order to escape.

The real Ibadan people left Adedibu and Ladoja alone because both are members of PinDinPin( apology Chief Ige) and we all know how they swept the Yorubas, people can't wait for 2007.

( Honourable members of the house, please expect my comprehensive post on Alhaji lamidi Adedubu soon)
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by conscience(m): 3:45am On Dec 27, 2005
Lamidi Adedibu “ a force to reckon with both in Ibadan and the whole of Oyo State''- OBJ
Really? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
With all the battle/ confusion between his supporters and that of Governor Ladoja of Oyo State,
currently raging on. ...........Wonders will never end.
http://www.independentng.com/news/nndec270502.htm
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 4:23am On Dec 27, 2005
@ Conscience

DO YOU NOW KNOW WHY I ACCUSED YOU OF LOOKING FOR OBASANJO ALL AROUND THE NEWSPAPER?

I have commented on the gun battle in Ibadanin Seun's post on the subject.

What did you expect OBJ to say in a social gathering ? Crucify him

How much did you know about Baba Adedibu ?
I've promised members of a bumper package on the high Chief , who is Unfortunately 5th person in hierachy to become Olubadan of Ibadan

Adedibu want relevance, he wants to be noticed. Few years ago, he had problem with Governor Adesina ans OBJ had to flew to Ibadan from Abuja. Adedibu came late to Airport and OBJ lashed him, call him names but what did Yoruba people says. They said OBJ is power-drunk. He had lost Yoruba respect, he cant even respect Elders.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by owo(m): 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2005
The 'president' of a country of 130 million stood in front of a 'murder mastermind'..... and begged him to embrace peace, loyalty etc etc.

The excuse?.... Ibadan has always been like that, Adedibu is a 'strong' man, Baba Adedibu wants to be recognised etc etc.

It may be called 'Presidential protection in Awka and Ibadan' or whatever name. But, certainly a day of reckoning will come.

It only shows the stuff that the president is made of and goes to prove that wonders will never cease to happen.

May there arise a generation of men, women and children that will not condone this kind of arrant nonsense.
May the babies born in our hospitals be strong in mind and spirit to resist immoral leaders.
May our young men have clear eyes and zeal to pursue and overcome ungodly, self serving presidents who value money more than human life.
May our old men and women curse those that plead with bold and daring 'murder masterminds'.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by otokx(m): 4:41pm On Dec 27, 2005
Y are you peeps making a lot of noise? ladoja should better run for his dear life o. Dead man no fit be governor but if you are alive at least there is a possibility of return leg. The strongman of Ibadan politics has said it, "Minority will have their say and Majority will have their way" It is only in Nigeria that few people constitute themselves into "Majority" while the rest are turned into "Minority" spectators.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 7:38pm On Dec 27, 2005
In the first instance, do people really know why they are fighting?
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Seun(m): 8:03pm On Dec 27, 2005
Can you tell us why they are fighting?
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2005
Thank you Seun.

Baba Adedibu is a political contractor, even if you are not from Oyo state, you can get a political position easily with his help.

He helped Ladoja to clinch PDP governorship candidacy. AD was swept by PDP not only in oyo state but the whole south-west.

Ladoja did not even need  Baba in the main election because he has what it take to win election in oyo state.

1) He is a rich man
2) Ladoja together with Bola Tinubu, Alfred Rewane and few other guys single-handedly sponsor  NADECO
3) He is from Ibadan
4) He is well learned, he had first class honours ( though a Stamerer !)

He won the election, Baba was handsomely paid.

Problem no 1:  He submitted to the governor 14 or 15 names of the would be commisioners, which constitute nothing less than 95% of the list. GREEDY I THINK !

Ladoja remembers what happen in Kolapo Ishola's regime between 1991 and 1993, where Baba determines what will happen in Agodi government house from his Molete residence.

He acted like a man.

He asked Baba to go and rest in an all-expenses paid trip to London. He announced his list on Baba's absence though chooses few of Baba's choice.  Baba was angry sad

On return, Baba started causing trouble.

Problem 2:

Akeem, Baba's son  turn himself to aunthorised levy master.
He make Gbagi( the biggest fabric market in South-west Nigeria) his second office, compelling traders to pay levies. He made a lot of money from this and the governor decided to act.

Akeem did similar operation in Bodija market( biggest food market) as well

There were clashes between their thugs but the state is peaceful.

Baba had lined up Yekini Adeojo as the next governor

Problem 3 :

The high point of the crises was when Baba' s right hand man  called LATI OSHOGBO was murdered shortly after wining and dinning with BABA.

Problem No4

Is the Demolition of Awolowo's statue at Agodi

Former governor Adeshina erected the Statue as a sign of respect to Yoruba's no 1 Political Icon with about few months to the expiration of his regime. Once Ladoja gets to the throne, Baba adedibu ask his boys to demolish the statue. what is worrisome is that the operation was done at mid-day. The statue was erected right in front of governor's house and five minutes walk from NTA Ibadan(Africa's 1st TV station). Baba want to erect Adegoke adelabu's statue there and the governor and the entire Yorubas were angry. angry

I think, Ladoja caused it anyway, he didnt need Adedubu in any circumstances.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by bunking(m): 3:52pm On Dec 28, 2005
Really
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by otokx(m): 1:13pm On Dec 29, 2005
Look; this is just an effort in futility, Chief Ladoja better run for his life into cotonou, does he want to die in that place like Joab? Already the courts have washed their hands off the matter.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 5:40pm On Dec 29, 2005
The Court's verdict has nothing to do with Adedubu

But

14 legislators who went to Court to stop their colleagues from impeaching the Governor.

From time immemorial, the Court do not have right to stop Impeachment ( Plsea remember Barkin Zuwo's matter in the second republic)

@ OtokX : If you dont know, Now you must know
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by ocho(f): 7:57am On Dec 30, 2005
That is some intersting story, wow! things really are happening. Ok, I still don't get something though, who was the assailant?was it baba or Ladoja
@ owo. AMEN!!
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2005
@Ocho

Both parties were accusing themselves
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by ocho(f): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2005
Thanks Akowale. Ok, so that means they were both involved in the gun battel right? so why is the idea that Chief Ladoja run for his life a re-occuring theme? i still don't get that part.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 1:36am On Dec 31, 2005
@OCHO

It was confirmed that both of them had supporters(thugs) that are chasing themselves. Ladoja avoids Baba in most public places even in PDP congress.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by ocho(f): 8:52am On Dec 31, 2005
ooooo okay! Thank you! i kind of get it now.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 2:51pm On Dec 31, 2005
@ Ocho

PDP sent a high power delegation to Ibadan to preach peace to both parties.

What i don't understand is the legislators. Why did they want to  impeach the governor?
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by bunking(m): 9:20am On Jan 08, 2006
Akolawole:

@ Ocho

PDP sent a high power delegation to Ibadan to preach peace to both parties.

What i don't understand is the legislators. Why did they want to impeach the governor?

Akowale, you seem to have a bite at every political discuss, but you misrepresent facts a lot.
You are suffering from ITK.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by prettyH(f): 2:57pm On Jan 08, 2006
Akolawole:

In the first instance, do people really know why they are fighting?

Who cares why two old men are fighting? I don't blame them because as they say power corrupts and inevitably they regard a state as their property. It is only in Nigeria this sort of trash happens and people try to give cogent reasons for such acts. Well its just unfortunate that its their mumu followers as well as the majority of the state's populace that will bear the brunt of the feud.
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Akolawole(m): 6:32pm On Jan 08, 2006
@ Bunking

You accused me of suffering from ITK, meaning "i too know " i guess.
WHERE EXACTLY DID I MISREPRESENT FACT HERE(S) ?
Tell me , i am waiting for you ooooo
Re: Gun Battle in Oyo State Assembly? Wow! by Chxta(m): 6:53pm On Jan 08, 2006
Now now Kola, this is getting personal. Abi is it a Yoruba thing? grin

(1) (2)

What Is Nigeria Known For? Is Our Country Big For Nothing? / Jonathan Being Prayed For By Ministers In Israel / Boundary Adjustment Between Anambra & Kogi State Almost Completed By NBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.