Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

The Javascript Thread - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Javascript Thread (4030 Views)

The Javascript Journey: Essential Tips For Beginners To Excel In Coding / Understanding The Javascript For...of Loop / After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Javascript Thread by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 19, 2017
So after ranting to a colleague , he showed me his example of Redux via react-redux I guess my issue was I knew you could dispatch to alter the state but I was lost on how the component responded to the change that was where the mapToProps came in, I think I get it now. But for the app am building its too small for redux almost done. Was thinking of adding a back end to save the data deciding Golang or Slim PHP

1 Like

Re: The Javascript Thread by yorex2011: 7:15pm On Dec 19, 2017
pcguru1:
So after ranting to a colleague , he showed me his example of Redux via react-redux I guess my issue was I knew you could dispatch to alter the state but I was lost on how the component responded to the change that was where the mapToProps came in, I think I get it now. But for the app am building its too small for redux almost done. Was thinking of adding a back end to save the data deciding Golang or Slim PHP

Golang ke?
Re: The Javascript Thread by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
yorex2011:

Golang ke?

In terms of performance Golan is good, my boss showed a rewrite he did from Java to Go and memory consumption was fvcking minimal and performant.its the only binary I can easy package and pass around even our kubernetes its one file but we use that shit to deploy docker images and monitor docker images running live from my system. It's something in my office that will save you time esp when you want to read logs. Access to production in my company is sacred so kubes is the only shi.t that works for us.
Re: The Javascript Thread by yorex2011: 8:48pm On Dec 19, 2017
pcguru1:

In terms of performance Golan is good, my boss showed a rewrite he did from Java to Go and memory consumption was fvcking minimal and performant.its the only binary I can easy package and pass around even our kubernetes its one file but we use that shit to deploy docker images and monitor docker images running live from my system. It's something in my office that will save you time esp when you want to read logs. Access to production in my company is sacred so kubes is the only shi.t that works for us.

These una dev ops i no understand o shocked.
Re: The Javascript Thread by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 20, 2017
yorex2011:

These una dev ops i no understand o shocked.

The dev ops engineer in my coy is one brilliant guy mehn I respect the guy.
Re: The Javascript Thread by PrettySatan: 4:51am On Feb 15, 2018
pcguru1:

lol the serviceworkers came with the template it's only meant to refresh the page when i save, I read it when i wasn't sure what it was doing. Lol JavaScript has frustrated my life alot so TypeScript saves me alot of stress.
[b]I think it fustrated me much more than it did to you.

At a point I got fed up. Several headaches I had we're as follows:

1. I couldn't decide if to use Object Literals, or Functional Objects or Classes or Prototypes
2. I once spent 4days looking for a variable I defined and didn't know where I defined it. Funny enough I was even going through the script over and over... After a long 2days break I came back with a refreshened head and got it solved.
3. I got tired with the Es5/Es6/Es7 and yearly changes..... Though I so love Es7 and Es2018 as I felt they were all well thought out but I still see headaches in some cases with asymc and await and this doesn't feel so natural..... ( Coming from Golang + Erlang ).
4. JavaScript had numerous ways of doing one thing
5. The tutorials on the net were just so outdated... Except the Mozilla web tutorial and that one self was headache on its own in some aspect.....

6. I so love typescript... I don't know if my love for it is due to my experience in typed languages such as Golang and likes... As initially when I switched from Python to Golang. I hated typed languages till the last depth but now I find it difficult coping with dynamic languages inost cases but I can't deny the fact that dynamic language can be fun in several areas. I love it too..

JavaScript I believe is the most difficult programming language... ( My Opinion[/b]
Re: The Javascript Thread by Olalekank(m): 4:24pm On Feb 15, 2018
I have been battling with web for a while now.
Tried taking JavaScript last year and spent a few hours on it (and I don't think I went back to it until yesterday).

Now I became determined that I needed to take JavaScript yesterday (cos I need to know something to get a job) and resumed JavaScript just around yesterday/today. It's not much of a problem because I have basic knowledge of java and so the syntax is not that hard to use.

I'd resume back to learning this evening when I'm done with classes.

Please I'd like to ask
1. What textbooks can I use to learn effectively?
2. What is the learning curve of JavaScript and how long would it take me to move from beginner to intermediate?
3. What frameworks or libraries would you advise me to learn and at what point do I start picking them up?

Thank you for answers

pcguru1, yorex2011, directonpc
Re: The Javascript Thread by directonpc(m): 5:09pm On Feb 15, 2018
Olalekank:
Tried taking JavaScript last year and spent a few hours on it (and I don't think I went back to it until yesterday).

Now I became determined that I needed to take JavaScript yesterday (cos I need to know something to get a job) and resumed JavaScript just around yesterday/today. It's not much of a problem because I have basic knowledge of java and so the syntax is not that hard to use.

Please I'd like to ask
2. What is the learning curve of JavaScript and how long would it take me to move from beginner to intermediate?
3. What frameworks or libraries would you advise me to learn and at what point do I start picking them up?

Thank you for answers

Well done so far.

I am not exactly a javascript person (as I haven't built anything with node js and other popular libraries and frameworks).

However I have a very old pdf that teaches basic javascript. The kind you embed in your html to validate forms and do other cool stuffs. If that's OK, quote me again.
Re: The Javascript Thread by Olalekank(m): 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2018
directonpc:

Well done so far.

I am not exactly a javascript person (as I haven't built anything with node js and other popular libraries and frameworks).

However I have a very old pdf that teaches basic javascript. The kind you embed in your html to validate forms and do other cool stuffs. If that's OK, quote me again.
Please I'm interested. Thank you
Re: The Javascript Thread by directonpc(m): 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
Olalekank:

Please I'm interested. Thank you

or my number is at signature
mail sent. U can remove ur email address now.
Re: The Javascript Thread by yorex2011: 6:45pm On Feb 15, 2018
Olalekank:

Please I'd like to ask

Thank you for answers

You can get Eloquent Javascript. Its a free book I think and is very good.

You start basically the way you start learning a new programming language.

The only thing is that you don't need a special compiler as your browser would do.

Start learning variable,

Math operations,

String methods

Array methods

Functions

Objects

Scope - very important

DOM

JQuery

React or Vue
Re: The Javascript Thread by Olalekank(m): 7:19pm On Feb 15, 2018
yorex2011:

You can get Eloquent Javascript. Its a free book I think and is very good.

You start basically the way you start learning a new programming language.

The only thing is that you don't need a special compiler as your browser would do.

Start learning variable,

Math operations,

String methods

Array methods

Functions

Objects

Scope - very important

DOM

JQuery

React or Vue
Thank you very much bro.

Please how long would it take me to move from beginner to intermediate?
Re: The Javascript Thread by yorex2011: 8:02pm On Feb 15, 2018
Olalekank:

Thank you very much bro.

Please how long would it take me to move from beginner to intermediate?

I'm not an expert myself so i can't give you a definite figure, but if you're already comfortable with programming in another language, you can start building reasonable stuff in a month or less.

Just try to study too... Read articles not just books... Read about design patterns, look at some github repos.

Though I knew some Javascript, took me less than 2 weeks to get comfortable in react, within the next two weeks i started a react Native app which i helped me learn some more advanced concepts like Higher order functions, pure functions etc.

I recently even wrote my first pure Java android app despite only having theoretical knowledge of Java.

Try to task yourself too... Helps you learn, start simple but not too simple.

With knowledge of strings, arrays, functions, objects and DOM, you can implement a basic ludo game as a way of flexing your muscles.

Javascript is interesting but can also be annoying. Browser console and console.log should be your friend at all times grin

When you're done with the basics, send me a message let's do some real life stuff

Below are the two apps i did,
One was with React Native... Purely Javascript

The other was with purely Java,

And they are almost indistinguishable in terms of performance and feel.

One of the apps helps you generate invoices and mail to your clients.

The other converts your phone to a gateway and posts received sms containing a predefined key to a url eg sms "vote bl bla bla" to a number and the app intercepts any message that starts with vote and sends a post request to a url with the sms as the payload.

They are both simple apps but some good concepts where learnt along the way

Re: The Javascript Thread by Olalekank(m): 9:20pm On Feb 15, 2018
yorex2011:

I'm not an expert myself so i can't give you a definite figure, but if you're already comfortable with programming in another language, you can start building reasonable stuff in a month or less.

Just try to study too... Read articles not just books... Read about design patterns, look at some github repos.

Though I knew some Javascript, took me less than 2 weeks to get comfortable in react, within the next two weeks i started a react Native app which i helped me learn some more advanced concepts like Higher order functions, pure functions etc.

I recently even wrote my first pure Java android app despite only having theoretical knowledge of Java.

Try to task yourself too... Helps you learn, start simple but not too simple.

With knowledge of strings, arrays, functions, objects and DOM, you can implement a basic ludo game as a way of flexing your muscles.

Javascript is interesting but can also be annoying. Browser console and console.log should be your friend at all times grin

When you're done with the basics, send me a message let's do some real life stuff

Below are the two apps i did,
One was with React Native... Purely Javascript

The other was with purely Java,

And they are almost indistinguishable in terms of performance and feel.

One of the apps helps you generate invoices and mail to your clients.

The other converts your phone to a gateway and posts received sms containing a predefined key to a url eg sms "vote bl bla bla" to a number and the app intercepts any message that starts with vote and sends a post request to a url with the sms as the payload.

They are both simple apps but some good concepts where learnt along the way
Thank you bro.

One month it is, March 15th here we come. Please can I have your number to send you progress probably daily wink ?

Since you suggested jquery then React, I'd go that way. I've learnt many of the topics in your previous post and with the knowledge of java basics (up to classes and objects), picking up js isn't very hard

No be this same var ni that want to be giving me problem grin?

Is it react you use to build android apps please?

Nice work and UI by the way

I'm sorry for many questions!
Re: The Javascript Thread by yorex2011: 9:34pm On Feb 15, 2018
Olalekank:

Thank you bro.

One month it is, March 15th here we come. Please can I have your number to send you progress probably daily wink ?

Since you suggested jquery then React, I'd go that way. I've learnt many of the topics in your previous post and with the knowledge of java basics (up to classes and objects), picking up js isn't very hard

No be this same var ni that want to be giving me problem grin?

Is it react you use to build android apps please?

Nice work and UI by the way

I'm sorry for many questions!

You can use react to build native android and ios apps via their react Native library.

The reason i mentioned jquery is cos you won't need to use react for all apps.. So jquery will be useful there. But when your using react, there's no need to add jquery to it.
Re: The Javascript Thread by Olalekank(m): 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2018
yorex2011:

You can use react to build native android and ios apps via their react Native library.

The reason i mentioned jquery is cos you won't need to use react for all apps.. So jquery will be useful there. But when your using react, there's no need to add jquery to it.

Thank you bro!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Programming Index(Topic Ordered Listing of Programming Board Threads). / Meet 13year Old Wang Zhengyang, The Youngest Hacker In China / C Programming Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.