Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,110 members, 7,807,351 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

I need help Starting a building block making company - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I need help Starting a building block making company (10233 Views)

Need Help Starting Magazine Publishing Business / Block Making Machine Or Block Moulding Machine / Ice Block Making Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I need help Starting a building block making company by swiftycool(m): 8:13am On Mar 29, 2010
Hi there, am looking to return to Nigeria from the UK in 2011, to start a new construction company. I intend to start with manufacturing of vibrated hollow blocks, kerbstones and interlocking paving stones to NIS standard specifications. I intend to run this alongside an architectural design & design management firm.  Am a nigerian trained architect and UK trained construction project manager with valuable experience in residential and commercial areas. Eventaually i plan to marry the entire business towards mass residential and property development funded by various sources.

pls i need valuable inputs from professionals in any these areas, people who know about this stuff or information useful to me. towards acquiring right machinery, clientel sourcing marketing,  Building and planning regulations, investment costs, human resourcing, sub-contracts etc as related to this line. I intend to establish in Abuja or Portharcourt.

your inputs r wellcome, cheers
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by Dahbutter(m): 8:50am On Mar 29, 2010
Hmm interesting i hear Nigeria has now started embracing building regulations based on the alarming statistics of collapsing and fire gutted buildings. it would be a good thing to see a company which works on standards and according to regulations to achieve maximum quality. ill suggest you go to the NIS website for standard specifications. As per your architecture area, you can simply set up your design firm in Lagos , Abuja, Enugu or PH. but to keep up with regulations you must be NIA certified or be a member of ARCON
For block manufacture, i think with about N400k-N500K you should be able to start with a blockmaking good machine, generator and some labourers provided you have already have land and a ready market for your product
I believe am right or does anyone have contrary opinion or information?
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by Dahbutter(m): 9:02am On Mar 29, 2010
smiley
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by swiftycool(m): 7:40am On Mar 30, 2010
Thanks Dahbutter, please do u know if i can get the block moulding machines in Nigeria or if there are any resident distributors you can refer me to? Also are there any Govt legislations about locations for sighting such company due to noise and other associated logistics?
Am also wondering if there are any statistics/records of how lucrative this business can be. Ive got a large piece of land in PH, so i might be starting off there
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by GreatIroko: 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2012
Swiftycool, I know the years had rolled by, I'll like to know how you have fared; I just came into the country too, I plan to start off with the blocks and cement sales, then graduate to other areas I still have in the planning process,
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by bigbash(m): 8:35pm On Feb 05, 2012
Hi,
Vibrated block factory is a profitable business if you have the know-how, there are various estate and building site under going development, if you know your way. a single client can purchase 5000 pieces of block from if it is 9"inches it cost 180 (180 multiplied by 5000=900,000) if you in Nigeria especially in lagos you can see how people are eager to own a house, you can even add cement business along side sincerely the business is okay although every business has its ups and downs but to be candid this is a fantastic one will less competition, you need a little connection with developers and site engineers. as for the capital it depends on how you want to operate. with the know it will work

for daily production the followings are what is needed:
land(rented or bought)
moulder of the block (machine)
Lister Machine
pallets
cement
sand
wages for workers
diesel

thanks
Kareem Basheer

4 Likes

Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by bigbash(m): 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2012
Vibrating machine cost(if brand new) 150,000-180,000. apart from vibrating machine you need a lister machine (if brand new) 80,000-100,000
per hour it depends on some variables but averagely the machine can produce 120 pieces.

1 Like

Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by Krucifax(m): 9:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
@ Great Iroko and Big Bash pls contact me. I just might have a business you might be interested in if you are based in Abuja. I'm currently in London but i'll get into all that later.

Kind regards

Anthony
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by GreatIroko: 6:08pm On Feb 06, 2012
Spit it out Krucifax, lets see if it's a feasible one,
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by Krucifax(m): 12:39am On Feb 07, 2012
@ Great Iroko,it was a serious post and i was hoping to discuss it in private. Essentially i too came back to Nigeria(Abuja) last year and set up thesame exact bizness you are thinking of minus the cement part. If you are serious i will go into further detail.Here's my no u.k (+44)07580447157.

Regards

Anthony
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by lucabrasi(m): 9:43am On Jul 16, 2012
@poster
its been a couple of years now and you have not updated this thread.i am in your shoe now as i am moving back to nigeria(lagos)from london in a couple of months time.
i am planning to set up a block making industry moulding 9 inch and 6 inch hollow blocks to start with and i would appreciate it if you could share how your experience has been presuming you have followed your plans through thanks
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by swiftycool(m): 9:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
Hi all sorry, I've been off this thread 4 a while. Yes I started my company but situated it on a double plot in a fenced compound around the outskirts of lagos which afforded me the opportunity to source materials from Ogun state and supply products to Lagos.

I had earlier spent time working 4 a multinational construction coy where I made a few contacts with leads to potential mass product needing clients. I started off as a subcontractor for a main-contractor who got d outsourcing deal to supply blocks 4 a mass housing project.where I had to meet their specs and deliver on time.

I must admit, this business can be quite profitable but the major challenge is being able to sell at the fixed price payable by customers without compromising standards. At the prevailing price of blocks today, its impossible to achieve d recommended compressive strength imposed by regulatory bodies without running at a big loss, hence most lagos blockmakers supply weak blocks resulting in the collapses we keep seeing.

It is therefore important u market ur products to the right people who would appreciate and r willing to pay higher 4 your quality and it would be a double plus if u had ur own transport facility to convey products to customers quickly.
Good luck!

4 Likes

Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by Tunde20197: 6:04pm On Aug 22, 2012
hi guys,
swiftycool started this thread Mar 29, 2010.
Can you you guys give us more update on the business, as i intend to start a vibrated blocking factory very soon

Thanks all smiley

1 Like

Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by 175(m): 6:35pm On Sep 15, 2015
I hereby wake this thread up! Oya let's talk business! I've been in this line of business from childhood. My dad lives and breaths blocks literally. . .lol Anyways it's so much profitable when you Keep to the Industry Regulated Standard. Let me stop here first. Be right back.

2 Likes

Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by Roidatom(m): 9:51am On Apr 30, 2016
175:
I hereby wake this thread up! Oya let's talk business! I've been in this line of business from childhood. My dad lives and breaths blocks literally. . .lol Anyways it's so much profitable when you Keep to the Industry Regulated Standard. Let me stop here first. [size=14pt]Be right back[/size].

Be right back since 2015? smiley
Where are you?
Come back!

1 Like

Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by AreaFada2: 3:12am On May 16, 2016
SwiftyCool must be a busy tycoon by now. E don disappia. grin cheesy
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by architectHUrSH(m): 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2016
Hi all, can you share your experience? Especially on the aspect of meeting up with time, considering the fact that you have to leave blocks to dry for a particular period of time
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by HardMirror(m): 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2017
Where is everyone. Let's update this thread pls
Re: I need help Starting a building block making company by Guudies: 11:49pm On Nov 01, 2018
Greetings to U all. Am actually a novice in this business but very eager to venture into it.
Hence, I will appreciate your sincere response and answers to these 3 questions of mine.
1. What is the right mixing guage for block moulding?
2. How many number of blocks is supposed to be moulded from a bag of cement.
3. What is the standard compressive strength of a block? And how can this be possibly achieved?
Thanks for your kind response in anticipation

(1) (Reply)

How Future Proof Is Your Business? / Atedo Peterside On COVID-19: 'Nigerian Women Are Not More Responsible Than Men' / Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.