Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

The Best Yam Porridge Recipe - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Best Yam Porridge Recipe (1515 Views)

The Yam Porridge I Made With Just 2400. Very Delicious. Photos / Try This Yam Porridge Recipe And Thank Me Later / Nigerian Yam Porridge Without Palm Oil: How Make Yam Porridge In Tomato Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Yam Porridge Recipe by eneubane1(f): 4:28pm On Dec 04, 2017
Yam porridge is a very delicious meal eaten by most tribes in Nigeria but it’s more common in the Yoruba speaking parts of the country.

Nigerian yam porridge is made from puna yam which is boiled till it’s tender and cooked in a blend of ingredients. It can be served for breakfast, lunch or even dinner.

Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 25
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients
• 1/2 medium sized Puna Yam
• 1 medium sized Onion
• 1½ Starter Sauce (a blend of peppers, tomatoes and onions)
• 2 tablespoons of Crayfish
• 2 Smoked fish (Shredded) (optional)
• Any Leafy vegetables (optional)
• 2 Stock cubes
• Salt to taste
• 1/2 Cup fresh Palm Oil

Instructions
• Slice the onions and set aside. Blend some tomatoes, peppers and onions and keep aside for later use (that's if you don't have an already made tomato puree mixture)

• Peel and cut the yam into medium sized chunks and rinse a couple of times. Put the yams inside a pot, add water to cover the yams and let it cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.

• Add the starter sauce, palm oil, onions, cray fish, stock cubes and salt to taste then allow it to cook for an additional 15 minutes on a low heat.

• Now add the smoked fish. You can use whatever addition you prefer at this point, it's up to you to decide. Though its not compulsory.

• Mash the yams with a potato masher or a wooden spoon. You can mash everything into a creamy paste and you can mash most of the Yams and still leave some chunks behind.

• At this point, add the leafy vegetables if you're using any and allow the yam porridge to simmer for 5 more minutes and it is ready. Serve hot and enjoy.

Source: http://www.versatileblog.com.ng/2017/11/nigerian-yam-porridge.html

cc; lalasticlala, Mynd44, Ddominique, Obinoscopy, MissyB3

2 Likes

Re: The Best Yam Porridge Recipe by HRHQueenPhil(f): 5:59pm On Dec 04, 2017
looks delicious. will try it out dis week.

1 Like

Re: The Best Yam Porridge Recipe by Skyfornia(m): 9:01am On Dec 05, 2017
The thing you are doing to me, is it good? Give me your address I want to come stay with you. All these your delicious meals will not pass me by.
Re: The Best Yam Porridge Recipe by eneubane1(f): 2:37pm On Dec 05, 2017
You should dear.
HRHQueenPhil:
looks delicious. will try it out dis week.
Re: The Best Yam Porridge Recipe by eneubane1(f): 2:38pm On Dec 05, 2017
Lol... is not good, it's fair!
Skyfornia:
The thing you are doing to me, is it good? Give me your address I want to come stay with you. All these your delicious meals will not pass me by.
Re: The Best Yam Porridge Recipe by hypnotic(m): 2:33pm On Dec 06, 2017
meanwhile kitchen accessories can be gotten here

https://hadassahlingerie.smemarkethub.com/products/the-kitchen-store/

(1) (Reply)

The Rice Thread (jollof, Fried Or White? / The Most Horrifying Pics Ever Taken With A Camera (pics) / MY Experience With Lagos 01shawarma (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.