Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,832 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

God Transformed Me From A Dullard To A First Class Graduate : Event Manager - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / God Transformed Me From A Dullard To A First Class Graduate : Event Manager (753 Views)

What Is Your Experience As A 3rd Class Graduate / First Class Graduates Work For Me - Lady With Third Class Result / Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

God Transformed Me From A Dullard To A First Class Graduate : Event Manager by paulstrings(m): 8:16pm On Dec 04, 2017
- BAMIRO O. ISAIAH

Bamiro Opeyemi Isaiah was a dullard in Primary 4, but today he’s a First class graduate of Accounting from OAU and he’s a Professional Event Manager.

Interview conducted and compiled by Oladapo Siyanbola for CDT

In this interview with Corpers’ Diary Team (CDT), he shares his life experience, how he was able to graduate with First class, become a pro event manager, talks about national and relationship issues. Excerpts…

This interview is a bit lengthy but an interesting one, I can ASSURE you that you won’t be bored. Read, enjoy and share!!!

CDT- Could you please tell us a little about yourself?

ISAIAH- My name is Bamiro Opeyemi Isaiah, a native of Ijebu north east, Ogun state. I’m the last child of a family of 7 (5 boys, 2 girls). I’m an Accountant by Profession with a special interest in Finance, and I’m an Event Expert by passion.

CDT- A bit of your Educational background

ISAIAH- I had my Primary School Education at Orisigun Primary School, Ketu, Lagos state, and then my Secondary school was at Ijebu-Ode Grammar School (JOGS), Ijebu Ode in Ogun state and I studied Accounting at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. I’m a Graduate Member of the Nigeria Institute of Management and by God’s grace, I will soon become a Chartered Accountant.

CDT- How was growing up like for you?

ISAIAH- Well, growing up was really tough, especially those primary school days. My primary education was really poor. Imagine when a primary 4 student cannot read and write! I’m sure you understand what I mean.

CDT- Let's talk about your OAU journey. You graduated with a first class from OAU and surely it wasn’t an easy one. You even said as at when you were in Primary 4, you couldn't read and write, so how were you able to switch from the little boy who couldn't read and write in Primary 4 to a First class graduate of OAU?

ISAIAH- Well, I went back to God, the creator of both the foundation and the building. He changed my story for better. The OAU journey wasn't a smooth one though, everything was different in OAU, and almost everyone in my class was a brilliant student. I wasn't trying to be like anyone I just wanted to be my best. I set targets for myself and I strived to meet them with the help of God. Well, I never had the intention of graduating with a first class in OAU; as a matter of fact, my first result in OAU was a “C”. But you see me as I am ehn, I like prize, just attach a prize to a goal and then I will do all I can to achieve it. The quality of the prize does not really matter to me; it’s the achievement of the goal that gives me fulfillment.

CDT: So which prize was attached that changed the whole story

ISAIAH- In GSF OAU (academic subgroup) then, exceptional students were always celebrated at beginning of every semester for good performance in the previous semester, so I just wanted to be part of those that will be called out as well. I had the first class vision when I was in part 2 and what actually inspired that vision was my Church convention (GOFAMINT) that I attended that year. Some set of graduates were celebrated at that year’s convention for graduating with a first class. GOFAMINT church gave them laptop and money. Apart from what the church gave them, lots of people also gave them personal cheques. I was inspired that day and I told myself that I will do whatever I can to also graduate with a first class.

CDT-
So let's switch gears from your education now. You studied Accounting in the University, but you are now a Pro Event Manager, How did Event Management come into the picture?

ISAIAH- Laughs… Well it all started back then in University, I was not totally a bookish, I also did some extracurricular activities. I was in decoration subgroup in my fellowship and as time went by, I started developing passion for decoration. My passion got me searching for more practical knowledge because I knew there was more to what we were doing in the fellowship. I then applied for an internship at a popular event company (K&I Trendy) in Ile-Ife. I got the internship slot, so I started managing the internship with my academics.

CDT- So how was it like combining school activities (that you even still graduated with a first class) with the decoration activities in church and the internship? Knowing that there would have been clashes between these activities.

ISAIAH- It was not easy but I simply set my priorities right. My academics was first, I didn’t miss my classes for anything oo, church decoration was always on Saturday evenings, my internship took my Friday evenings and Saturday mornings (not every weekend though)

CDT- How many months/years was your internship period?

ISAIAH- I used about 1 and half year in Ile-Ife.

CDT- What year did you start Event Management as a pro?

ISAIAH- I started as a professional in 2015, that was after my basic and advanced class in event planning and decoration at Fruitful Bridals in Lagos state

CDT- [/b]Going back to the genesis, what was the major drive that led you into decoration? What made you join decoration subgroup of the fellowship?

[b]ISAIAH-
Joining the decoration subgroup was accidental; I never liked anything about the subgroup sef. Like most people say decoration na ladies stuff na. So after my foundation school, I was posted to the decoration subgroup, for general service for few weeks. It’s after this general service that I was at liberty to join the subgroup of my choice (which was academic subgroup). After the general service, the members of the decoration subgroup pleaded with me to wait for few more weeks as there was nobody to help with the climbing of the ladder, I waited ooo and it was in the cause of waiting that I eventually fell in love with the subgroup.

CDT- Uunnnn..... So climbing of ladder was the starting point and that was where the passion developed from?

ISAIAH- Abi ooo (laughs)

CDT- Which event was your first job that you did as an Event decorator?

ISAIAH: That was my class dinner party (2015 OAU Accounting graduates- “Los Vencedores”).  I really appreciate my classmates (Los Vencedores) a lot, the feedback I got from that job gave me the courage to start my own company and also the first wedding decoration I got came from Los Vencedores. I thank my classmates for believing in me.

CDT- Which event has been the best for you so far?

ISAIAH- KM'17 (wedding). It’s the biggest I have done, and the result was massive. It’s the biggest because of the amount of money involved and that was the first time I handled that kind of money for a project.

CDT: [/b]On the contrary, which event would you say is the 'awkward one'? Probably the one that didn't turn out well as you thought or you didn't get any positive feedback

[b]ISAIAH
- Can't really think of any. In short what has kept me going are comments from my client and I believe I can do more

CDT- But there must have been an event that you would feel things didn't really go well as you planned

ISAIAH- OK. That would be Joy & Ade'17, we didn't get to use all the props we brought because of time. Even when the client appreciated me for the good job done, I felt somehow, because it would have been better if not for some issues with light.

CDT: What was the reaction from your family when you decided to start an Event Management company, even though you studied accounting? You know African parents can be like 'How does accounting relate to decorations"

ISAIAH -As expected, dad didn't support the idea at first, but I assured him not to worry. It’s a matter of time I’d bring out the best in me and to God be the glory; I’m now a first-class event manager in the making.

To read full excerpt, visit: http://lifeafternysc.com/god-transformed-me-from-a-dullard-to-a-first-class-graduate/

cc: lalasticlala, 1forall , CrazyMan

1 Like

Re: God Transformed Me From A Dullard To A First Class Graduate : Event Manager by TheMainMan: 8:21pm On Dec 04, 2017
Go well and succeed in life

1 Like

Re: God Transformed Me From A Dullard To A First Class Graduate : Event Manager by Jochabed(f): 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2017
That's God for you,he knows how to beat our imaginations...Ride on bro.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery Recruitment Test / Nigerian Wins Highest Geophysicists Award In US / Advice Needed: Living/starting A Life With #50,000 Around Gbagada Area, Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.