Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (20281 Views)

My Mom's Pineapple Plantation And Harvest (Pictures) / Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? / Palm Oil Plantation And Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by dab00: 2:58pm On Dec 10, 2017
Plaintain is more profitable than banana but challenging. I am into the business in ondo state currently and I have about 10 hectares of plantain plantation. Email me on chidiebereubochi@ yahoo.com for assistance in your bussines.

2 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by okewumi: 3:21pm On Dec 10, 2017
Op, pls just plan very well. Internet will tell you that it is profitable but nobody will tell you where to sell. Nobody has ever talk about middle men or interface that can buy and sell to industries.

Or you target are market women that will buy 10 today and 5 next month. Do your work permit you to be sourcing for the market women to buy and you want to ho into it as full time job?
I have plantain farm as well outside my state of work and l am yet to harvest. I have spent a lot of my savings on it grin. When l asked the guy that introduced me to the business where to sell, he started saying 'iya Ganiya and Baba Sukura will buy on market day grin we are just watching ourself in 3D at the moment.

6 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by fapcrook(m): 3:22pm On Dec 10, 2017
DKJaleel:
Banana is for the boys, Plantain for the men.

Plantain is bigger and better and it fills more.

Banana will give you jedi jedi but Plantain will give you orgasm

Davido is banana, just 2 baby mama. 2baba is Plantain with plenty baby mama

Banana cannot make dodo, Plantain can make dodo

Plantain will make for us our trademark Amala and the leaves will shield our beloved ewedu to keep it fresh

Goats fancy Plantain more and we have more GOATS than monkeys in Nigeria

Plantain is more effective in making jazz than banana..
comments like this make me think some people dheyyy madhhhhhhhhh, you make me laugh mehnnn
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by fapcrook(m): 3:29pm On Dec 10, 2017
stolenstone:
A Plantain Planter Planted Plantain in the Plantain Plantation
Is this your contribution so far? You try no be small

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by domack99(m): 4:11pm On Dec 10, 2017
okewumi:
Op, pls just plan very well. Internet will tell you that it is profitable but nobody will tell you where to sell. Nobody has ever talk about middle men or interface that can buy and sell to industries.

Or you target are market women that will buy 10 today and 5 next month. Do your work permit you to be sourcing for the market women to buy and you want to ho into it as full time job?
I have plantain farm as well outside my state of work and l am yet to harvest. I have spent a lot of my savings on it grin. When l asked the guy that introduced me to the business where to sell, he started saying 'iya Ganiya and Baba Sukura will buy on market day grin we are just watching ourself in 3D at the moment.

God Bless you,

This is the major aspect people are not looking into. A lot of people went into plantain farming last year and buying the sucker at high prices, also viewing in 3D on what is going to happen to the market this year.

My token, please do not go into farming without a source of water, not talking about stream that will dry up abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Bestchisom(m): 5:33pm On Dec 10, 2017
giles14:
you can go for but
thanks....but which is more economically appreciated
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by olly6559: 6:15pm On Dec 10, 2017
Clapping for some Nairaland internet farmers response!! A bunch of bananas cost about N300 naira here in a mrk at Erunmu, Ibadan while a bunch of plantain goes btw N700 - 1500 depending on its finger sizes. Even a bunch purchased in d mnth of Sep along Gbongan-Osogbo express rd was N1000 despite the truth that they produce fruts in excess around that area. It depends, they eat lots of bananas in the east unlike in Southwest, do your home work thoroughly before u commence planting and remember to intercrop with maize/melon/soya beans/potatoes inorder to save cost on monthly weeding. Plantain/banana plantation isn't a cheap and quick buz.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Smartademu(m): 8:17pm On Dec 10, 2017
Can I grow plantain in Nassarwa state using borehole for drip irrigation?
emmanuelpopson:

the soil isnt moist enough to give plantain its needed water and nutrients.. mind you.. the plantain tree is 90% water and so couldn't grow well in an arid region as the northern part of the country... down South, we have a rain Forest vegetation and wet loamy soil...thanks for the question..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by emmanuelpopson(m): 9:03pm On Dec 10, 2017
Smartademu:
Can I grow plantain in Nassarwa state using borehole for drip irrigation?

why not.. the borehole will serve you the water and you need a sprinkler( that will automatically sprinkle the water ) to do the job for you..the soil must be moist with this method...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by domack99(m): 9:12pm On Dec 10, 2017
emmanuelpopson:

why not.. the borehole will serve you the water and you need a sprinkler( that will automatically sprinkle the water ) to do the job for you..the soil must be moist with this method...

I believe a drip irrigation will be most efficient and and effective if the source of water will be borehole

2 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Bestchisom(m): 9:16pm On Dec 10, 2017
Ugoeze2016:
I am not into farming but I should think that plantain plantation would be more profitable. Good luck
ok thanks

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Bestchisom(m): 9:25pm On Dec 10, 2017
joinnow:

Correct. When I was in Ibadan. I visited iita.
Meet mr.?? In charge of platain & banana.
The guy open my eye for the biz.
You basically start with 1000 suckers so you can call it a full time job.

As a strategy, he identifies breeds that are more productive – high-yielding and pest-resistant varieties.

At the beginning of the planting season, you buy 1,000 suckers at N120 each, which adds up to N120,000. When you harvest you will get 1,000 bunches of plantain which you will sell for at least N1400 each. So, you will make about N1.4 million.

this is cool....would you mind sharing the knowledge about the high yielding and pest resistant varieties

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Bestchisom(m): 9:28pm On Dec 10, 2017
okewumi:

nice point....i was also thinking of how to do the sales....
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by joinnow: 9:53pm On Dec 10, 2017
Bestchisom:

this is cool....would you mind sharing the knowledge about the high yielding and pest resistant varieties

Its IITA Ibadan that develop the variety and they sell theirs #80 if you are buying more than 100.

2 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by joinnow: 10:06pm On Dec 10, 2017
Bestchisom:

nice point....i was also thinking of how to do the sales....

One aspect of farm biz farmers neglect.
I also observe that you don't have business plan. If you do you should have know your target market and your Marketing strategies.
1. If you are in interior local government then join Afam they will connect you to buyer.
2.Have a saleoutlet
3.Meet 5 company that are producing planrain flour be their supplier of plantain.
4.Meet 5 companies or individual producing platain chip be their supplier
5. Sell at public/ open/fruit market
6.if all fail charter a truck bring them to big market eg in Lagos (Mushin)
7.you can sell online thru social media, your website or others website, forum etc
Wish you success

3 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by joinnow: 10:10pm On Dec 10, 2017
olly6559:
Clapping for some Nairaland internet farmers response!! A bunch of bananas cost about N300 naira here in a mrk at Erunmu, Ibadan while a bunch of plantain goes btw N700 - 1500 depending on its finger sizes. Even a bunch purchased in d mnth of Sep along Gbongan-Osogbo express rd was N1000 despite the truth that they produce fruts in excess around that area. It depends, they eat lots of bananas in the east unlike in Southwest, do your home work thoroughly before u commence planting and remember to intercrop with maize/melon/soya beans/potatoes inorder to save cost on monthly weeding. Plantain/banana plantation isn't a cheap and quick buz.

Ibadan banana no biam joor.
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Teeisaac(m): 2:06am On Dec 11, 2017
Don't try banana go for plantain
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 7:02am On Dec 11, 2017
The new maggot production is not from Poultry waste or rotten animal flesh but purely organic & will not smell

It will reduce your cost of feed by minimum of 60%

Feed produce from Maggot farming will take care of different animals...all Poultry birds, Goat,Ram,Cow,Pig,Rabbits, Snail,Fish
Interested farmer in this platform who wants to learn should join me on WhatsApp group training.

Cost is only #5000.00.

Step by step pictures and video will be posted as well.
Only those that pay will be put on the training WhatsApp group 08120528950 coming up on 16th -17th December, 2017 by 2pm - 3.30pm.

Payment details
Boluwajoko Gbenga
GTB: 0115155779

Send name & WhatsApp number to whatsApp 08120528950 after payment

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 11, 2017
godsamist:
Remember bros this is annual crops,both of this plants are profitable, but banana Butch cost more than plantain .
Here in the east one head of plantain good looking cost #1800,while a very good looking banana cost been #2000 to 2,#2500. And remember your site matters a lot,How safe is your site?
Currently I am enjoying this biz,looking foreword of expanding this biz...at least having up to hundred stand is a lot of money with less effort, Bros jump on board and thank me later!
When I see a lie, I will jump over you!

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 11, 2017
joinnow:

As a strategy, he identifies breeds that are more productive – high-yielding and pest-resistant varieties.

At the beginning of the planting season, you buy 1,000 suckers at N120 each, which adds up to N120,000. When you harvest you will get 1,000 bunches of plantain which you will sell for at least N1400 each. So, you will make about N1.4 million.
Add labour cost,carriage,weeding,fertilizer ,replacements and pruning the you can see clearer. What baffles me is that some folks do the maths in addition and multiplication only they leave subtraction off the game.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by dynamix101(m): 10:47am On Dec 11, 2017
happybrother:

Add labour cost,carriage,weeding,fertilizer ,replacements and pruning the you can see clearer. What baffles me is that some folks do the maths in addition and multiplication only they leave subtraction off the game.

Thats the plan. So that greedy suckers will fall head over heels for the scam
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by abbyphilips(f): 10:58am On Dec 11, 2017
Why not do both.. also i would want you to make your produce present all year round. By this i mean, you should make the produce available in all seasons esp when they are not common. By then your price is high and you make more profit.

Lk sept to march... plantain is abundant and cheap.
So make it available during the scarcity months..
grin grin... just my opinion

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by joinnow: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2017
happybrother:

Sorry my bad, but even at that big profits is to be made bruuh.

Abi you want to monopolized plantain plantation.
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by ekstopher: 1:54am On May 09, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/5832460/3-tips-manage-risks-plantain

I think you suys should also read this on managing risks in plantain farming

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by RuggedSniper: 10:27pm On May 27, 2020
Lesgupnigeria:
Plantain is more profitable than banana.

Plantain has more market value than banana.

Go for plantain and thank me later

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by louken(m): 11:58am On Apr 20, 2021
brownsugar23:
Presently am into plantain started the process since may having 12 plot of land and am still yet to finish. Planting about 750 sucker. That business is capital based all my salary goes to that business you pay worker and so na. I pray � God see me through in the time of harvest
Boss how did it go? I hope you had a good yield. What advice will you give to someone planning to go into the business?

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Nikeruka(m): 11:54pm On Apr 20, 2021
louken:

Boss how did it go? I hope you had a good yield. What advice will you give to someone planning to go into the business?
Waiting for the response too
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by AlphaTaikun: 7:22pm On May 19, 2022
joinnow:

2017... Insights.
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by AlphaTaikun: 7:30pm On May 19, 2022
BoluwGoldenFarm:
The new maggot production is not from Poultry waste or rotten animal flesh but purely organic & will not smell

It will reduce your cost of feed by minimum of 60%.

Feed produce from Maggot farming will take care of different animals...all Poultry birds, Goat,Ram,Cow,Pig,Rabbits, Snail,Fish
Interested farmer in this platform who wants to learn should join me on WhatsApp group training.

Cost is only #5000.00.

Step by step pictures and video will be posted as well.
Only those that pay will be put on the training WhatsApp group 08120528950 coming up on 16th -17th December, 2017 by 2pm - 3.30pm.

Payment details
Boluwajoko Gbenga
GTB: 0115155779

Send name & WhatsApp number to whatsApp 08120528950 after payment
60%!
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by AlphaTaikun: 7:32pm On May 19, 2022
ekstopher:
https://www.nairaland.com/5832460/3-tips-manage-risks-plantain

I think you guys should also read this on managing risks in plantain farming
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by AlphaTaikun: 7:39pm On May 19, 2022
joinnow:

One aspect of farm biz farmers neglect.

I also observe that you don't have business plan. If you do you should have know your target market and your Marketing strategies.

1. If you are in interior local government then join Afan they will connect you to buyer.
2.Have a saleoutlet
3.Meet 5 companies that are producing plantain flour be their supplier of plantain.
4.Meet 5 companies or individual producing platain chip be their supplier
5. Sell at public/ open/fruit market
6.if all fail charter a truck bring them to big market eg in Lagos (Mushin)
7.you can sell online thru social media, your website or others website, forum etc
Wish you success
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by AlphaTaikun: 8:10pm On May 19, 2022
Alexanity:
My mum does both plantain and Banana plantation and I tell you Banana is more profitable, reason is becuase banana bunch is usually far bigger than plantains bunch and banana has the capacity to multiply faster than plantain in the couse of time, again banana has better root so during dry season their survival rate is better than plaintain with shallow root, I know based on which has better usage, yes plantains may be more nutritional and all of that but plantain is more like a food while banana is more like a fruits and for the record fruits had been more costly than most other food

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Any Idea Of Where I Can Source For Ogbono And Crayfish @very Cheaper Rate / Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. / Understanding The National Egg Production (NEGPRO) Scheme & How To Participate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.