Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,216 members, 7,780,405 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:43 PM

Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" (50679 Views)

Two Nigerian Pastors Use Same Woman For Same Miracle / Daddy Freeze Shares Mobile Bank App For Tithes And Offerings For Churches / Why Pastors Use Private Jets And A Question For OAP Freeze - By Ife Olaleye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by certifiedking(m): 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Lol...Mr Devils advocate, you fail to mention that all these churches have welfare units too and the welfare units are funded by members themselves and not from church tithes.
The MFM instance you gave, the borehole must have been built by tasking members to contribute specially for it. Christ Embassy have a unit they call Inner City that does these charity works; Guess who funds Inner city? Church members who are called partners. So when you see any charity work from such a church, it is not from the tithes but from extra donations from members.

For those saying that no pastor forces people to tithe, you are joking. Most churches don't wed you if your tithe record is not up to date. Have you forgoten how Adeboye was boldly declaring last year that you are not a christian if you don't pay tithe. Now that the truth is coming out, the pastors are gradually retreating their earlier stance and making it sound like a freewill donation.

Nonsense!! This is just hearsay
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Yyeske(m): 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2017
Dnockeror333:

Please, can you expouse more on the above good insinuation:

What are tithes payed with?

Who are o pay tithe, or who did The Almighty God said should pay the 1/10th?

When should this tithe be payed by those who are to pay them?

And according to Deutheronomy, where and how should a tithe be payed?

With the last question above, how is Deuthronomy different from the tithe of Malachi?

Thankyou. Expecting `an honour' by your reply.
Perfect questions and these are questions all these GOs, pastors would never discuss with the congregation.
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by DLondonboiy: 6:46pm On Dec 06, 2017
bionixs:
sad enough,you sounded LIKE a goat. Problem of most Christians is that they don't know where their bible is ,let alone reading to know what it says on issues,yet they would come NL and make loudest noise. Where in the bible were you permitted to ask or know what TITHE is used for? Quote a place, I have a bible here

Did Jesus ever collect tithe? Did the Apostles ever collect tithe? So where did tithe start from after Jesus fulfiled the law?
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by God2man(m): 6:47pm On Dec 06, 2017
Oga femi, do you think they will believe you?

They are hell bent to continue the argument on tithe till God knows when
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Honestagbons(m): 6:54pm On Dec 06, 2017
He life change for a reason,because God want it to change,ur time as come broda.
donstan18:

Your life changed when God wanted it to, you can't bribe God,

Don't be deceived!
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by DJperdurabo: 6:55pm On Dec 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
the discussion is not just about what they do with tithes but rather the legality of Christian tithing in the first place

Why can't they understand that this is what the argument is about!
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Kbanka: 7:22pm On Dec 06, 2017
OP said this one is an investigative journalist.

OP then said he is the one the pastors call to facilitate all the goodwill.

Which way naa
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by obatoro: 7:32pm On Dec 06, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Lol...Mr Devils advocate, you fail to mention that all these churches have welfare units too and the welfare units are funded by members themselves and not from church tithes.
The MFM instance you gave, the borehole must have been built by tasking members to contribute specially for it. Christ Embassy have a unit they call Inner City that does these charity works; Guess who funds Inner city? Church members who are called partners. So when you see any charity work from such a church, it is not from the tithes but from extra donations from members.

For those saying that no pastor forces people to tithe, you are joking. Most churches don't wed you if your tithe record is not up to date. Have you forgoten how Adeboye was boldly declaring last year that you are not a christian if you don't pay tithe. Now that the truth is coming out, the pastors are gradually retreating their earlier stance and making it sound like a freewill donation.

A large jar of cold juice for you.
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by YaxxVille(m): 7:43pm On Dec 06, 2017
See this oga journalist they are talking about churches that run 4 Private Jets.
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by YaxxVille(m): 7:47pm On Dec 06, 2017
Oga certifiedking i really feel what u said. It is really the churches collectring tithes n running Private Jets
certifiedking:

Nonsense!! This is just hearsay
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by greatdude: 7:54pm On Dec 06, 2017
The funny thing is that despite all these shouting shouting on NL and other social media, the tithes are evergrowing. grin
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by oodua1stson: 7:55pm On Dec 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
the discussion is not just about what they do with tithes but rather the legality of Christian tithing in the first place
you de mind the ogufe.

It's like saying a thief hleps his community from his loot
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by otipoju(m): 8:08pm On Dec 06, 2017
Desyner:

The GOs aren't giving weak responses, spiritual angle to any issue is always superior to any logical explanation on earth.
The GOs are giving us the foundational principles of tithing and I am sure only God's instruction restricts them from revealing what they give out.

Brother leave story.

You don't get it. If the Pastors keep saying that the old testament is redundant and that we are under a new covenant, then how can you justify benefiting from tithing when that system that tithing Springs from has passed away.

Pastors are not levites....either by blood or by requirements. They own houses and property like everyone else. .so why must we give them tithes.

Moreover after Christ had paid the sacrifice for sin and the veil had been torn imto two making man not to need no human mediator between him and God, (which was the function of the High priest in the Old Testament ). Therefore the pastor has no spiritual authority to receive Tithes from christians.

Especially when they do very little to benefit the widows orphans and foreigners who were also entitled to the tithes. Them they chop am alone.

Also do you know that you are also meant to chop all your Tithes too. Save it up an throw a feast with your family in church.

It's all there in the bible....Old Testament.

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by jpphilips(m): 8:10pm On Dec 06, 2017
dainformant:
While the issue of tithing appears to be causing ripples and division among Nigerians, an investigative journalist and writer, Femi Owolabi, has come to the defence of some pastors and what they do with the tithes and offerings they get from the church.

Femi Owolabi took to his Facebook account to speak on the trending issue. Below is what he posted...

I live around Yaba area of Lagos. From Sabo down to Iwaya, you see boreholes donated by Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, MFM.

Many months ago, I was working on a report and I needed to carry out some laboratory tests. When I got to University of Lagos' Chemical Engineering lab, I was directed to the university's central lab which I gathered is the largest and most equipped. Entering, I saw that the lab was donated by Daniel Olukoya, founder of MFM who is actually an alumnus of the school.

As much as the leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, embarrasses itself on the pages of newspaper, CAN runs one of the largest displaced persons camps in the northeast. For three years that I have been mobilizing relief materials for displaced persons in the northeast, aside individuals and a few NGOs, Christian organizations have been a larger donor of relief materials. My phone would ring, and the caller goes, "I am Pastor JJ. We have bags of cloths, please how do we get these to the displaced persons in the northeast?"

Charis Family Church, in 2015, opened its facility as a collection center for relief materials. The pastor, Bayo Adeyinka, and a team raised almost a million naira to sort logistics.

Just yesterday, another pastor whose church's team once gave me bags of relief materials for IDPs, told me they have 33k left in the account, and he asked what this can sort for the IDPs. He also wants us to meet this week so he can drop with me, bags of relief materials.

A man reached out to me many months ago. He needed information on how he can move 1000 cartons of flour (or wheat?) from Lagos to any of the IDPs camps in the northeast. I did a check on the man, he is a pastor.

In Lagos here, the Catholic Mission and a couple of other missionary hospitals are always on medical outreach to the IDPs.

I understand there is an ongoing debate on whether or not paying tithe is a Christian practice. Sincerely, those arguing against come with strong points. And sadly, responses from Daddy GO and others are so weak, far from convincing.

Get it right, it is the duty of Lagos Water Board to provide water for Lagosians, but MFM now shares in this responsibility. It is the duty of NEMA and the Refugees' Commission to attend to the victims of insurgency, but CAN and a couple of other Christian organizations share largely in this.

So, above all, if I am paying tithe or giving church my money, I do so because of some of these things I have mentioned in this post

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/12/journalist-femi-owolabi-speaks-on-the-issue-of-tithes-and-offerings.html

Someone that collected millions of dollars returns with a borehole then a charge and bail journalist thinks its cool.
When will Nigerian youths have sense?
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Wirelessmic(m): 8:12pm On Dec 06, 2017
donstan18:

Don't be deceived!
You know nothing about giving it is obvious.
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Wirelessmic(m): 8:14pm On Dec 06, 2017
I pay tithes and I listen to my Pastors advice If you don't like 4th that come and take transport fare to third mainland bridge

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by PaChukwudi44(m): 8:20pm On Dec 06, 2017
felixomor:

Tithing was already being done before the law.
Read Abraham and Jacob lives

Besides i hope u are not the type of Christian that disobeys ten commandments because Jesus died on the cross.
Thats risky doctrine

Circumcision also predated the law but we all know how the apostle Paul treated it in Galatians. Do you st Paul was wrong?
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by ofai: 8:24pm On Dec 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

Circumcision also predated the law but we all know how the apostle Paul treated it in Galatians. Do you st Paul was wrong?

Answer his question and stop being smart by half.
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by felixomor: 8:29pm On Dec 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

Wait o.
I hope you are not circumcised sha?

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Dnockeror333(m): 8:45pm On Dec 06, 2017
Yyeske:
Perfect questions and these are questions all these GOs, pastors would never discuss with the congregation.

They are in MIXTURES...!
The mixture of fear (fear them!)
The mixture of shaking toward them
Thr mixture of our ignorance to these once honourably durbed "men of god!"
`servant?' Call them servants at your own peril! (Fear...!!!)

Do we see...?

How can we asked them when their evil powers will begin to mak our knee tremble...!

May God protect us!
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Dnockeror333(m): 8:47pm On Dec 06, 2017
Yyeske:
Yyeske:

They are in MIXTURES...!
The mixture of fear (fear them!)
The mixture of shaking toward them
Thr mixture of our ignorance to these once honourably durbed "men of god!"
`servant?' Call them servants at your own peril! (Fear...!!!)

Do we see...?

How can we asked them when their evil powers will begin to mak our knee tremble...!

May God protect us!

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by kokomilala(m): 8:50pm On Dec 06, 2017
Pachukwudi44, you have to put it in context.You ask yourself the question, is the Bible ,particularly, the New Testament,written for this generation? The Pharisees, or more broadly speaking , The Sahendrin, was the governing council of that time in religious matters. Now, that typified the church today in a sense.Administrative sense.
Abraham wasn't coerced into paying tithe.He paid Melchizedex, King of Salem and a Priest of the Most High God.This Priest typified Jesus.And He blessed Abraham.God has given Heaven and earth to Abraham. I'm trying to show you a mystery.God tested Abraham 10 times.Some of these tests were about giving.The last one in Gen.,22,where He asked him to give Isaac. God was showing him what He God would do about 4000 years later by giving Jesus.
The promises God promised Abraham are 7 fold,Gen.12.The greatest is that through him all humanity would be blessed.After the promise came the test.When he passed the last one in Gen.,22 God sealed that promise eternally. He descendants went their own way but Gal. 3:13 tells us we would get the blessings through Christ.
What I'm trying to say, in a nut shell is this: obedience to the Word of God guarantees God's blessings.
The Bible and the package of salvation are not for only the Jews of that age.It was done for the whole human race.Because that was God's original plan encrypted for ages,but revealed to the apostles and prophets.

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by osazsky(m): 8:50pm On Dec 06, 2017
and our immans are busy brainwashing children on how to carry out suiside attack spits
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Dnockeror333(m): 8:53pm On Dec 06, 2017
[quote author=otipoju post=63042417].

Brother leave story.

You don't get it. If the Pastors keep saying that the old testament is redundant and that we are under a new covenant, then how can you justify benefiting from tithing when that system that tithing Springs from has passed away.

Pastors are not levites....either by blood or by requirements. They own houses and property like everyone else. .so why must we give them tithes.

Moreover after Christ had paid the sacrifice for sin and the veil had been torn imto two making man not to need no human mediator between him and God, (which was the function of the High priest in the Old Testament ). Therefore the pastor has no spiritual authority to receive Tithes from christians.

Especially when they do very little to benefit the widows orphans and foreigners who were also entitled to the tithes. Them they chop am alone.

Also do you know that you are also meant to chop all your Tithes too. Save it up an

Said Deutheronomy...!

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by IForgotMyLoginD(f): 9:07pm On Dec 06, 2017
You misunderstand me. "My sheep hear My voice, they know My voice". Christ said that. John 10:14,27

I know when my Master speaks to me. I'm building on the foundation of Gods word. But I let His Spirit interpretes what needs to be passed as a message to me.

Peter and Paul had a confrontation Gal2:11-13. Paul and Barnabas had a misunderstanding and parted ways Acts15:36-41 .... Is that enough for me to OK having misunderstandings and stand my ground cos the apostles too wer human enough to strife? NO.

I'm not here to debate. My point is, just as God used that generation, He is using this generation. Everyday, the Sovereign Lord shows us ways to love Him and ways He wants to use us. His Ways.

If the disciples didn't pay tithe, and God asks me to pay through His Spirit (NOT thru any preaching), will I argue with Him to show me wer apostles paid in the Bible?

I'll maintain my stand. 1Cor 2:11. Let the Spirit of God tell you the mind of God and stop using human logic to decypher Kingdom things.

PS- We condemn the Jewish leaders for killing Jesus.... Remember they killed Him cos they felt they wer obeying God's law. Their own "Word of God". It never occurred to them that the Sovereign Lord will not use their interpretation of His promise. The promised King they were expecting wasn't a carpenter but someone who will overthrow the Roman empire and liberate them.

Human logic. Kingdom things. They didn't believe Jesus, humble Jesus was the Christ cos they expected Him to come a certain way, be a certain way

Goshen360:

I pray you don't jump into .....lol because you're building on a different foundation other than Christ and His Apostles which are the foundation of the Church and you are the body of Christ. More like what Adeboye said, the Spirit convinced him tithe is right. Excuse me, how do we verify every spirit if not by the complete word.
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by pezeji(m): 10:04pm On Dec 06, 2017
spongeisback:

Your god not my god you've a problem with that then go get your life together.
how u dey learn for school
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by bionixs: 11:06pm On Dec 06, 2017
DLondonboiy:

Did Jesus ever collect tithe? Did the Apostles ever collect tithe? So where did tithe start from after Jesus fulfiled the law?
did Jesus ask you to stop ? If He addressed some of the existing principles that had to be amended but never touched on tithing, still his silence on it never suggested to you that its still ok,i wonder what would clear you on that. For your mind,why are the pastor feeding well whereas they should be starving. You cant pay,you would let those pay and dont complain to have peace

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by GoodMuyis(m): 11:31pm On Dec 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

how exactly is that question invalid? [s]you mean we are not supposed to follow the examples of Jesus and his disciples[/s]

It is invalid Question because Tithes are to be taken to the House of God, not an individual. And it is not debatable whether the practice of tithing is nonexistence during Jesus earthly ministry.

By the Way let me reverse freeze question to you

Show me where Jesus or His disciple declare that we should not pay tithe

1 Like

Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Kingspin(m): 12:30am On Dec 07, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Giving is not by force, if u want to give give and if you don't wanna give don't give... Is more simple than ABC...
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Kingspin(m): 12:33am On Dec 07, 2017
donstan18:

Don't be deceived!
If you like to give to the poor give themmm. Its same right both u givers have...
Re: Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" by Caseless: 6:33am On Dec 07, 2017
Now, somebody with a sense is speaking. Unlike those airheads trying to defend the practice blindly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophet Wale Olagunju 2021 Prophecies: Buhari Terminally Sick, Coup If.... / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, Orji Uzor Kalu, Tinubu, Saraki Greet Gani Adams / Pastor Chukwudi Okoh: "Letter From Ogboni Fraternity Threatened Me"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.