Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West (24124 Views)

Raymond Dokpesi Visits Igbinedion, Esama Of Benin Over PDP Chairmanship / PDP Chairmanship: Prince Uche Secondus Meets With Delta Delegates / PDP Chairmanship: Prince Uche Secondus Meets With Imo State Delegates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Islie: 6:30am On Dec 07, 2017
• Ladoja likely to emerge deputy chairman

• Yoruba aspirants reject consensus candidate

By Ismail Omipidan, Remi Adefulu (Lagos), Tony John (Port Harcourt), Obinna Odogwu (Abakaliki) and Sylvanus Viashima (Jalingo)

Strong indications emerged yesterday that the 19 northern states and the FCT chapters of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) may have resolved to ditch the South-west in the race for the national chairmanship of the party.

If that happens, it means former acting national chairman, Prince Uche Secondus, may as well carry the day, Daily Sun gathered.

Apart from the north, it was further learnt that the South-East delegates would go in one direction, in solidarity with the South-South.

Daily Sun also gathered that those backing Secondus from the north have also tipped former Oyo State governor, Senator Rashidi Ladoja to emerge as deputy national chairman (South), just as it resolved to back Hajia Inna Ciroma as deputy national chairman (North) and Senator Umar Tsauri, as national secretary.

Although another meeting of the group is expected to hold tomorrow night, sources revealed that nothing “substantial” was expected to change from the arrangement.

“The only thing that may change is the position of the deputy national chairmen for both North and South. Ladoja was tipped because he is seen as someone who is level-headed and since we are going for Secondus who is relatively younger, we need Ladoja as a stabiliser from the South-west. As for Mallam Ciroma’s wife, you know she is with the Adeniran’s camp. So, anything can happen to her choice between now and Saturday morning,” the source said.

Before now, aspirants from the South-west and their supporters enjoyed the sympathy of the north and had even offered to give the zone bloc votes to enable. But at a recent meeting in Abuja, stakeholders from the North, especially the North-west, may have reviewed their earlier stance with a view to backing the only aspirant from Rivers State for the party’s plum job.

Specifically, Daily Sun gathered that the decision to support South-south for the position was reached at a recent meeting in the home of a former Sokoto State governor, which was reportedly attended by 14 top party chieftains. They included former vice president, Namadi Sambo, former Kaduna governor and national caretaker chairman, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, former Jigawa governor, Sule Lamido, a member of the Board of Trustees (BoT) and former foreign affairs minister, Aminu Wali, Senator Hayatu Gwarzo and former special duties minister, Kabiru Turaki.

Others were former Sokoto State governor, Attaihiru Bafarawa, former Katsina governor, Ibrahim Shema, former Sokoto deputy governor, Mukthar Shagari and former acting national chairman of the party, Dr. Bello Haliru.

The meeting unanimously agreed that since the South-west were unable to come up with a consensus candidate from among the six of them that have shown interest, and considering the crisis in the zone, it was in the best interest of the party to allow the South-south produce the next chairman.

“It is true that a meeting was called in Abuja. It was convened at the instance of the stakeholders from the North-west zone.
We were worried about the development in the South-west. All of us in the North have sympathy for the South-west. But what else can you do when those you are trying to assist are unwilling to assist themselves?
“South-south presented us with just two aspirants. But your people refused to step down for each other. They could not come up with a consensus candidate. We said ok, give us two of them so we could choose, again, they failed us. So, in that circumstance, what do you want us to do? We had to forget about them and switch our support for the South-south, which appear to be more organised,” one of the sources at the meeting told Daily Sun.

Another member of the party, who incidentally has been elected as a national delegate to the convention, who though did not attend the meeting, but who is very close to one of the principal actors, confirmed that the meeting indeed took place on November 9.

Confirming the decision of the north to dump the South-west for South-south, a senior member of the party and a former federal lawmaker, who incidentally is a member of the BoT told Daily Sun that the South-west played into the hands of the South-south by their actions and inactions.

“The north has sympathy for South-west. If they had actually managed the issues very well and come up with one person, perhaps we may not have any justification to dump them. But from the way they have mismanaged this chairmanship issue, if we give them the position, we may never get out of the crisis that will follow till 2019 general election. And we want to avoid that pitfall.

“Fayose, who is the only PDP governor from the zone and who is the chairman of the PDP Governors’ Forum made it clear that he does not want the position, either in his state or in the zone. He threatened that if we insist that South-west must have the position, he will leave the party. For God’s sake, what do you want us to do? We reckon that South-west is a very important and strategic zone that we must not ignore, but their leaders have not done anything to help their case?

“Only yesterday (Tuesday) there was another court pronouncement over the leadership tussle in the zone. Now, it may get to the Supreme Court. So, we are afraid of witnessing another (former Osun State governor Olagunsoye) Oyinlola scenario, where a court nullified his election as national secretary of the party in 2013. You know it was the South-west zonal leadership crisis that led to Oyinlola’s ouster.

“So, just imagine the collateral damage it will have on us if we witness such a thing in 2018? To play safe, we are looking the way of the South-south. Please, no one should blame us for taking this position, it is in the best interest of our great party and that of the country,” the BoT member said.

With less than five days to go, Makarfi, the convention planning committee chairman and Delta state Governor, Mr. Ifeayi Okowa and other top members of the party were yesterday in Minna, Niger State where they held a close door meeting with General Ibrahim Babangida at his Hilltop mansion.

The delegation which included the Taraba State Governor, Dairus Ishyaku, Senate Minority Leader, Abdul Ningi and Senator Ben Obi were also at the Government House on a courtesy visit to Governor Abubakar Sani Bello.

The meeting with Babangida lasted for about one hour. Although journalists were not allowed into IBB’s house, it was, however, gathered that the parley was to brief IBB on preparations for the convention since “IBB has been playing positive and leadership role in the run up to the convention.”

The team left the state through the Minna International Airport at about 3.15pm.
Reacting to the charge against Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State, his media aide, Mr. Lere Olayinka told Daily Sun that he was at a loss as to what they expected his principal to do in the circumstance.

According to him: “When they say he (Fayose) was not supporting any aspirant from the zone, he asked them which of the six will he support? Or they just want him to start following the six of them across the country to campaign? He does not have the power to prevent the South-south from showing interest. He can’t impose the will of the South-west on the South-South.”

Ahead of the make or mar convention, Ebonyi State governor, David Umahi said delegates from South-East region would take common position on who to back.

Umahi stated this yesterday at the party’s secretariat in Ebonyi, when a chairmanship aspirant and chairman of DAAR Communications, Raymond Dokpesi, came to canvass for votes in the state.

“We just had a meeting in Umuahia, Abia State. They agreed to give us direction; that we are going to meet in Abuja and take a common position. Common position in the sense that in the past, we voted blindly.

Now, we’ll seek negotiation with anyone they want us to vote for. The person will agree on what he will do for us,” he said.

Meanwhile, the PDP chapter in Rivers State has unanimously endorsed Secondus, even as it dismissed claim of imposing any aspirant on delegates.

State Chairman of the party, Felix Obuah, at a joint press conference of PDP stalwarts and members of the House of Assembly in Port Harcourt, described Secondus as a God-fearing man who had paid his dues from the state, zonal and national levels, adding that the former acting national chairman has the wherewithal to lead the party successfully.

http://sunnewsonline.com/pdp-chair-north-dumps-south-west/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:38am On Dec 07, 2017
shocked

I will say something reasonable when this post gets to promise land

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Obijulius: 6:40am On Dec 07, 2017
Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Mynd44: 6:50am On Dec 07, 2017
A chairman and Deputy from the south?

The PDP is playing a dangerous game sha. They need the SW and can't afford another tussle.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Efezik007(m): 6:51am On Dec 07, 2017
Ok
Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by orisa37: 6:51am On Dec 07, 2017
Keke-Napep Dance again!!!
Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by shosky1794: 6:55am On Dec 07, 2017
PDP with all their shenanigans. I guess it's safe to say PDP is dead in the west.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by emmie14: 7:00am On Dec 07, 2017
Superficial unity that exists in south west just to undermine the political interests of south east only. South -south all the way.

7 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by hatchy(f): 7:05am On Dec 07, 2017
I'm just confused like the PDP.

I don't know what to comment now, I'll wait till tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by jollymizzle(m): 7:09am On Dec 07, 2017
Mynd44:

The PDP is playing a dangerous game sha. They need the SW and can't afford another tussle.
very dangerous game, they better just postpone the convention to iron this important issue out. Atiku needs to sort this if he wants one vote from the southwest. because all this seems like taking the southwest for granted. something Gej learned too late, that he had to break open central bank just to rain dollars while making lagos his permanent residence . I was actually hoping for a close race so politicians will know not to take the electorate for granted, but pdp are making it too easy for APC at the moment.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Bari22: 7:09am On Dec 07, 2017
PDP just confused themselves, and wait after they fail election in 2019 they will still blame APC for their failure.

Before now, I used to say PDP has internal arrangement more than any party in Nigeria but that one is before.

Zoning chairman and vice to South south and south east is nothing but suicide, marginalising southwest is not a good bet for any party that wants win an election in Nigeria. I'm a northener but I have since realised this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Flyingngel(m): 7:09am On Dec 07, 2017
PDP shld allow us to hear something abeg.

8 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 07, 2017
Mynd44:

Chair : S
Dpty: S
President : N
VP : N

3 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by jollymizzle(m): 7:17am On Dec 07, 2017
emmie14:
Superficial unity that exists in south west just to undermine the political interests of south east only. South -south all the way.
pdp southwest being in shambles does not equate to lack of unity. people like me don't care about the pdp,even though we are not totally happy with the APC. if we had a third option I'm telling you even APC would be terrified. pdp is just about to make another mistake just like they made with sheriff. I'm not saying secondous is not fit.pdp needs southwest and Atiku needs to find a way to get southwest pdp to unite, to work for him else the party will fail in southwest. giving APC even more advantage than they have at the moment. I want a close race between pmb and Atiku but at the moment it's not looking good for pdp, there's still time though.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by agwom(m): 7:19am On Dec 07, 2017
Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by ratcock: 7:26am On Dec 07, 2017
Mynd44:

Point of correction, pdp has two deputy chairmen one from the north and the other from the south. I hope this clears up your confusion.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by seunmsg(m): 7:32am On Dec 07, 2017
PDP chairman: Secondus

Deputy chairman: Ladoja

Presidential candidate: Atiku

VP candidate: Obi.

And they said they will defeat Buhari/Osinbajo in the south west with the above combination. Bunch of jokers.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Nobody: 7:48am On Dec 07, 2017
I guess PDP/Atiku don’t need the SW?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by manutdrichie(m): 7:50am On Dec 07, 2017
grin
Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by QuotaSystem: 7:50am On Dec 07, 2017
Well played cool

PDP will now effectively become an eastern regional party with Secondus and Wike finally burying its carcass.

Atikuchukwu the secessionist backer will not like this grin.

17 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Sunky200: 7:51am On Dec 07, 2017
"19 northern states" so the middle belt is no more in existence?

journalists are giving the hausa/fulani the awareness and strength they are fast~losing in Nigeria political space.

Well, they package and repackage all they want, one thing I know for sure is that 'I will not vote for a fulani'

5 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Ugosample(m): 7:52am On Dec 07, 2017
jollymizzle:
very dangerous game, they better just postpone the convention to iron this important issue out. Atiku needs to sort this if he wants one vote from the southwest. because all this seems like taking the southwest for granted. something Gej learned too late, that he had to break open central bank just to rain dollars while making lagos his permanent residence . I was actually hoping for a close race so politicians will know not to take the electorate for granted, but pdp are making it too easy for APC at the moment.

SW over estimating their importance lmao grin grin

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Daboomb: 7:54am On Dec 07, 2017
Mynd44:

jollymizzle:

No, let them play their dangerous game!
PDP has always been a dangerous party from day-one!

It simply plays more into the hands of APC. 2015 on 'repeat-mode'. undecided undecided
May our enemies always act against their own interes
t (Psalm 100).
grin grin grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 7:54am On Dec 07, 2017
Why not.
They know how very useless. The west is to them. All their investment is in the south south.
And south east
So to speak, nxt yr will be like 2015, the north and South west for APC the south and South East for PDP.
Can we just skip this money spending thing as we already know how the result will be

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by mrvitalis(m): 7:55am On Dec 07, 2017
Atiku played his card too early

With the governors in charge of the party they can play him like they did to sherif

He should have waited till after the convention to be sure his choice candidate was made chairman

Now wike and fayose have PDP in their hands

Well played I most say , I have always underrated this two and being unsmart but to play sheriff and Atiku all in one year is a great achievement

7 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by manutdrichie(m): 7:55am On Dec 07, 2017
Mynd44:

Deputies are always two for each zone, if you read again you will see Ciroma wife as deputy for the north

10 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by QuotaSystem: 7:55am On Dec 07, 2017
PMB and Osibanjo now have the SW + North (a.k.a almighty formula) firmly in their grip.

Atikuchukwu how makate?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by emmie14: 7:56am On Dec 07, 2017
jollymizzle:
pdp southwest being in shambles does not equate to lack of unity. people like me don't care about the pdp,even though we are not totally happy with the APC. if we had a third option I'm telling you even APC would be terrified. pdp is just about to make another mistake just like they made with sheriff. I'm not saying secondous is not fit.pdp needs southwest and Atiku needs to find a way to get southwest pdp to unite, to work for him else the party will fail in southwest. giving APC even more advantage than they have at the moment. I want a close race between pmb and Atiku but at the moment it's not looking good for pdp, there's still time though.

Na you sabi. I don't know
Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Beress(m): 7:56am On Dec 07, 2017
South West cannot be trusted!

They are camelions!!

8 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 07, 2017
The poster above me is a political neophyte. The political implication of this move is that the SW would likely produce the VP for 2019. Every political move is like a game of chess, it has implications.

9 Likes

Re: PDP Chairmanship: North Dumps South-West by lawal28c: 8:00am On Dec 07, 2017
na lie joor,they want to give it to Dokpesi so dey can use AIT to publish,broadcast and advertise for free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Orakwue Arinze: 60 Per Cent Of Hawkers In Italy Are Nigerian Girls / Video Of Governor Ganduje Endorsing Akpabio For Senate Presidency / VIDEO Of The Debate Between APC & PDP Youths On Channels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.