Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,844 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria (5490 Views)

Emma Anyanwu Disowns His Son, Charles, Loyal To Amaechi / Wike Sacks Board Of Directors Loyal To Amaechi / Photos: Thugs Loyal To PDP Allegedly Attack APC Chieftain In Gombe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by mbulela: 4:58am On Mar 30, 2010
From Kunle Akogun and Sufuyan Ojeifo in Abuja, 03.30.2010
There was a blend of agitation and drama yesterday when the role of former Information and Communication Minister, Prof. Dora Akunyili, in the dissolved cabinet of ailing President Umaru Musa Yar’ Adua came under focus in the Senate.

It all happened during her screening by the upper legislative chamber as a prospective returnee-minister.
Senate Chief Whip and arrow head of the pro-Yar’Adua men in the Senate, Senator Mahmud Kanti Bello, put Akunyili at her wits’ end, saying her role was divisive and against national unity.

Bello’s question tended to portray the former minister as a traitor “cooking dishes” for First Lady Turai Yar’Adua only to allegedly move against the family.
In her response, which came amid bouts of rowdiness in the Senate, Akunyili defended herself, saying, “I’m loyal to him (President Yar’Adua), I’m loyal to the constitution and I’m very loyal to the country, Nigeria.”
At the height of President Yar’Adua’s prolonged absence from the country on medical ground, Akunyili had written a memo to members of the Executive Council of the Federation (EXCOF), asking for Dr. Goodluck Jonathan to be empowered.

She also granted a series of interviews to some newspapers and television stations where she alluded to a cabal in the Presidency holding the country down.
Yesterday, Akunyili was the third and last nominee to appear before the upper legislative house on the first day of the screening that may extend beyond the next two days.
Meanwhile, Acting President Jonathan has forwarded the names of five more ministerial nominees to the Senate for confirmation, bringing the total to 38 now before the upper chamber.

Senate President David Mark read Jonathan’s letter under announcement.
Four of the nominees who were members of the dissolved cabinet are former Minister of Environment, John Odey; former Minister of State for Finance, Mr. Aderemi Babalola; former Minister of Transport, Hon. Ibrahim Isa Bio; and former Minister of State for Commerce, Mr. Humphrey Abbah.
The fifth nominee representing Benue State is Special Adviser to the state Governor Gabriel Suswam on Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Mr. Sam Odeh.
Of the 14 nominees slated for screening yesterday, only four - former Minister of State for Agriculture, Mrs. Fidelia Njeze, former Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Prince Adetokunbo Kayode (SAN), and Akunyili - were screened.

But Akunyili’s screening, which ended yesterday’s session, turned dramatic when Senator Bello (PDP, Katsina North) rose to ask her questions.
He questioned her nationalism and patriotism against the backdrop of the role she played as Information Minister.
Bello questioned her claim of the existence of a cabal in the Presidency, wondering how she could not have been a member of the cabal when she identified with the First Family and, in fact, was a very close friend of the First Lady Turai Yar’Adua.

Attempts by Senator Lee Maeba (PDP, Rivers South-east) to block Bello’ s question through a point of order were frustrated by the Senate President who clarified Bello’s question and refocused Akunyili on the specific issue she was asked to address.
After an initial rowdy session on the floor, Akunyili said: “I want to state here very respectfully that I have always tried my best to be a nationalist right from when I was in NAFDAC.

“I worked for the whole country. The people that were supposed to be involved in drug counterfeiting were actually my own people. But I did not spare them because of my interest in Nigeria as a nation and the Nigerian people as my own people.”
Some senators applauded her; some others murmured their disapproval of the statement.
Then Akunyili continued: “Then coming to the cabal, Senator Kanti Bello mentioned…
Distinguished senator said that I was supposed to be part of the cabal and he went on to say that I was cooking dishes for Madam (Turai). Sir, I never cooked for Madam (Turai).”

Mark interjected, saying “That bit is not part of the question.”
Akunyili went on: “Thank you Sir,” adding, “Again, I was not in any way part of the cabal and I want to state here very clearly that President Yar’Adua is my boss, my big brother. And everybody knows he is a fine gentleman and with beautiful spirit, but when we started having issues in the system; when we started having problems, I decided…”
It was at this point that some senators became somewhat rowdy again; forcing the Senate President to stand on his feet and to repeatedly hit the gavel on the table to call the house to order.

Mark cited Order 63 of the Senate Standing Rules (2007 as Amended), which states inter alia: “Whenever the President of the Senate or the Chairman rises during a debate, any senator then speaking or offering to speak shall sit down and the Senate or the committee shall be silent so that the President of the Senate or the Chairman may be heard without interruption.”
According to him, “For those who are new on the floor here, once the President of the Senate stands up, you must stop talking. Let me just remind everybody that we must conduct ourselves in a responsible manner.

“We are on live television; whatever your views, you have an opportunity to express it. This is the first time that I would stand up as the President of the Senate. I would not want this to happen again. We have got a nominee in our front here. We must conduct ourselves properly, please.”
Facing Akunyili, he directed her to wind up on the question she was answering.
Akunyili responded: “Consequent upon my close relationship with Mr. President, when he became ill, I organised a fast with my workers and my household and the Director-General of the FRCN was part of the fast.

“I also booked 90 days Novena mass for him in Saint Leo’s Parish, Ikeja, when he went to the hospital. This can be cross-checked. That shows you that I have nothing against our President. I am loyal to him; I am loyal to the Constitution and I am very loyal to the country-Nigeria.”
She wanted to continue, but the Senate President ended it for her, though the rowdiness on the floor also continued.
Mark, at this point, thanked her and asked her to take a bow.

As Akunyili was leaving the chamber, she went in the direction of Bello and greeted the senator.
The former minister’s screening is to continue this morning in the same Committee of the Whole Senate.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by mbulela: 4:58am On Mar 30, 2010
all these comedians,
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:07am On Mar 30, 2010
mbulela:

Akunyili responded: “Consequent upon my close relationship with Mr. President, when he became ill, I organised a fast with my workers and my household and the Director-General of the FRCN was part of the fast.

[b]“I also booked 90 days Novena mass for him in Saint Leo’s Parish, Ikeja, when he went to the hospital. This can be cross-checked. That shows you that I have nothing against our President. I am loyal to him; I am loyal to the Constitution and I am very loyal to the country-Nigeria.”[/b]She wanted to continue, but the Senate President ended it for her, though the rowdiness on the floor also continued.
Mark, at this point, thanked her and asked her to take a bow.

As Akunyili was leaving the chamber, she went in the direction of Bello and greeted the senator.
The former minister’s screening is to continue this morning in the same Committee of the Whole Senate.

Yes ooooo, she is a SAINT oooooo grin grin!!! where are those hallos ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by mbulela: 6:32am On Mar 30, 2010
u don come again, Kobo?
How far for that Fashola thread?
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by sjeezy8: 6:38am On Mar 30, 2010
damn shes sooo annoying she should just be quiet and let everythin play out- its like shes desperate
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by chigo4u: 7:29am On Mar 30, 2010
very desperate. she is only loyal to herself not any nig. mrs betrayal
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by yahoo2(m): 7:48am On Mar 30, 2010
I watched it in the news. She was almost crying. It seems the whole house is against her. Poor Dora!
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by marvix(m): 7:51am On Mar 30, 2010
Dora you are too much, that's what matured politics look like she didn't hav 2 join issues wit d senator but her response made him look childish.
Afta her screenin she went in d direction of the senator and still greeted him as if to say no hard feelings my broda and 4 ur info I'm untouchable because Jesus is with me.
Dora kip it up and I'll recommend u as Nigerias first female president as there shld also be rotation of presidency btw male nd female
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02am On Mar 30, 2010
Dora should expect this, and I even expected a tougher challenge.

Reminds me of Sanusi, who the Senators had dared not to confirm, but he ended up finishing all of them, showing them he was way ahead of them in intellect.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 30, 2010
Those who critisize Dora are simply one of two categories

Either they have a very shallow understanding of how Politics should work or they are simply masking their intentions about the Yar'adua situation into something else.

Why can't people understand the difference between The Minister of Information (MOI) stating the position of the FEC in press conferences and a member of FEC who happens to be the MOI advising her colleagues about an issue of National Concern.

As MOI she simply told Nigerians that the FEC position is that they have not seen any new evidence to declare Yar'adua incapacitated (this was the official position of FEC, she does not have to believe it. She just has to state it to the public as discussed in meetings). But as a Minister and member of FEC her personal opinnion was to advice the FEC that they needed to come to realisation that Yar'adua is gravely ill and submitted a memo in that regard. Why can't people understand these two situations.

This does not amount to any form of U-TURN. It simply means being an honest team player. You do your job because you are part of the team but also ready to tell the team the truth when you consider it absolutely necessary to do so.

Telling Yar'adua to go and take care of his health does not amount to loving or respecting Yar'adua any less. It simply means you are willing to tell your friends the truth. I don't understand why people can't understand this simple fact. Dora has never in all her public statements criticized Yar'adua. She has always praised his character and continues to do so. SO WHERE IS THE U-TURN?
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by hardywaltz(m): 9:08am On Mar 30, 2010
Not a Dora fan, but i honestly pray she gets through. Her maturity is commendable.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by hardywaltz(m): 9:16am On Mar 30, 2010
mikeansy:

Either they have a very shallow understanding of how Politics should work or they are simply masking their intentions about the Yar'adua situation into something else.

Why can't people understand the difference between The Minister of Information (MOI) stating the position of the FEC in press conferences and a member of FEC who happens to be the MOI advising her colleagues about an issue of National Concern.

As MOI she simply told Nigerians that the FEC position is that they have not seen any new evidence to declare Yar'adua incapacitated (this was the official position of FEC, she does not have to believe it. She just has to state it to the public as discussed in meetings). But as a Minister and member of FEC her personal opinnion was to advice the FEC that they needed to come to realisation that Yar'adua is gravely ill and submitted a memo in that regard. Why can't people understand these two situations.

This does not amount to any form of U-TURN. It simply means being an honest team player. You do your job because you are part of the team but also ready to tell the team the truth when you consider it absolutely necessary to do so.

Telling Yar'adua to go and take care of his health does not amount to loving or respecting Yar'adua any less. It simply means you are willing to tell your friends the truth. I don't understand why people can't understand this simple fact. Dora has never in all her public statements criticized Yar'adua. She has always praised his character and continues to do so. SO WHERE IS THE U-TURN?
I support you on this one.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by naso2(m): 9:20am On Mar 30, 2010
mikeansy:

WORD.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by marvix(m): 9:32am On Mar 30, 2010
Mikeansy thanks very much you cldnt hav said it beta, that's wat I hav bin tryin to expres on this forum, thanks once again.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by meexteriox(m): 9:42am On Mar 30, 2010
mikeansy:

I agree with you in entirety.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by otukpo(f): 9:48am On Mar 30, 2010
IT IS DORA, ANY DAY ANY TIME.

WHY HATE THIS WOMAN FOR NOTHING?
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 30, 2010
This writer captures my take

THE SCREENING OF DORA AKUNYILI
By D. K Merije

Loyalty. This is one of the most priced commodities in Nigerian politics today. Knowing when (and how) to show and knowing when (and how) to switch political loyalty is the difference between life and death politically. Atiku’s years of loyalty to Shehu Musa Yar’Adua earned him the PDP Vice-Presidential ticket in 1999 and 2003. It was the same Anenih that justified the incarceration of OBJ under Abacha that metamorphed into OBJ’s “Mr Fix-It”. Everybody understands; showing and switching loyalty, if done right, pays politically.

So, Dora Akunyili could be forgiven for, suddenly, distancing herself from Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, politically, in the heat of the saga surrounding the President’s health. It was a deft political strategy. Even though she had been very close to the ailing President and had had no qualms in the past with toeing the government line (even against the interests of “the people”) by now championing a course that was both populist and capable of ingratiating her with the rising fortunes of the then Vice-President, she was exploiting a “win-win” situation. She would both redeem her image with the people and advance her personal status by switching political loyalties.

It worked. Even though some people were quietly disgusted by the brazen about turn, it was difficult to accuse her of being a political opportunist when she had also, simultaneously, taken the moral high ground. Moreover, as pointed out above, everyone understands that switching loyalties, when done right, is an acceptable thing in Nigerian politics.

Dora’s real problems began with the further steps she took after the story of her controversial memo had “leaked” to the public. She started running her mouth; branding other people “a cabal” and presenting herself as the only courageous and upright person in the Cabinet. It took the efforts of a lot of people to push Jonathan into the position of acting President; civil society, the media and the Senate combined to make it happen. But Dora Akunyili hugged the lime-light. It was one thing to circulate an internal memo; it was another thing to go to town with a loud speaker against the same government that was paying your salary. Her actions alienated a lot of people who were, otherwise, in agreement with her memo. She was, in effect, burning her candle from both ends; provoking her enemies and offending her friends. A groundswell of opposition quietly built to her re-nomination as a Minister.

She did not make the first list of ministerial nominees published by the media. This was despite her prominent role in pushing for Jonathan’s elevation to the status of acting President. Other prominent pro-Jonathan elements, like Senator Bala Mohammed, made the list. Dora was probably left out because of the controversy her utterances had generated and the fact that she had demonstrated how loose a canon she could be. But she has always been a polarizer; you either hate her or you love her. Proving her capacity as a political survivor, she got included in the list sent to the Senate at the last minute.

But she faced little sympathy in the Senate. There seemed to be a silent agreement to nail her; to expose her as an over-ambitious political climber who would do, and say, anything to advance her own position. The obvious arrow head for the plot would be the Senators from Yar’Adua’s own state, Katsina. Dora’s presentation, dripping with her usual self-assurance bordering on arrogance, did not help her precarious situation. She leaned slightly on the podium, beginning with the words, “I am Dora Akunyili…”, spoken with provocative force. The first Senator to be called to question her was the Senate Chief Whip, Senator Kanti Bello. He was supposed to coldly ask questions that would bring Dora’s professionalism and conduct as the Minister of Information into question- Do you think the way you handled the situation was in the nation’s best interest? Don’t you think you played a bit too much to the gallery? The Senate would have quietly looked the other way and let Dora sweat for “over-doing” things. The former Minister would have been made to eat humble pie and learn to manage her zealotry better.

But Senator Kanti Bello fumbled. He lost his objectivity and his cool. Three times the Senate President gave him an opportunity to ask a calm question that would put Dora’s professionalism squarely on the table but the Senator from Katsina let his personal feelings get in the way. He berated Dora in a way that bordered on offensive. Nigeria is a complex country, littered with dangerous fault lines. The Senator was asking his question across one of Nigeria’s most explosive fault lines; North/South. He was a muslim Northern male questioning a Christian Southern female. His provocative tone completely changed the dynamics of the screening of Dora Akunyili. Suddenly, both female and Southern senators were taking offence at the Senate Chief Whip’s manner. In a second, considerable support swung the way of Dora Akunyili. Voices began to be raised, shouting down the Chief Whip. Dora should take a bow and go! Proceedings were adjourned abruptly. Dora Akunyili took a bow and went.

It is not yet over, though. The Senate would still have to decide whether or not to confirm her nomination. There are two options. Option A- the indignation a lot of Senators felt at the way Senator Kanti Bello questioned Professor Dora Akunyili would hold and guarantee her the Senate confirmation. Option B- the offended Senators would be pacified and made to remember that, regardless of how Kanti Bello put it, the original point he was making was that Dora Akunyili may have let her personal ambition get the better of her in the handling of a national crisis; an opinion that many of them hold. If that happens, the Senate would block her confirmation. Either way, Dora is going to get a brutal education in Nigerian politics. The same one that Anambra State handed down to Professor Soludo. It takes more than being a “super star” to get this job done. For one, you have to show loyalty and when you switch loyalty, you have to do so with care.

In the end, Dora Akunyili would probably be rescued by Kanti Bello’s mistakes. But let her not be deceived by it, she would have only escaped by the skin of her teeth. Changing Nigeria is not the same thing as fighting fake drugs. To her patriotic zeal and intellectual prowess let her add the ability to take on her foes without alienating her friends. If Dora does not learn how to control her propensity to want to be the biggest star in the room, she may discover that her greatest legacy would remain the eight years she spent in NAFDAC. When she left she took her shine with her and NAFDAC was back to what it was before she got there. That is exactly the point Obama was making when he said that Nigeria needs strong institutions not strong men- or women. Super stars may play really well but if no one builds the team, nothing changes, really.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/the-screening-of-dora-akunyili.html
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by OYBMEND: 9:52am On Mar 30, 2010
mikeansy:

spin doctor general  grin grin grin

You are correct sha!!!! 100% with you on this one.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by saokea(m): 10:04am On Mar 30, 2010
Our Loyalty should foremost be for our beloved country, then others can follow.
Dora demonstrated this very well. She showed her loyalty towards our president and made her stand known in order to move the country forward.
If she had not made that move to put the country first, we may still be getting misinformed by the formal AG.
I admire her courage!!!
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 30, 2010
saokea:

Our Loyalty should foremost be for our beloved country, then others can follow.
Dora demonstrated this very well. She showed her loyalty towards our president and made her stand known in order to move the country forward.
If she had not made that move to put the country first, we may still be getting misinformed by the formal AG.
I admire her courage!!!
nigeria is a sovereign nation and the president is the symbol of that sovereignity,therefore the president is the first upholder of the constitution.since he is the number one citizen,all loaylty are directed to him.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 30, 2010
mikeansy:

I agree with, but not entirely. I guess the problem we all had with her was the convenince and timing of her declarations. She sure managed to wake up from her slumber to voice her 'personal opinions' at a point where she was very sure the President wasn't coming back.  undecided  undecided
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 30, 2010
Jarus:

This writer captures my take

THE SCREENING OF DORA AKUNYILI
By D. K Merije

Loyalty. This is one of the most priced commodities in Nigerian politics today. Knowing when (and how) to show and knowing when (and how) to switch political loyalty is the difference between life and death politically. Atiku’s years of loyalty to Shehu Musa Yar’Adua earned him the PDP Vice-Presidential ticket in 1999 and 2003. It was the same Anenih that justified the incarceration of OBJ under Abacha that metamorphed into OBJ’s “Mr Fix-It”. Everybody understands; showing and switching loyalty, if done right, pays politically.

So, Dora Akunyili could be forgiven for, suddenly, distancing herself from Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, politically, in the heat of the saga surrounding the President’s health. It was a deft political strategy. Even though she had been very close to the ailing President and had had no qualms in the past with toeing the government line (even against the interests of “the people”) by now championing a course that was both populist and capable of ingratiating her with the rising fortunes of the then Vice-President, she was exploiting a “win-win” situation. She would both redeem her image with the people and advance her personal status by switching political loyalties.

It worked. Even though some people were quietly disgusted by the brazen about turn, it was difficult to accuse her of being a political opportunist when she had also, simultaneously, taken the moral high ground. Moreover, as pointed out above, everyone understands that switching loyalties, when done right, is an acceptable thing in Nigerian politics.

Dora’s real problems began with the further steps she took after the story of her controversial memo had “leaked” to the public. She started running her mouth; branding other people “a cabal” and presenting herself as the only courageous and upright person in the Cabinet. It took the efforts of a lot of people to push Jonathan into the position of acting President; civil society, the media and the Senate combined to make it happen. But Dora Akunyili hugged the lime-light. It was one thing to circulate an internal memo; it was another thing to go to town with a loud speaker against the same government that was paying your salary. Her actions alienated a lot of people who were, otherwise, in agreement with her memo. She was, in effect, burning her candle from both ends; provoking her enemies and offending her friends. A groundswell of opposition quietly built to her re-nomination as a Minister.

She did not make the first list of ministerial nominees published by the media. This was despite her prominent role in pushing for Jonathan’s elevation to the status of acting President. Other prominent pro-Jonathan elements, like Senator Bala Mohammed, made the list. Dora was probably left out because of the controversy her utterances had generated and the fact that she had demonstrated how loose a canon she could be. But she has always been a polarizer; you either hate her or you love her. Proving her capacity as a political survivor, she got included in the list sent to the Senate at the last minute.

But she faced little sympathy in the Senate. There seemed to be a silent agreement to nail her; to expose her as an over-ambitious political climber who would do, and say, anything to advance her own position. The obvious arrow head for the plot would be the Senators from Yar’Adua’s own state, Katsina. Dora’s presentation, dripping with her usual self-assurance bordering on arrogance, did not help her precarious situation. She leaned slightly on the podium, beginning with the words, “I am Dora Akunyili…”, spoken with provocative force. The first Senator to be called to question her was the Senate Chief Whip, Senator Kanti Bello. He was supposed to coldly ask questions that would bring Dora’s professionalism and conduct as the Minister of Information into question- Do you think the way you handled the situation was in the nation’s best interest? Don’t you think you played a bit too much to the gallery? The Senate would have quietly looked the other way and let Dora sweat for “over-doing” things. The former Minister would have been made to eat humble pie and learn to manage her zealotry better.

But Senator Kanti Bello fumbled. He lost his objectivity and his cool. Three times the Senate President gave him an opportunity to ask a calm question that would put Dora’s professionalism squarely on the table but the Senator from Katsina let his personal feelings get in the way. He berated Dora in a way that bordered on offensive. Nigeria is a complex country, littered with dangerous fault lines. The Senator was asking his question across one of Nigeria’s most explosive fault lines; North/South. He was a muslim Northern male questioning a Christian Southern female. His provocative tone completely changed the dynamics of the screening of Dora Akunyili. Suddenly, both female and Southern senators were taking offence at the Senate Chief Whip’s manner. In a second, considerable support swung the way of Dora Akunyili. Voices began to be raised, shouting down the Chief Whip. Dora should take a bow and go! Proceedings were adjourned abruptly. Dora Akunyili took a bow and went.

It is not yet over, though. The Senate would still have to decide whether or not to confirm her nomination. There are two options. Option A- the indignation a lot of Senators felt at the way Senator Kanti Bello questioned Professor Dora Akunyili would hold and guarantee her the Senate confirmation. Option B- the offended Senators would be pacified and made to remember that, regardless of how Kanti Bello put it, the original point he was making was that Dora Akunyili may have let her personal ambition get the better of her in the handling of a national crisis; an opinion that many of them hold. If that happens, the Senate would block her confirmation. Either way, Dora is going to get a brutal education in Nigerian politics. The same one that Anambra State handed down to Professor Soludo. It takes more than being a “super star” to get this job done. For one, you have to show loyalty and when you switch loyalty, you have to do so with care.

In the end, Dora Akunyili would probably be rescued by Kanti Bello’s mistakes. But let her not be deceived by it, she would have only escaped by the skin of her teeth. Changing Nigeria is not the same thing as fighting fake drugs. To her patriotic zeal and intellectual prowess let her add the ability to take on her foes without alienating her friends. If Dora does not learn how to control her propensity to want to be the biggest star in the room, she may discover that her greatest legacy would remain the eight years she spent in NAFDAC. When she left she took her shine with her and NAFDAC was back to what it was before she got there. That is exactly the point Obama was making when he said that Nigeria needs strong institutions not strong men- or women. Super stars may play really well but if no one builds the team, nothing changes, really.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/the-screening-of-dora-akunyili.html

Gbam!
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 10:29am On Mar 30, 2010
That Katsina Senator lost his cool, he should have asked a clear focused question bordering on the press interview Dora gave whilst still in government. It is clear what she is trying to do by giving such a brazen, unwise and thoughtless interview.

She wanted to make the Yaradua loyalist look like traitors, but what she invariably did was she made the whole cabinet including JG look like a bunch of lame duck cowards and stupid, thereby painting herself in a different light by appearing to be the only real and pure heroine.

Obviously when u make your boss look stupid, how does that help her cause, the man that would hire you, u make him look stupid.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by saokea(m): 10:40am On Mar 30, 2010
I agree with you that the president is the number one citizen of the country and our loyalty should be 100%.
However, I disagree with you for saying that the president comes before the country.
Because the president is a Representative of Nigeria, does not mean he should come first before Nigeria.
Our Constitution represents the sovereignty of Nigeria and we should all be loyal to it before any citizen.
Let me make it clear that, you must be loyal to your president, your boss, your employer, your parents, your teachers but when a situation arises that you have to choose who you should be loyal to first at utmost, then it is your country.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 30, 2010
saokea:

I agree with you that the president is the number one citizen of the country and our loyalty should be 100%.
However, I disagree with you for saying that the president comes before the country.
Because the president is a Representative of Nigeria, does not mean he should come first before Nigeria.
Our Constitution represents the sovereignty of Nigeria and we should all be loyal to it before any citizen.
Let me make it clear that, you must be loyal to your president, your boss, your employer, your parents, your teachers but when a situation arises that you have to choose who you should be loyal to first at utmost, then it is your country.

you can't talk about a nation without mentioning the president.the office of the president is the highest office in any sovereign nation,therefore any individual in such position automatically become the most privileged in that country.you cant distinguish a president from the constitution because he is the custodian of such.dora swapped her loyalty at will from yaradua to jonathan after knowing fully well tha yaradua will not come back to power.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by FrankC3: 11:10am On Mar 30, 2010
I guess that Mr Kanti Bello will have his say but Dora will have her way. The guy has just polarized the house and it is terribly weighed against him. If Dora handlers play the game right, the southern senators, most middle belt senators and ALL the women folk in the house will be behind her when the counting starts. Mr Bello's outburst will be seen by many as an affront on the South, an intimidation of a woman an attack on a nationalist (by moderate nationalists).

Senators are supposed to be mature and strategic but what i saw on AIT was something else. He decorated Dora the more that whether she sails through or not, she still wins. The northern political genius seem to have been over-rated. How difficult is it to convince a southern senator or a christian middle beltern to fire the first salvo? Wrong cause, wrong strategy.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 11:25am On Mar 30, 2010
You people supporting Dora, u need to see Dora’s demeanour when Yaradua breezed into town, the press conference she gave, a day later, she looked like a woman who has just seen a Ghost, all that confidence and bravado she was extolling and exhibiting in that interview days b4 had drained from her face and voice.

I can remember what she said “yesterday the, President of the federal republic of Nigeria arrived from Saudi Arabia” was she not the one harping on about the incapacitation of the President days earlier abi the woman wan change sides again. undecided
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by saokea(m): 11:42am On Mar 30, 2010
~Bluetooth:

you can't talk about a nation without mentioning the president.the office of the president is the highest office in any sovereign nation,therefore any individual in such position automatically become the most privileged in that country.you cant distinguish a president from the Constitution because he is the custodian of such.Dora swapped her loyalty at will from Yaradua to Jonathan after knowing fully well That yaradua will not come back to power.

There is a difference between the president and the Constitution and that is why it is spelt in the Constitution that if the president is medically incapacitated, he can be removed.
Kindly answer the following questions;
1. Are you saying that the president comes before Nigeria?
2. Are you saying that the president comes before the Constitution?
Being the custodian of the Constitution does not mean that the president is the Constitution or comes before a sovereign nation.
I believe Dora is still loyal to Yaradua and the President's office which is currently being head by Jonathan.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by marvix(m): 1:03pm On Mar 30, 2010
Quote from knowall
I can remember what she said “yesterday the, President of the federal republic of Nigeria arrived from Saudi Arabia” was she not the one harping on about the incapacitatio
n of the President days earlier abi the woman wan change sides again.
Dora never said the president was incapacitated what she said is dat Yaradua shld write that he is receiving treatment and that Jonathan shld act on his behalf till he returns, so did dat mean he is incapacitated.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 30, 2010
saokea:

There is a difference between the president and the Constitution and that is why it is spelt in the Constitution that if the president is medically incapacitated, he can be removed.
Kindly answer the following questions;
1. Are you saying that the president comes before Nigeria?
2. Are you saying that the president comes before the Constitution?
Being the custodian of the Constitution does not mean that the president is the Constitution or comes before a sovereign nation.
I believe Dora is still loyal to Yaradua and the President's office which is currently being head by Jonathan.
nigeria is the country,constitution is the guardian while the president is the custodian of the constitution as prescribed by the same constitution, nigeria is more than anybody but without the president as a sign of authority,we are nothing.i dont think dora is loyal any more to yaradua going by the recent actions of jonathan i.e the cabinet reshuffling which he did to show his consolidation on power.she's is presently loyal to jonathan
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Mar 30, 2010
Ujujoan:

I agree with, but not entirely. I guess the problem we all had with her was the convenince and timing of her declarations. She sure managed to wake up from her slumber to voice her 'personal opinions' at a point where she was very sure the President wasn't coming back.  undecided  undecided

Madam Viptoilet ( Apparently I can't seem to let this one go),

THANK YOU for being an HONEST NIGERIAN here! grin Thank you for stating the truth that so many are already too willing to "wiggle around the OBVIOUS FACTS" just so they can continue playing "My side against your side" games on their own selves.
Re: Akunyili: I’m Loyal To President Yar’adua: I’m Loyal To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On Mar 30, 2010
mbulela:

u don come again, Kobo?
How far for that Fashola thread?

Lol . . . what else do you expect? The "wiggling around facts" game.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OGD Banned To Hold Political Office For Life! / Tinubu Versus Ibori Who Is Smarter? / Igbo Criminals Trying To Steal Land From Benue People .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.