Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,283 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:43 AM

Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital (589 Views)

Coronavirus: Britons Told To Wear Face-masks On Public Transport / Coronavirus: Edo Sit-At-Home Order, Benin City In Pictures / Burn Survivor Who Was Told She Could Never Have Children Is Now A Mother Of 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital by theLegion(m): 5:47pm On Dec 07, 2017
A young mum whose seven-week-old baby stopped breathing claims she was told to sit down and 'wait her turn' after she rushed her little boy into A&E.

Daveanah Cowie, 21, from Derby, was shocked when her pleas for help were ignored by a receptionist who failed to notice how seriously ill her baby was.

But she ignored the order to wait in line and ran to find a doctor who resuscitated little Tommy-Lee and put him on a life support machine, according to Mail Online.

The mother-of-five said her baby 'could have died' if she had not acted quickly.

Tommy-Lee was found to have bronchitis and has been in hospital since November 27 with his twin brother Arlow-Jack, who has the same condition.

Ms Cowie said: "I took Tommy-Lee to hospital because he was poorly and I noticed as I got out of my vehicle that he was not breathing.

"I rushed him through the doors in a panic and asked the receptionist to get help immediately.

"Instead of finding a doctor she decided to take my details and told me to sit down and wait my turn.

"I couldn't believe it. My baby was not breathing and I was told to wait.

"I ignored that and rushed him through the doors and found a female doctor who did life support on him.

"He had episodes where he stopped breathing after that. He was then ventilated and transferred to Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham."

She added: “I just can’t believe how anybody could be that irresponsible. If I had waited my baby could’ve died.

“I told the doctor what had happened and she said: ‘She probably just needs more training’.

“I haven’t received an apology and it’s not on. My baby's life was at risk."

Tommy-Lee and Arlow-Jack are slowly making a full recovery, she said.

Source: http://www.veeinsider.com/blog/young-mum-whose-baby-stopped-breathing-told-to-sit-down-and-wait-your-turn/

Re: Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital by ehbellsho(m): 5:58pm On Dec 07, 2017
Thank God you didn't listen.
Wish them quick recovery
Re: Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital by Tweetysparkles(f): 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2017
Grateful for the lives of he babies, cos some nurses are just heartless that they have gat no single human feelings... thank GOD for the agony of a mother that just worked because some women will just listen to the shitty smelling mouth of the nurse. Man inhumanity to man undecided some of ghem will even have children and still be kinda maltreating other peoples child.. God bless the children
Re: Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital by thorpido(m): 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2017
That was an ignorant receptionist.
Re: Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital by Catalyst4real: 6:14pm On Dec 07, 2017
End time receptionist
Re: Mum Whose Baby Stopped Breathing Was Told To 'sit And Wait Her Turn' At Hospital by potent5(m): 6:28pm On Dec 07, 2017
Unfortunately, this is what's happening in Nigerian hospitals. I remember sometime ago when my so was critically ill, we had to wait for one week to get lab results of the tests done on him. It was a harrowing experience.

(1) (Reply)

United States To Spend $9.6m On Malaria Control In Sokoto - Nigerians React / Doctors And Co Please Enlighten Me / Patient Dies After Surgeon Pauses Mid-surgery To Take A Selfie With Her Breasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.