Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

2017-2018 Chatbox - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 2017-2018 Chatbox (30809 Views)

Unexpected Joy At Dawn (2018 Edition) By Alex Agyei Pdf Copy Needed / Chimamanda Adichie At The Women Of The World Festival In London 2018 / Publiseer Is A Finalist At The 2018 Harvard Business School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Missnande(f): 10:36am On Dec 16, 2017
frankline461:

Well, whenever I want to write, I make a list of chapters and what would happen in them. Then I sub divide the chapters into episodes and what happens in them, all this with songs from my favorite artists playing softly in the backgroundgringrin (songs from sia, Eminem or imagine dragons most times should do the tricks) although I do listen to other songs. And whenever I have a brain block, I just pick up my DVD remote and continue watching my American series, no time cheesy grin

Never thought of outlining the chapters before, I could try that. Thanks

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Nobody: 10:52am On Dec 16, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

Lol, not in that sense, dear. Thanks anyway.
grin cheesy I need another one from you soon tongue
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Missnande(f): 11:00am On Dec 16, 2017
kayo80:

Okay. But can you name some methods that wo keep for you in the past?

Once I sat outdoors with a dog and stared so hard at the dog,kept my mind fixed and got my story. The next time I tried that I wasted over 2 hours of my time. Once I completed a story in a day cos I was given a deadline,next time I tried I lost a gig. I pick ideas from everyday scenarios as well(as in I can observe for africa). Someone advised I record my thoughts as they come, I tried that once and by the time I sat down to write,it was another story entirely. My sis says writing might not be for me(literally),that I could try working with someone where I give the story and the person does the writing. I'm seriously considering this as I have a vivid imagination,but struggling with penning it down to my satisfaction . Three of my friends are on my neck,to write a novel. Kpa I don't even know where to start explaining from.

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 11:02am On Dec 16, 2017
Gucciqueen38:
grin cheesy I need another one from you soon tongue
Another what, Princess?
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 16, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Another what, Princess?
Short story cheesy cheesy
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 11:12am On Dec 16, 2017
Gucciqueen38:
Short story cheesy cheesy
Lol, sure. I'll see that it's dedicated to you.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 16, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Lol, sure. I'll see that it's dedicated to you.
cheesy cheesy wink
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Debbietiyan(f): 11:28am On Dec 16, 2017
EvaJael:

Lol! Interesting. Personally, if I dare writing when I'm excited, I'll unconsciously add terrible twists that take days to unravel. So, if I take weed, ah! That's the end of the story na

grin grin grin I sha told him that reading a new book is inspiration enough for me. I haven't taken it before, and recently curiosity has subconsciously incited me into trying it out, but with what illicit has said about brain shrinkage...me I will just manage the writer's block oo

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 11:33am On Dec 16, 2017
Missnande:

Once I sat outdoors with a dog and stared so hard at the dog,kept my mind fixed and got my story. The next time I tried that I wasted over 2 hours of my time. Once I completed a story in a day cos I was given a deadline,next time I tried I lost a gig. I pick ideas from everyday scenarios as well(as in I can observe for africa). Someone advised I record my thoughts as they come, I tried that once and by the time I sat down to write,it was another story entirely. My sis says writing might not be for me(literally),that I could try working with someone where I give the story and the person does the writing. I'm seriously considering this as I have a vivid imagination,but struggling with penning it down to my satisfaction . Three of my friends are on my neck,to write a novel. Kpa I don't even know where to start explaining from.

"Once I sat outdoors with a dog and stared so hard at the dog,kept my mind fixed and got my story."

Interesting. I love weird processes like this.

About you giving your ideas to someone to do the writing, it is actually a great idea. The current richest fiction writer in the world, James Patterson does just that. He doesn't write his stories... He just writes a sketch... Like a rough outline of what the story should be about, and he has a couple of young authors who do the writing.

If we were in the same city, I would have loved to partner with you on a story or two.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 11:36am On Dec 16, 2017
Debbietiyan:

grin grin grin I sha told him that reading a new book is inspiration enough for me. I haven't taken it before, and recently curiosity has subconsciously incited me into trying it out, but with what illicit has said about brain shrinkage...me I will just manage the writer's block oo

You dont want your brain to shrink abi? Lol! But do you drink alcohol?
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Debbietiyan(f): 11:39am On Dec 16, 2017
illicit:

Well..... weed is not bad but after sometime you may become dependent and attached to it ( not addictive tho).
Smoking weed shrinks the brain, thats the worst downside of it that I know of sha.....
and when the brain shrinks you know what may happen.....
Visiting new places and seeing new faces can inspire anybody I think

Thank you o jare. I think I prefer the original size of my brain.

To be honest though, I believe relying on substances to draw inspiration diminishes your self-worth as an artistic person...be you an artist or a writer. Being capable to create (write or draw) only when on 'substance'...ultimately leads to addiction, whether you admit it or not. And what happens when you can't get your quick fix is that you ultimately feel you aren't good enough. Which is wrong.

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Debbietiyan(f): 11:40am On Dec 16, 2017
kayo80:

You dont want your brain to shrink abi? Lol! But do you drink alcohol?

I don't o. I take wine, if that's what you're asking wink

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by illicit(m): 12:24pm On Dec 16, 2017
Debbietiyan:

Thank you o jare. I think I prefer the original size of my brain.

To be honest though, I believe relying on substances to draw inspiration diminishes your self-worth as an artistic person...be you an artist or a writer. Being capable to create (write or draw) only when on 'substance'...ultimately leads to addiction, whether you admit it or not. And what happens when you can't get your quick fix is that you ultimately feel you aren't good enough. Which is wrong.
very well said....
Did you read this book, Aspen?
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 12:33pm On Dec 16, 2017
Debbietiyan:

I don't o. I take wine, if that's what you're asking wink

Okay. Cool.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Missnande(f): 12:43pm On Dec 16, 2017
kayo80:

"Once I sat outdoors with a dog and stared so hard at the dog,kept my mind fixed and got my story."

Interesting. I love weird processes like this.

About you giving your ideas to someone to do the writing, it is actually a great idea. The current richest fiction writer in the world, James Patterson does just that. He doesn't write his stories... He just writes a sketch... Like a rough outline of what the story should be about, and he has a couple of young authors who do the writing.

If we were in the same city, I would have loved to partner with you on a story or two.

Seriously? I love J Patterson's books and didn't know that. Thanks

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by EvaJael(f): 12:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

Thanks, love. Thanks for your care. And as for depression? That's a no-no! Thanks, baby. Kisses.
Mi pleasure
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2017
Missnande:

Seriously? I love J Patterson's books and didn't know that. Thanks
wink
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Debbietiyan(f): 1:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
illicit:

very well said....
Did you read this book, Aspen?

No. Why?
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by frankline461: 2:12pm On Dec 16, 2017
Missnande:

Never thought of outlining the chapters before, I could try that. Thanks
You're welcome!!
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by meneski(m): 3:21pm On Dec 16, 2017
Gucciqueen38:
Meneski cheesy thank you cheesy I don't take them tongue
It helps in spirit upliftment. You can go high as u wish.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by EvaJael(f): 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2017
Debbietiyan:

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2017
meneski:
It helps in spirit upliftment. You can go high as u wish.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Divepen1(m): 5:24pm On Dec 16, 2017
Debbietiyan:

Little wonder, been trying to reach you. Sorry about your phone sad.

Meanwhile, I have not really been following this thread, it looks amazing though...lemmi scroll up to get the hang of it.

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by meneski(m): 6:09pm On Dec 16, 2017
Gucciqueen38:
I sight you bae.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Missnande(f): 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2017
meneski:
I sight you bae.

I hear you're the one serving palmwine,how much for a chilled glass please?
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by illicit(m): 8:31pm On Dec 16, 2017
Debbietiyan:

No. Why?
oh yeah its just one funny book and it touched this inspiration stuff we talking 'bout.
there was a writer in the story who likes to use drugs for inspiration till there was a shortage of drugs in town...
lolz its one funny book.... guess u will like it but I cant remember who wrote it now

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Debbietiyan(f): 12:01am On Dec 17, 2017
illicit:

oh yeah its just one funny book and it touched this inspiration stuff we talking 'bout.
there was a writer in the story who likes to use drugs for inspiration till there was a shortage of drugs in town...
lolz its one funny book.... guess u will like it but I cant remember who wrote it now

...was already typing down a request for you to send it, until I read your last paragraph...oh well.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by meneski(m): 10:32am On Dec 17, 2017
Missnande:

I hear you're the one serving palmwine,how much for a chilled glass please?
Just 3H ma'am. Boiled one na 4H.

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by meneski(m): 11:43am On Dec 17, 2017
Wait first! Person dey study to be writer for university? If u tink my question stupid, no answer am oh.

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 17, 2017
meneski:
Wait first! Person dey study to be writer for university? If u tink my question stupid, no answer am oh.

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by SheWrites(f): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
HumbledbYGrace:
So what happened with the bookcover?

not done yet...
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by illicit(m): 8:57pm On Dec 18, 2017
Debbietiyan:

...was already typing down a request for you to send it, until I read your last paragraph...oh well.
ok its by Burt Hirschfeld

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Corpse on the Couch - a murder mystery / AS E DEY Happen(a Pidgin Story) / Behold The Jewel Of My Heart