Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,351 members, 7,780,946 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:05 AM

2017-2018 Chatbox - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 2017-2018 Chatbox (30607 Views)

Unexpected Joy At Dawn (2018 Edition) By Alex Agyei Pdf Copy Needed / Chimamanda Adichie At The Women Of The World Festival In London 2018 / Publiseer Is A Finalist At The 2018 Harvard Business School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by SheWrites(f): 8:16am On Dec 27, 2017
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance everyone.

Love yah *hugs&kisses*

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by KaraReads(f): 9:30pm On Dec 27, 2017
[quote author=vickyluvspices post=63637046][/quote] Waiting patiently for all the stuff you mentioned grin

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by KaraReads(f): 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
EvaJael:

Yayyyyyy I hope you share one of your works here. Beverly....gosh I'm in love with your name. Pleased to meet thee
Thanks. Nice to meet you too.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:45am On Dec 28, 2017
Hello, everyone. Good morning.

I want to write a story about Jos. The setting will be Jos and its old times. I need help. I need in-depth information of the major areas.

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Bitcoiniler(m): 9:57am On Dec 28, 2017
I am really in need of a route to explore my craft and also establish myself. We sincerely don't value writers nor even embrace any written content in this country. We definitely need to come up with a profound strategy to explore our creative craft, share ideas and bring up suggestions about making something out of this craft.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by badohemmy(m): 12:45pm On Dec 28, 2017
Nairaland is blessed to have so many gifted writers. I have followed this forum for a long time but only recently stumbled open the literature section, trust me, my life has not remained the same. I have read and followed so many beautiful piece of work like Black Maria, Countless, Tradition, The Devil Wears Okrika, Beauty and the mechanic and many many more.
I am honoured to have communicated with these gifted writers through the reading of their works. I hope that somehow, someday, the gifted writers will get a reward for their gifts to humanity here on earth. But until then, permit me to enjoy your works here. Kudos to Seun and the moderators.

God bless our writers.

3 Likes

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by EvaJael(f): 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2017
Happy birthday to Kayo80. I'm sorry dear, I've been trying to create a topic since but network no gree.
He's one of these rare men on earth. Very gentle and always has something nice to say. I can tell him anything and be rest assured it'll stay with him.
He's been a strong support and coach.
God bless you as you turn a year older
Divepen1
OluwabuqqyYOLO
Kimberlywest
Queenitee
Jadedgrace98
TiffanyJ
Shewrites
Karareads
Ayomicome
Vickyluvspices
Souloho19
Rachealfst
Meneski
Call others to wish Kayo a happy birthday

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2017
EvaJael:
Happy birthday to Kayo80. I'm sorry dear, I've been trying to create a topic since but network no gree.
He's one of these rare men on earth. Very gentle and always has something nice to say. I can tell him anything and be rest assured it'll stay with him.
Divepen1
OluwabuqqyYOLO
Kimberlywest
Queenitee
Jadedgrace98
TiffanyJ
Shewrites
Karareads
Ayomicome
Vickyluvspices
Souloho19
Rachealfst
Meneski

Evajael, tears actually rolled down my eyes reading this. Thanks. I really appreciate this.

2 Likes

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by EvaJael(f): 6:07pm On Dec 29, 2017
kayo80:

Evajael, tears actually rolled down my eyes reading this. Thanks. I really appreciate this.
Uwc dear.

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by badohemmy(m): 6:50pm On Dec 29, 2017
Happy birthday to you Kayo80.. God bless ur new age.

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by badohemmy(m): 6:50pm On Dec 29, 2017
Happy birthday to you Kayo80.. God bless ur new age.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by souloho19(m): 10:01pm On Dec 29, 2017
kayo80:

Evaj ael, tears actually rolled down my eyes reading this. Thanks. I really appreciate this.

Happy birthday boss, wishing you unlimited joy and blessings.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Ayomicome(m): 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2017
EvaJael:
Happy birthday to Kayo80.

Wow…Happy Birthday Mr K…you're one of the few that makes NL interesting for me…God bless your new age

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Missnande(f): 10:50pm On Dec 29, 2017
Happy birthday kayo,more ink to your pen!

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by vickyluvspices(f): 11:58pm On Dec 29, 2017
EvaJael:
Divepen1
OluwabuqqyYOLO
Kimberlywest
Queenitee
Jadedgrace98
TiffanyJ
Shewrites
Karareads
Ayomicome
Vickyluvspices
Souloho19
Rachealfst
Meneski
apy bday dear wish u all d best,may ur dmiles
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by vickyluvspices(f): 12:05am On Dec 30, 2017
EvaJael:
He's been a strong support and couach.
Divepen1
OluwabuqqyYOLO
Kimberlywest
Queenitee
Jadedgrace98
TiffanyJ
Shewrites
Karareads
Ayomicome
Vickyluvspices
Souloho19
Rachealfst
Meneski
apy bday dearie may ur years always bloom like dat of a flower. oya where them dey.. .pamel B hadampson Adesina favch oya oh come and join the party.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Lilyjoe567(f): 6:38am On Dec 30, 2017
Though it's late...... happy belated birthday @ kayo80
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 6:41am On Dec 30, 2017
Lilyjoe567:

Though it's late...... happy belated birthday @ kayo80

Thank you.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 6:41am On Dec 30, 2017
vickyluvspices:
apy bday dear wish u all d best,may ur dmiles

Thanks.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 6:42am On Dec 30, 2017
Missnande:
Happy birthday kayo,more ink to your pen!

Thank you.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 6:43am On Dec 30, 2017
Ayomicome:
Wow…Happy Birthday Mr K…you're one of the few that makes NL interesting for me…God bless your new age

Amen! Thank you.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 6:43am On Dec 30, 2017
souloho19:

Happy birthday boss, wishing you unlimited joy and blessings.

Thanks.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by kayo80(m): 6:44am On Dec 30, 2017
badohemmy:
Happy birthday to you Kayo80..
God bless ur new age.

Amen! Thank you.

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by rachealfst(f): 10:04am On Dec 30, 2017
kayo80:

Happy birthday long life and prosperity. Greater heights in Jesus name.
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by rachealfst(f): 10:06am On Dec 30, 2017
Adesina12 I got your mention but I don't want to derail that thread. It's been a while, trust you're doing great. Compliment of the season. *hugs*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by usermane(m): 6:23pm On Jan 02, 2018
kayo80:
What's up guys? This came at the right time. I was thinking of starting a whatsapp group for Nairaland writers, but this can serve the same purpose.

So, what I want to ask you guys this morning is this... Why are there no rich fiction writers in Nigeria?

I was just having a conversation with my friend in my house just now... He is into online branding, and we were talking about how Nigeria has such a large population, which supports other forms of art (music, movies, even painters), but authors don't make shitt (pardon my French).

This is sickening, and it needs to change. We put in as much work as other artists, why don't we make even a quarter or a tenth of what they make?

Peace people.
People don't value books anymore. In fact, they'd really binge watch TV or films for weeks than invest two days on a novel. Reading culture is dead. To succeed as an author, you need a little bit of luck or connection to supplement effort.

Yes, Nigerians don't really read, but someone like NaijaSingleGirl was able to capture a lot of Nigerians with her humor and controversial subject matters. But since she released her book (29 and single or something like that) two years ago, the book has sold just 800 copies on Okadabooks. I was really disappointed in her sales, judging from her popularity and all the promo she did before the book was released, I was expecting it to have sold at least a couple of thousands of copies.

@underbolded, how many percent of Nigerians are regular users of this forum?
First, Nigerians hate reading.
Secondly, ebooks are not really popular in Nigeria. So, it may not be a good idea to invest your effort here if you want to sell significant quantity of books.
Thirdly, I think her book is too expensive. Readers may not want to invest in a book they are unsure they'll enjoy. An author has to convince readers they'll enjoy her book. That is why it is difficult to succeed with a debut standalone book. Not every author is J.K Rowling. Most only begin to see success after releasing multiple books. Let's also not forget that most Nigerians like free stuff, they cannot appreciate the effort expended in writing a book.

Lastly, as I have stated, Nigerians do not read. Any author serious about selling books may want to consider another market aside okada books. I have been to the site, checked a couple of free-books but was put off by poor writing. This hurts the reputation of the site in the eyes of serious readers.

Don't leave your eggs in one basket, try out popular international e-book stores.

kayo80:
Hey guys, on a lighter note, let's talk about how our writing process goes. Do you take anything for ginger/inspiration? wink You know, sometimes when you have writers block and you just have to write, do you take anything or do anything to get your creative juices flowing.

I simply go on a walk, usually in the mornings. I keep pondering till I figure out how to proceed the plot. Just a simple, solitary and quiet walk with no music, no external noise to detract my meditation.

I believe at least 80% of us here are adults, so let's not be shy. smiley. I know some writers listen to music, some take alcohol, some smoke something (you know that thing), some have sex or think about sex, some draw energy from memories of a breakup or a sad event in their lives, some get driven by the thought of money and fame at the end of the line, some watch movies in the genre they write in, etc.. What is your own source of inspiration for writing?

What inspire me to write is my love of stories, my passion for storytelling.
As for my story ideas, my source of inspiration is a mixed bag. Past events in my life, my current personal struggles does inspire my ideas. Rock and alternative music, TV, movies, video games, novels and their cover arts do inspire me with ideas.
Sometimes even a picture or a quote could inspire me with ideas that may fit or not fit within the context of my current book.

2 Likes

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by ArikeBooks: 8:09am On Jan 03, 2018
#NAIJAWhichWay #startadialogue #askquestions #hope #change #progress

Read free excerpt, Amazon link in profile:

"NAIJA-Which Way?" a novel by Arike Ayodele
@ArikeBooks

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Adesina12: 9:51pm On Jan 03, 2018
rachealfst:
Adesina12 I got your mention but I don't want to derail that thread. It's been a while, trust you're doing great. Compliment of the season. *hugs*

Wish you same dear grin
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by SurestG(f): 2:27pm On Jan 04, 2018
rachealfst:
souloho19
Kimberlywest
SurestG
Chumpzypinky
PamelB
marianneada
Oyinprince
Lleigh
Bibi294
TheBlessedMAN
Cbella
Abelosas222
All the wonderful readers in the house. I wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS....☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃
And Happy New Year in advance.
Love you all and thanks for been there all through the year.
thanks aunty, compliment of the season

1 Like

Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Missnande(f): 5:26pm On Jan 05, 2018
Please who is Igbo here? What is the meaning of Uju and is it a boy or girl name? Thanks
Re: 2017-2018 Chatbox by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 05, 2018
Its a feminine name, it means abundance
Missnande:
Please who is Igbo here? What is the meaning of Uju and is it a boy or girl name? Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Maga No Need Pay / Which Is Your Best Nigerian Novel? / Blood And Thunder (Dawn Of Justice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.