Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:31 AM

The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor (1838 Views)

Should I Divorce Or Remain Subjected To This Punishment For My Infidelity? / Why I Killed My Wife: The Sad Story Behind The Hassan Adeyemo’s Florida Tragedy / It Takes Stupidity To Remain Married - Nigerian Man Married For 38 Years (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor by sekem: 12:37am On Dec 09, 2017
So many of our Nigerian youths are poor.

Why?

One may be forced or tempted to argue that the government has caused it because they did not plan for these youths.

That’s okay.

But that’s not really the whole gospel truth.

You see, if one is to go by that statement of blaming the government for the poverty being experienced by so many of our youths, then it is akin to—like my great friend Steve Olorun-Ni of Africabusinessclassroom (ABC) will normally put it—blaming a rapist for not taking your daughter to hospital after raping her, if I should use that graphic example.

My point is, you don’t always expect solution from a place where such solution is hard to come by.

If you like, continue to blame the government for all the woes we are experiencing in the country as a whole but the truth still remains that you, yes YOU as an individual has a very big part to play in contributing to your own downfall, or poverty in this case, whether you know it or not.

In this discussion, I will try to highlight those areas which you may be ignorantly contributing to your own poverty.

So listen.

So many of our youths will remain poor because of…

Lack of exposure
So many of our youths lack exposure.

That’s just the sad truth.

Lack of exposure is the reason why so many youths are missing out on so many opportunities to make something useful out of their lives.

There may be lots and lots of business opportunities or career opportunities that may be lying around you but you may not be aware of them simply because of your lack of exposure.

And because you don’t know about these opportunities, the youth may be faced with the dire situation where they will either be grumbling and complaining that the government will just do everything for them or they will just simply resign to fate believing that a miracle from heaven will come and rescue from their terrible condition they have found themselves in.

But we all know that’s just like hoping your car will run on water.

Not only that it is not just feasible, but it has not just happened yet!

Furthermore, your not being exposed can also affect you negatively when it comes to discovering your inborn talents.

That is why you may have so many talented people around but they cannot just make use of such talents because they are not even aware that such talents could be converted into something productive.

Talk of being ignorant!

If you have the misfortune of finding yourself in an environment or society where people are not exposed, you will surely agree with me that spells doom because that will certainly ensure that you are even pushed further down the putrid smelly gutter of the unexposed.

To continue reading, visit: The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor
Re: The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 09, 2017
Pls give a practical example of how a youth should go about being EXPOSED for a guy coming out of the university waiting for nysc or during nysc with no property no friends, no family support or anything to get loan from, d only money is 19,800 and he needs to rent an apartment n save from it, feed from it, use from it to go to other places in search for jobs, bills etc.

waiting

remember Nothing is free
Re: The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor by sekem: 1:42pm On Dec 11, 2017
Hi there chidichuddo,

Thank you for your interest.

If you went through the full post on my blog, I believe you must have seen where I promised to highlight more on the steps our youths can take to tackle this issue of engulfing poverty facing us a whole

But now you brought it up, let me give you an idea of what is coming

Now to tackle lack of exposure, one needs to develop a curious mind

It's as simple as that

Let me now throw some posers your way right now to get you thinking

How many business books have you read in the last three years?

How updated with information and current affairs are you?

What 10 businesses can you say are the hottest in the state where you reside right now?

What special talent or talents do you think you have and how can any of those talents be of help to some other person or people?

How can I use what I must have learnt at the university to help mankind?

What are the problems businesses in my area are facing and what could be done to overcome such problems?

What kind of business can I start with my 19,800 NYSC allawee?

And so many more questions of that nature...

You really need to start asking questions and start seeking their answers.

Concentrating just on the handicap you are facing such as low income, no support, no loans, no apartment, no nothing... will only dampen your spirit and fill your thoughts with unreasonable fears that will further hold you down.

A wise man once said, THINK AND GROW RICH... and it is true.

I wish you all the best in your struggles and hustle.

1 Like

Re: The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 11, 2017
sekem:
Hi there chidichuddo,

Thank you for your interest.

If you went through the full post on my blog, I believe you must have seen where I promised to highlight more on the steps our youths can take to tackle this issue of engulfing poverty facing us a whole

But now you brought it up, let me give you an idea of what is coming

Now to tackle lack of exposure, one needs to develop a curious mind

It's as simple as that

Let me now throw some posers your way right now to get you thinking

How many business books have you read in the last three years?

How updated with information and current affairs are you?

What 10 businesses can you say are the hottest in the state where you reside right now?

What special talent or talents do you think you have and how can any of those talents be of help to some other person or people?

How can I use what I must have learnt at the university to help mankind?

What are the problems businesses in my area are facing and what could be done to overcome such problems?

What kind of business can I start with my 19,800 NYSC allawee?

And so many more questions of that nature...

You really need to start asking questions and start seeking their answers.

Concentrating just on the handicap you are facing such as low income, no support, no loans, no apartment, no nothing... will only dampen your spirit and fill your thoughts with unreasonable fears that will further hold you down.

A wise man once said, THINK AND GROW RICH... and it is true.

I wish you all the best in your struggles and hustle.

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond but still you dodged the question

I have read books but still doesn't really apply to the current Nigerian setting

there are many things lacking in a community but still going about solving them would need capital.

one can't just graduate from school and start up something with what he or she learnt from school without tools. ( how do u expect someone who studied accounting, go about practising or a startup without capital)

books only tell one about building oneself, believing and finding inner strength, overcoming these and that, when na only trekking n doing menial jobs to get something.

no one talks about capital, all the stuff public speakers do in seminars is talking about building ones self Esteem, dressing, ability to save, ability to express, but none talks to people on how to get capital

take nairaland for example, there are many people here who know Web design but u see them begging for jobs and the sorts.

to even start a laundry business (small scale) you need minimum of 100k to buy generator, washing machine, pressing iron etc

no one talks on how to save or eat to still look presentable, how to package dat dress to still look presentable.

even when some public speakers talk about how they overcame poverty,they always skip the part on how they came about the first breakthrough.

seminars ain't free and the speakers still goes home paid. I just asked a question on how a corper should plan n save n move ahead but the question was dodged

I was expecting like one should minimize spending, get a face me I slap u manage, look for teaching jobs, connect with people etc

even right now wit comments this thread would b looked into by viewers

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 11, 2017
I think exposure can be won in this era of the internet though. There are tons of videos on YouTube as well as books, you can easily buy. I think putting those in action might actually be the problem instead. This includes the lack of resources due to the environment, like you had already implied.
I was hoping you'd talk about most youth not doing anything about the government situation. You made an example about the rapist, it seems stupid of the dad blaming the rapist of not putting his daughter in the hospital BUT there shouldn't have been any rapist in the first place!

It should be the goal of every government to make sure the future of its youth is secured. If the government is incapable of doing this, the youth are those who are supposed to revolte, instead of whining on the net, while just 7-10 go out and protest.

This is something, which isn't only of the youth's interests but the pensioners, who might have worked in vain and gain nothing in the end, the family father and mother, whose children's future are not secured etc. Yet whenever protests are supposed to take place, only about 10 people are brave enough to stand up?
Doesn't that mean you're ok with the present situation? You still have the will to suffer more because you are too scared to fight? At the end of the day it's up to each and everyone to decide if living in suffering is worth it at all.

Just don't come online whining about unemployment, how the government is bad blablabla. And most importantly don't whine about you not having the means of putting your ideas into work, when you don't have the balls to stand up for what is in your way.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sad Truth Why So Many Youth Will Remain Poor by sekem: 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2018
chidichuddo:

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond but still you dodged the question grin

I have read books but still doesn't really apply to the current Nigerian setting

there are many things lacking in a community but still going about solving them would need capital.

one can't just graduate from school and start up something with what he or she learnt from school without tools. ( how do u expect someone who studied accounting, go about practising or a startup without capital)

books only tell one about building oneself, believing and finding inner strength, overcoming these and that, when na only trekking n doing menial jobs to get something.

no one talks about capital, all the stuff public speakers do in seminars is talking about building ones self Esteem, dressing, ability to save, ability to express, but none talks to people on how to get capital

take nairaland for example, there are many people here who know Web design but u see them begging for jobs and the sorts.

to even start a laundry business (small scale) you need minimum of 100k to buy generator, washing machine, pressing iron etc

no one talks on how to save or eat to still look presentable, how to package dat dress to still look presentable.

even when some public speakers talk about how they overcame poverty,they always skip the part on how they came about the first breakthrough.

seminars ain't free and the speakers still goes home paid. I just asked a question on how a corper should plan n save n move ahead but the question was dodged

I was expecting like one should minimize spending, get a face me I slap u manage, look for teaching jobs, connect with people etc

even right now wit comments this thread would b looked into by viewers

Hi there chidichuddo,

If I'm not mistaken, I can see your problem is majorly the issue of raising capital to start up your business, right?

Well, I must tell you that the issue of raising capital for starting your business can actually be a complex issue which is why most of those public speakers you mentioned tend to 'avoid' it

In truth, no one is avoiding anything.

If you ask me, I'd say it's simply because there's no one-size-fits-all method or formula that guarantees you get your start up capital.

What worked for me might NEVER EVER work for you!

In fact, the art of getting capital for your business start up can be considered as a very big 'business' on its own and as such you can be sure that it's not everyone that will be freely ready to let you into their 'business secret' on how they really got started... just like that!!! tongue

But...

In general, people can get their start up capital in so many ways ranging from simple method of getting help or loans from friends or family or selling off family family property and up to the bizarre method of delving into nefarious activities like prostitution, drug courier, even armed robbery and all that...

Now, you don't expect someone who got their start up capital illegally to just come out and tell you that is exactly what he or she did...?

Recently, I came across a very interesting statement or quote on the internet

The statement goes like this: "I cannot tell you how I made my money; but I can tell you how to make your own money."

I think that statement sums up the point I've been trying to put across to you wink

(1) (Reply)

This Is How A Maternity Photo Shot Should Look Like, And Not The Usual We See / Why Do Most Men Die In Families And Marriages? / How My Mother’s Advice Made Me Rich

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.