Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,512 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them (5193 Views)

Children Of Nigerian Politicians Boarding Presidential Plane / Why Is Rev Fr. Mbaka Silent On These Killings And Ills Of This Government? / The First Set Of Nigerian Army Pilots To Fly War Planes (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by Blue3k(m): 2:59am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:

How .can car tracker prevent me from selling as parts a car I rented with fake id.
I think most important is a fraud-proof personal identification system (which Nigeria as we know it can never achieve)

I answered your fake ID question. Even if you have fake ID we know where you took car. The person at chop shop will give you up. Police can track you down. The only thing car rental company's need is ability to verify IS on national data base. This issue happens in USA as well.

Ps: If you believe there's no solution did you make thread to wail? Save mental energy of things that you believe can be solved.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by seguno2: 3:06am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:
How am I the solution? Am I SARS or NPF or govt bureaucrat, etc

None of them can exist as they are if YOU and other Nigerians don’t want them.
If you are a Christian, you can read the Bible on how the Jews obliged their God of Israel to give them a King (Saul) like other tribes.
Our greatest ill, as blacks, is to want things without needing to work for it. It is called being irresponsible. We don’t want to be responsible for our successes and our failures.
If successful, na God.
If failed, na devil push me.
Never accepting responsibility.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by mikolo80: 3:08am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:

U know, I kind of agree with you. I sometimes feel the whole Nigeria project needs to be scrapped and built up again from ground up. Or just replaced with something else. I sometimes feel we have to admit to ourselves that the Nigeria experiment has failed and start working to replace it with something else.
Toh as we no fit scrap living breathing human beings we need to stop lamenting and start fixing it.
not that hard if you know how
just need to be willing to

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by mikolo80: 3:09am On Dec 10, 2017
seguno2:

Good people like you working (not just talking) to impact others with your goodness
yes o
working being the key word

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by seguno2: 3:12am On Dec 10, 2017
mikolo80:
Toh as we no fit scrap living breathing human beings we need to stop lamenting and start fixing it.
not that hard if you know how
just need to be willing to

.......willing to make the sacrifices continuously for gradual fixing of what we simply now lament about.
Acknowledging that progress is a forever ongoing process and not a destination.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 3:13am On Dec 10, 2017
Blue3k:

I answered your fake ID question. Even if you have fake ID we know where you took car. The person at chop shop will give you up. Police can track you down. The only thing car rental company's need is ability to verify IS on national data base. This issue happens in USA as well.

Ps: If you believe there's no solution did you make thread to wail? Save mental energy of things that you believe can be solved.

You r funny. What if I exported the car. In USA they know me. In 9ja they don't because I used fake id.
Your solutions are a good effort but
just because I made the thread does not obligate me to agree with every proffered solution
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 3:17am On Dec 10, 2017
seguno2:

None of them can exist as they are if YOU and other Nigerians don’t want them.
If you are a Christian, you can read the Bible on how the Jews obliged their God of Israel to give them a King (Saul) like other tribes.
Our greatest ill, as blacks, is to want things without needing to work for it. It is called being irresponsible. We don’t want to be responsible for our successes and our failures.
If successful, na God.
If failed, na devil push me.
Never accepting responsibility.

Where do u think things like #endSARS came from. It is like saying Abacha wouldn't have stolen money if I didn't want him to. I have very limited impact
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by seguno2: 3:30am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:
Where do u think things like #endSARS came from. It is like saying Abacha wouldn't have stolen money if I didn't want him to. I have very limited impact

Thanks for mentioning #EndSARS.
Obviously started by just one person like you who kept working and expanding on the limited impact that she started with. Not so
By the way, Abacha was just one individual like you at some point.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by Blue3k(m): 3:33am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:

You r funny. What if I exported the car. In USA they know me. In 9ja they don't because I used fake id.
Your solutions are a good effort but
just because I made the thread does not obligate me to agree with every proffered solution

I just told you this problem has been on rise in USA. That should tell you the USA doesn't have fraud proof system. Corrupt west Africans doing these schemes. You can Google that. Second you can't export car without papers. The cars vehicle Identification number would be reported stolen so you have export parts or clone new VIN. Again you have to take the car apart.

The solution to issue getting database, maybe biometrics and lastly making ID harder to forge. There's no magic bullet. If they are caught in US they can be caught in Nigeria.

I didn't tell you to agree with me. I told you it's a waste of time concerning yourself with unsolvable issues. You said the ID fraud can't be solved.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 3:37am On Dec 10, 2017
seguno2:

Thanks for mentioning #EndSARS.
Obviously started by just one person like you who kept working and expanding on the limited impact that she started with. Not so
By the way, Abacha was just one individual like you at some point.

Doesn't change the fact that I have very limited impact and any effort of mine will change nothing in the near term just as SARS is still very much with us.
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by seguno2: 3:47am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:
Doesn't change the fact that I have very limited impact and any effort of mine will change nothing in the near term just as SARS is still very much with us.

Why did you open this thread?
What do you expect to achieve?

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 3:50am On Dec 10, 2017
Blue3k:

I just told you this problem has been on rise in USA. That should tell you the USA doesn't have fraud proof system. Corrupt west Africans doing these schemes. You can Google that. Second you can't export car without papers. The cars vehicle Identification number would be reported stolen so you have export parts or clone new VIN. Again you have to take the car apart.

The solution to issue getting database, maybe biometrics and lastly making ID harder to forge. There's no magic bullet. If they are caught in US they can be caught in Nigeria.

I didn't tell you to agree with me. I told you it's a waste of time concerning yourself with unsolvable issues. You said the ID fraud can't be solved.

The BIG difference: in US they have a very robust car rental system, in 9ja zero. Sure they can be caught in 9ja but it ends with bribing the police or the judge.
I said 9ja as we know it is too corrupt to solve the id fraud issue to be on par with US
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 3:53am On Dec 10, 2017
seguno2:

a) exerting my limited impact while being realistic that it is very limited.
b) so we can brainstorm on solutions for some of these problems

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by mikolo80: 4:16am On Dec 10, 2017
seguno2:

.......willing to make the sacrifices continuously for gradual fixing of what we simply now lament about.
Acknowledging that progress is a forever ongoing process and not a destination.
yep

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by seguno2: 4:36am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:
The BIG difference: in US they have a very robust car rental system, in 9ja zero. Sure they can be caught in 9ja but it ends with bribing the police or the judge.
I said 9ja as we know it is too corrupt to solve the id fraud issue to be on par with US

Do you think that if we become more concerned about the source of wealth of those around us, we would have less corruption and reduce its negative impact?

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by trillville(m): 4:39am On Dec 10, 2017
We now have BVNs. This can be used to identify citizens during financial transactions such as car rentals.

As for corruption, it is a cultural thing. A combination of building livable prisons and implementation of taxes, may lead to a reduction in corruption.

Better prisons will make sentencing people to jail for small crimes easier. A larger percentage of Americans have been to prison as opposed to nigerians. The prison system in America is termed correctional facilities. In nigeria, our prisons are synonymous with hell. Better prisons will make it easier to sentence people.

Taxes, nigeria has a TAX to GDP ratio of about 6 percent. The Eurozone and America both have TAX to GDP ratios greater than 30 percent as at last year. Nigeria's earnings from oil is just not enough to cater for 180 million people.

Consider this, America has almost always produced more crude oil than nigeria, yet they used to consume all their oil and still import from Nigeria. They use crude oil to increase their productivity and then tax their citizens. We just simply sell our crude oil and share the proceeds. Kind of like slave trade if you think about it. They use their human resources to build their nation. We simply sold ours for mirrors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 5:00am On Dec 10, 2017
seguno2:

Do you think that if we become more concerned about the source of wealth of those around us, we would have less corruption and reduce its negative impact?

That goes without saying. Not only that I think it will be beneficial to cultivate a culture where people with extreme wealth are not adored at all but regarded with suspicion regardless of the purported source of their wealth.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 5:09am On Dec 10, 2017
trillville:
We now have BVNs. This can be used to identify citizens during financial transactions such as car rentals.

As for corruption, it is a cultural thing. A combination of building livable prisons and implementation of taxes, may lead to a reduction in corruption.

Better prisons will make sentencing people to jail for small crimes easier. A larger percentage of Americans have been to prison as opposed to nigeria. The prison system in America is termed correctional facilities. In nigeria, our prisons are synonymous with hell. Better prisons will make it easier to sentence people.

Taxes, nigeria has a TAX to GDP ratio of about 6 percent. The Eurozone and America both have TAX to GDP ratios greater than 30 percent as at last year. Nigeria's earnings from oil is just not enough to cater for 180 million people.

Consider this, America has almost always produced more crude oil than nigeria, yet they used to consume all their oil and still import from Nigeria. They use crude oil to increase their productivity and then tax their citizens. We just simply sell our crude oil and share the proceeds. Kind of like slave trade if you think about it. They use their human resources to build their nation. We simply sold ours for mirrors.

I know people with more than one BVN's. But u have very good points. Nigeria has no tax system to speak of. The average Nigerian doesn't understand the concept of filling a tax return.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by Optional09: 5:20am On Dec 10, 2017
Kowor:
What's the solution?

Well, pick one or two and create a solution for 1M Nigerians to access. That would be the part way to your success
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by anonimi: 5:31am On Dec 10, 2017
trillville:

Great inputs and insight.
For how long shall we remain mentally lazy slaves to those who continuously think and take ACTION to improve their societies in order to dominate others?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by Optional09: 5:32am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:

Listen, if u can easily obtain authentic documents in US as u can in 9ja, you'd be a dollar billionaire. Do u know how many cars you can obtain with just one set of documents. Do know how many bank credits, cell phones, even mortgages. Not to talk if collecting other people's tax returns, benefits and entitlements. Then credit cards, store cards, fuel cards, online accounts like PayPal, etc. Be serious

It was my 2 years in US last month. I went to buy a $25k car without a penny, they gave me the car to drive away same day. I had no penny in my bank account at the time but I have good credit history. So amazing how things work here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by anonimi: 5:33am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:
That goes without saying. Not only that I think it will be beneficial to cultivate a culture where people with extreme wealth are not adored at all but regarded with suspicion regardless of the purported source of their wealth.

More of us need to understand and act in the bolded portion above.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by trillville(m): 7:02am On Dec 10, 2017
9jaDoc:

I know people with more than one BVN's. But u have very good points. Nigeria has no tax system to speak of. The average Nigerian doesn't understand the concept of filling a tax return.

How can a person have multiple BVNs? It works with our finger prints, doesn't it? Hmm, I'll ask my banker friends about this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 10:59am On Dec 10, 2017
anonimi:

Great inputs and insight.
For how long shall we remain mentally lazy slaves to those who continuously think and take ACTION to improve their societies in order to dominate others?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2

Lol. Funny but quite insightful cartoon.

Also in those countries most actually love their country and are patriotic to the point of being willing to die for their country.
Most Nigerians, on the other hand, openly express disdain for the country, think it is a failed state, and are willing to move to even quite unstable countries just to be out of it.
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 11:05am On Dec 10, 2017
Optional09:

It was my 2 years in US last month. I went to buy a $25k car without a penny, they gave me the car to drive away same day. I had no penny in my bank account at the time but I have good credit history. So amazing how things work here

Exactly. While in 9ja they won't give u the keys to some jalopy regardless your BVN or how many id's you have.
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 11:11am On Dec 10, 2017
anonimi:

More of us need to understand and act in the bolded portion above.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d

That cartoon says it all. So apt. It is the true, actual day-to-day reality in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 11:17am On Dec 10, 2017
trillville:

How can a person have multiple BVNs? It works with our finger prints, doesn't it? Hmm, I'll ask my banker friends about this.

Easy. Bribe or know the person in charge. Nigeria?! Where bank employees are routinely caught tampering with customer accounts or transactions
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 11:23am On Dec 10, 2017
Optional09:

Well, pick one or two and create a solution for 1M Nigerians to access. That would be the part way to your success

Or maybe we should think outside the box. Like scrapping the whole Nigeria thing and replacing it with units most members would be proud of, and patriotic about.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by Kowor(f): 12:07pm On Dec 10, 2017
Optional09:

Change begins with you.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by wonlasewonimi: 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2017
First thing first...the government need to take stock. Know your citizen. Leverage the bvn database, and plan from there.
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by Lamexx(m): 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2017
The problem you just listed too much. I do know where to start sef. But what we need most is an excellent structure such that if you do the crime, you face the time in jail. Our institutions need to be upheld.
Re: List Of Nigerian Ills And How To Solve Them by 9jaDoc(f): 1:24pm On Dec 10, 2017
seguno2:

On a side note do u think someone with a masters and $50,000 should relocate to Nigeria or stay in US?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PT Will Resist Attempts To Turn Nigeria Into 2 Party state-olawepo Hashim / See This Photo Of Tinubu At The Presidential Villa / Why Did General Adeyemi Kill Tyoor Akwaaza aka Gana" Why ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.