Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,055 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Praying For One's Enemy: Clarifications In Christ Perspective. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying For One's Enemy: Clarifications In Christ Perspective. (275 Views)

Video Of Nigerians Praying For A Faulty Transformer: Dino Melaye Reacts / My Number One Enemy Was Begging Me To Save His Child / Please What Does It Means To See One's Enemy Pregnant In The Dream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Praying For One's Enemy: Clarifications In Christ Perspective. by TheWalkingMind: 5:49pm On Dec 09, 2017
I think it was around 11AM today I came upon this topic on the front page (Check the link right below). And I said I will pass because the thread as at that time had spanned pages to make any meaningful contribution to the issue at hand.

https://www.nairaland.com/4223723/pastor-adeboye-prays-death-relatives

However checking in again, there again yet is another thread on the same topic, this time spearhead by the now nicknamed YYPN (Yahoo Yahoo Pastors Nightmare). Here is the link to topic.

https://www.nairaland.com/4224116/daddy-freeze-eldee-react-pastor

For a start, I, on a personal note has always commended Daddy Freeze for being bold enough to break lose from the mental cage of imagined consequences that come along with challenging Men of God on matters of doctrines and teachings. And it's a thing commendable that he made as epicentre the topic of Tithe which has for many years past been the well of exploitation for these Men of God. But, when it comes to a matter of what Christ said, such as the scripture being incessantly quoted by fellow nairalanders and most Nigerians, a point of difference exist to prevent us all from making mockery of ourselves in the quest of establishing some sort of already known truth.

Before I continue I think it's important to categorically say I'm not a fan of religion. And those who know me will actually testify to this. So and therefore, any assumption of a sponsored posts can with freedom be humbly disposed.

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecutes you seems much to be the statement of Christ everyone has been quoting to crucify Pa Adeboye's prayer point. Since this is a statement of Christ himself it will not be only appropriate to see his views in regard to the subject matter, but helpful to clarify certain misconception as to what loving and praying for one's enemies truly means. Follow up.

It is a fact well known but readily dismissed that scriptural interpretation is unilateral, unambiguous. That is, can only have one interpretation. And since the problem here is less than a question of source (Christ as the source is valid) and more of interpretation, the problem of contradiction in terms of words and actions can be easily resolved referencing referenced subjects by the source. That is those places Christ himself make reference to the word 'enemy' which happens to be the root of contradiction here. If we can answer the question of who an enemy is, to condemn or to approve Pa Adeboye's prayer point becomes a task we can then, with confidence do with no fear of trespassing. Read on.

The case I will be referencing is the well known parable of the sower. This is because it paints the picture well with characters. But to do this I will draw a simple analogy to the parable of the good Samaritan. Also well known.

Christ in the parable of the good Samaritan presents a view that stripes the definition of who a neighbour is of any form of spirituality and bestowed on it total physicality. In short, in Christ view, there was nothing spiritual in the interpretation of who a neighbour is to Christ. And so when he said love your neighbour, he is not expecting us to show love in a spiritual manner, but show love in every form of physicality; financially, counselling, and encouragement. The opposite will go for praying for our enemy.

Christ view and definition of who and what an enemy is such that is stripped of any form of physicality but clothed in spirituality. This is quite evident in the parable of the sower which I need not narrate again. To Christ an enemy is not that person that will stop you from progressing in life. An enemy is not that person that will derive joy from nothing else but your downfall. It is not that village witch that will see you dead by sunrise, neither is it that arm robber that will see your vault emptied overnight. Rather, an enemy to Christ as described in the parable of the Sower is that person that will stand to oppose the gospel of life, that person that will prey on the indecisiveness of people to persuade them to not believing in God's goodness. It is that person that will tempt others to Sin. An enemy to Christ, is that person that will persecute the truth of life we stand for in Christ. Thus, when Christ says pray for your enemies, these are the people he have in mind.

It is good that we questions things. But it is bad to be adamant in the light of revelations. Praying for one's enemies does not, and has never included the village witches trying to kill you. It has never involved that person that will see you dead. Whether we like it or not, the truth of the matter is whether or not we pray those prayers God is still going to protect us anyway, a protection of which does not guarantee in any way the safety of these set of wicked beings. Let's try and understand the scriptures by putting them into perspective of their various sources itself.

Thank you all. God bless everyone.

TheWalkingMind

Cc: OAMJ4

(1) (Reply)

How To Have A Wonderful Christmas Period / What Spiritual Gain And Value Was The Celebration Of Christmas To You? / A New Specie Has Emerge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.