Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? (648 Views)

LOL, See This Advertisement , We Really Are Living In The Future / Scientists Claim To Have Solved The Mystery Of The Bermuda Triangle / Scientists Accidentally Create A Plastic-eating Enzyme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by LordeCalifornia: 5:21pm On Dec 10, 2017
is there genuine science in Nigeria?
A little reaearch would reveal that most of the science we do here in Africa are copied and are outdated. all what we learn in school were all discovered and put up many years ago by foreign scientists.
nothing is original, All the equations and formulas we know were not developed by us.
all the practicals and experiments we do in school were all first carried out by foreign scientists(i wonder why we still do them)

even till date, you'd hardly ever see a Nigerian scientist engage in real life research. you'd hardly ever see a Nigerian scientist perform a first-time experiment, use calculus to derive equations to back up his experiments and all of that.

all what we know about space and the solar system are NASAs discoveries.
No Nigerian scientist has ever gone to space. We only read about these things from textbooks.
we are more like Textbook scientists.

Our final year science projects in universities are all not original.
we still see students building boilers, Wheel barrows, Drones(that would hardly fly) etc as final year science projects.

Most of us studying Microbiology do not even know what the course entails, I see many Microbiology graduates asking questions like "what do I do with my certificate? " "where can a microbiologist work?"

I do not know why we do not really take science too seriously in Africa though. maybe we have so many other things to worry about.
Re: Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by 4kings: 6:38pm On Dec 10, 2017
Ya, in comparison with the world we're not inclined to Science as much.
But there are few exaggerations with your posts though.

1)There are Nigerians that do engage in Scientific research. I've worked alongside some postgraduates students in the Bioinformatics department of Covenant University, and i can say there are "real life research" going on.
- One is currently working with Bayesian model for comparison of genes expression(connections with proteins production) in a plasmodium falciparum network and humans.
- I helped someone as regards programming aspect, for his project also involving plasmodium falciparum network but accessing metabolic reaction pathway system to identify genes to knockout.(Trust me i didn't understand most of the theoretical part of the project. grin)
- Covenant University is actually one of the centers for Bioinformatics research training in Africa recognized by H3ABioNet(an African Bioinformatics consortium).
- I'm sure there are other Nigerian Universities actively in some research works.

2)What's wrong with knowing space from others observations? tongue
- Nigeria actually has a satellite orbiting space that's an achievement tongue and a space research agency(NASRDA), though i'm not sure if they are effective.

So there are few Africans trying to well advance science in their own bit.
The problem so far is there aren't many organistions to donate fundings for research in Nigeria. A professor from CU is currently recieving funding from an organistaion in Germany for his research, that's rare in Nigeria.
Though Oyedepo donated N1billon for research in CU and Nigeria by extension, but i neva see any real thing to boast about or how many scientists and professors have taken part of the funding to take on very serious research.
Re: Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by LordeCalifornia: 8:22pm On Dec 10, 2017
4kings:
Ya, in comparison with the world we're not inclined to Science as much.
But there are few exaggerations with your posts though.

1)There are Nigerians that do engage in Scientific research. I've worked alongside some postgraduates students in the Bioinformatics department of Covenant University, and i can say there are "real life research" going on.
- One is currently working with Bayesian model for comparison of genes expression(connections with proteins production) in a plasmodium falciparum network and humans.
- I helped someone as regards programming aspect, for his project also involving plasmodium falciparum network but accessing metabolic reaction pathway system to identify genes to knockout.(Trust me i didn't understand most of the theoretical part of the project. grin)
- Covenant University is actually one of the centers for Bioinformatics research training in Africa recognized by H3ABioNet(an African Bioinformatics consortium).
- I'm sure there are other Nigerian Universities actively in some research works.

2)What's wrong with knowing space from others observations? tongue
- Nigeria actually has a satellite orbiting space that's an achievement tongue and a space research agency(NASRDA), though i'm not sure if they are effective.

So there are few Africans trying to well advance science in their own bit.
The problem so far is there aren't many organistions to donate fundings for research in Nigeria. A professor from CU is currently recieving funding from an organistaion in Germany for his research, that's rare in Nigeria.
Though Oyedepo donated N1billon for research in CU and Nigeria by extension, but i neva see any real thing to boast about or how many scientists and professors have taken part of the funding to take on very serious research.
But we do not see the results of these Experiments, they do not come up with laws and postulations after carrying out these experiments. do they? they do not modify our textbooks with their new discoveries.

Well, CU may be doing well when it comes to research, but majority of Nigerian institutions do little or nothing.
Re: Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by Vctr: 10:51am On Dec 11, 2017
Re: Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by Vctr: 10:59am On Dec 11, 2017
Alexander animalu is one of the notable theoretical physicist in Nigeria, he attracted a national energy research center to unn, though no work seems to be going on there. it's too bad we are engrossed in politics in this continent.
Re: Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by 4kings: 11:42am On Dec 11, 2017
LordeCalifornia:

But we do not see the results of these Experiments, they do not come up with laws and postulations after carrying out these experiments. do they? they do not modify our textbooks with their new discoveries.

Well, CU may be doing well when it comes to research, but majority of Nigerian institutions do little or nothing.
I think if we have more organistions willing to offer funding for research things would be much better.
Re: Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:38pm On Dec 13, 2017
All scientists depends on the work of other scientists before them and they do improve on the previous work of other scientists. Nigeria is no exception except that scientists in Africa do not have the the necessary funding. Check out tesla for instance billion of dollars has been put into the project it cars are yet to hit the road, try am for Nigeria. Who is willing to sponsor a million or billion naira project when he hasn't seen you start making money
Re: Do We Really Have Genuine Scientists In Nigeria? by cooldipo(m): 8:08am On Dec 14, 2017
This is the kind of question that bothers some with a virile conscience and thought process.... It is hard enough living with oneself as an academic in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Is Down / Check Out The Most Advanced Robot In The World And What It Does! (video) / Smart Grid's Next Frontiers:dg,storage,microgrids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.