Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. (10678 Views)

Gay Son Who Dumped Homosexual Lifestyle Was Saved By His Mother's Prayer / The Era Of The Law Was Also Era Of Grace: "But Noah Found Grace In God's Eyes" / New Photos Of Lizzy, Drug Addict Saved By Pastor Tony Rapu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 12, 2017
christemmbassey:
For God has revealed his grace for the salvation of all people. That grace instructs us to give up ungodly living and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in this world,
Titus 2:11‭-‬12 GNT
http://bible.com/68/tit.2.11-12.GNT
I don't understand your tagging me and giving me verses do we have any conversation
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:18am On Dec 14, 2017
Ferisidowu:

I disagree with you Calvin didn't invent that view he only expanded it he talked about it more .. Not that he invented it
do you want to tell us those who taught such before Calvin?
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:40am On Dec 14, 2017
Goshen360:

Abeg leaf me joor. Treat what I said not whether it's Calvin or not.....again good works are products of a saved life by Grace and not what preserve the grace saving life. What's wrong in what I said?
it is good to know who invented your teaching it tells us whether or not you are reading into scripture and ultimately teaching heresy.

you are pushing the 400 yrs old teaching of a man who was a lawyer by profession.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Goshen360(m): 6:27pm On Dec 14, 2017
Ubenedictus:
it is good to know who invented your teaching it tells us whether or not you are reading into scripture and ultimately teaching heresy.

you are pushing the 400 yrs old teaching of a man who was a lawyer by profession.

Again I don't know him. All I do is teach scriptures and if we disagree we both learn from each other with open mind...I like to question and challenge what people teach with another scriptures and if you can harmonize scriptures together with explanation then I'll look into what you teach and likewise me, I like people challenge me and how I harmonize scriptures together with explanation. That's the Berean spirit
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:02pm On Dec 14, 2017
Goshen360:

Again I don't know him. All I do is teach scriptures and if we disagree we both learn from each other with open mind...I like to question and challenge what people teach with another scriptures and if you can harmonize scriptures together with explanation then I'll look into what you teach and likewise me, I like people challenge me and how I harmonize scriptures together with explanation. That's the Berean spirit
lol,

if you are happy to examine your teachings then you should be willing to examine their origins, where they came from, who propounded them? are they historic Christian teaching or inventions by men merely 400yrs ago?

I guess the question is are those the teachings once and for all delivered to the saints or are they read into scriptures over a milenium after the apostles?
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by ichuka(m): 11:29pm On Dec 14, 2017
OP
So ones gift can turn to reward,right?
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:49pm On Dec 14, 2017
ichuka:
OP
So ones gift can turn to reward,right?
what if the giver sets a reward for whoever receives his gift.

because that is exactly what God did, he gifted us salvation, he gifted us the ability and capacity for good works and then promised to bless us with more favour, more reward for simply receiving his gift and bearing its fruits.

that is the stupendous generously of God and I am surprised some one will prefer to reduce it because it doesn't square up with the musings of a 19th century lawyer called Calvin.

so yes, In Christ gift can turn to reward, not because we strictly merit it but because God has bound himself by promise to give it to us.

1 Like

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by ichuka(m): 1:33am On Dec 15, 2017
Ubenedictus:
what if the giver sets a reward for whoever receives his gift.

because that is exactly what God did, he gifted us salvation, he gifted us the ability and capacity for good works and then promised to bless us with more favour, more reward for simply receiving his gift and bearing its fruits.

that is the stupendous generously of God and I am surprised some one will prefer to reduce it because it doesn't square up with the musings of a 19th century lawyer called Calvin.

so yes, In Christ gift can turn to reward, not because we strictly merit it but because God has bound himself by promise to give it to us.
The Giver sets the gift as a reward??
Dude,take it easy na haba.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by plainbibletruth: 8:27am On Dec 15, 2017
Ubenedictus:

Reward: to give money or another kind of payment to (someone or something) for something good that has been done.

Gift:
something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 9:52am On Dec 15, 2017
plainbibletruth:

Reward: to give money or another kind of payment to (someone or something) for something good that has been done.

Gift:
something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation.

dictionaries are usually correct except when we are talking in a particular field. I'm talking about theology not contemporary English.

actually the Bible teaches that the GIFT of eternal life is also a REWARD.

Matthew 5:12
"Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is
great; for in the same way they persecuted the
prophets who were before you.

Luke 6:23
"Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold,
your reward is great in heaven For in the same
way their fathers used to treat the prophets.

Revelation 22:12
"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is
with Me, to render to every man according to
what he has done.

Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the
upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 11:26
considering the reproach of Christ greater riches
than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to
the reward.

Matthew 16:27
"For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory
of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN
REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.

it is a gift because we can never merit it for our self, the Bible says no one can pay his own ransom.

it is reward because God promised to crown his graces with a reward as long as we receive it and walk in accordance to it.

that is why the Bible talks of heaven as both a gift and a reward.

it isn't and either/or case as Calvin taught, it is both/and
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 9:53am On Dec 15, 2017
ichuka:

The Giver sets the gift as a reward??
Dude,take it easy na haba.
why take it easy, God himself tell us his gift is a reward.

maybe this will help you understand why it is both grace and reward. it's a preacher called Augustine from 1600 yrs ago.

Chapter 20.— The Question Answered. Justification is
Grace Simply and Entirely, Eternal Life is Reward and
Grace.
This question, then, seems to me to be by no means
capable of solution, unless we understand that even
those good works of ours, which are recompensed
with eternal life, belong to the grace of God, because
of what is said by the Lord Jesus: "Without me you can
do nothing." John 15:5 And the apostle himself, after
saying, "By grace are you saved through faith ; and that
not of yourselves, it is the gift of God: not of works, lest
any man should boast;" Ephesians 2:8-9 saw, of course,
the possibility that men would think from this
statement that good works are not necessary to those
who believe , but that faith alone suffices for them; and
again, the possibility of men's boasting of their good
works, as if they were of themselves capable of
performing them. To meet, therefore, these opinions
on both sides, he immediately added, "For we are His
workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works,
which God has before ordained that we should walk in
them." Ephesians 2:10 What is the purport of his
saying, "Not of works, lest any man should boast," while
commending the grace of God? And then why does he
afterwards, when giving a reason for using such
words, say, "For we are His workmanship, created in
Christ Jesus unto good works" ? Why, therefore, does it
run, "Not of works, lest any man should boast"? Now,
hear and understand. "Not of works" is spoken of the
works which you suppose have their origin in yourself
alone; but you have to think of works for which God
has moulded (that is, has formed and created) you.
For of these he says, "We are His workmanship, created
in Christ Jesus unto good works." Now he does not here
speak of that creation which made us human beings,
but of that in reference to which one said who was
already in full manhood, "Create in me a clean heart, O
God ;" concerning which also the apostle says,
"Therefore, if any man be in Christ , he is a new creature:
old things are passed away; behold, all things have
become new. And all things are of God ."
2 Corinthians 5:17-18 We are framed, therefore, that is,
formed and created, "in the good works which" we have
not ourselves prepared, but "God has before ordained
that we should walk in them." It follows, then, dearly
beloved, beyond all doubt , that as your good life is
nothing else than God's grace , so also the eternal life
which is the recompense of a good life is the grace of
God ; moreover it is given gratuitously, even as that is
given gratuitously to which it is given. But that to
which it is given is solely and simply grace ; this
therefore is also that which is given to it, because it is
its reward —grace is for grace , as if remuneration for
righteousness; in order that it may be true, because it
is true, that God "shall reward every man according to his
works."
Chapter 21 [IX.]— Eternal Life is "Grace for Grace."
Perhaps you ask whether we ever read in the Sacred
Scriptures of " grace for grace." Well you possess the
Gospel according to John, which is perfectly clear in its
very great light. Here John the Baptist says of Christ:
"Of His fullness have we all received, even grace for
grace ." John 1:16 So that out of His fullness we have
received, according to our humble measure, our
particles of ability as it were for leading good lives —
"according as God has dealt to every man his measure of
faith ;" Romans 12:3 because "every man has his proper
gift of God ; one after this manner, and another after that."
1 Corinthians 7:7 And this is grace . But, over and
above this, we shall also receive "grace for grace," when
we shall have awarded to us eternal life, of which the
apostle said: "The grace of God is eternal life through
Jesus Christ our Lord," Romans 6:23 having just said
that "the wages of sin is death." Deservedly did he call it
"wages," because everlasting death is awarded as its
proper due to diabolical service. Now, when it was in
his power to say, and rightly to say: "But the wages of
righteousness is eternal life," he yet preferred to say: "The
grace of God is eternal life;" in order that we may hence
understand that God does not, for any merits of our
own, but from His own divine compassion, prolong our
existence to everlasting life. Even as the Psalmist says
to his soul , "Who crowns you with mercy and
compassion." Well, now, is not a crown given as the
reward of good deeds ? It is, however, only because He
works good works in good men, of whom it is said, "It
is God which works in you both to will and to do of His
good pleasure," Philippians 2:13 that the Psalm has it,
as just now quoted: "He crowns you with mercy and
compassion," since it is through His mercy that we
perform the good deeds to which the crown is
awarded. It is not, however, to be for a moment
supposed, because he said, "It is God that works in you
both to will and to do of his own good pleasure," that free
will is taken away. If this, indeed, had been his
meaning, he would not have said just before, "Work out
your own salvation with fear and trembling."
Philippians 2:12 For when the command is given "to
work," their free will is addressed; and when it is added,
"with fear and trembling," they are warned against
boasting of their good deeds as if they were their own,
by attributing to themselves the performance of
anything good. It is pretty much as if the apostle had
this question put to him: "Why did you use the phrase,
'with fear and trembling'?" And as if he answered the
inquiry of his examiners by telling them, "For it is God
which works in you." Because if you fear and tremble,
you do not boast of your good works — as if they were
your own, since it is God who works within you.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1510.htm
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by plainbibletruth: 11:05am On Dec 15, 2017
Ubenedictus:
dictionaries are usually correct except when we are talking in a particular field. I'm talking about theology not contemporary English.
actually the Bible teaches that the GIFT of eternal life is also a REWARD.
Matthew 5:12
"Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is
great; for in the same way they persecuted the
prophets who were before you.
Luke 6:23
"Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold,
your reward is great in heaven For in the same
way their fathers used to treat the prophets.
Revelation 22:12
"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is
with Me, to render to every man according to
what he has done.
Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the
upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Hebrews 11:26
considering the reproach of Christ greater riches
than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to
the reward.
Matthew 16:27
"For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory
of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN
REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.
it is a gift because we can never merit it for our self, the Bible says no one can pay his own ransom.
it is reward because God promised to crown his graces with a reward as long as we receive it and walk in accordance to it.
that is why the Bible talks of heaven as both a gift and a reward.
it isn't and either/or case as Calvin taught, it is both/and

1. "Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation." Romans 4: 4
According to the above verse our "works" are not credited as "gift".

2. Entrance into eternity with God is ONLY on the basis of his GIFT.

The inheritance we get, beyond salvation, is on the basis of how we lived our post-salvation lives:
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward." Colossians 3:24-25.

3. "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames." 1 Corinthians 3: 11-15.

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5: 10.

The above two Corinthians passages clearly distinguish between a person being saved and loss of rewards.

4. Therefore,
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2: 8-9.

"he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy....." Titus 3: 5a.

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time" 2 Timothy 1:9.

The "PRIZE" we'll receive as REWARD depends on how well we live in line with God's mandates. The SALVATION we possess is on the basis of faith ALONE in CHRIST ALONE.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:46am On Dec 15, 2017
plainbibletruth:
[size=6pt][/size]

1. "Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation." Romans 4: 4
According to the above verse our "works" are not credited as "gift".

2. Entrance into eternity with God is ONLY on the basis of his GIFT.

The inheritance we get, beyond salvation, is on the basis of how we lived our post-salvation lives:
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward." Colossians 3:24-25.

3. "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames." 1 Corinthians 3: 11-15.

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5: 10.

The above two Corinthians passages clearly distinguish between a person being saved and loss of rewards.

4. Therefore,
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2: 8-9.

"he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy....." Titus 3: 5a.

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time" 2 Timothy 1:9.

The "PRIZE" we'll receive as REWARD depends on how well we live in line with God's mandates. The SALVATION we possess is on the basis of faith ALONE in CHRIST ALONE.
because you used the big word salvation, you fail to distinguish between justification and glorification.

we are justified irrespective of works, in fact we are initially justified without a single good work done by ourselves. that is where the passage about without works come in.

but none is sanctified nor glorified irrespective of good work done in grace. that is why Jesus teaches that the test for heaven isn't do you believe? or do you have the spirit? it is based on works done in grace, did you feed, cloth, or visit me.
that is where the passage you quoted from Colossians comes in.

our inheritance, I.e glorification is achieved not just as gift but also as reward.

the 2 Corinthian passages actually agree with me, glorification include works and it is a reward, in fact it tells us what happens to the imperfect worker the guy who built on straw but it never anywhere talks about the guy who didn't build at all, it never says a person who has no works will be saved (glorification).
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Goshen360(m): 5:14pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ubenedictus:

because you used the big word salvation, you fail to distinguish between justification and glorification.

we are justified irrespective of works, in fact we are initially justified without a single good work done by ourselves. that is where the passage about without works come in.

but none is sanctified nor glorified irrespective of good work done in grace. that is why Jesus teaches that the test for heaven isn't do you believe? or do you have the spirit? it is based on works done in grace, did you feed, cloth, or visit me.
that is where the passage you quoted from Colossians comes in.

our inheritance, I.e glorification is achieved not just as gift but also as reward.

the 2 Corinthian passages actually agree with me, glorification include works and it is a reward, in fact it tells us what happens to the imperfect worker the guy who built on straw but it never anywhere talks about the guy who didn't build at all, it never says a person who has no works will be saved (glorification).

What really is your stand on this topic?

Works is a by product of salvation......or,

Works produces salvation?
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:53pm On Dec 16, 2017
Goshen360:

What really is your stand on this topic?

Works is a by product of salvation......or,

Works produces salvation?

let me put it down in simple terms,

when people say salvation they are usually referring to one or more of these works that God does in the life of believers.

1. justification: that act by which God translates us from the state in which we were born as sons of Adam into Sons of God by the merits of Christ. here the bible says we are saved by grace without works.

2. sanctification: the work of the HOLY spirit by which we are caused to live HOLY lives. here the bible says we should work out our salvation.
3. glorification: God crowns his graces in us and rewards our work. here works again plays a role.

therefore

1. work is a by product of salvation I.e justification.

2. work assures our salvation if by salvation we mean our eternal inheritance
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by plainbibletruth: 9:40pm On Dec 16, 2017
Ubenedictus:

let me put it down in simple terms,
when people say salvation they are usually referring to one or more of these works that God does in the life of believers.
1. justification: that act by which God translates us from the state in which we were born as sons of Adam into Sons of God by the merits of Christ. here the bible says we are saved by grace without works.
2. sanctification: the work of the HOLY spirit by which we are caused to live HOLY lives. here the bible says we should work out our salvation.
3. glorification: God crowns his graces in us and rewards our work. here works again plays a role.
therefore
1. work is a by product of salvation I.e justification.
2. work assures our salvation if by salvation we mean our eternal inheritance
You're getting things mixed up.
Salvation is a package with so many things in it.
Redemption, regeneration, justification, propitiation, imputation, forgiveness, etc, etc are all in the package.
No works is involved here. They are the results of FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE.
Remember the jailor in Acts 16 asked "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved"

After salvation, our christian production - works - is what will count toward eternal rewards. "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames. 1 Corinthians 3.
Jesus Christ the foundation gives us salvation. What we build on it determines our eternal rewards.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 17, 2017
Ken4Christ:
Yes, salvation is purely by grace and not of works. This is the requirements to get saved. But after you are saved, you are expected to do good works. Hence, Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them".

In addition Apostle Paul wrote, "Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works". (Titus 2:14). From this verse, we are not only expected to be involved in good works, we are supposed to be passionate about it. Failure to do that can make you lose your salvation.

Those who claim they are saved but are not involved in good works are those who "...profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.(Titus 1:16). "If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us". (2nd Timothy 2:12).

If you read carefully the letters our Lord Jesus wrote to the seven Churches in Asia minor, the emphasis was on works to each of the churches. And he warned them to repent and do the works they are supposed to do otherwise they will suffer the consequence.

The last letter which was addressed to the Church in Laodicians is of particular interest.

"He told them, I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."(Revelation 3:14-15).

What do you suppose Jesus meant when he said, I will spue thee out of my mouth? This is as good as saying, I will completely reject you. That city is located in the present day Turkey which are predominantly now Muslims.

The letters Jesus wrote to these churches is also addressed to us. At the end of each letter, It says, "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches".

A believer who says I am saved by grace but completely passive towards the works of the kingdom can be likened to a wicked and unreasonable servant in the parable of the talent. And the Scripture says,

And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth - Matthew 25:30.

In Hebrews 10:25, Apostle Paul cautioned against habitual abstinence from Church meetings. He concluded that those who do that will fall under the judgment of God - Hebrews 10:26-31.

The message of grace has really been highly misunderstood. That you are saved by grace should even inspire you to serve God with zeal. If after your salvation, you are not ardently involved in a local Church, you have invariably nullified your salvation.

In summary, your good works does not save you but after you are saved, your good works preserves your salvation.

Beautifully, beautifully written......
Very encouraging to see a fellow brother to truly understand this concept.

2 Likes

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 8:30pm On Dec 17, 2017
enshy:

Good day sir, I admire your write up!
But sincerely sir, both salvation experience and it's preservation are of Grace but evident by works.
Everything about christianity is Grace and Grace alone!
'Now unto Him that is able to keep us from falling and presents us faultless'
For without Jesus, we can do nothing!

Grace certainly plays a role from beginning to the end. It takes grace to serve God but you can hinder the grace from functioning in your life. The Bible says that grace reigns through righteousness. And good works is an act of righteousness.

God will judge us by our works and the judgment begins even on earth. Examine some of the following Scripture verses to understand my point.

Hebrews 2:1-3.
1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.

2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;

3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

The verses above says every disobedience will receive a just reward. How many of God's children are obedient to the instructions contained in the word of GOD?

Hebrews 3:12-14

12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Hebrews 10:25-31

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

These passage is a warning to those Who habitually miss Church services. Apostle Paul said they will not escape the judgment of GOD.

1 Like

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 8:32pm On Dec 17, 2017
Revelation 2:1-2
1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;

2 I know thy works, and thy labour,...

5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty,....

12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;

13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest,...

15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

19 I know thy works, and charity, and service,

Revelations 3:1

1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

8 I know thy works

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; note

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

These Scriptures clearly reveals our works plays an important role in God's judgment.

Revelations 20:12

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Revelations 22:12
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

1 Like

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 8:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
Evidence from the Gospels

Luke 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

Luke 14:26-27.
26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

John 15:1-2
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Don't just sit idle and expect you will make heaven on the vehicle of grace alone. Grace brought you into God's kingdom but you must yield to that grace to serve God in an acceptable manner.

1 Like

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 8:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
christemmbassey:
You see what tithes collection has led you into?
This is Profanity!
You foolish Galatians, who bewitched you..........
Have you started in the Spirit to end up in the flesh?
"the biggest problem in the church today is, many who don't know are teaching and feeding the flock poison.
Imaging this garbage!

You don't have to insult Me. I quoted Scriptures to buttress my points. You are supposed to refute my claims or properly interprete the Scriptures to me.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
plainbibletruth:

Redemption, regeneration, justification, propitiation, imputation, forgiveness, etc, etc are all in the package.
Remember the jailor in Acts 16 asked "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved"
After salvation, our christian production - works - is what will count toward eternal rewards. "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames. 1 Corinthians 3.
Jesus Christ the foundation gives us salvation. What we build on it determines our eternal rewards.

There are ways and manners you serve God that will completely disqualify you on that day. In addition, if you allow the works of the flesh to dominate you, you will not escape the judgment of God.

Remember the letter Jesus wrote to the Laodicean Church. Jesus addressed their works.

John 15:1-2 also addresses the fruits of our labour.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 1:04am On Dec 18, 2017
petra1:

I think your point is “FAITH WITHOUT WORK IS DEAD”

No Please. That is a different subject altogether. I mean salvation without works is damnation.

After you are saved and you have the opportunity to serve God but refuse To serve him, you will end up in hell.

Even habitual absence from Church service will attract God's judgment. Apostle Paul made it very clear in Hebrews 11:25-31.

Even our Lord Jesus said he will cut off any branch that doesn't produce fruit.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by petra1(m): 8:54am On Dec 18, 2017
Ken4Christ:

No Please. That is a different subject altogether. I mean salvation without works is damnation.

After you are saved and you have the opportunity to serve God but refuse To serve him, you will end up in hell.

Wrong sir. It’s not a criterial . He may not fulfill his calling . He may miss some reward in heaven but not lose his Salvation .

Even habitual absence from Church service will attract God's judgment. Apostle Paul made it very clear in Hebrews 11:25-31.

What of those who never have opportunity to attend church . Someone who got saved in prison or got saved online in a Muslim Family in Saudi . No church to attend

Even our Lord Jesus said he will cut off any branch that doesn't produce fruit.

It’s not true sir. Cut off from what . Was it from Salvation or from supply . Faith in christ is all that is required . As long as such a one did not backside into iniquity

1 Like

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by petra1(m): 12:06pm On Dec 18, 2017
Deleted.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by christemmbassey(m): 12:12pm On Dec 18, 2017
Ken4Christ:

You don't have to insult Me. I quoted Scriptures to buttress my points. You are supposed to refute my claims or properly interprete the Scriptures to me.
Sorry Brother, I was not trying to insult you but I was quoting Paul in Galatians. I'm very sorry if I misrepresented my post.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 9:21pm On Dec 18, 2017
petra1:

Wrong sir. It’s not a criterial . He may not fulfill his calling . He may miss some reward in heaven but not lose his Salvation .

What of those who never have opportunity to attend church . Someone who got saved in prison or got saved online in a Muslim Family in Saudi . No church to attend

It’s not true sir. Cut off from what . Was it from Salvation or from supply . Faith in christ is all that is required . As long as such a one did not backside into iniquity

There is Church everywhere even in prison. The Church is not the building. Two or three people gathered together in the name of Jesus are having Church.

If you don't agree with what is written in Hebrews 10:25-31, then you have a problem.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 9:22pm On Dec 18, 2017
christemmbassey:
Sorry Brother, I was not trying to insult you but I was quoting Paul in Galatians. I'm very sorry if I misrepresented my post.

OK. Run the race and keep the faith.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by petra1(m): 7:18am On Dec 19, 2017
Ken4Christ:

There is Church everywhere even in prison. The Church is not the building. Two or three people gathered together in the name of Jesus are having Church.

Is it every prison that has church ?

If you don't agree with what is written in Hebrews 10:25-31, then you have a problem.

I agree with what is written . The problem is that you’ need to understand what is written . Going to church is a necessity not a criteria. It’s not ticket to heaven . You go to church to be edified and also to edify others . If you’re in an environment where such is not possible not allowed it’s not a problem at all . God is not punishing people for not going to church or for fasting or praying . It’s wisdom to do it.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2017
plainbibletruth:

I think you are the person getting things mixed up.

you are looking at salvation as justification only, that is why you are running into trouble. maybe you have to define what you mean when you say salvation.

as for the jailer who asked what he must do to be saved, I think you are Cherry picking scriptures, that question was asked more than once the the new testament, and that wasn't the only answer given.

in acts 2 the Jews also ask that questions and the response wasn't FAITH ALONE, Peter told them repent, believe and be baptised. don't cherrypick act 16 because it supports Calvin's invention called faith alone.

let me rephrase your last paragraph.

After JUSTIFICATION our christian production - works - is what will count toward eternal rewards (GLORIFICATION). "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames. 1 Corinthians 3.

OUR SALVATION IS NOT COMPLETE UNTIL WE HAVE ACHIEVED GLORIFICATION IE RECEIVED OUR REWARD. And we will receive absolutely ZERO REWARDS if we do not show forth our faith in good works after we are justified.

you will receive absolutely zero reward (no heaven) if your salvation by Grace alone, through faith in Christ alone (aka justification) does not have a capacity for good works. your faith will not take you to heaven if it is without work.

that is what I mean when I say saved (justified) by grace without work, and assured of salvation (glorification) by works
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ken4Christ: 3:09pm On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

Is it every prison that has church ?

I agree with what is written . The problem is that you’ need to understand what is written . Going to church is a necessity not a criteria. It’s not ticket to heaven . You go to church to be edified and also to edify others . If you’re in an environment where such is not possible not allowed it’s not a problem at all . God is not punishing people for not going to church or for fasting or praying . It’s wisdom to do it.

Of course, Church attendance is not a ticket to heaven because devils also go to Church. But if you are already born again, you ought to be regular in Church.

If someone didn't have the opportunity to fellowship because he is in prison, he will not be judged. But if you have churches all around you and you habitually miss Church, you will not escape the judgment of God.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by plainbibletruth: 6:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:

I think you are the person getting things mixed up.

you are looking at salvation as justification only, that is why you are running into trouble. maybe you have to define what you mean when you say salvation.
Did you read my first paragraph where I wrote: "Salvation is a package with so many things in it.?

And now you're saying I'm "looking at salvation as justification only"?

I think it's good not to be rushing to push your points without taking time to carefully read through others' posts.

Perhaps you need to go back and do that with my post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Will God's Chosen People Do This ? ( Graphic ) / What's The Difference Between Christianity And Jehovah Witness? / Are There Degrees Of Punishment In Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.