Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,017 members, 7,799,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. (10664 Views)

Gay Son Who Dumped Homosexual Lifestyle Was Saved By His Mother's Prayer / The Era Of The Law Was Also Era Of Grace: "But Noah Found Grace In God's Eyes" / New Photos Of Lizzy, Drug Addict Saved By Pastor Tony Rapu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 5:57pm On Jan 07, 2018
since I have dropped one line of discussion let me take this up.
Ferisidowu:

Lolz anyways I'd like you to show me the doctrines and the things wrong with it

I'm very sure none of his doctrines are heretic
for the benefit of those who may not understand this line of discussion let me explain.

John Calvin was a Swiss lawyer in the 16th century, King Henry, Martin Luther, Cramer Zwingli and himself are the people mainly responsible for the theological shift that gave birth to Protestantism. in fact he is the father of the brand of theology called reformed theology, if you are a Presbyterian or an Evangelical that preach once saved always saved or a Baptist... then Calvin is your father in theology.

Martin Luther was his predecessor... Martin Luther was a priest who was very scrupulous and his conscience always beat him up...so he said he has found the true gospel while reading the Bible he read d just shall live by faith he understood it to that the only thing needed for salvation is faith or faith alone, sola fide.. he later translated a German Bible and in that passage he actually translated as the just shall live by faith ALONE.in fact he claimed no work was needed, then he added that even though you committed adultery 100 times a day, so far you still had faith the your salvation is secure, so by that belief his conscience stop disturbing him. He decided to share this in the university as the real GOSPEL...well he soon got excommunicated

Calvin was a younger than Luther so he took Luther's teaching and expanded it and since he was a lawyer, he used those skills to smoothen what was a rather rough doctrine... he decided Luther made more sense if you mixed his teaching with predestination.

now you need to understand that Calvin wasn't the first to link predestination and salvation, Paul was d first to do it he said those who God foreknew, he predestined, called, justified...glorified in fact another Christian picked up the topic 400 years later his name was Augustine, he is regarded all through Christendom as an astute theologian but nobody managed to explain theology/soteriology the way Calvin did his was a brand new idea.

Calvin's theology is popularly called TULIP
T for total depravity
u for unconditional predestination
l for limited atonement
I for irresistible grace
p for perseverance of the elect aka once saved always saved.

apart from these he believed that justification was confered in baptism not really through the sinners prayer.

ofcoz he believed the pope was d Antichrist normal
that the formulation of doctrine belonged to the pastor and the laity should submit.
was the first reformer to allow divorce if we don't count king Henry.

but those are small issues the main issue is the tulip
to be continued
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 6:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
joshnes:
what is an elect's salvation?
if you want to understand what an elect salvation means please start reading my Post about Calvin
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Goshen360(m): 6:24pm On Jan 07, 2018
jwals:

The reason for quoting you, is that, I want to know if what you meant was that good works, is not a necessity after salvation? I know that we are justified by faith in christ and how can I show you my faith without works,

I never taught good works isn't necessary after salvation but good works itself doesn't give one salvation neither does it preserve salvation like the op said. You're first saved and you produce the fruits which are evidence of good works. While we're yet sinners Christ died for us but we some or many of us did good works then, does that mean we're saved or does those good works done while we're sinners guaranteed salvation?

2 Likes

Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 6:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
Goshen360:

I never taught good works isn't necessary after salvation but good works itself doesn't give one salvation neither does it preserve salvation like the op said. You're first saved and you produce the fruits which are evidence of good works. While we're yet sinners Christ died for us but we some or many of us did good works then, does that mean we're saved or does those good works done while we're sinners guaranteed salvation?
think I get your point and I can agree to a large extent

but let me ask since you used the term salvation all through do you consider sanctification as part of salvation? I.e is salvation a one time event?
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Goshen360(m): 6:55pm On Jan 07, 2018
Ubenedictus:
think I get your point and I can agree to a large extent

but let me ask since you used the term salvation all through do you consider sanctification as part of salvation? I.e is salvation a one time event?

Salvation was used 3 ways in the bible. We're saved, being saved and will be saved. That's why I keep smh at you when you class me among some Calvin stuff but I don't even know such stuff.

So what salvation does your question deal with?
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:29pm On Jan 07, 2018
Goshen360:

Salvation was used 3 ways in the bible. We're saved, being saved and will be saved. That's why I keep smh at you when you class me among some Calvin stuff but I don't even know such stuff.

we are closer than I imagined, I was wrong, I am sorry for lumping u.

there is a salvation no one has talked about, being saved.

I'll also like to hear your opinion on will be saved
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:31pm On Jan 07, 2018
Goshen360:

my question is about being saved
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Goshen360(m): 9:17pm On Jan 07, 2018
Ubenedictus:
my question is about being saved

Off course justification, righteousness etc are imputed at salvation. ....when we are savED.....because justification is not in continuing tense of the work of God nor righteousness etc
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 08, 2018
author=Ubenedictus post=63935127]

one of the lies inherent modern Calvinist teaching is the perchance for creating false dichotomy, you guys always manage to create an either or teaching and the teaching above is an example.

I don't know Calvinist teaching but I study the bible which teaches me righteousness by faith alone. Righteousness by faith and works which you are trying to teach is a damnable heresy.

now listen.

Justification is not just a declaration, when God says something he does it, [b]when God declares the believer justified he makes him truly just because God does not declare falsehood. when I became justified God didn't just proclaim me just, he washed away my sins, granted me the merits of Christ's death, the holy spirit, made me His son and in truth I became just.
@ bold u think God declaring a sinner righteous is because of the qualification of that sinner? God declares a filthy sinner completely righteous because of what Christ has done not because of any good.quality a sinner has/will possess.

(this is the first difference BTW historic Christian teachings and the Protestant invention. the Protestants teach that when God justify a person he doesn't really make the person just instead God is only making a declaration).
Only in the figment of your imagination. When you said protestant churches, which ones? For your information, when God declares a man just it means he is completely free and righteous. A justified man does not need to start justifying himself again when God has done that.

this righteousness is a lived reality, it isn't just a declaration it is a reality in the believer, God grants this righteousness to us by grace, crediting to our account the merits of Jesus and because righteousness is a reality not merely a declaration, the Bible clearly teaches that what we do in this body affect the righteousness we have received[/b]
righteousness is worked in that person by God. A man who is bornagain has God Almighty living in him. God is always working in that person. Please this is enough heresy in one post. How does work change the righteousness of God? The righteousness of God is forever.

Psalms 119:142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.

Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

These two verses reveals that God's righteousness is for ever and that is the type of righteousness brought by Jesus, an everlasting righteousness.
Hope you know the meaning of everlasting righteousness?

some like to think that righteousness is some fixed lump that a believer is given that make him always ok with God, no, no. righteousness is that grace not just by which we are declared just but by which we are actually and truly just.
Read up the two verses above and my previous reply. If you claim God declared you just and yet you feel not truely just then you don't believe God, you are still in your sin.

let me explain from scriptures.

1. we are righteous by grace through the merits of Jesus.

This righteousness is given through
faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no
difference between Jew and Gentile.
now thank God you said righteousness is given because Jesus merited it. Why will God is demand further merit if Jesus has done all? U are contradicting yourself.

Romans 3:22
Romans 5:18
Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came
upon all men to condemnation; even so by the
righteousness of one the free gift came upon all
men unto justification of life.
Another verse for you, do you know the meaning of a free gift?

2. after we have received this righteousness we must live for it. it is a lived reality.
righteousness is a nature that reflects outside. When Jesus lives in you, your life radiates his presence. You don't struggle to live a Christ life which is God's definition of a righteous life.

[b]“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so
that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by
his wounds you have been healed.”
1 Peter 2:24
3. to live righteously is the opposition of sinful deeds
you are just looking for a way to manipulate scripture. Read my posts again and more slowly.

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath
appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying
ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly,
righteously, and godly, in this present world.
Titus 2:11-12
Do you see that it is grace that teaches us to live Godly, and righteously? It is the working of grace that does this.

4. righteousness is not just what we are declared to be, it is both a gift, and a pattern of life that we must pursue.

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue
righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and
gentleness.
Righteousness is not what God declares a man to be? Such blasphemous heresy coming out from you? So if God declares a man righteous, it is you that has the power to declare him unrighteous?
Romans 8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

5. such that he who practices righteousness is truly righteous

Little children, let no one deceive you! The one who
does what is right is righteous, just as He is
righteous.
1 John 3:7
Anyone who does what is right has a righteous nature. Now question which man on earth is righteous?

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Isaia said all your righteous works is filthy rag

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

[:quote]6. he who commit sin has lost righteousness and now is in unrighteousness.

However, if righteous people turn from their righteous
behavior and start doing sinful things and act like
other sinners, should they be allowed to live? No, of
course not! All their righteous acts will be forgotten,
and they will die for their sins.[/quote]
Hope you know the difference between human Righteosness and God's righteousness.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to
forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all
unrighteousness.
Romans 6:13
Neither yield ye your members as instruments of
un righteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto
God, as those that are alive from the dead, and
your members as instruments of righteousness
unto God.[/b]
Confession of sin doesn't make you righteous. If a believer sin, it doesn't mean he lost righteousness. Sin actually grieves God, that is why a believer will confess his sin to God personally with any earthly medium because God his is Father.
I have no issue with believers living a righteous life for this is the evidence of their new birth but adding works to grace as means to be saved is a lie from the pit.

I can go on and on but this is sufficient the point is made.

the man who received righteousness by faith must continue in it by works for John says The one who
does what is right is righteous, just as He is
righteous and avoid sin which is opposed to and destroys righteousness.

The believer who is made righteous by grace must live righteously by works and avoid sin that bring forth unrighteousness.
I want to say that faith is not a mere confession or a statement of allegiance to do better but a total reliance, hope and assurance on Christ and his finished works accepting God's word.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 1:24am On Jan 08, 2018
[quote author=Ubenedictus post=63935722]this is what happen when people read invention of men into scriptures, they end up abusing scriptures just to satisfy their invention.
so says a man who prefers human traditions to God's inspired word.

1.yes works cannot justify but the Bible is clear that judgement is based on works and works can condemn.

Romans 2:6-8 New American Bible (Revised
Edition) (NABRE)
who will repay everyone according to his works:
eternal life to those who seek glory, honor,
and immortality through perseverance in good
works, but wrath and fury to those who selfishly
disobey the truth and obey wickedness.
the bible never said a believe would be condem because of his work. Every man will be rewarded base on his works because works is a product of nature.
Paul was describing the life of a regenerate person he wasn't saying it as a means to be saved.

2. The slothful servant is not the one trying to appease his Master, the slothful servant is one who doesn't WORK, sloth means unwillingness to work, stop trying to twist it.
whichever way the slotful servant was a sinner who pretended to be who he is not.

3. the parable is clear, goats are those who didn't work even though they had the opportunity. there is no mention of born again there, that passage is clear. the goats are like the slothful servant who refused to work.
only those who are bornagain are Christ sheep anyone who is not bornagain is a goat eg the slothful servant.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 6:53am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:
so says a man who prefers human traditions to God's
inspired word.

at least I am not the one here teaching the tradition of Calvin and Luther in place of God's words
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 7:22am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:
the bible never said a believe would be condem
because of his work. Every man will be rewarded base
on his works because works is a product of nature.
Paul was describing the life of a regenerate person he
wasn't saying it as a means to be saved
first of all I never said a person is justified based on his works...in fact you are arguing with yourself,

I said a person will be judged based on works and the Bible is clear on that.
Edition) (NABRE)

a believer who disobeyed God and practices unrighteousness will go to hell just like a pagan... his faith alone will not save him.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 7:54am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:

I don't know Calvinist teaching but I study the bible which teaches me righteousness by faith alone. Righteousness by faith and works which you are trying to teach is a damnable heresy.

there is nowhere in the Bible that teaches salvation by faith alone. ....the word faith and alone appears just once in the entire Bible and it says "we are not justified by faith alone". so don't tell me you read faith alone in the Bible, there are only two places people here faith alone,

1. in churches that teach the tradition of Calvin/Luther
2. in websites that teach the tradition of Calvin/Luther.

this is what the Bible teaches.

1. that we are saved I.e justified by grace through the merits of Christ received by faith apart from works and thus receive righteousness
2. we are justified that we may perform good works and thus walk in that righteousness we have received so that he who acts rightly is righteous as He is righteous.
3. we are judged in accordance with our works on the day of judgement thus God reward the good works we have done by his Grace here and in heaven.

these are biblical facts
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:03am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:
whichever way the slotful servant was a sinner who
pretended to be who he is not.
only those who are bornagain are Christ sheep anyone
who is not bornagain is a goat eg the slothful servant.
nope.

the slothful servant didn't pretend he just refused to use the grace he was given for works.

the goats are those who refused to work simple, the sheep are those in Christ who did that which God wants.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:09am On Jan 08, 2018
Goshen360:

Off course justification, righteousness etc are imputed at salvation. ....when we are savED.....because justification is not in continuing tense of the work of God nor righteousness etc

when you say imputed do you mean it in the sense of forensic justification.

justification is not in the continuing tense true, but you still haven't explained in what sense we are being saved.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 08, 2018
Ubenedictus:

at least I am not the one here teaching the tradition of Calvin and Luther in place of God's words
who are these people? If their teaching agree with scripture, then it is acceptable. Unlike roman catholic tradition that is straight out of hell.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 08, 2018
author=Ubenedictus post=63993853] first of all I never said a person is justified based on his works...in fact you are arguing with yourself,

I said a person will be judged based on works and the Bible is clear on that.
Edition) (NABRE)
I have answered you before.

1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

a believer who disobeyed God and practices unrighteousness will go to hell just like a pagan... his faith alone will not save him.
you don't know what it means to be bornagain.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:49am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:
I have answered you before.

1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
here you go again.

does that verse talk about someone who refuses to work? it talks about those whose work are imperfect, it doesn't even talk about those who do evil.

Edition) (NABRE)

you don't know what it means to be bornagain.
lol.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:52am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:
who are these people? If their teaching agree with scripture, then it is acceptable. Unlike roman catholic tradition that is straight out of hell.
they are the founders of Protestantism and just like you their heir in protestantism they cherry pick scripture and then spin it terribly.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 9:16am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:

@ bold u think God declaring a sinner righteous is because of the qualification of that sinner? God declares a filthy sinner completely righteous because of what Christ has done not because of any good.quality a sinner has/will possess.

Only in the figment of your imagination. When you said protestant churches, which ones? For your information, when God declares a man just it means he is completely free and righteous. A justified man does not need to start justifying himself again when God has done that.

I never said a sinner is justified because of his qualification in fact I said the opposite.

a sinner is justified irrespective of good works, it is based on mercy and Grace.

I mean the whole Protestant movement it is built on something called forensic justification, that is when God declares us righteous he doesn't really make us righteous, he just covers on top our sin with his righteousness.

as they say, they claim the believer is like shit covered with snow.

welcome to your world of Protestantism
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by joshnes(m): 9:26am On Jan 08, 2018
Ubenedictus:
if you want to understand what an elect salvation means please start reading my Post about Calvin
send the link
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 08, 2018
author=Ubenedictus post=63994613]

there is nowhere in the Bible that teaches salvation by faith alone. ....the word faith and alone appears just once in the entire Bible and it says "we are not justified by faith alone". so don't tell me you read faith alone in the Bible, there are only two places people here faith alone,
@bold if salvation is not by faith alone then, it can not be a gift but by works. You cannot be work for what is given to you as gift. The bible teaches salvation is by grace without human contribution which is the clear definition of faith alone.

Salvation is a gift.

Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

1. in churches that teach the tradition of Calvin/Luther
2. in websites that teach the tradition of Calvin/Luther.
why blame Calvin/Luther for what is written in the bible in black and white.

this is what the Bible teaches.

1. that we are saved I.e justified by grace through the merits of Christ received by [b]faith apart from works [/b]and thus receive righteousness
I laugh,@ bold you are truly arguing with yourself. A man can be justified by faith apart from works.you have defined faith alone already.

2. we are justified that we may perform good works and thus walk in that righteousness we have received so that he who acts rightly is righteous as He is righteous.
you are just dribbling yourself. A man is justified by faith alone, Agreed. Righteousness is also God's work in man that is saved transforming him into the image of Christ. A man is not righteous by trying to live righteous. He is righteous because God has made him righteous just like God himself.

3. we are judged in accordance with our works on the day of judgement thus God reward the good works we have done by his Grace here and in heaven.

these are biblical facts
if Good works cannot save anybody good works condem anybody. If a bornagain believer has good works he will be rewarded. If he doesn't have he will lose his reward but still be saved.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 08, 2018
Ubenedictus:
nope.

the slothful servant didn't pretend he just refused to use the grace he was given for works.

the goats are those who refused to work simple, the sheep are those in Christ who did that which God wants.
lol the bible didn't say they were giving grace but talents. You don't know what grace is. The slothful servant obviously had a quarrel with his master, this is one attribute of unreconciled man.
A goat will always refuse to work. What is the work of God?
John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
God wants all to believe on his Son.

Anyone who do not put his 100% faith on Christ alone is a goat
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 10:47am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:

righteousness is worked in that person by God. A man who is bornagain has God Almighty living in him. God is always working in that person. Please this is enough heresy in one post. How does work change the righteousness of God? The righteousness of God is forever.

Psalms 119:142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.

Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

These two verses reveals that God's righteousness is for ever and that is the type of righteousness brought by Jesus, an everlasting righteousness.
Hope you know the meaning of everlasting righteousness?
as usual you are teaching martin Luther's invention. Luther was confused about the righteousness that belongs to God by nature and that which is ours by grace.
The righteousness of God is an everlasting righteousness because God is righteous by nature thus righteous for ever, the righteousness that Christ brings is everlasting in the sense that it is from age to age and forever. it doesn't mean that any body who is made righteous will never go against it. in fact the Bible clearly says that the believer sometimes falls into unrighteousness and has to be forgiven.
unrighteousness.

God is righteous by nature and cannot wrought unrighteousness but we who are made righteous by grace can wrought unrighteousness and thus need to be forgiven.

Read up the two verses above and my previous reply. If you claim God declared you just and yet you feel not truely just then you don't believe God, you are still in your sin.

now thank God you said righteousness is given because Jesus merited it. Why will God is demand further merit if Jesus has done all? U are contradicting yourself.
my dear Jesus merit for us the grace by which we are justified, he merited for us the grace also to do good works.

you can't sit in your house and claim that because Jesus merited the grace that justifies then you won't do the good works his he has foreordained.

the work of Jesus is completed, yours is not, get off your ass and go do the works for which he graced you.
Another verse for you, do you know the meaning of a free gift?

righteousness is a nature that reflects outside. When Jesus lives in you, your life radiates his presence. You don't struggle to live a Christ life which is God's definition of a righteous life.
righteousness is not by nature for man, it is by grace. and it is a lived reality.
“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the
cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness;
“by his wounds you have been healed.”

you are just looking for a way to manipulate scripture. Read my posts again and more slowly.

Do you see that it is grace that teaches us to live Godly, and righteously? It is the working of grace that does this.
of course it is grace that not only teach us but also enable us to live Godly lives so that the righteousness we received as Grace is thus a lived reality. not don't-work-you-are-OK you have been preaching.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 10:55am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:
lol the bible didn't say they were giving grace but talents. You don't know what grace is. The slothful servant obviously had a quarrel with his master, this is one attribute of unreconciled man.
A goat will always refuse to work. What is the work of God?
John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
God wants all to believe on his Son.

Anyone who do not put his 100% faith on Christ alone is a goat
lol.

what are those talents if not grace?

the Bible doesn't record a previous quarrel between them all the Bible says it that the servant didn't work with what he had received.

in the passage in question the work is feeding the hungry, clothing the naked...etc. stop cherry picking scriptures.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 11:40am On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:
@bold if salvation is not by faith alone then, it can not be a gift but by works. You cannot be work for what is given to you as gift. The bible teaches salvation is by grace without human contribution which is the clear definition of faith alone.

Salvation is a gift.

Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

why blame Calvin/Luther for what is written in the bible in black and white.

I laugh,@ bold you are truly arguing with yourself. A man can be justified by faith apart from works.you have defined faith alone already.
now you seem confused.

a man is justified by faith apart from works and yet that faith cannot be said to be alone because the Bible says elsewhere that an alone faith is a dead faith, in fact it says NOT by faith alone. so what are the other things God wrought in us besides faith?
King James Bible
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is
not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet
hope for?
Romans 8:24

something important that saving faith must move with is hope. if you don't hope to receive what God has promised then sorry you are on your own.

but the metal that even springs faith to life and binds it all together is love.
if I have a faith that
can move mountains, but do not have love, I am
nothing. 1 cor 13.
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor
uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that
counts is faith expressing itself through love.
in fact John says If you don't love you are in death. if a man believe but doesn't love nor hope, then his faith alone certainly won't save him. that is why I don't teach a faith that is alone.

you are just dribbling yourself. A man is justified by faith alone, Agreed. Righteousness is also God's work in man that is saved transforming him into the image of Christ. A man is not righteous by trying to live righteous. He is righteous because God has made him righteous just like God himself.
nope, the faith that justifies can't be alone. here is your problem again another dichotomy, righteousness is Gods work of grace in man transforming his to the image of Christ correct!!! but the righteousness is shown in right living that is why John says he who acts rightly (addressing believers) is righteous even as he is righteous.

you can't receive righteousness and claim you are still in that righteousness and not live rightly, that is a contradiction

if Good works cannot save anybody good works condem anybody. If a bornagain believer has good works he will be rewarded. If he doesn't have he will lose his reward but still be saved.
argue that with the HOLY spirit and Paul for they clearly wrote that the doers of evil works are condemned.
Edition) (NABRE)
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 12:02pm On Jan 08, 2018
joshnes:
send the link
how wish I could, it is a whole book Calvin wrote termed institutes of Christian religion.

I'm trying to condense his main points and refut them here. I just finished the post on Calvin, I'll start the on addressing tulip
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 1:18pm On Jan 08, 2018
solite3:

Righteousness is not what God declares a man to be? Such blasphemous heresy coming out from you? So if God declares a man righteous, it is you that has the power to declare him unrighteous?
Romans 8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
read what I said again and this time try not to misquote me.
4. righteousness is not just what we are declared to
be, it is both a gift, and a pattern of life that we must
pursue.
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue
righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and
gentleness.
do you see how what I wrote isn't even supposed to increase your temperature? righteousness isn't just a declaration it is also a lived reality.

Anyone who does what is right has a righteous nature. Now question which man on earth is righteous?
that is John talking to believers those who have received righteousness as grace they are to continue therein for he who act rightly is righteous even as he is

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Isaia said all your righteous works is filthy rag

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
tell that to the unbelievers

Confession of sin doesn't make you righteous. If a believer sin, it doesn't mean he lost righteousness. Sin actually grieves God, that is why a believer will confess his sin to God personally with any earthly medium because God his is Father.

argue this one with John.

unrighteousness.
I have no issue with believers living a righteous life for this is the evidence of their new birth but adding works to grace as means to be saved is a lie from the pit.

The believer who is made righteous by grace must live righteously by works and avoid sin that bring forth unrighteousness. I want to say that faith is not a mere confession or a statement of allegiance to do better but a total reliance, hope and assurance on Christ and his finished works accepting God's word.
oh ofcuz you have no problems with believers living a righteous life but you think it's OK and has no consequence when believer live unrighteously abi?
my Bible tells me how God will judge those in grave sins even if they are believers.
For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or
greedy person--such a person is an idolater--has any
inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. eph 5;5

so again I reject the invention of Luther and Calvin.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 08, 2018
[quote author=Ubenedictus post=63999516] as usual you are teaching martin Luther's invention. Luther was confused about the righteousness that belongs to God by nature and that which is ours by grace.
you know nothing about the Christian faith. I bet you don't know what it means to be bornagain.

The righteousness of God is an everlasting righteousness because God is righteous by nature thus righteous for ever, the righteousnes[b]s that Christ brings is everlasting in the sense that it is from age to age and foreverb].
@ bold if Christ brought in everlasting righteousness, how then do you think those who have it can lose it?

i
t doesn't mean that any body who is made righteous will never go against it. in fact the Bible clearly says that the believer sometimes falls into unrighteousness and has to be forgiven.
unrighteousness.
. Stop reading your taught into scripture, how can a righteous man go against righteousness? If a believer walks in the flesh he can be filled with unrighteousness,mind you it does not change the nature of Christ in him neither does it change his position as a righteous man only there will be a brake in God's fellowship.

God is righteous by nature and cannot wrought unrighteousness but we who are made righteous by grace can wrought unrighteousness and thus need to be forgiven.

my dear Jesus merit for us the grace by which we are justified, he merited for us the grace also to do good works.
God has a righteous nature so are those who are bornagain.

2 Peter 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

you can't sit in your house and claim that because Jesus merited the grace that justifies then you won't do the good works his he has foreordained.

the work of Jesus is completed, yours is not, get off your ass and go do the works for which he graced you.
the work of Jesus has been credited to me. I don't need to anymore work. How had for you to understand. Good works for a believer is normal. Before you talk about good works you must be saved. Good works is just a by product of salvation not a requirement.

righteousness is not by nature for man, it is by grace. and it is a lived reality.
“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the
cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness;
“by his wounds you have been healed.”

of course it is grace that not only teach us but also enable us to live Godly lives so that the righteousness we received as Grace is thus a lived reality. not don't-work-you-are-OK you have been preaching.
how many times will I tell you that a bornagain man is righteous he partakes of God's righteousness. He is righteous in deed and in taught this is the effect of God's righteous nature in him.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 08, 2018
Ubenedictus:
lol.

what are those talents if not grace?

the Bible doesn't record a previous quarrel between them all the Bible says it that the servant didn't work with what he had received.

in the passage in question the work is feeding the hungry, clothing the naked...etc. stop cherry picking scriptures.
see ignorance, when has talent become grace? You lack comprehension. When the servant accused the master as a hard man that always want to reap where he did not sow, what is that? Smh
If you like feed the hungry, clothe the naked..etc even give your self as sacrifice, if you are not bornagain you can't see the kingdom of heaven.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 08, 2018
[
quote author=Ubenedictus post=64001057] now you seem confused.

a man is justified by faith apart from works and yet that faith cannot be said to be alone because the Bible says elsewhere that an alone faith is a dead faith, in fact it says NOT by faith alone. so what are the other things God wrought in us besides faith?
King James Bible
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is
not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet
hope for?
Romans 8:24
smh you are obviously confused. Sit down and study the bible.

something important that saving faith must move with is hope. if you don't hope to receive what God has promised then sorry you are on your own.

but the metal that even springs faith to life and binds it all together is love.
if I have a faith that
can move mountains, but do not have love, I am
nothing. 1 cor 13.
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor
uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that
counts is faith expressing itself through love.
in fact John says If you don't love you are in death. if a man believe but doesn't love nor hope, then his faith alone certainly won't save him. that is why I don't teach a faith that is alone.

nope, the faith that justifies can't be alone. here is your problem again another dichotomy, righteousness is Gods work of grace in man transforming his to the image of Christ correct!!! but the righteousness is shown in right living that is why John says he who acts rightly (addressing believers) is righteous even as he is righteous.

you can't receive righteousness and claim you are still in that righteousness and not live rightly, that is a contradiction

argue that with the HOLY spirit and Paul for they clearly wrote that the doers of evil works are condemned.
Edition) (NABRE)
disobey the truth and obey wickednes.
you need to be bornagain. Nicodemus never understood what Jesus was saying even those he was knowledgable in worldly knowledge.
Re: Saved By Grace But Preserved By Works. by Ubenedictus(m): 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2018
joshnes:
send the link
I almost continued my post on Calvinist doctrine but since you asked for a link... here is how Calvinist teach it

www.reformed.org/documents/index.html?mainframe=http://www.reformed.org/documents/synod_of_dort.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangers Of Sleeping With Another Man’s Wife / Are Pastors Thieves Without Guns? / Will God's Chosen People Do This ? ( Graphic )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.