Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (56395 Views)

Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English / The Difference Between The Phrases “you And Me” And “you And I” / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by eazydon(m): 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2017
Please vote her as the incoming queen

MABP 2018 is an event that is geared towards preaching peace, love and unity in Obolo, Rivers State, Nigeria. You can vote you favorite contestant by like her photo and liking the MABP 2018 page.

Please vote Miss Ukaraeji Maxwell as the Face of Andoni 2018.

Below is the link to her photo

Link 1 --- https:///xozPqB

Link2: https://www.facebook.com/MissAndoni/photos/a.1411640512286748.1073741827.1411607802290019/1411655782285221/?type=3&theater

Or you can go to this page https://www.facebook.com/MissAndoni ,

Like the page, find 'Contestant No. 4', like her photo and drop a comment under the photo.

You're also welcome to share the photo to your network of friends. We appreciate your support immensely
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by chidexangee: 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2017
okay
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by femijohn21(m): 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2017
OfficialAwol:

Even the one trying to teach us English, doesn't know the difference between "imaging" and "imagine"...

I suggest you find something else to blog on..

Learn how to correct in love. Nobody is above mistake.

You could have just said that a mistake is sighted, to point the attention of the OP instead of trying to frustrate his/her effort.

Don't do that again. Is that taken?
OfficialAwol:

Even the one trying to teach us English, doesn't know the difference between "imaging" and "imagine"...

You could have just said that a mistake is sighted, to point the attention of the OP instead of trying to frustrate his/her effort.

OfficialAwol:

1 Like

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by naija2(f): 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2017
G
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by tuoyoojo(m): 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2017
thanks O.P
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by femi4: 1:48pm On Dec 12, 2017
Swaggzkid:
Thanks Op, av learnt something new already today before 10am.

how do you do?
Gbogbo wa la dudu ni Nigeria
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Radiant1020(f): 1:49pm On Dec 12, 2017
[sup][/sup]
eleojo23:
OP, noted.

I will try my possible best not to make these mistakes again. grin

Lol... You no dey try o
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Nobody: 1:53pm On Dec 12, 2017
OfficialAwol:

Lol smh grin
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by nijaboi(m): 1:55pm On Dec 12, 2017
Engr. English biko, presently also means at the moment.
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by BabaRay007(m): 1:55pm On Dec 12, 2017
nice one but English no easy oooh
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by nijaboi(m): 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2017
Honestly, it is high time we start learning Physics with Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo. imagine how A1 go plenty for waec.
My question: she omo ale ni Nigerians ni?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by t00dugged(f): 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2017
Gbadegesin19:
Should I come n go and die?
had to laugh, make we kuku combine the two, short knicker indeed grin
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Pacyrus(m): 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2017
How do you do?
Swaggzkid:

how do you do?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Pierohandsome: 2:10pm On Dec 12, 2017
Ok
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by erico2k2(m): 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2017
Samstyle:
Hello everyone, today we will discuss some wrong English sentence/phrases that is prevalent among students. Most especially, in Nigeria.

I advise you read painstakingly and study the sentences, as they will help you improve your grammatical structure.

Now, let's get going.

1. BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHERS.

Note that the proverb " birds of a feather" is never "birds of the same feathers". The correct form of this is;

"Birds of a feather" Not "Birds of the same feathers"

2. POSSIBLE BEST or BEST POSSIBLE

Avoid the use of "BEST POSSIBLE" or "POSSIBLE BEST". Simply say "BEST".

For example, " I will try my best"

3. SO AND THEREFORE

Note that, it is wrong to use "SO" and "THEREFORE" together or "STILL" and "YET" together. You must only use one.

For example:

- I know him, So therefore... (wrong)
- I know him, so... Or I know him, therefore.... (Correct)

4. PRESENTLY AND AT PRESENT

Note that the word " PRESENTLY" means "very soon". It does not mean "AT THE MOMENT". So, if you mean to say 'Now', say "AT PRESENT" or " AT THE MOMENT".

"I will see you presently", means I will "see you very soon"

5. " I was introduced to the Chairman and the Vice Chairman of company"

" I was introduced to the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the company"

I know many many will not be able to tell, which is right or wrong. Nevertheless, since the Chairman is not the same as the Vice Chairman, it is necessary you repeat the definite article (the).

6. "If I were wrong, I'd be the first to admit it."

" If I was wrong, I'd be the first to admit it."

Well, in this case, the first sentence is correct. This is because subjunctive mood requires "WERE", when the conjunction "IF" introduced a supposition.

7. "Nothing shall ever come between you and i,' he told her."

"Nothing shall ever come between you and me,' he told her."

The correct sentence here is, "Nothing shall ever come between you and me,' he told her." Because, the preposition "between", is always followed by the objective form of the pronoun.

8. "Can you imagine him forgetting a date like that?

"Can you imagine his forgetting a date like that?

The correct form here is the second sentence. Be the possessive case ( his) should be used for a pronoun followed by a gerund

9. It is worthy to Note that the response "HOW DO YOU DO" is not a question requiring a further answer by the one introducing himself or herself. However, in greetings, if. Mr A ask, "how do you do" Mr B will respond with "how do you do, too"

10. TO BATH / BATHE

To BATH, means "to wash the whole body" whereas "BATHE" means "to wash a path of the body, especially one which is in pain.

E.g " The doctor ordered that he BATHE his sprained fingers in tepid water"

Source:
www.myschoolnews.ga/2017/12/12-wrong-english-sentence-you-have-been.html?m=0#more

Having known all these, I hope you were very delighted.

Op number one is right . Birds of a feather and birds of same feathers means same thing one is old English the other is new
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by cloud9usher: 2:13pm On Dec 12, 2017
Seriously? I'm amazed considering the OP's submission about the word "presently."

The word "presently" can be used to refer to "happening soon" and "happening now" as well. Do these bloggers have any lexical training of any sort before posting gibberish on grammar?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by redsun(m): 2:14pm On Dec 12, 2017
English language is the most illogical language in the world ,ambiguous and self contradictory. You can't go wrong, just make yourself clear when you are not understood,especially if you are a colonised speaker.

Languages are created people and they are subject to alterations and changes as time passes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by zinaunreal(m): 2:20pm On Dec 12, 2017
Eh dey pay?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by basic23111: 2:21pm On Dec 12, 2017
Samstyle:
Hello everyone, today we will discuss some wrong English sentence/phrases that is prevalent among students. Most especially, in Nigeria.

I advise you read painstakingly and study the sentences, as they will help you improve your grammatical structure.

Now, let's get going.

1. BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHERS.

Note that the proverb " birds of a feather" is never "birds of the same feathers". The correct form of this is;

"Birds of a feather" Not "Birds of the same feathers"

2. POSSIBLE BEST or BEST POSSIBLE

Avoid the use of "BEST POSSIBLE" or "POSSIBLE BEST". Simply say "BEST".

For example, " I will try my best"

3. SO AND THEREFORE

Note that, it is wrong to use "SO" and "THEREFORE" together or "STILL" and "YET" together. You must only use one.

For example:

- I know him, So therefore... (wrong)
- I know him, so... Or I know him, therefore.... (Correct)

4. PRESENTLY AND AT PRESENT

Note that the word " PRESENTLY" means "very soon". It does not mean "AT THE MOMENT". So, if you mean to say 'Now', say "AT PRESENT" or " AT THE MOMENT".

"I will see you presently", means I will "see you very soon"

5. " I was introduced to the Chairman and the Vice Chairman of company"

" I was introduced to the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the company"

I know many many will not be able to tell, which is right or wrong. Nevertheless, since the Chairman is not the same as the Vice Chairman, it is necessary you repeat the definite article (the).

6. "If I were wrong, I'd be the first to admit it."

" If I was wrong, I'd be the first to admit it."

Well, in this case, the first sentence is correct. This is because subjunctive mood requires "WERE", when the conjunction "IF" introduced a supposition.

7. "Nothing shall ever come between you and i,' he told her."

"Nothing shall ever come between you and me,' he told her."

The correct sentence here is, "Nothing shall ever come between you and me,' he told her." Because, the preposition "between", is always followed by the objective form of the pronoun.

8. "Can you imagine him forgetting a date like that?

"Can you imagine his forgetting a date like that?

The correct form here is the second sentence. Be the possessive case ( his) should be used for a pronoun followed by a gerund

9. It is worthy to Note that the response "HOW DO YOU DO" is not a question requiring a further answer by the one introducing himself or herself. However, in greetings, if. Mr A ask, "how do you do" Mr B will respond with "how do you do, too"

10. TO BATH / BATHE

To BATH, means "to wash the whole body" whereas "BATHE" means "to wash a path of the body, especially one which is in pain.

E.g " The doctor ordered that he BATHE his sprained fingers in tepid water"

Source:
www.myschoolnews.ga/2017/12/12-wrong-english-sentence-you-have-been.html?m=0#more

Having known all these, I hope you were very delighted.

plz i do not understand
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by 1miccza: 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2017
jericco1:

how do you do?

Gbogbo wa la dudu ni naijeria o jare
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by hausadreturn(m): 2:23pm On Dec 12, 2017
Funny enough i've heard oyibo people using ''so therefore''
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by jericco1(m): 2:25pm On Dec 12, 2017
1miccza:

wetin you talk?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by jericco1(m): 2:25pm On Dec 12, 2017
1miccza:

wetin you talk?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by 1miccza: 2:27pm On Dec 12, 2017
jericco1:

wetin you talk?

A DO U DO
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Blackops(m): 2:29pm On Dec 12, 2017

1 Like

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Swaggzkid: 2:30pm On Dec 12, 2017
femi4:
Gbogbo wa la dudu ni Nigeria
English will be more nicegrin
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by FSLimited: 2:30pm On Dec 12, 2017
Op. You bath in bathtub, bathroom.

Bathe.... in the river, lake, sea.

Avoid the use of Bathe when you are going to have your bath in the bathroom or bathtub. Except you intend going to the river, lake or sea.
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
IF I DID IT TELL ME I DID IT, IF I DIDNT DID IT TELL ME I DIDNT DID IT. YOU== I DIDNT DID IT grin grin
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Ezumakingsley(m): 2:34pm On Dec 12, 2017
I am fining, i sweat.hw did you does too?!

A
Swaggzkid:

how do you do?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Nobody: 2:41pm On Dec 12, 2017
Post Admin, you should startup English lectures for all the NL slay queens and goats

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan 2012/13 Postume & Postgraduate Admission Begins / How To Solve Any Quadratic Equation Using The "Almighty" Formula / University Of Ibadan(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.