Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World (5786 Views)

Top 10 Bizarre African Practices Still In Existence (viewers Discretion) / 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) / Top 10 Bizarre African Practice Still In Existence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by spikedcylinder: 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2010
Some people collect stamps, others collect newspaper clippings (perhaps even toe nail clippings), and some even collect humans skulls and skins and penis castings.
All collections must have a beginning. Perhaps they are sparked from an indescribable fascination, or a love for something unique or odd.

1. Tattoos.
Dr Katsunari Fukushi’s full body inked skins are traditional Japanese “tebori” (hand-applied). With a goal to preserve and study, Fukushi’s collection includes one of a kind Yakuza skins dating as far back as the 1920’s. They can be viewed, on request, at the University of Tokyo.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/lp-bn5433-8-tm.jpg?w=350&h=262[/img]

2. Bones.
The “Bone Palace” of Ray Bandar is home to 7000 skulls. The only place free of this biologist’s collection is in the bedroom (at his wife’s demand). 79 year old Bender has been skull and bone collecting for more than 50 years! That’s dedication! With official permits in hand, he has been able to get his skulls from virtually anywhere around the globe. His specimens come from zoos, beaches, and even off the road.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/skullpalacelarge-tm.jpg?w=262&h=350[/img]

3. Medical Photos.
Dr. Stanley B. Burns Collection has a most revered historical photographic collection, with operating room images, depictions of diseases and the effects of war on the body, post mortem photos and malformations or anomalies, along with criminality behaviors depicted in public lynching and executions. It is the largest of it’s kind in the US, with more than 60,000 images.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/12213-tm.jpg?w=350&h=260[/img]

4. Freaks.
Peter the Great’s “Kunstkammer” is the result of 15 years of collecting the oddities and the rarities of Russia and the world, before making it available to the public in 1719. Animals with two heads or multiple legs or pickled punks are among Frederik Ruysch’s amazing anatomical dioramas (which included fetal skeletons surrounded by “trees” of their own preserved circulatory systems) and in the early days of the museum; live “freaks” were on display.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/1140538-tm.jpg?w=226&h=350[/img]

5. Death Masks.
Interested in obtaining a true likeness of great men, Laurence Hutton (1843-1904) set out to acquire death masks of historical or well-known figures. Some in the collection include Napoleon, Beethoven, Shakespeare, Goethe, Newton and Charles XII who was killed in battle (the bullet’s entry is visible above his right brow). Today the Hutton collection is housed at Princeton University and is available for viewing online.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/ex84-tm.jpg?w=215&h=350[/img]
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by spikedcylinder: 3:56pm On Mar 31, 2010
6. focal place Casts.
What began in 1968, as a way to “meet awesome men” and to fulfill a college assignment, led to Cynthia Plaster Caster casting famous (and not so famous) manlinesses. Rock stars and road manager’s make up most of her subjects. In the early days, Cynthia’s casting partner would permit the appropriate oral contact – in order to make a good impression. More recently she has included women in her collection. Jimmy Hendrix, Jello Biafra, and Karen O are among her better known donors.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/plastercasterbabble-tm.jpg?w=263&h=350[/img]

7. Murderabilia.
While the “killer clown”, John Wayne Gacy, was spending the rest of his life in jail, Rick Staton became his exclusive art dealer, becoming one of the first of America’s top collectors of murderabillia. Some well known “murderabillia” buyers include painter, Joe Coleman, Lux Interior and Poison Ivy from The Cramps and shock rock performer Marilyn Manson. The Son Of Sam Law does not allow a killer to profit from his crimes (i.e.: movies or books), but murderabillia has become an internet phenomenon and new laws have been difficult to pass, as first amendment rights are contested, so buying and selling is likely to continue. One proposal is the “Stop The Sale Of Murderabillia To Protect The Dignity Of Crime Victims Act”.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/gacypainting1-tm.jpg?w=350&h=262[/img]

8. Hair Collection.
They can be sold down to the follicle and by the inch! Lincoln, Kennedy, Monroe, Einstein, Lennon and Presley are among John Reznikoff’s hair reps. When Britney shaved her head, guess who was super eager to get her locks? Reznikoff became more widely known for his small donation of Beethoven’s hair to LifeGem, a memorial service company that made three synthetic diamonds from the resulting carbon.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/hair-for-wigs-tm.jpg?w=350&h=258[/img]

9. Preserved Heads.
For more than a year, General Horatio Gordon Robley (1840–1930) made detailed drawings, from life, of the early Maori (New Zealand’s earliest settlers) and their face and body tattoos. He also collected as many of their heads that he could, seeing them as works of art. When later searching for a buyer, the New Zealand government turned him down and all but the best five ended up in New York’s American Museum of Natural History. Over more recent years, New Zealand has been trying to get Robeley’s collection back, (along with other moko heads in different institutions), with varying success.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/340x-tm.jpg?w=288&h=350[/img]

10. Stuffed Animals.
Walter Potter (1835-1918), a self taught taxidermist, created strange tableaux of small dead animals, that he arranged in unnatural or humanlike situations. These include gambling rats being caught off guard in a raid, a couple of robins surrounding a tiny coffin in a funeral procession, and a yard filled with exercising toads. The collection was unfortunately broken up and sold at auction to different buyers in 2003.

[img]http://listverse.files./2008/05/rats-1-tm.jpg?w=350&h=175[/img]

http://listverse.com/2008/05/30/top-10-macabre-collectibles/
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Kunbee: 12:58am On Apr 01, 2010
The bones shocked shocked shocked
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by clemcykul(f): 1:56pm On Apr 01, 2010
scary and weird shocked
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by sulad82i(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2010
weird
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by envee(f): 2:17pm On Apr 01, 2010
really bizarre!!! shocked
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by felifeli: 2:18pm On Apr 01, 2010
Thank God our own problem is poverty and not insanity grin
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Pamperme: 2:21pm On Apr 01, 2010
Bones shocked shocked shocked shocked I will never step into such house talk less of sleeping; lailai cool
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by iice(f): 2:53pm On Apr 01, 2010
Must be the only one who doesn't find them bizarre or weird undecided
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by gee2(m): 3:14pm On Apr 01, 2010
soon, someone will start collecting living beings (humans) with authorised permit.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Mbeki: 4:31pm On Apr 01, 2010
gee.:

soon, someone will start collecting living beings (humans) with authorised permit.

Goto all these ritualist crib, you'll see a collection of live human being awaiting slaughter, at least these guys keep themselves busy with something that will eventually give them money someday.

the only thing we know how to do here is look for job that is not available.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Nobody: 5:32pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^
grin grin
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 01, 2010
Hmmm. . .Nice.

The 4th is really Freakish though.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Amjustme: 9:38pm On Apr 01, 2010
Either demonic or has a witchly association. I plead d blood of JESUS to cancel every -ve effect of dis pics on us.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Les: 9:53pm On Apr 01, 2010
Am just me:

Either demonic or has a witchly association. I plead d blood of JESUS to cancel every -ve effect of dis pics on us.
Ur nigerian mind is now telling u another thing, i tink u r d 1 hu is either demonic or has a witchly association. Anyway sha AMEN.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by southern1(f): 10:16pm On Apr 01, 2010
grin
I can understand and even relate to the bones one, I'm fascinated with skulls too, I developed that fascination while working in a coroner's office doing autopsies while I attended grad school. grin I just loved the skull and brain, I even had a thing for the spinal cord. Heck, I enjoyed performing the entire autopsy itself. I guess it's a good thing I chose the forensic science field or else I'd be considered extremely weird for having these fascinations. wink
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by waleski(m): 10:33pm On Apr 01, 2010
southern1:

grin
I can understand and even relate to the bones one, I'm fascinated with skulls too, I developed that fascination while working in a coroner's office doing autopsies while I attended grad school. grin I just loved the skull and brain, I even had a thing for the spinal cord. Heck, I enjoyed performing the entire autopsy itself. I guess it's a good thing I chose the forensic science field or else I'd be considered extremely weird for having these fascinations. wink
I see a potential torturist in d making
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by southern1(f): 10:38pm On Apr 01, 2010
waleski:

I see a potential torturist in d making

LOL!!!!!!!!!! No I would never do anyone any harm. cheesy I strictly love skulls etc from a scientific standpoint. Not from a torturist, serial killer or other devious standpoint. grin
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by latepa(m): 11:03pm On Apr 01, 2010
You wanna try Skulls cool
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by southern1(f): 3:12am On Apr 02, 2010
latepa:

You wanna try Skulls cool

wink
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by SwtzMinx(f): 4:40am On Apr 02, 2010
Weird!
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by iice(f): 5:22am On Apr 02, 2010
southern1:

grin
grin grin We share some fascinations lol
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by sammytb(m): 6:03am On Apr 02, 2010
GREAT JOB, I also love collections,
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by gowaga68: 8:41am On Apr 02, 2010
this are not bizarre at all ,nice collections.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Liss: 9:41am On Apr 02, 2010
shocked, Na wa o! This are serious collections! Whatever happened to collecting stamps, coins, wines and the likes

This one joblessness o! The things way people dey use their minds think, heh, na wa!
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by enomakos(m): 1:07pm On Apr 02, 2010
Am just me:

poor mind
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by enomakos(m): 1:17pm On Apr 02, 2010
what about wine collections?
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by Carlosein(m): 10:50pm On Apr 02, 2010
i've been fascinated by collectors all my life.
even tried my hands on collecting coins, stamps, insects and plants (no ask me how far o grin)

Am just me:

it takes a lot of discipline and dedication to do this. ignorance must indeed be bliss.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by alexichi(f): 11:12am On Apr 03, 2010
interesting!!!
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by southern1(f): 6:16pm On Apr 03, 2010
enomakos:

what about wine collections?

LOL, what about the other whine meaning round up and collect all the whiners/people who are always whining/complaining about something and put them on their own special island so the rest of us don't have to hear them whine. hahahahahahaha grin
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by bgees(m): 9:02am On Apr 06, 2010
No. 4 is really scary.

Japanese yakuza tatoos (irezumi) can actually take years to complete and it is done with bamboo sticks and ink. painful too.
Re: 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World by shotster50(m): 11:08pm On Apr 06, 2010
Very bizzarre but interesting,

(1) (Reply)

Funny Yoruba Language Learners. / How Do You Say MERRY CHRISTMAS In Your Native Language / Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.